Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: Even newer questions to ponder  (Read 111220 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Even newer questions to ponder
« on: June 14, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »

Just a continuation.. .

If I can think of a new question, I'll put it here. For now, I got nothing lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Even newer questions to ponder
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:07:14 PM »

Continuing the thread from the last one, when I work on a new chapter I go back and read the older chapters sometimes it helps with the flow of the story.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:24:28 PM »

I have to do that too, or I would probably forget things I'd written earlier in the story and lose some of the continuity.  If it didn't take me so long to finish a story, it would probably be easier to remember all the details LOL.  I also like to sit on chapters for at least a day or two so I can re-read them before I post them (but not right after finishing them) because I'm more likely to revise that way.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 03:22:10 AM »

When I first started writing, I would post my chapters immediately after writing them. Later on, I always made sure to write ahead of myself and would wait at least a few days before allowing myself to edit what I wrote. I found more mistakes that way. Thinking back, I used to do the same thing. Reread the last chapter or at least skim through it depending on how long it took me to start writing the next one.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 03:24:43 AM »

When you finish a story, like you just did Julie, do you like to take a break before you start a new one or do you jump right into it?

When you write, do you tend to only wrote nice story at a time or do you like to multi task?

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »

I haven't completed a story in a while so I can't really think of an answer to that, however I do work on more than one, especially at the moment with the new project and Take Me Home.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:17:34 PM »

LOL Tracy...  I also finish stories so infrequently, I'm sitting here going, "Hm... what DO I usually do?"  I used to start a brand new story right away, but the last few years I've always had another story or two in progress to go back to, so I guess I've just attempted to do that.

I told myself I was going to take a break after finishing SAMS, but it's been two days, and I'm already like, "...okay, now what?"  I've already thought of two new story ideas in the last two weeks, so I probably will be either starting something new or hopefully updating something old at some point soon.  I'm not gonna go the rest of my summer vacation without writing.

I guess I'm a multitasker when it comes to writing.  I usually seem to have a main project, a side project, and a collaboration in the works at the same time.  Sometimes it's nice to have options, but I do kinda wish I would be able to get back down to writing just one story at a time.  That would require me to actually finish some of these "side projects" before starting something new, though, which is not likely to happen.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »

I actually went to look at IAWLT to see how I could either rework it or finish it and I didn't realize I'd even posted 19 chapters of it lol. But I love some of it and I even came up with some more depth for Russell, I think I might attempt to do a reboot.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 05:35:59 AM »

That's great!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »

When I finish something it's usually because I'm in writing mode, so I will probably start something new right away. Or continue something else I have in progress - which leads into the other question LOL. I never just have one story on the go. I've just gotten better about only posting something I'm finished or committed to finishing. Actually, I just finished something and was going to start posting when I was two chapters from the end, but I forced myself to wait until I was done.

I also find that I write a lot more longer one shots now than I used to. Something that's 20K without being split up into chapters is nice to have on the side and pick up whenever I'm bored and want to write a little bit.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 10:01:11 PM »

YAY, the forum works again!!

I wish I was more of a one-shot writer.  I find those are nice when you're between novels or suffering from writer's block; they're a good way to get the creative juices flowing without the commitment of a novel.  I just don't get many ideas that would work best as a short story.

What's your favorite one-shot/short story you've written and read?
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »

My favourite one-shot I've written was a Titanic AU. I wrote it in 1D fandom for this movie AU ficathon. I originally wasn't going to participate in it, but I was looking through the prompts and someone threw Titanic in there with a Niall/Harry pairing... it was basically the fic I was born to write LOL. I was also lucky enough to have two really good betas for that one, they made the story a million times better than it would have been if I'd just written it and read it over for errors myself.

My favourite one-shot I've read has to be Mare's birthday box story about Nick. That one where he goes through all of his past birthdays and puts a piece of himself for each year of his life into the box. It was a nice way of going through Nick's journey so far in pieces and looking at how far he's come. I loved it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »

LOL So Niall and Harry were Jack and Rose?  That is epic.

I loved when Mare would write a one-shot every year for Nick's birthday.  I remember the birthday box story; that was a good one.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »

Aww thanks ladies!

I enjoy writing one-shots and like I've said before, I think if I were to write anymore fanfic it would only be one-shots.

My favorite one-shot is Documentaries by Izzy. It's an oldie but still one of my all time favorites.

A favorite that I wrote was my very first one-shot I wrote for Nick's birthday which was To the Magnificent Nickolas Carter. I just really liked the idea of Nick writing a letter to himself when he grew up.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 01:44:16 AM »

Favorite one shot? Wow there's so many but I know one of my favorites was for the 1,000 WAYS To Kill Nick Carter spinoff... When Julie had Nick kill the fan and baked her into muffins. No lie- I have not been able to touch a blueberry muffin since reading that. I can't even explain it to anyone cause they won't get it lol

As far as my favorite one I have written, it would have to be Changes http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11272&chapter=1  because I feel I captured Kevin in first person POV. I hadn't written him much before.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38