Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38

Author Topic: Even newer questions to ponder  (Read 111168 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Even newer questions to ponder
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2017, 11:42:40 PM »

Okay, favorite parts:

For Howie, it's his verse of Show Me the Meaning:  "There's nowhere to run, I have no place to go. Surrender my heart, body, and soul..."  I've always loved how he sings it live, the run he does on the word "soul."  Example: https://youtu.be/05Xatd_5WS4?t=4m7s

For Brian, it's his solo in More Than That right before the last chorus:  "I will love you more than that, I won't say the words, then take them back."  https://youtu.be/1OwfYjemrYw  I've always thought that was the most beautiful section of the whole Black & Blue album.

For Kevin, it's a tie between his verse on Drowning (especially "Love me mouth to mouth now") and his verse on Show 'Em What You're Made Of (especially "Like a lion, I will survive"). I love both parts lyrically as well as musically.

For Nick, I'd probably have to go with the chorus of Incomplete, especially when I can watch him sing it to see the angsty facial expressions.  Bonus points for doing the "Oh-oh-ohh..." after the last "incomplete" (which I cannot for the life of me find a video of), and double bonus if he drops to his knees onstage.

I had the hardest time with AJ, but I finally realized it's his verse in Take Care, especially "I can hold you while you cry, you know!"  That is one of my favorite parts of the whole IAWLT album.

Honorable mention goes to Kevin and Howie for their verses at the beginning of Feels Like Home, especially Howie's "Senoritas greet us sipping margaritas on the beach..."  I've always loved how that line sounds, and I love how Kevin sounds in general on that song!

And another honorable mention for favorite duet goes to Kevin and Brian in Nobody But You.  I only listen to that song for their part together... "Somebody tell me cause I can't eat or sleep when you're not close to my body, you're a bittersweet delight... come and help me through the night."  That is not one of my favorite songs, but I will rewind just to listen to that part over again.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this one before, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.  Someone tweeted me this question:  "Seriously, why is Nick always the fanfic kick puppy?"  In other words, why do we like to torture Nick so much?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this one before, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.  Someone tweeted me this question:  "Seriously, why is Nick always the fanfic kick puppy?"  In other words, why do we like to torture Nick so much?

I'm gonna come back to the song question but this question had me dying lmao. I think it's because Nick's the most popular one. You pick on those you love, or at least we do! That and for the longest time he had the most drama, was the most visible. AJ was a close second so it's easy to picture everything bad happening to him from a reader or writer standpoint.

He's a good victim, what can I say LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »

I agree with that.  Aside from the obvious popularity factor, I think it's because Nick has always seemed the most vulnerable.  In the early days, it was because he was the baby of the group, so it was fun to hurt him and have the other guys either taking care of him or trying to protect him or feeling frustrated that they couldn't.  And then, like you said, as he got older, he just seemed to have the most issues, so it was easy to exploit that and get him involved in situations that wouldn't necessarily be believable for the other guys.

I think, for me, his lack of close family ties until he married Lauren and had Odin is also partly what made me switch from Brian to Nick as my "kick puppy" because it was just easier than finding ways to write out the wife and kid.  In short, I torture Nick because he makes it so easy!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:07:02 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »

For Howie, it's his verse of Show Me the Meaning:  "There's nowhere to run, I have no place to go. Surrender my heart, body, and soul..."  I've always loved how he sings it live, the run he does on the word "soul."  Example: https://youtu.be/05Xatd_5WS4?t=4m7s

I forgot about this! He really does sound great singing that part live.

Honorable mention goes to Kevin and Howie for their verses at the beginning of Feels Like Home, especially Howie's "Senoritas greet us sipping margaritas on the beach..."  I've always loved how that line sounds, and I love how Kevin sounds in general on that song!

I remember being really annoyed with this part when IAWLT first came out, and now it's one of my favourite parts on the CD, lol. That whole song is really a jam.

As for poor, tortured Nick, I think it's sort of a combination of him being the most popular and him having the most issues. It's weird to say because AJ also had a lot of issues but there seems to be waaay more stories about Nick having drama rather than AJ. It's not just a matter of Nick romance either, it's anything! It could also be that he would give the best, most dramatic reaction in any situation just from what we've seen of him. The rest of them are more rational. Example:

*A hole opens up in the sky, the pending apocalypse is here*

Howie and Kevin: Oh, we read about this in The Globe and Mail. Good thing we combined our forces and built a bunker. Everyone into the bunker!
AJ: *Lights a cigarette* Well, this blows.
Brian: *Clutches his bible*
Nick: ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! How can this be happening?! I've got two girls waiting in my bed and after that I'm moving into my twentieth house on the beach. Everything is terrible. I should have patched things up with my family. No, I shouldn't have, they're terrible. I'm in such crisis! Brian's praying - I bet he won't save my soul. We used to be best friends AND NOW WE'RE NOT.
Howie and Kevin: *Drag Nick to the bunk while he clutches his beautiful blonde head, crying the whole way*

Well, that got away from me a little bit LOL.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2017, 10:38:48 PM »

LMFAO!!  That is so true!

You know, hearing Nick talk about the stereotypical boyband roles, like the bad boy, the heartthrob, etc. in his press for Boyband, I've realized that Nick was actually the "bad boy" of BSB, not AJ.  AJ just got labeled that because he has the "look," but other than his addiction issues, he's not a bad boy at all.  Nick has gotten into way more trouble and had way more issues than AJ ever did, at least from what we know.  I do think that's why he's more interesting to write about, all the issues and drama he's had.  You have to manufacture drama for Kevin, Brian, and Howie.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2017, 02:33:26 AM »

Like all of you were saying, I think Nick is by far the easiest to torture because of his overly dramatic life. He seems like such an open book to his fans, it made it easy to just emulate what was going on based on real life events where the others were much more private with that stuff, minus AJ. He does also seem the most vulnerable which makes it easy to take advantage of. And let's face it, he is by far the most popular one of the group. People would tend to read a Nick centered story over any of the others.

I'm not sure if Nick knows what privacy is. All he's ever really known is life in the public eye. I bet even before he became famous, neighbors were all probably very aware of all the Carter drama. It's in their DNA. I can see them standing out in the backyard just screaming at each other with neighbors watching through half closed blinds saying, "Lord...there they go again!"

It is weird though because I really do feel like AJ should be as easy of a target, but like I've always said about AJ, he's odd. There's something about him that makes him less writable and interesting even though he seems like he should by far be the most entertaining one.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:35:35 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2017, 03:15:31 AM »

I bet you're so right about the Carter clan back in the day.

I agree with you about AJ.  I have written stories about him and tortured him before, but not nearly as much as Nick and Brian.  And that was a long time ago; I don't even remember the last time I wrote an AJ story.  I started one a few years ago that I never posted and probably won't keep writing.  I like him better as a supporting character than a main character.  I don't know if that's because it's hard to get inside his head or if it's just because I prefer Nick and Brian.  I do think AJ gets typecast as being the "rebel" and all that more than he actually is just going back to his stage persona from the early days.  He is an oddball, and he does have his issues, but like I said, I don't really consider him to be a "bad boy" at all.  I think he's a teddy bear.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2017, 06:02:47 AM »

I forgot about this! He really does sound great singing that part live.

I remember being really annoyed with this part when IAWLT first came out, and now it's one of my favourite parts on the CD, lol. That whole song is really a jam.

As for poor, tortured Nick, I think it's sort of a combination of him being the most popular and him having the most issues. It's weird to say because AJ also had a lot of issues but there seems to be waaay more stories about Nick having drama rather than AJ. It's not just a matter of Nick romance either, it's anything! It could also be that he would give the best, most dramatic reaction in any situation just from what we've seen of him. The rest of them are more rational. Example:

*A hole opens up in the sky, the pending apocalypse is here*

Howie and Kevin: Oh, we read about this in The Globe and Mail. Good thing we combined our forces and built a bunker. Everyone into the bunker!
AJ: *Lights a cigarette* Well, this blows.
Brian: *Clutches his bible*
Nick: ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! How can this be happening?! I've got two girls waiting in my bed and after that I'm moving into my twentieth house on the beach. Everything is terrible. I should have patched things up with my family. No, I shouldn't have, they're terrible. I'm in such crisis! Brian's praying - I bet he won't save my soul. We used to be best friends AND NOW WE'RE NOT.
Howie and Kevin: *Drag Nick to the bunk while he clutches his beautiful blonde head, crying the whole way*

Well, that got away from me a little bit LOL.

LMFAO THIS IS SO ACCURATE!

I've told Julie this but one of the ideas I have on the backburner is basically the BSB spin of This Is The End and what happened to the Boys before they finally got pulled up into heaven. That's probably who I'd have freak out first, is Nick. He's so melodramatic it just fits.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2017, 06:04:53 AM »

I bet you're so right about the Carter clan back in the day.

I agree with you about AJ.  I have written stories about him and tortured him before, but not nearly as much as Nick and Brian.  And that was a long time ago; I don't even remember the last time I wrote an AJ story.  I started one a few years ago that I never posted and probably won't keep writing.  I like him better as a supporting character than a main character.  I don't know if that's because it's hard to get inside his head or if it's just because I prefer Nick and Brian.  I do think AJ gets typecast as being the "rebel" and all that more than he actually is just going back to his stage persona from the early days.  He is an oddball, and he does have his issues, but like I said, I don't really consider him to be a "bad boy" at all.  I think he's a teddy bear.

AJ is totally a teddy bear. Oddly that makes him odder to write when you combine that with all his quirks and issues. I write him best when I focus on one aspect and blow it up bigger. In undead that was his issues, in other fics it's his quirks where he becomes a comic relief.

Funny thing is, in real life comic relief probably belongs more to Howie LOL.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »

LMFAO!!  That is so true!

You know, hearing Nick talk about the stereotypical boyband roles, like the bad boy, the heartthrob, etc. in his press for Boyband, I've realized that Nick was actually the "bad boy" of BSB, not AJ.  AJ just got labeled that because he has the "look," but other than his addiction issues, he's not a bad boy at all.  Nick has gotten into way more trouble and had way more issues than AJ ever did, at least from what we know.  I do think that's why he's more interesting to write about, all the issues and drama he's had.  You have to manufacture drama for Kevin, Brian, and Howie.

That's a good point - Nick really was the "bad boy." Even with all of AJs issues, he never got arrested. Even Nick now, having turned his life around still managed to find trouble with his arrest last year.

I also like what you said about manufacturing drama for Kevin, Brian and Howie. With Nick (or even AJ) you can have a smaller bit of plot and use his real life drama to build it up.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »

I'm not sure if Nick knows what privacy is. All he's ever really known is life in the public eye. I bet even before he became famous, neighbors were all probably very aware of all the Carter drama. It's in their DNA. I can see them standing out in the backyard just screaming at each other with neighbors watching through half closed blinds saying, "Lord...there they go again!"

OMG this is probably so accurate. That's entirely what House of Carters was too, so cringe-y but you just can't look away.

AJ is just too sweet to torture, like you've all said. I tried writing an AJ fic a long time ago and it just failed. Because he's always got good intentions it seems like, he just wants to please everybody. Nick can more easily be taken down a dark path of "I hate the world and want to burn it to the ground."
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »

LMFAO THIS IS SO ACCURATE!

I've told Julie this but one of the ideas I have on the backburner is basically the BSB spin of This Is The End and what happened to the Boys before they finally got pulled up into heaven. That's probably who I'd have freak out first, is Nick. He's so melodramatic it just fits.

LMAO Rose, that would be amazing.

Here's a question - do any of you guys have "head-canons" or portions of BSB history that are not necessarily real, but that you carry through all of your stories? For example, I always have Nick, to varying levels, have some kind of frustration that JT got with Britney instead of him LOL. I know I have more, I just have to remember them.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »

That's a good question.  Your JT example reminded me that I used to play up the animosity between BSB and NSync in my older stories, but I think that was more because it was played up by the media and fans in real life.  JT and other NSync members have cameos in quite a few of my older stories, never in flattering roles, usually being villainous or causing trouble in some kind of way LOL.

I used to make Nick depressed and suicidal in stories I wrote back in like 2000-2001, way before any of his issues with drugs and alcohol came to light.  I don't remember if he actually seemed unhappy to me in real life or if that qualifies as head-canon.  I was a melodramatic teenager at the time, so I think I channeled a lot of my own issues into my stories, and for whatever reason, Nick was the one who got most of them.

I also tend to make Nick very secretive in stories, which is funny after what Mare said about him not knowing what privacy is LOL.  But he always seems to be hiding things from the other guys in my stories.  I don't write any of the other guys that way.

None of those are great examples, but I can't think of anything else.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »

LMAO Rose, that would be amazing.

Here's a question - do any of you guys have "head-canons" or portions of BSB history that are not necessarily real, but that you carry through all of your stories? For example, I always have Nick, to varying levels, have some kind of frustration that JT got with Britney instead of him LOL. I know I have more, I just have to remember them.

I don't do this much anymore but I used to play up Nick's bitterness about the fact Jive played up the rivalry between him and JT when NON came out, and Nick's frustration about JT's solo career. I also tend to have Nick singing to himself when he's stressed out to try and calm down. I have no reason for it besides being something I sometimes do so I translated it onto him.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38