Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21
Author Topic: Conversations about all things BSB related...  (Read 3946 times)
RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2019, 06:40:20 PM »

What's up, everybody?  I hate when we go more than a week without any conversation on here!

Here's some writing questions related to the setting of your stories:

Do you tend to use real settings (real towns, restaurants, etc.) or make them up?  If you use real, are they places you've actually been, or do you have to research?  If you make them up, describe what that process is like.  Do you draw on any real life inspiration?

What have been some of your favorite and least favorite settings to write in your stories?

Do you prefer writing stories that are mostly set in one place or stories with lots of different settings?

Do you have any favorite settings of stories you've read?

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Mistral
Captain of Commotion

« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2019, 07:20:39 PM »

Hi!

Yes I prefer place that I know when I write a story and yes I do a lot of research. I like a lot the hospital place in a story!

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2019, 04:54:04 AM »

I donít know why this thread was locked so I reopened it. Commence discussions!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2019, 11:34:34 AM »

Thanks!

As far as setting go, I usually use real settings.  Sometimes I will make up restaurants, bars, etc., but I almost always use real cities/towns and try to write them realistically.  I haven't been to a lot of the cities I end up writing about because of where the Boys live and tour, but that's what the internet is for.  Google Maps is a lifesaver when it comes to researching the look and layout of places.  I'm like Mistral in loving hospital settings too.  Almost all of my novels have at least one hospital scene in them somewhere.

Some of my favorite settings to write were in Song for the Undead.  Most of the story took place at the MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, and Rose and I did a ton of research to write that as accurately as we could.  I had a printed map of the base sitting by my computer for years that I would reference as I wrote scenes for that story.  We also worked in other settings as our characters traveled, including a castle in England.  It was fun to think about different kinds of places our characters could shelter in in the midst of the zombie apocalypse, and the variety made it fun and kept things interesting.

I can't think of a least favorite setting offhand, but I am finding that I prefer stories with multiple settings to stories set in one place.  The one I'm working on now mostly takes place in one room, and that has gotten pretty boring.  I've always had a lot of respect for writers that can write a whole novel or screenplay set in one small place and make it interesting, and this has only reaffirmed that respect.

Along those lines, I loved Mare's use of setting in Hope is the Last Thing Ever Lost.  That whole novel mostly just took place in the Boys' van, Tim's cabin, and the woods between the two, and yet, it was such a gripping page-turner and never got boring.  Save a Prayer by Steph also has a great setting, with the guys trying to survive in the jungle after their plane crashes.  I love settings that are different, not just the usual tour bus or big cities.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:36:11 AM by RokofAges75 » Logged

~Julie

Mistral
Captain of Commotion

« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »

I love youíre fanfic too! You have a real talent to write and your stories are always so good to read!!

Read fanfic always help me to focus on something else when I receive my medical treatment and I have blank page syndrom on my own fanfic right now.

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »

Thanks!  Fanfic can be a great distraction.  I hate blank page syndrome! 

~Julie

Mistral
Captain of Commotion

« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2019, 02:47:48 PM »

Yes blank page syndrom suck! I cannot wait it stop so I can continue to write!

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2019, 07:29:02 PM »

Did everyone hear the Boys are supposedly working on a Christmas album?  I wonder if it will actually be released in time for Christmas this year, or we should assume Backstreet Time will bump it back to Christmas 2020.

Do you prefer covers of classic Christmas songs or original songs on pop Christmas albums?  What classics do you hope they'll record?

~Julie

Mistral
Captain of Commotion

« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »

Iím gonna be so happy if they record a christmas album! Classic Christmas songs for me! Feliz navidad is my favorite christmas song.

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »

I'm excited it's finally happening!  They've talked about doing a Christmas album so many times, but they sounded serious this time, like it's already in the works.  It's Christmas Time Again is seriously one of my favorite BSB songs (I listen to it all year round), so I hope there are more original songs like that!  As far as classics go, one of my favorites is Do You Hear What I Hear - great song for a group!  I love O Holy Night, Carol of the Bells, and The Little Drummer Boy too.

~Julie

Mistral
Captain of Commotion

« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »

Yes carol of the bells!!

I find on amazon the CD for the fans the guys do with burger king and I buy it last weekend!

Sakabelle
General Pandemonium

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2019, 08:12:54 AM »

I would DIE for them to do a Christmas album with more classic songs. I hadn't heard that they were working on that so thank you for sharing!! If they did classic songs I would just... I would die. LOL. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen and O Holy Night in particular. Just putting that into the universe.

As for setting,

Do you tend to use real settings (real towns, restaurants, etc.) or make them up?  If you use real, are they places you've actually been, or do you have to research?  If you make them up, describe what that process is like.  Do you draw on any real life inspiration?
I try to use real places whenever possible and spend an unreasonable amount of time doing research. If I can't use a real place (like, someone's house or whatever) I'll imagine a place that I've been that has a similar vibe I'm going for an build off that. But, Google really helps and it's easily to get a feel for places I've never been to through photos and videos.

What have been some of your favorite and least favorite settings to write in your stories?

Least favourite setting is writing about Florida. I don't know why, maybe I'm just burnt out from so many BSB fics set there. But I don't find it to be that overly interesting of a place to write about.

I also don't particularly enjoy writing about LA, so I keep my fics away from there as much as I can. If I need to use a big city I'll use London now since in real life most of my 1D characters tend to bounce back and forth between London and LA anyway. I do like writing about London, I have been there a few times now and can picture central London and south London quite well and I get the vibe of it. Niall actually lives quite close to where my husband's uncle lives in London, which is where we always stay. So I always just give Niall that house LOL.

Do you prefer writing stories that are mostly set in one place or stories with lots of different settings?

Different settings for sure. It helps me keep the story moving along as the characters move along. Even in AU I've had them in hotels or travelling. I did a backpacker AU and a World Cup AU so that says something about the type of settings I enjoy. I find it hard to naturally find ways to do different types of scenes if the characters are all in one place all the time. Even in Running Up That Hill, the boys didn't move around _that_ much, but they were at least each in a different city for the most part.

Do you have any favorite settings of stories you've read?
I loved the camp setting of Mare's Million Little Things. Just in awe of how easy she made it look to write an interesting story set in one place with minimal... interference? If that makes sense. The setting was just there and sat around the plot nicely without being invasive.

I'm also reading a fic right now that's set in NYC. Again, it's all in one place and it's a place I've never actually been to, so it's been interesting to read about it and learn about the city along the way. For the same reason I loved Mare's story, the setting is so effortlessly executed but being in NYC is important to the plot.

Suppose I should ask a question to keep this going! Now that we've had DNA for roughly 4 months, how have your favourites changed from the initial listen? Are they the same, different?

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something youíre scared to write. Thatís the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you canít stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to deathóWRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »

God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman is another good one!

I agree about Florida and LA getting boring to write as settings.  I don't particularly enjoy writing tours, but I at least appreciate being able to change up the setting that way.

As to your question about DNA, my favorites are pretty much the same.  Passionate is my favorite track on the album, but Don't Go Breaking My Heart has hung in there as one of the best uptempos as well.  I still love New Love, Chances, No Place, and The Way It Was too, and I still don't have any skip songs.

~Julie

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »

Thanks for the mentions ladies! I guess I do tend to set many of my stories in one main location. I never really thought about it until you guys mentioned those two stories. It Stays With You mainly took place in a hotel room. the Apartment only took place in an apartment. Fly Fishing was at a lake and a car, Long Road Home was a car ride. Iím sure there are more.

When I wrote, I never really thought about locations that much. When I did pick a specific location, it always was a real place that I was semi familiar with, although with all the stories I focused on the out doors and camping, I can honestly say Iíve never Been camping in my life lol

One story that comes to my mind having to do with location and how well it fit into the story was Seven Days. It all took place in the woods and it was riveting.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »

As far as a Christmas album goes...

Not be all stereotypical music teacher, but Iím not a huge fan of Christmas music. I donít listen to it because itís literally my life from October until Christmas. When Iím not singing these songs all day long or listening to them being played and sung ad naseum, The last thing I want to do is listen to it when I donít have to. Itíll be nice  having them make a Christmas album, but I prefer an all a capella album instead.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21
Print
Jump to: