Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 38

Author Topic: Even newer questions to ponder  (Read 111159 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Even newer questions to ponder
« Reply #285 on: January 05, 2018, 10:41:59 PM »

I really enjoyed it too. I'm going to read it through a second time so I can make notes on things I wanted to the first time, as well as refamiliarize myself with it for the book review. (I first read it mid-December. Took me three days, which is short for me when reading nonfiction books.)

Yeah, it was a quick read.  I did the same thing last summer, re-read a lot of it and flagged it with sticky notes for a story I'm writing that takes place in early 2008.  It is very interesting to write about Nick in that time period now, knowing what we know, compared to how I naively wrote Nick back then.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #286 on: January 05, 2018, 10:43:31 PM »

I don't really believe in resolutions per se but I guess write more for me. Maybe finally finish the two stories I'm working on, and get around to posting the two other projects I'm playing with. One is a group fic the other is a slash novel.

Yay group fic!

Is it bad that I didn't even bother saying I hope I finish one of my long-unfinished stories?  I already know that's an unrealistic resolution LOL.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »

Now if I could find my motivation to write on the group fic that would be nice. I'm having writing ADD. LOL. this is why I'm usually working on more than one thing at once.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2018, 11:34:02 PM »

Writing ADD is almost as annoying as writer's block.
~Julie

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »

Ugh, what a morning wakeup I, and the rest of the people of Hawaii had.

Truly felt like a fucking story/movie come to life...  :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:21:32 AM by rebellious_one »
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2018, 07:21:18 PM »

I heard! That was insane! *hugs*
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2018, 11:19:02 PM »

I cannot imagine how scary that must have been!!  I'm so glad it was just a false alarm, and let's pray it never amounts to anything more than that.
~Julie

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2018, 03:38:50 AM »

I heard! That was insane! *hugs*

I cannot imagine how scary that must have been!!  I'm so glad it was just a false alarm, and let's pray it never amounts to anything more than that.

Waahhh thanks!  :'(

Completely insane and just too fucking real. I don’t know how, but I had my composure together... no tears, no screaming, just... kinda blank while tryna chase facts yanno? It’s weird, it’s  like I’ve been mentally preparing for this, because of everything going on and we’ve been talking about it at work and what to do with our students if we were to get that alert. But I found myself reacting the way I thought I would... scared out of my mind, but accepting the innevability of it because no matter what we did or where we tried to run or hide, we wouldn’t make it anyway. I had those thoughts for a few minutes, then shook myself out of the fear and panic state to get whatever info I could. And like the shit you see in the movies or read in stories, trying to call out and the lines were down; couldn’t call, couldn’t reach anyone, and that helped it to make it feel infinitely more eerily real. Then I turned on my TV to search for stations with any warnings, then I had gone in my car to listen to the radio.

As I sat in my car, I just remember staring out at the sky... it was a fucking beautiful morning in Hawaii; sky was blue and just wide open, sun still rising while birds continued to sing... and in that moment, I was like well this is it, this is the last morning I’ll ever see. I felt this weird sense of calmness like take it in and let it be. I think what killed me the most was holding my 7-year-old nephew as we tuned into the news and with the coverage he asked me “is this a joke on all the kids?”... thinking as a kid, he did something bad which led to this moment.

Ugh, I just can’t say enough about this experience. And apparently it was a lot crazier around the island... sheer pandemonium with people running, crying, screaming, speeding, accidents all over, and apparently there was a death at the airport because in the 38 minutes of panic, someone tried to jump on a plane thru the wheel well and fell out. It... was just fucking crazy.

I mean, there’s a whole bunch of jokes and laughter about it now, and that’s all cool, but it was real life for us for 38 minutes, and the world and its leaders definitely need to continue to talk about this and change.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:06:47 AM by rebellious_one »
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »

I can't believe that even happened. Unbelievable!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »

Wow... just wow.  Like I said, I cannot even imagine.  I guess something like this makes you appreciate what you have and not sweat the small stuff, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place, let alone gone on for so long before it was corrected.  Thanks for your account of things, Reb.  I'm so, so glad you and your loved ones are okay!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #295 on: January 15, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »

Generally, I'm not one of those people who think someone should be fired for making a mistake, but how on earth has this guy who hit the wrong button not been fired? That's not a tiny little mistake he made there. That was a pretty huge, apocalyptic sized mistake. That's just how things are here in the US these days. I mean, yikes!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #296 on: January 15, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »

Yes, and the fact that it took over 40 minutes to be corrected is ridiculous!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2018, 10:34:20 AM »

That must've been terrifying! What an awful mistake to make :(

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2018, 04:25:35 PM »

Generally, I'm not one of those people who think someone should be fired for making a mistake, but how on earth has this guy who hit the wrong button not been fired? That's not a tiny little mistake he made there. That was a pretty huge, apocalyptic sized mistake. That's just how things are here in the US these days. I mean, yikes!

And I don't want to go all tin hat but I thought there were fail safes to keep that from happening by accident?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »

And I don't want to go all tin hat but I thought there were fail safes to keep that from happening by accident?

You would think.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 38