Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 38

Author Topic: Even newer questions to ponder  (Read 111146 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Even newer questions to ponder
« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »

I doubt I'd read a crossover if I wasn't familiar or not a fan of the other fandom.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

Steph you mentioned a BSB/Firefly one and I completely forgot Rose was writing one called We Burn The Sky that was so good. I love Firefly.

I really am surprised that 1D fanfiction doesn't have a lot of crossovers. I myself write BSB/NSYNC and I have a bit of NKOTB in my romance series. I have also done BSB and the DWTS cast.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »

Steph you mentioned a BSB/Firefly one and I completely forgot Rose was writing one called We Burn The Sky that was so good. I love Firefly.

I really am surprised that 1D fanfiction doesn't have a lot of crossovers. I myself write BSB/NSYNC and I have a bit of NKOTB in my romance series. I have also done BSB and the DWTS cast.

Appreciate the love (been trying to catch up) but it's not a crossover. It's heavily inspired by Firefly but it's not in the same universe LOL. Though you know I've toyed with like a BSB/Inhumans/Agents of Shield crossover at one pont. Revealing Nick as an inhuman.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #183 on: July 28, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »

Sorry Rose. Well Firefly inspired then. But I still love it :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

It's all good! I still love the love. God I need to get on that fic, so many ideas. No time to write them LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2017, 10:23:32 PM »

It's okay. You know me...I don't mind when something is updated lol I want you to finish Miles To Go too....*wink wink*

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #186 on: July 28, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »

I would be less likely to read a crossover with a fandom I knew nothing about, but along the lines of what Steph said, if the storyline seemed like something I'd enjoy, regardless of fandom, I would be willing to give it a try.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2017, 10:23:53 PM »

It's okay. You know me...I don't mind when something is updated lol I want you to finish Miles To Go too....*wink wink*

I second this!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »

Tell us about a time when you went outside your comfort zone by reading a fanfic you normally wouldn't read and ended up enjoying it.  Did that experience open you up to reading more diverse types of stories or change your reading preferences at all?
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »

Tell us about a time when you went outside your comfort zone by reading a fanfic you normally wouldn't read and ended up enjoying it.  Did that experience open you up to reading more diverse types of stories or change your reading preferences at all?

You know, I was just thinking about this because I actually used to really not be into slash. Slash was a genre I would not go near at all until I read some one summer for the summer reading challenge. I ended up really enjoying it and now I even write it myself.

I will now probably be open to reading anything once if the summary interests me. But my favorite kind of stories are suspense.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2017, 10:52:42 PM »

My most recent example is also slash.  I never used to be able to take slash seriously, but then I read one of Cinzia's short stories for the summer reading challenge back in 2013, and I enjoyed it.  It was well-written, and even though it was technically a slash, it wasn't overly sexual.  It was easy to overlook that aspect of it and appreciate a good Frick & Frack story.  That is actually what inspired me to seriously try writing a slash, which led to Unsuspecting Sunday and then Sick as My Secrets.  I read a few slash one-shots here and there while I was writing SAMS, mostly to get some inspiration for the sexy scenes LOL, but I can't say I read anything that stuck with me.  But now I'm reading Steph's new story Ever Since New York, which is the first slash novel I've ever read, and I have to say that I'm actually genuinely enjoying it.  In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have clicked on it if it wasn't written by a friend/favorite author, but I also wouldn't have stuck with it if I wasn't enjoying it.  The fact that it's an old-school Brian story helps!  Between reading these stories and writing my own, I've become a lot more open to slash and would read more in the future if the writing was good and the storyline appealed to me, just as with any story.

~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2017, 11:35:52 PM »

It was because of Cinzia for me too funny enough. And I remember you reading my one shot Secrets Of The Heart and I was surprised cause I know you don't like to read slash. I am the same way. If it's well written I enjoy reading it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »

Wish Cinzia would come back here and see what a trendsetter she is! LOL

Yes, there's another example of my newfound openness to slash LOL.  I don't think I'll ever turn into one of those people who only want to read and write slash, but I also won't pass over a story just because it has that label anymore.

One thing that I've found I really enjoy about slash is that it's a way to include romance without taking attention away from BSB by focusing too much on a female character.  I really enjoyed writing a novel that was just about the relationship between two Backstreet Boys, and I think that's why I'm in such a bromance phase, where most of my ideas focus on two of the Boys (just not in a romantic way).
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »

I think that's why I enjoy slash too. Although I do write regular romance as well, I feel like I enjoy slash a little more because I can focus on the boys and not the random female characters.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »

Yep.  Nothing against regular romance or random female characters; I enjoy those too, but it's kind of a relief to not have to worry about creating a believable, likable, well-rounded original character.  You still have to make the Boys well-rounded characters, but that's easier cause there's so much already fleshed out for you.  Then the challenge becomes making them sexually attracted to each other in a way that's believable LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 38