Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Idea: AC meets MySpace  (Read 3328 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Idea: AC meets MySpace
« on: May 15, 2007, 02:51:48 PM »

No, I'm not suggesting that AC have its own MySpace.

But I do have an idea for a new site... something like a social networking site (like MySpace, Facebook, etc.) solely for fanfic writers and readers, where they could connect with each other, blog, chat on a forum, and also post their fanfics, like on AC (and link to favorite fanfics, favorite authors, etc.).  Sort of a combination of AC, MySpace, and a forum like this one, just for people like us!

Does anyone else think this would be cool?

I've done some searching to see if there's anything out there that would allow me to develop something like this easily and for free.  There's eFiction, which is what AC runs off of, but that doesn't really have the MySpace/social network aspect to it.  Then there's this site called ning.com where you can create your own social network... but that doesn't have the story archive part to it, and even though it can be customized, it's not entirely what I had in mind.

I know enough HTML to make a website, but I don't know anything about programming or writing scripts or PHP or SQL or any of the things that it seems like you need to make something like that.  So the idea is way beyond me at this point.  But I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone thought it was a good idea.  And if so, maybe there's someone out there who would know how to make it a reality.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Idea: AC meets MySpace
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:31:04 PM »

Hey Julie! I think it's a great idea, but sorry, I have no idea how to even start a basic geocity site so yeah, wrong person to ask here. -lol I could ask Josh but I doubt he'll know much. Genius that he is, he's fairly knew to the web construction world. If he has any ideas though, I'll get back to you.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

bananaaddict

• Captain of Commotion
    • The Original Nick Chicks
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »

It sounds interesting.  I know some HTML, but I don't think I could do all that plus I work two jobs so time would be a problem too.  I would definitely be interested in joining a site like that though.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »

That sounds like a great idea but also a huge undertaking. I belong to a site very similar to that called EditRed. It's like a myspace meets this kind of site for fiction writers but not fanfiction. It's a heavy duty very serious place where there are a ton of published authors who will tell you what they really think of your work lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »

^ Interesting... yeah, I guess that's kinda what I had in mind, only not that hardcore serious LOL.

I would definitely be willing to help out with a site like this once it's up; I just don't know enough to get it up myself.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 04:01:41 PM »

I think somewhere on Facebook it has something about the code program it uses... I'm not really sure...

I'm trying to avoid it right now, really, because every time I log in, I get depressed.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:07:44 PM »

I looked at Facebook, but it's all still way over my head.  I don't know anything about php
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 05:12:58 PM »

^ lol well I guess that leaves me out because I thought php was the stuff you put in your pool after the chlorine!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 05:37:57 PM »

:D Oh Mare.... That's almost up there with the cows....

Well, yeah, it all seems pretty complicated to me. *sigh* But I'm an idiot I suppose... And crying over my stupid art teacher right about now...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 06:27:18 PM »

Aw, what happened with your stupid art teacher?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 06:44:20 PM »

Well, I decided I wanted to take the class over and she was trying to help me by making me eligible for Course Forgiveness, which I would have been anyway. But she's like, "Great, I'll give you an F!" and now my GPA is really, really low and I'm kinda heartbroken over it. :( *sniff*

But I got some grants for next year, so...
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »

^ My sister flunked every class her first semester, if that makes you feel any better.  Her GPA was 0.0 LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »

I have a loke 1.9 right now, so hopefully it will o back up so i can still retake the courses over the summer...
~*Dee*~

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »

^ lol well I guess that leaves me out because I thought php was the stuff you put in your pool after the chlorine!

I actually thought the same thing! Lol. It makes the most sense, if you ask me - haha.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!