Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Author Topic: Conversations about all things BSB related...  (Read 1624 times)
smh1105
Innocent Bystander

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2019, 10:03:28 PM »

We were on a roll with the conversation for awhile!  I hate to see it die down again now that DNA's been out a few weeks.

Here's a couple fanfic questions for discussion.

Writers: Which is worse, negative feedback or no feedback?

Readers: If you read something you don't like, do you let the author know or say nothing?

I would have to say no feedback. Its nice to know what people think of the story, even if it may not be good. I'll take what they say into consideration if its constructive. It doesn't mean I'm going to change what or how I'm writing just for that person though.

If I'm reading something I don't like I'm not going to say anything negative. I know they probably worked hard on it. Like Mare said I might try to find something positive to say. And if the story just really doesn't interest me I wont continue to read it.

Do you think the feedback will be turned back on anytime soon?

~Shaina~
"A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity" Franz Kafka
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity" Edgar Allen Poe

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2019, 11:56:40 PM »

I agree with you both. I think I'd rather know what people think, even if it's negative, than hear nothing at all.  At least you can learn and grow from constructive criticism.  It's frustrating when you post something you've poured your heart and soul into and get no feedback at all, especially when you know people have read it.

The only time I don't leave feedback is if I try reading a story and don't like it.  If I know I'm not going to stick with it, I don't see the point in telling the author that, unless I'm asked to give an honest opinion.  I follow the Thumper rule of "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all."  When I do give constructive criticism, it is sandwiched between compliments.

I would also love to see reviews turned back on at some point.  There are plenty of other ways of giving feedback, but the review feature made it so convenient!  I know the spam reviews were getting to be a huge problem... I did a search to see if there was a way to solve this problem with the EFiction script, which is what I believe AC uses, and found this forum post with several solutions: https://efiction.org/forums/index.php?topic=9148.msg46422#msg46422  Maybe something the mods and/or Chaos could look into?

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos
General Pandemonium

writing fanfic by moonlight....

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2019, 01:32:58 AM »

We were on a roll with the conversation for awhile!  I hate to see it die down again now that DNA's been out a few weeks.

Here's a couple fanfic questions for discussion.

Writers: Which is worse, negative feedback or no feedback?

Readers: If you read something you don't like, do you let the author know or say nothing?

I think no feedback at all is worse. I'd rather someone point out what I'm doing wrong or trying to help me than not saying anything. Like I got the hear wrong on my story and Julie was kind enough to point it out. I can take constructive criticism. It took me a long time but I can handle that now.

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 01:45:57 AM »

I think the key thing about accepting constructive criticism is understanding that it's meant to be helpful.  I remember once in my early days of writing, a reader pointed out that I had mistakenly used the word "erotically" when I meant "erratically" (like breathing erratically) and that the two words mean very different things, LOL.  I fixed it and learned from that so I would never make that mistake again!  Another time, I had a character with a nosebleed being told by a nurse to tip his head back, and a reader with some medical training told me a nurse would never say that because tipping the head back can make blood run down your throat; he should have tipped his head forward instead.  For all my medical research, that was something I hadn't bothered to fact check, but now I know!  I appreciate people pointing stuff like that out, especially when it's an easy fix.

~Julie

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2019, 04:27:54 AM »

Yeah, Iíve bern in the admin section for the last hour and have no clue where to even find that stuff. I think itís more of a Julilly thing. The spam is out of control. Just looking at our new members on the site they are all pretty much bots. Theyíre really hard to stay on top of when they leave reviews etc... itís taken me hours to manually remove them and I know itís taken Julilly the same.

Iíll never get the point of spam bots lol seriously. Does anyone see a penis enlargement review and think I want to click on that?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »

LOL I don't get it either.  I know you guys were spending a long time trying to delete them all.  If Julilly's able to figure out where to add the challenge question or require new members to change their password, it sounds like that may cut down on their ability to actually leave spam reviews.  They'll still be able to make an account; they just won't be able to use it.

~Julie

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2019, 08:37:33 PM »

Watching Nick's 11+ minute (shirtless) live Twitter video from earlier today made me think about how lucky we are that the Boys have become so accessible.  Even if you haven't been able to meet them yet, social media has made them so much more interactive with fans.  If you had told me 20 years ago that I would actually be able to meet the Backstreet Boys, go on cruises with them, have actual conversations with some of them them, get autographs and pictures with them, etc. etc. etc., I wouldn't have believed it!  Even as a naive, delusional teenybopper, I was realistic enough to realize that I would probably never really meet them.  And now I have a whole wall covered with photos I've taken with them!  We as a fandom are so blessed!

~Julie

Rose
Supreme Time Waster

Uh oh! We lost Nick again...

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2019, 07:19:44 AM »

Watching Nick's 11+ minute (shirtless) live Twitter video from earlier today made me think about how lucky we are that the Boys have become so accessible.  Even if you haven't been able to meet them yet, social media has made them so much more interactive with fans.  If you had told me 20 years ago that I would actually be able to meet the Backstreet Boys, go on cruises with them, have actual conversations with some of them them, get autographs and pictures with them, etc. etc. etc., I wouldn't have believed it!  Even as a naive, delusional teenybopper, I was realistic enough to realize that I would probably never really meet them.  And now I have a whole wall covered with photos I've taken with them!  We as a fandom are so blessed!

Good god yes. If I went back in time and told 12 year old me everything that'd someday happen, she would've easily called me a liar. We've been so lucky as a fandom and any time I get frustrated with it, or annoyed, I remind myself of that. Cause really, things could've ended up like NSYNC lol.

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." óAnonymous

ďI donít believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.Ē óRay Bradbury

FrickingKaos
General Pandemonium

writing fanfic by moonlight....

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2019, 12:23:33 PM »

I am so thankful for the boys not ending up like Nsync because as an Nsync fan I'm still upset we did not fully get closure, not to mention that we will never get a reunion. But hey at least there is merch that I can buy cause 14 year old me wasn't allowed to have it then haha

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2019, 03:36:30 PM »

We definitely picked the best boyband!  No offense to the NSYNC fans.

Speaking of other boybands, have you seen NKOTB's new music video?  It's an ode to the history of boybands, and it's so cute!  Great idea for a video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvOPoQrtFGI

~Julie

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »

I didnít watch his entire Twitter live because it kept freezing on me, but I love that when heís bored it seems to be the fans he talks to. Itís so weird how accessible these artists have become to their fans.

How do you think youíd do as a celebrity in the age of social media? Would you constantly let your fans in like bsb do? Would you charge fans to meet you? Would you take selfies with people?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »

Yeah, that is cute!  You didn't really miss much; it was mostly shout-outs to fans, and he and Howie signed some shoes for a fan who came up to them.  I watched the whole thing though, plus the other one he did in his hotel room, LOL.

Those are good questions.  Honestly, I've never had a desire to be famous; I am not a people person and try to avoid human interaction as much as possible outside of my job (where I interact with people all day long, ironically LOL), so it's hard for me to answer.  I could see myself being the super private, reclusive type of celebrity because of that.  But on the other hand, I am a nice person who enjoys making people happy when I can, so I do think I would take selfies and sign autographs for fans.  I understand why celebrities charge fans for photo ops and meet-and-greets.  It may seem greedy, but I think it's mostly to control numbers so they can actually spend a few minutes with each fan, as opposed to being overwhelmed by a swarm of people and not having enough time to get to them all.  The VIPs are already crowded, as are their lines at conventions and things like that, so imagine what it would be like if they didn't charge for those opportunities.  Imagine how exhausting it must be to spend hours taking photos, signing autographs, and letting strangers hug all over you.  I know they appreciate us, but that has to get old.  It's part of the job, though, so they might as well be compensated for it.

Did you watch their concert in Chile from the other night, Mare?  If not, it's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYvNXjyweM  It's pretty much the same show they do in Vegas.  I love when we get professional recordings of concerts!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:01:10 PM by RokofAges75 » Logged

~Julie

Rose
Supreme Time Waster

Uh oh! We lost Nick again...

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2019, 04:43:11 AM »

I think my answer would be along the lines of yours. I would try not to charge crazy amounts but I do agree you have to charge something to control the numbers. What I really liked about Andrew Lincoln is the fact that he wasn't a fan of cons or charging fans but he did the Walking Dead one in Atlanta as a thank you since they filmed there. All the money he made went directly to charity. So it controlled the numbers yet it went to a good cause.

Or like how Nick did that toy drive event here in Vegas. It was literally like any meet and greet I'd been to on his solo tours. Plenty of time, able to chat, get photos, but literally 20$. I'd probably do things like that mixed in with regular M&Gs.

Janet Jackson has her Vegas residency, the description for her VIP is virtually the same as BSB one and she's charging 1,500$. Not even including a ticket. Lady Gaga's is around 2,500$. It's nuts.

Social media seems like a great way to connect with your fans and show appreciation with little risk. I think Kevin and Nick are the best about that.

I saw the NKOTB video! The song is pretty meh but the video was funny LOL.

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." óAnonymous

ďI donít believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.Ē óRay Bradbury

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »

Thanks for posting the concert video! Since I wasnít able to make it to a Vegas show, itíll be nice to see it. Hopefully someone will post a full video of their DNA tour since I wonít be able to do that either. 😕

I would be one of those people that fans would either love me or hate me. I am pretty introverted. I also am pretty sure I was one of those undiagnosed kids who are on the autism spectrum. If aspergers was a thing when I was growing up, Iím pretty sure I wouldíve been diagnosed with that. I hate physical contact. Getting hugged or people touching me, not a good thing so Iíd probably be miserable at these meet and greets or people wanting selfies etc... I try my hardest not to cringe when my little students come at me for a hug or when parents ask me to pose with their kids for a picture. 😳

I think those intimate things the guys used to do for charities were great. Paying for an event and then hanging with them all day for charity. I am not a fan of paying a tremendous amount of money just for a picture and a quick hello. I get why people do it though. Kind of like standing in line at the mall for hours to get a picture with Santa or the Easter bunny.

I think itís incredibly obnoxious to charge the amount those two are asking for and omg the ticket prices for that Aerosmith tour. I hate to break it to you people, but youíre not that special. No one is lol unless youíre going to come home with me, clean my house, go grocery shopping and do some heavy lifting, just no! Youíre just people. Have fifteen tentacles and come from the planet Zorb then maybe.

I actually did see the NKOTB video and had to laugh because it was such a stereotypicall y horrible boy band song from  a stereotypicall y bad boy band. Itís everything I hate about boy bands in one video, including the obligatory horrid rapping lol good lord! Iím not sure why Boys to Men were in there. Just leave them and BSB out of your homage to awfulness. I have strong feelings lol loved that Deborah was in the video too.

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2019, 11:17:12 AM »

Cracking up at your review of the NKOTB video, Mare!

I'm not a huggy, touchy-feely person either.  I don't mind hugs, but I'm not usually the one to initiate them.  I would not enjoy getting hugged and touched all the time by total strangers.  The Boys have become very tolerant with that kind of stuff - god bless them, LOL.

Those prices for Janet Jackson, Lady Gaga, etc. are ridiculous!  I think BSB charging $500 for their VIP is ridiculous too, considering we've gotten more for way less on past tours.  I won't pay that kind of money.

~Julie

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Jump to: