Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27
Author Topic: Conversations about all things BSB related...  (Read 6763 times)
RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »

I LOVE Dirty Dancing!  I prefer romantic dramas to romantic comedies (shocker).  I generally hate romcoms, with the exception of a few (My Best Friend's Wedding, The Wedding Singer, The Princess Bride).  I want to see that new Rebel Wilson movie that makes fun of them.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos
General Pandemonium

writing fanfic by moonlight....

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »

Romantic comedy is the only way I can handle romance lol

Romance never was my favorite genre of anything depending on the movie...but if I had to pick a favorite romantic comedy it would be 50 First Dates... I also love Blast From The Past, and there's a couple others I can't think of. I love comedy films.

Rose
Supreme Time Waster

Uh oh! We lost Nick again...

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 02:41:19 AM »

I'm so picky with romances. I can't believe some of you guys had never seen Dirty Dancing though! My mom loved Patrick Swayze. We had every movie he'd ever done in my house lol. In fact she used to say she got why I got so excited about BSB/Nick cause she was a big fan of Swayze. Now Dirty Dancing gives me fond memories of my mom and I watching it randomly together.

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." óAnonymous

ďI donít believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.Ē óRay Bradbury

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 03:42:57 AM »

Iím super picky about movies in general. Iím not really a super huge movie fan. Iíve managed to avoid many movies that everyone has seen. Iíve never seen Footloose, Raiders of the Lost Ark, or any James Bond or those stupid Fast and Furious movies either. Iím sure thereís more that everyoneís seen that I have not lol

I was just talking about this topic to my band kids on Thursday. We are playing Do Re Ni from the Sound of Music and a few of them have never seen it! I feel like thatís a parenting flaw of some kind. Itís impossible to miss it. Itís on all the time lol Iíve made it required watching.

Itís nice Dirty Dancing makes you think of your mom.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:47:14 AM by mare » Logged

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »

My sister adores the Fast and Furious movies and thinks is a tragedy I only saw the first one. I think I watched part of the second and gave up cause I thought it was dumb LOL. Her and I basically have an agreement that I won't make fun of her movies if she doesn't make fun of BSB. Since several of my siblings grew up in the 80s, I ended up well versed on those like Goonies, Footloose, Revenge of the Nerds, etc. It's kind of funny cause I think I've seen more 80s movies than 90s movies because of it.

ďI donít believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.Ē óRay Bradbury

smh1105
Innocent Bystander

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »

Omg I LOVE Dirty Dancing too!! (like its probably in my top 5 movies) They did do an "updated" musical version of it that starred Abigail Breslin, I thought it was pretty good (not as good as the original lol but good for a musical version)

Rom-coms these days aren't as good as they used to be (late 90s/early 2000s have a few of good ones). That one with Rebel Wilson making fun of them looks pretty funny.  I don't watch them all the times, but they can be a guilty pleasure once in a while.

I think I like a lot of 80s/90s movies more then a lot of what's coming out these days. Which is probably why there are so many remakes of movies these days. Everyone loves the classics so lets try to remake every single one of them. Its getting a little ridiculous with remakes and making so many sequels/prequals to stuff (fyi-they are making ANOTHER one of those fast and furious movie LOL)

~Shaina~
"A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity" Franz Kafka
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity" Edgar Allen Poe

Rose
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 05:10:20 PM »

Agreed on all the remakes. Like stop! Come up with new ideas! I do enjoy the Marvel movies, my dad is a huge comic book fan so it's been our thing since the first Iron Man movie came out.

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »

Omg I LOVE Dirty Dancing too!! (like its probably in my top 5 movies) They did do an "updated" musical version of it that starred Abigail Breslin, I thought it was pretty good (not as good as the original lol but good for a musical version)

Rom-coms these days aren't as good as they used to be (late 90s/early 2000s have a few of good ones). That one with Rebel Wilson making fun of them looks pretty funny.  I don't watch them all the times, but they can be a guilty pleasure once in a while.

I think I like a lot of 80s/90s movies more then a lot of what's coming out these days. Which is probably why there are so many remakes of movies these days. Everyone loves the classics so lets try to remake every single one of them. Its getting a little ridiculous with remakes and making so many sequels/prequals to stuff (fyi-they are making ANOTHER one of those fast and furious movie LOL)

I love Abigail Breslin, but I did not like that Dirty Dancing remake at all.  But let's be honest - it's really all about Patrick Swayze, and he is irreplaceable.  My mom always loved him too and introduced me to Dirty Dancing as a little girl, when all the inappropriate stuff went right over my head.  I just loved it for the dancing and music.

80s movies are the best!  I hate most of the remakes, but I am excited that they're making a new TV series of Stephen King's The Stand.  The old miniseries from the 90s has a great cast, but it's so cheesy... I've always wanted to see that updated!  The remake of It was fantastic, too.  But there are a lot more bad remakes than good ones.

~Julie

Mistral
Captain of Commotion

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 08:00:51 PM »

I love war movies and natural disaster movies like: saving private Ryan, windtalkers, volcano, danteís peak, 2012

julilly
Master of Havoc
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »

I was underwhelmed by A Star is Born.  It wasn't a bad movie; the acting was good, and the music was great.  The storyline just reminded me of every Mary Sue "Backstreet Boy randomly discovers aspiring singer and makes her a star" fanfic I've ever read.  But the music really is good, so you might like it for that.

Spoiler alert: As for who dies at the end...
Bradley Cooper hangs himself.

Having seen the previous versions of the movie, I went into it fully prepared for the plot, which may have made a difference. Itís just the cause of death that changes between the versions lol

~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 10:16:37 PM »

Having seen the previous versions of the movie, I went into it fully prepared for the plot, which may have made a difference. Itís just the cause of death that changes between the versions lol

Yeah, that's true.  I had never seen any of the previous versions.  I knew the gist of what it was going to be about, and it is what it is.  I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been jaded by BSB fanfic LOL.

~Julie

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »

We were on a roll with the conversation for awhile!  I hate to see it die down again now that DNA's been out a few weeks.

Here's a couple fanfic questions for discussion.

Writers: Which is worse, negative feedback or no feedback?

Readers: If you read something you don't like, do you let the author know or say nothing?

~Julie

Mistral
Captain of Commotion

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 06:08:44 PM »

I write reply on this topic, but no one see it.

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »

I saw your post about the movies you like.  Is that what you mean, or is there something else we missed?

~Julie

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 03:13:07 AM »

We were on a roll with the conversation for awhile!  I hate to see it die down again now that DNA's been out a few weeks.

Here's a couple fanfic questions for discussion.

Writers: Which is worse, negative feedback or no feedback?

Readers: If you read something you don't like, do you let the author know or say nothing?

I would take negative feedback over no feedback but only if it came in the form of constructive criticism. Iím not a fan of ďThat sucked!Ē Unless you tell me why. I was pretty lucky in my fanfic writing career to only receive a few negative comments. I always took them with a grain of salt. I admit, the first thing I would do is try to find something they have written and then use that as a gauge to either take their advice or just move on. If they werenít authors themselves I didnít let it bother me at all. But the negative comments came later on. If it was at the start of my writing fanfic, it would have been more damaging to me I think.

I have always been a fan of giving reviews. Initially thatís how I became friends with most of the fanfic authors I know. Any feedback I gave was positive. I could usually find something good to say even if I wasnít really a fan of something happening. If I didnít like something, I was always quick to point out it had more to do with how invested I was in the plot and story and didnít enjoy the direction because of Ďmeí than the actual writing. I hope the authors appreciated that. I know I used to.

One of my biggest pet peeves (besides banners) used to be people who never left feedback.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:15:43 AM by mare » Logged

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27
Print
Jump to: