Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Author Topic: Even newer questions to ponder  (Read 112332 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Even newer questions to ponder
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2017, 12:52:20 AM »

I noticed that the keytar-playing platypus avy shows up when I'm on my laptop, but when I'm on my desktop computer, I still see your old orange avy that has a quote about writing on it.  Must be a cookies issue or something.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2017, 01:02:40 AM »

Do you guys write down all the story ideas you get, and do you ever go back and look at the ones you don't end up actually writing?  Have you ever used an old idea to write a new story years later?

I am doing the WADD (Writer's ADD) thing I do whenever I finish a novel where I want to still be writing, but can't decide what to write.  I have too many ideas bouncing around in my brain.  So I threw a poll up on my site and on Twitter to get some reader input, just to see if their preferences would push me in one direction or another.  I did this one other time like 10 years ago when I was close to finishing By My Side, so just for kicks, I used the Wayback Machine to find where I'd posted all the story ideas I was considering at that time: https://web.archive.org/web/20041121170941/http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com:80/nextstory.html  What's sad is that of the six ideas I posted then, I've only turned one of them into a story (Guilty Roads, which was #4), and I haven't even finished that one.  The ideas that seem to turn into successful stories for me are the ones that I start writing right away and don't sit on forever.  I still have outlines and research saved for a couple of those old ideas, and the other two keep evolving into newer versions of the same basic premise, but I have yet to actually write any of them.  Just wondered if anyone has a success story about taking an old idea and turning it into something worth posting.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »

I have so many ideas that I've shelved. Take Me Home was a idea I sat on for like a couple months before I started to write it. I have notebooks full of stuff I wrote in high school, stories I started and never finished. Incomplete came from one of those notebooks. So my answer would be yes.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 03:45:06 AM »

I noticed that the keytar-playing platypus avy shows up when I'm on my laptop, but when I'm on my desktop computer, I still see your old orange avy that has a quote about writing on it.  Must be a cookies issue or something.

It didn't show up for me until I powered the IPad down and then back up. I was seeing my old when when you asked about the new one lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 03:48:05 AM »

The Importance of Fly Fishing was originally supposed to be about the two of them doing the Amazing Race, but I couldn't come up with all the other teams they'd have to compete against.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2017, 04:25:01 AM »

Oh wow, I never knew that!  I think it turned out better just focusing on Kevin and Nick and not the distractions of having all those other teams, but the Amazing Race premise is interesting.

Anyone else ever thought of writing a story about the guys competing in a reality show?  I know Steph did the one with Bot Fly Jordan, and there's an old one called Survivor about BSB and NSYNC competing on the show Survivor that was actually a really good story.  Other than those two, I can't think of any fanfics with that premise that I've read other than maybe some parodies back in the day.  I'm surprised I haven't seen one about Dancing With the Stars pop up in the past couple years!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2017, 05:49:01 AM »

I think Refuse or someone Refuse-ish did a take on That Reality show that used to be on MTV where they all went to a haunted place and scared the bejesus out of them. Was it called Fear? Something like that. I think it would be fun to put them into that kind of setting. Or maybe ghost hunters lol

I'm surprised there were no Nick and Sharna love stories as well.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »

Oh wow, I never knew that!  I think it turned out better just focusing on Kevin and Nick and not the distractions of having all those other teams, but the Amazing Race premise is interesting.

Anyone else ever thought of writing a story about the guys competing in a reality show?  I know Steph did the one with Bot Fly Jordan, and there's an old one called Survivor about BSB and NSYNC competing on the show Survivor that was actually a really good story.  Other than those two, I can't think of any fanfics with that premise that I've read other than maybe some parodies back in the day.  I'm surprised I haven't seen one about Dancing With the Stars pop up in the past couple years!

That was my issue with the Amazing Race storyline. I knew I'd have to also focus on the other teams and I didn't want to take away from Kevin and Nick's relationship.

Did you figure out what you're going to write? Of course I voted for the Kevin and Nick one lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 03:07:42 PM »

Sorry for not being around, my Internet connection has been crappy but now that I'm not on the main part of the strip its better.

I wrote a one shot that had to do with DWTS and included a conversation with Nick, Sharna Derek and Bindi. I'm honestly shocked that there weren't more stories about that lol cause Nick and Sharna had a lot of chemistry.

I wrote a Survivor type story with NSYNC but I never posted it. It was on fanfiction.net before I lost everything when they took away real person fics.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »

That was my issue with the Amazing Race storyline. I knew I'd have to also focus on the other teams and I didn't want to take away from Kevin and Nick's relationship.

Did you figure out what you're going to write? Of course I voted for the Kevin and Nick one lol

No, I still keep jumping around.  I might do the ER story first just because that one is already started and won't be a very long story; I could probably write the whole thing this summer if I could just focus and get going on it.  But the Kevin/Nick one is the one I've been thinking about most the last two days.  I want to write that one eventually because I've never really written a Kevin novel... I don't think Guilty Roads counts because he's been in a coma most of the story LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »

Sorry for not being around, my Internet connection has been crappy but now that I'm not on the main part of the strip its better.

I wrote a one shot that had to do with DWTS and included a conversation with Nick, Sharna Derek and Bindi. I'm honestly shocked that there weren't more stories about that lol cause Nick and Sharna had a lot of chemistry.

I wrote a Survivor type story with NSYNC but I never posted it. It was on fanfiction.net before I lost everything when they took away real person fics.

My connection was crappy there too!

I think Nick and Sharna had great chemistry, though not necessarily romantic.  (I love Lauren, though.)  But yeah, I'm surprised she hasn't been featured in more stories.  If the fandom were more active, I'm sure she would have been.

That still annoys me about fanfic.net, but that site is almost too big... it's probably better that we had to go and find our own places to post stories.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »

I think Refuse or someone Refuse-ish did a take on That Reality show that used to be on MTV where they all went to a haunted place and scared the bejesus out of them. Was it called Fear? Something like that. I think it would be fun to put them into that kind of setting. Or maybe ghost hunters lol

Ohh yeah... I don't think I read that one, but I kind of remember what you're talking about.  That is a good idea!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »

My connection was crappy there too!

I think Nick and Sharna had great chemistry, though not necessarily romantic.  (I love Lauren, though.)  But yeah, I'm surprised she hasn't been featured in more stories.  If the fandom were more active, I'm sure she would have been.

That still annoys me about fanfic.net, but that site is almost too big... it's probably better that we had to go and find our own places to post stories.

Yeah I had lost everything and had to start completely over.. Luckily my friend saved some of my stuff but not all. I ended up rewriting a ton of my stories I'd posted though

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »

That would be so hard to do.  I hate rewriting.  I don't think I could do it.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »

Ugh, I remember when Fanfiction.net pulled that and got rid of all the RP stories. I had everything I'd posted on there in word documents anyway, but it really did kill my writing for many years because I didn't have anywhere to post anything. I was super into BSB in 2005, and I didn't write a word of fic. I suppose I could have made my own website, but posting on a collaborative site is so much easier.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38