Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38

Author Topic: Even newer questions to ponder  (Read 111180 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Even newer questions to ponder
« Reply #480 on: January 12, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »

I miss your writing!  But that does make sense.  I'm still writing but not posting right now, and I think the feedback is what I miss most too.  But the whole not posting part has alleviated the pressure to update and the guilt I feel when I leave people hanging too long, which has been nice.  I still enjoy writing for myself, with the knowledge that I'll eventually post it for other people to read and hopefully get some reviews then.  I will admit, though, it's harder to stay motivated without that feedback!

Aww thanks! I remember back in the day when we'd only get feedback via email. Maybe you guys should start putting your email address at the bottom of each new chapter you post. One thing about the email feedback was it was real feedback. I know if I took the time to actually email an author about their story, I wouldn't just say "That was good!" Whenever I'd receive it, it was a nice long account of what they liked or didn't like followed by questions which turned into discussions, which turned into friendships that have far exceeded the fanfic itself.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #481 on: January 12, 2019, 06:41:42 AM »

I'll have to check that one out; I haven't even heard of it!  I LOVED The Fault in Our Stars, but then I read Paper Towns and didn't enjoy that one nearly as much.

Do you see yourself writing more original fiction in the future?

You should check it out. It's not a medical drama but the lead character is a hypochondriac amongst many other issues.

I want to write. I've had an idea in my head for about two years now but unlike fanfic where I already had the boys as my characters and only had to develop the storyline, I'm finding it difficult to figure out who I want as a lead telling the story. Whether it should be a female or a male. I tend to feel more comfortable writing as a male, but I also picture the lead as a female. I'm definitely a transgender writer. I completely identify as a male character more than a female one. Is that a thing? Can we make that a thing? lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #482 on: January 12, 2019, 06:43:24 AM »

Slightly off topic and should probably go into the tv thread, but speaking of medical dramas, have you watched New Amsterdam? I am really enjoying that one.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #483 on: January 12, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »

See I've been reading a lot, and I'm thinking that's why I've gotten so many ideas. But then I end up picking up a new book instead of writing LOL. Have any of you read The Girl With All The Gifts? It's a really interesting book and unsurprisingly has some zombie esque themes but not actual zombies.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #484 on: January 12, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »

Aww thanks! I remember back in the day when we'd only get feedback via email. Maybe you guys should start putting your email address at the bottom of each new chapter you post. One thing about the email feedback was it was real feedback. I know if I took the time to actually email an author about their story, I wouldn't just say "That was good!" Whenever I'd receive it, it was a nice long account of what they liked or didn't like followed by questions which turned into discussions, which turned into friendships that have far exceeded the fanfic itself.

Very true!  The email feedback did tend to be more detailed and lead to full conversations instead of just a reply to a review.  That and this forum are how I've made most, if not all of my friends in the fandom.  I do miss that about the email feedback, although the reviews made it much easier to keep feedback organized.  I am not above going back to read old reviews when I need some motivation.  I'm glad we can still access them on AC.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #485 on: January 12, 2019, 05:12:04 PM »

You should check it out. It's not a medical drama but the lead character is a hypochondriac amongst many other issues.

I want to write. I've had an idea in my head for about two years now but unlike fanfic where I already had the boys as my characters and only had to develop the storyline, I'm finding it difficult to figure out who I want as a lead telling the story. Whether it should be a female or a male. I tend to feel more comfortable writing as a male, but I also picture the lead as a female. I'm definitely a transgender writer. I completely identify as a male character more than a female one. Is that a thing? Can we make that a thing? lol

That sounds like something I could relate to! LOL

I'm glad you still want to write!  I can see how that would be hard to have to start completely from scratch with developing characters, when we're so used to already having most of them.  LOL at transgender writer!  If you're imagining your main character as female, why not just make her a woman who isn't very feminine, in the traditional sense?   That would probably make her more unique anyway.

Does anyone else feel more comfortable writing male characters than female?  It makes sense, given that we've all spent so many years writing about guys.  I still find a female perspective more natural for me to write, though.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2019, 05:16:18 PM »

Slightly off topic and should probably go into the tv thread, but speaking of medical dramas, have you watched New Amsterdam? I am really enjoying that one.

I need to give New Amsterdam another try.  I watched the pilot and was "meh" about it, but I've heard from other people that it's gotten better.  I've found that I'm very picky about medical dramas because I compare everything to ER, and no show since has held up to the high standard that one set.  I gave Grey's Anatomy another try this summer and actually made it through the first two seasons, but that was all I could stomach of that one.  I watched Chicago Med for a full season, but quit at the beginning of the second season.  Same with The Good Doctor.  I tried Code Black and The Night Watch, and neither of those hooked me.  The only one I've stuck with recently is The Resident, which I do really like.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »

See I've been reading a lot, and I'm thinking that's why I've gotten so many ideas. But then I end up picking up a new book instead of writing LOL. Have any of you read The Girl With All The Gifts? It's a really interesting book and unsurprisingly has some zombie esque themes but not actual zombies.

I haven't read that one, but thanks for the recommendation!  I need some new fiction to read; I've been reading nonfiction, but it's just not the same.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #488 on: January 13, 2019, 03:44:08 AM »

Pentatonix? That’s exciting. I wonder if one of them is going to attempt beat boxing. I’m really looking forward to this album as well. I’m psyched it’s coming out before my weekend birthday trip up to Seneca Falls so I have something to listen to other than the Hamilton soundtrack.

As far as writing a non feminine female lead, that’s probably the only way I’d do it. We’ll see. It’s not like I’ve even remotely tried to write anything down to begin with. I do feel much more comfortable writing males. When it comes to reading though, as long as the female is strong I enjoy those stories, but I will always prefer stories about brothers. Bridge of Clay was about 5 brothers.

I loved the first two seasons of Code Black but as much as I love Rob Lowe, when he came on, the show just got too jump the shark-ish. You could tell they were experimenting and trying to turn it into Greys Anatomy.

I am really enjoying New Amsterdam. I love the guy who plays the lead. I was so sad when they killed him off of The Blacklist, but this part seems so natural for him. I do really enjoy the resident as well, but honestly, I don’t look at that one as a medical drama. I find that one more suspense and character based.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:50:27 AM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #489 on: January 16, 2019, 07:46:03 PM »

That's what I like about The Resident; it's got the right balance of medical drama and character development.  So many medical dramas either focus too much on the relationships and sex or have boring, cliched characters that you don't care about or are too formulaic with the "case of the week" formula.  I don't stick with shows where I don't like or care about the characters, but I want to see the medical stuff too.  I also like how The Resident shows you the shady side of the medical industry; that's a new twist I haven't seen as much.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #490 on: January 16, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »

We've probably discussed this at some point before, but how have your opinions of each of the Boys changed from when you first became a fan to now?

I was listening to my BSB playlist in my car on the way home, and the All I Have to Give Conversation Mix (LOL) came on.  I was listening to it, and it made me think about how differently I view the guys now compared to the impression I got of them the first time I heard that song.  Like, I always loved how Brian talked about wanting to be with a smart girl who likes to go to school; I ate that up as a teenybopper because that was me!  But now I think about how Brian didn't even send his own kid to real school and how he's a Trump supporter, and I realize he and I are not really compatible at all, LOL.  I will always identify as a Brian girl, but my favorite Backstreet Boy is '90s Brian... whereas if I was new to the fandom and was just picking my favorite Backstreet Boy now, it would probably be Nick.  I adore mature Nick from the last decade, and I even loved him through his hot mess phase in the 2000s, but '90s Nick still does nothing for me.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #491 on: January 17, 2019, 01:03:50 AM »

first of all....super trippy being on here on my laptop for the first time.

anyways....to answer Julie's question...In the beginning, I didn't even have a favorite Backstreet Boy at first back in the day. Between 1996 to 1998 there was no particular Boy that I liked over the others...until about 1999 when Nick somehow became my favorite. Not even sure how that happened but one day I wrote in my journal that he was my favorite. He was my favorite I think because of a really dumb thing. I think I read in like one of those teenybopper magazines that his favorite food was pizza (which everyone knows its my favorite) and that he loved Nintendo.

Of course 13/14 year old me who had no idea about boys or what she wanted out of life assumed that of course if a guy has two things in common with you, it's totally meant to be  :D :D :D

As I got older, I learned more about Nick...oldest sibling in the family, just like me. He loved the ocean, just like me and had a love for comic books and writing. Just like me.

I kind of glommed onto him. So if you ask me who my favorite is...depending on my mood it's definitely Nick. He's inspired me to keep going in so many was. To be who I want to be and not care what anyone thinks, to finally love myself and that positivity is key.

Brian is also my favorite, however...beca me my favorite in 2011 when I met the boys for the first time. Brian played the role of the "greeter" and welcomed me with literal open arms for a hug. He gives great hugs. He's always upbeat no matter what is going on. Doesn't care what people think of him or his opinion and is always smiling. So between the two of them, they both inspire me a lot. I have a soft spot for Nick becasue his music and his inspiration kept me from committing suicide ten years ago. sorry for rambling LOL but thats how i feel about Nick and Brian.

In the beginning, I always thought Kevin was mean, kind of bossy and stuck up. However since I've seen him in person, witnessed how funny and sarcastic he is...how he's the life of the party...I completely take all of that back. Kevin's hotter to me now in a weird way. I just love how blunt he is and his sense of humor. He's defnintely grown on me.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #492 on: January 18, 2019, 02:59:22 AM »

I wrote Kevin off as the big brother but young me only saw him in that role. Which I still love, but that's not all there is to Kevin. He's probably the biggest change in terms of perspective. Kevin is always so great with fans, he really does everything he can to make you feel heard online and in person. Not to mention he can party with the best of them LOL. His return made me appreciate him so much. If I had to rank, he'd be practically tied with Nick.

As a teenager I used to say I was a "Brian and Nick" girl. I would lean more towards one or the other depending on what was happening. During Nick's hot mess years of 2003-2006 I leaned more Brian, for example. But like Julie, that's because I thought Brian was 90s Brian. While social media really helped me appreciate everyone in the group more, it made me step back from Brian. He's not the person I thought he was, and that's okay. I always respected that he's someone who stands by his beliefs. I just don't agree with him on a lot of things. Backstreet Boy Brian I still love, but Brian the person, not so much. I can look past it mainly cause I have a brother who thinks like he does, so I've got practice in it. I'll forever have a soft spot for one of my original faves, if that makes sense.

Nick, I loved 90s Nick. I've always been a dork, hyperactive, loving random things. I've joked with Julie that if he was a normal person that we met we'd probably all be good friends since he's pretty quirky himself. I think had I not been a teenager during his hot mess years I might've moved on to a different "fave" Boy. I mean by the time he dropped the weight and started working on himself in like 2007, I was barely 21 LOL. Mature Nick  is definitely my favorite Nick and his voice sounds even better today. I'll always identify as a "Nick Girl".

Howie - man, I wish I'd known he had the sense of humor he had back when I was younger. I never appreciated it till Unbreakable after Kevin left and he got more time. I ignored Howie, like I liked him in the 90s but I never paid attention to him LOL.

AJ - Funnily enough I've always had the same level of appreciation for AJ. Mainly cause his voice is always able to give me chills when he really lets go. AJ is AJ, no matter what decade when it comes to his choices about style or whatever LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #493 on: January 18, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »

I know many people not gonna like me right now, but Brian has always been my favorite since the very beginning. Yes for his voice at first, but later for his courage in dealing with his various medical problems. It has help me to keep fighting against my own illness and I hope one day to have the chance to meet him in person.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #494 on: January 18, 2019, 04:07:37 PM »

Why? Everyone likes a BSB for different reasons. No one here will hold it against you. :)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38