Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: Even newer questions to ponder  (Read 112359 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Even newer questions to ponder
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »

And also, sorry for not being around much.  Real life gets in the way :(  I've ended up moving house again and we've had to renovate Tim's house as the people he rented it out to completely trashed the place :(

Oh no, what a hassle!  Sorry about the renovations.  I hope you're enjoying your new house!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The only song on there that I find "meh" is I Will Wait, lol. But the rest of them are so much fun! It is a very Nick album for sure, and it speaks to where he is with his life now. He's happy and content, and he's not trying too hard to force out a serious introspective album. I sort of feel like it's what he wanted to do with Now or Never, only now he's older and more mature and able to more effectively walk the line between songs that aren't overly serious, and songs that are just plain stupid. Not having a label breathing down his neck and making bad decisions is working in his favour as well.

That's a great point about Now or Never, and I can definitely see that.  Now or Never had more fun songs on it too, but like you said, some of them were really stupid.  There are maybe a couple of "stupid" songs on All American, but they are so catchy, I can't help but love them!  The song All American is one of my favorites on the album because it's just so freaking catchy that I can overlook the fact that it's literally about a girl's ass and uses Kim Kardashian as an example of being "All American."  I can't say the same for songs like Is it Saturday Yet.

Nick is actually a really good songwriter.  I'm not sure if he would have been able to write songs of the same caliber in the NoN days, but I think most of the stuff he's written in the last few years has been super catchy musically and clever lyrically, and that can't be easy to do.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »

I love Millennium a lot more now than I did back in the day, actually. I remember when I was younger listening to mostly the first three tracks, and occasionally listening to It's Gotta Be You. I never listened to any of the slower ones, but now that I'm older I appreciate them a lot more. Like Don't Wanna Lose You Now - I often skipped it when I was 13. I never skip it now. Spanish Eyes too.

Millennium is the first BSB album that I actually did listen to all the way through.  The US debut I only listened to about half of for at least the first year I had it.  I think some of the ballads toward the end of Millennium (Back to Your Heart, Spanish Eyes, No One Else Comes Close) are a little boring, but I still like them and don't usually skip.  Don't Wanna Lose You Now is still my all-time favorite BSB song.  It wasn't my favorite the first time I heard it, but I remember the moment, maybe a couple months after that album came out, when I was listening to it and thought, "Wow, this song is really beautiful."  It just struck a chord in me one day, and I've loved it ever since.

One song on Millennium I didn't used to appreciate nearly as much as I do now is Don't Want You Back.  That seems to be a favorite among a lot of people I know, but it was never one of my favorites on that album.  I've always liked it, but remember when we got to vote on TRL for the third single, and it was between It's Gotta Be You, Don't Want You Back, and The One?  Don't Want You Back would have been my last choice at that time.  Now it would probably be my second choice (I still love The One, which is what I voted for).  Seeing them sing it on the IAWLT tour gave me a newfound love for Don't Want You Back!  I loved their choreography for it.

Does anyone else have songs that they didn't love until they saw them live?  Panic and Love Somebody are two more examples I can think of for myself.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »

My opinion on This Is Us is the same now as it was when it came out - it's a hot pile of garbage with one good song. Nick's incredible vocals are completely wasted on the material here.

Here's a question - knowing what we know now about the group and the issues they were having, what's everyone's opinions on Black and Blue? Maybe we've talked about this before. I know the boys say that it was rushed out, which is totally true. It came out a year and a half after Millennium! That is just crazy to think about. There are some gems on that album for sure - The Call, Get Another Boyfriend, Everyone and Time come to mind. Do you think if they'd had more time that the album would have been better, or were they so burnt out that it wouldn't have mattered? Would it have sounded more like Millennium or would it have gone further back into their R&B roots?

LOL!  What's the one good song?  Most of you would probably go with Undone, but my favorite is This Is Us.  I still love Straight Through My Heart too, but some of the others that were favorites at the time - If I Knew Then, Masquerade - I'm not as into anymore.  That is my least favorite album of theirs in general, though.

I feel the same way about Black & Blue as I do Unbreakable - I think there are definitely some gems on it, but there are also too many throwaway songs that could have been replaced with something better.  That said, I think Black & Blue has held up better than Unbreakable for me.  Maybe it's just because the singles from that album I consider "classics," whereas they just seemed to forget about the whole Unbreakable album, singles included (although the singles they chose from that album wouldn't have been my choice of singles anyway).  I still love many of the songs on B&B that weren't singles too, like Answer to Our Life, Everyone, Get Another Boyfriend, Not for Me, and How Did I Fall in Love With You.  But with the exception of HDIFILWY and MTT, the ballads on that album are really blah, and that's where I think they could have taken more time to get better songs.

I'm not sure if their overall sound would have changed; I think B&B is very reflective of the "boyband sound" at that time.  It's the album where I thought their music was most similar to NSync's style... which I don't mean as a diss.  I kinda like the cheesy late 90s/early 2000s boyband style of song.  I think that's why I've always loved One Phone Call, cause it sounds like a cheesy boyband throwback LOL.  I prefer that style or pop or pop/rock to the super old-school, Boys II Men-ish R&B though.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »

The scissors the scissors the scissors lol

I think I mentally blocked Unbrakable out of my mind, but I do get This is Us and Unbreakable confused. I really am a bad fan. I thought The One was on Black and Blue lol oops
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2017, 05:04:09 PM »

LOL!  Oh Mare.  I still think of you when I hear Brian's verse of One Phone Call (the "I got to hold your... head on my shoulder" part) and picture him walking around carrying a decapitated head on his shoulder.  Thanks for that! :P
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 03:58:21 AM »

LOL!  Oh Mare.  I still think of you when I hear Brian's verse of One Phone Call (the "I got to hold your... head on my shoulder" part) and picture him walking around carrying a decapitated head on his shoulder.  Thanks for that! :P

He he
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 05:10:52 AM »

LOL I first read that as "I love my crazy Brian."  I love your crazy brain too - AND Crazy Brian!  I really think we need a story about Crazy Brian going around chopping people's heads off.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2017, 08:32:38 AM »

LOL!  What's the one good song?  Most of you would probably go with Undone, but my favorite is This Is Us.  I still love Straight Through My Heart too, but some of the others that were favorites at the time - If I Knew Then, Masquerade - I'm not as into anymore.  That is my least favorite album of theirs in general, though.

Haha the one good song is Bigger! This Is Us isn't terrible either, though. I don't get the love for Undone. Their vocals are nice on it, but it's just blah for me.

As for Black & Blue, I tend to agree. There are just too many throw away songs on it, particularly with the ballads. Oh, also I forgot about that Shining Star song, lol. That sounds like it could've been an Nsync song... Nick wrote it, didn't he? I'm glad his songwriting skills have improved since then.

One Phone Call is really good in that cheesy boyband way. It's one of my favourites off of IAWLT. I had the Nick answering machine bridge part as my ringtone for a long time LOL.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »

Ah, Bigger!  I'm not a huge fan of Bigger... I don't know why because it's a catchy song; it's just not my favorite.  I feel the same way about Undone.  It's a decent song, and it was fun to see them sing it again in Vegas, but it's not my favorite either.

I HATE Shining Star... although I will say, that one was better in concert (going way back to the B&B tour) than it is on the album.  Nick and Howie wrote that one, and I think they are the two best songwriters in the group, but that was a fail. LOL

I still have One Phone Call as a ringtone for when my BSB friends call!  I love that Nick answering machine part LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2017, 02:07:24 PM »

What's your favorite part that each boy sings in a BSB song?  For example, Nick's answering machine bridge in One Phone Call might be your favorite Nick solo.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2017, 07:21:32 AM »

I feel like I missed a lot around here lol. I don't really have answers to these questions but I love reading everybody's responses :) I'm home and had to work last night so I had to catch up on things before bed.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »

Welcome back!  Looks like you had an awesome time in Vegas!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »

This is tough! But I think I'm going to go with:

I've got this feeling you're not gonna stay / it's burning within me Brian in Don't Wanna Lose You Now. Just the way that his voice comes in after the chorus and the production keeps the song building has always stuck with me. He sounds really great on this song.

Time will always be our enemy / For tonight baby, Come lie here next to me / I can never get enough of your blue eyes / Just another butterfly sigh Kevin in Trust Me. His voice is suited so nicely to this song, and I love how he sings the last part of this verse drawing out the "butterfly sigh" part. Plus, as a whole, it was refreshing to hear him on this album after he'd been gone for so long. I hadn't realised it, but I'd really missed his voice.

When this whole world gets too crazy / And there's nowhere left to go / I know you give me sanctuary / You're the only truth I know / You're the road back home AJ in Safest Place to Hide. I think this is the perfect example of his voice - he starts off sounding normal and as his verse builds he adds more power behind it. And then he leads into the chorus with the other guys harmonizing behind him. It's lovely.

Is it bad that I had a hard time finding an example for Howie? Poor Howie, but I will say that he sounds really nice at the beginning of Trouble Is. Specifically this part: How fooled was I into thinking / I was gonna be alright Okay / Fine

I have a million examples for Nick, so strap in LOL.

There's no more blindness / When I cry I'm smilin' / You kept me from dyin' / And I know with you I'll keep on livin' from Rush Over Me. Especially the "You kept me from dyin'" part, he hangs onto the last word for so long and it sounds so raw. Also I just discovered this song like, a month ago, so there's that. It's new for me! lol

Nick's dramatic I'm waitin' / I'm waitin'... in the background at the end of Siberia. Also in Siberia when Nick can be heard the most over the second chorus. That kills me.

Also Nick screaming at the end of the bridge in Safest Place to Hide.

I also really like Nick's verse in God, Your Mama, and Me. Especially this part, Loud as shotgun, angels singing with the radio / Praying with you every mile down any dead end road he doesn't try overly hard to sound too country, but the way he sings "radio" and "dead end road" does have a bit of twang to it haha. I thought he walked the line between country band and boyband well there.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2017, 02:22:29 PM »

All those are so good!!  I will post mine at some point, but Nick's "I'm waiting, I'm waiting" in Siberia is one of my favorites too.  And I love Brian's verse of DWLYN!

I'm struggling the most with AJ's, so I will have to listen to some music and come back.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38