Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38

Author Topic: Even newer questions to ponder  (Read 111119 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Even newer questions to ponder
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »

I was one of those people that came out of hiding and got a creative surge when they all decided to live together. It would probably take something like that to get me to write again. Besides Brian's heart surgery, I think another thing that sparked some stories was the hiatus and AJ's drama but more so how Nick dealt with it, naturally lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »

I commend anyone who writes in something other than their first language.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »

Thanks! Yes it is pretty hard to write in another language, but I continue to write the next chapter of my fanfic.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »

I know a lot of people wrote about the hiatus or when AJ went to rehab, and when Kevin left.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2017, 10:42:30 PM »

Not very well. :( I'll be lucky to get the short story I started finished before the end of summer.  I don't think I'll start on a novel for awhile.  I still keep coming up with new ideas and outlining them, but I'm having a hard time settling into anything.  Also, all my ideas are super depressing!  More so than usual, I mean LOL.  I feel like I need to write something light-hearted, but I never come up with light-hearted ideas.  Even the rare comedy/parody I do is always fairly dark.  Thanks for asking!

Aww that's too bad :( I hope you get your groove back soon. If it's any consolation, I enjoy your super depressing stories lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2017, 02:42:52 AM »

I agree! lol

Of course you'll get your true inspiration to write once school starts back up and you don't have the time.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »

Thanks, Steph!  I guess all my readers must feel that way, or I wouldn't have any. 

And yes, Mare, that's probably exactly what will happen... ugh!

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »

I was one of those people that came out of hiding and got a creative surge when they all decided to live together. It would probably take something like that to get me to write again. Besides Brian's heart surgery, I think another thing that sparked some stories was the hiatus and AJ's drama but more so how Nick dealt with it, naturally lol

I wish they would do that again; maybe then they'd actually get somewhere with this new album they keep saying they're working on!  I believe them, but it seems like it's taking forever, and I worry about the impact that them signing a new record deal will have on it.  I think it'll be good for publicity and maybe getting them back on the radio, but I hope they don't sacrifice the quality of their music to try too hard to sound like what's on the radio.  I feel like that's where they went wrong with This Is Us (and also, it didn't work).

Yes, I do remember stories about AJ going to rehab and that time period.  It's interesting what you said about Nick.  I was just thinking the other day about when they went on TRL to announce that AJ had gone to rehab.  I still vividly remember watching that live, and the image that sticks out most is of Nick sitting there with his hand in a cast, rubbing his hair and trying not to cry.  I wasn't even a Nick fan back then, but that has always stuck with me.  He definitely seemed to be taking it the hardest, and maybe that's why people focused on him.  Also, the hiatus is when he turned into a hot mess, so there's that, too.

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »

Since Stephanie (Mistral) has talked about writing in another language as a challenge she faced, what's something you find challenging when it comes to writing?  Are there any challenges you used to have that you've overcome?
~Julie

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2017, 10:25:26 PM »

Try a new type of fanfic just like I did right now with this fanfic I writing right now

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »

I wish they would do that again; maybe then they'd actually get somewhere with this new album they keep saying they're working on!  I believe them, but it seems like it's taking forever, and I worry about the impact that them signing a new record deal will have on it.  I think it'll be good for publicity and maybe getting them back on the radio, but I hope they don't sacrifice the quality of their music to try too hard to sound like what's on the radio.  I feel like that's where they went wrong with This Is Us (and also, it didn't work).

Ugh, yes that would be awesome! Nick said on Radio Disney (I think?) that they were going to have a single out next month. But who knows if that'll actually happen. I feel like that's more him being optimistic rather than the boys themselves being ready. It's good they're taking their time with this one, but they also did that with IAWLT and while that album was better than This Is Us it still didn't break radio. Hopefully with a major label backing them this time around that'll change. They are doing these radio shows and stuff now that they weren't before, so RCA really does seem to be here for them rather than just tolerating them like JIVE was at the end. I was really hoping they'd get a single out for their performance at Wango Tango. I feel like not having something new for that and for their Smooth Tour performances is really a missed opportunity.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »

Since Stephanie (Mistral) has talked about writing in another language as a challenge she faced, what's something you find challenging when it comes to writing?  Are there any challenges you used to have that you've overcome?

I definitely had to learn how to flesh out a story better rather than just writing filler to make a story seem longer. In my early days of writing I struggled to have my chapters be longer and I feel like they lacked a lot of substance. Now I feel like I've got a better handle on how to craft a story that builds as it goes on. I remember when I was writing In Pieces I had this portion of the story where Nick's basically completely freaked out he's got his gf pregnant and then a couple months later he comes around. But instead of showing him coming around and explaining why he did... I just skipped ahead two months in the story LOL.

Oh I also used to be super uncomfortable writing sex scenes. They still aren't my favourite thing to write just because I think they're boring, but I've written so many of them now that at least I'm not squicked out by them anymore.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »

Ugh, yes that would be awesome! Nick said on Radio Disney (I think?) that they were going to have a single out next month. But who knows if that'll actually happen. I feel like that's more him being optimistic rather than the boys themselves being ready. It's good they're taking their time with this one, but they also did that with IAWLT and while that album was better than This Is Us it still didn't break radio. Hopefully with a major label backing them this time around that'll change. They are doing these radio shows and stuff now that they weren't before, so RCA really does seem to be here for them rather than just tolerating them like JIVE was at the end. I was really hoping they'd get a single out for their performance at Wango Tango. I feel like not having something new for that and for their Smooth Tour performances is really a missed opportunity.

Agreed on all points.  I also saw that interview where Nick said they'd have a single out within a month, which is encouraging.  I doubt it will actually be within the month because of Backstreet Time, but hopefully that at least means single out this year, album early next year.  I know they can move fast if they want to.  I don't mind them taking their time either, but I just hope they're not scrapping a bunch of songs they wrote themselves and recorded before securing the record deal in favor of songs by big-name producers that may be more radio-friendly, but will probably also be more generic.  I want them to retain creative control and keep contributing to the writing and producing of their own music as much as possible.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »

Try a new type of fanfic just like I did right now with this fanfic I writing right now

That's always a good way to challenge yourself, by trying something new and different!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2017, 08:45:58 PM »

I definitely had to learn how to flesh out a story better rather than just writing filler to make a story seem longer. In my early days of writing I struggled to have my chapters be longer and I feel like they lacked a lot of substance. Now I feel like I've got a better handle on how to craft a story that builds as it goes on. I remember when I was writing In Pieces I had this portion of the story where Nick's basically completely freaked out he's got his gf pregnant and then a couple months later he comes around. But instead of showing him coming around and explaining why he did... I just skipped ahead two months in the story LOL.

Oh I also used to be super uncomfortable writing sex scenes. They still aren't my favourite thing to write just because I think they're boring, but I've written so many of them now that at least I'm not squicked out by them anymore.

Those are both good ones.  I think the first is something every writer has to learn.  I know I definitely did.  First I had to learn to add more detail and description... show, not tell, basically.  Then I started putting in too MUCH filler and "subplots" that didn't really add much to the story.  So now I'm trying to find the right balance between showing what's important and skipping what's not.  I try to make sure every scene I write has a purpose, whether it's moving the story forward or developing the characters and/or relationships.

I hear you with the sex scenes, too.  Just out of curiosity, do you prefer writing het sex scenes or slash ones?  Any slash writer can answer that question as well, if you want to.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38