Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 49
Author Topic: Conversations about all things BSB related...  (Read 30551 times)
julilly
Master of Havoc
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #555 on: April 25, 2020, 08:06:26 PM »

The efiction platform has been defunct since 2013. The code is not stable, so this doesn't really surprise me. Everyone should ensure they have their work backed up, posted to AO3... something, because the efiction code could crash tomorrow, we just don't know.

AC averages about 5,000-10,000 spam accounts signed up per month and it's massively taxing on the database. Even the efiction creators had to shut down their support forum because of the spam and they don't currently have a coder working on creating a new version so there may never be a solution for it.

~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Mistral
Major Disruption

« Reply #556 on: April 25, 2020, 08:27:37 PM »

Thanks Iím gonna save my work before the website crash for good

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #557 on: April 25, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »

I think Iíll be making an account over there as well to post some of the stories I donít want to lose. Once I know a username Iíll pass it along

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #558 on: April 25, 2020, 10:45:18 PM »

That is sad about the spammers and the lack of support from eFiction being obsolete.  Posting to AO3 is a good idea.  Their platform is user friendly and seems to be kept up to date.  I'll continue to post my stories to AC too, but if my account were to get deleted, I'd be done... too many stories and too much history to start over and repost everything.  I'm so sorry to those this has happened to.

I would also recommend downloading your favorite stories by other authors on AC, especially the ones that aren't posted on any other websites.  AC makes this pretty easy to do.  On the story, click on the printer icon at the top under the title and author's name, and it will pull up a new tab with the whole story.  You don't have to actually print it; you can just right click on that page and save it as a webpage.  There is also an option to save stories as Word documents, but that didn't work for me - I just tried one, and it only gave me a blank document.  Still, much easier than my old-school method of copying and pasting every chapter of a story into a Word document.  Speaking from experience, though, I'm really glad I did that with many of my favorites back in the day because some of them have since disappeared from the internet.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #559 on: April 26, 2020, 02:13:53 AM »

Iím sorry this is happening to people as well.

I can only save things from my phone. So itís the old fashioned way for me I guess lol

Itís weird seeing a line to get approval to sign up for that site. Iíve never seen that before.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:15:24 AM by mare » Logged

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #560 on: April 26, 2020, 09:03:26 AM »

Iím sorry this is happening to people as well.

I can only save things from my phone. So itís the old fashioned way for me I guess lol

Itís weird seeing a line to get approval to sign up for that site. Iíve never seen that before.

I forgot you had to have an invitation to join AO3!  I joined it back in 2015 just to have an account established.  I just checked, and it doesn't look like they're still allowing users to send out invitations.  There's a list you have to join.  No idea how long it takes to get approved.  I guess this is how they prevent spammers joining?

~Julie

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #561 on: April 26, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »

I forgot you had to have an invitation to join AO3!  I joined it back in 2015 just to have an account established.  I just checked, and it doesn't look like they're still allowing users to send out invitations.  There's a list you have to join.  No idea how long it takes to get approved.  I guess this is how they prevent spammers joining?

Itís actually a great idea if thatís why they do it. I got my invite this morning and already started posting. Iím egypt18015. Mare was already taken 😕 I am starting with Why aid do it all Again. The only weird thing is the random ? That comes up where Ď should be.

Mistral
Major Disruption

« Reply #562 on: April 26, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »

I follow all of you!!

cynni
Fledgling

« Reply #563 on: April 26, 2020, 02:12:37 PM »

me too

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #564 on: April 26, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »

Itís actually a great idea if thatís why they do it. I got my invite this morning and already started posting. Iím egypt18015. Mare was already taken 😕 I am starting with Why aid do it all Again. The only weird thing is the random ? That comes up where Ď should be.

Oh good! I'm glad it doesn't take long to get the invitation.  I subscribed to you.

The [?] thing is what I was complaining about here on AC a couple years ago!  I think it has to do with stupid Microsoft Word formatting.  It happens with certain punctuation marks like quotation marks, hyphens, and ellipses that Word likes to stylize, and these fanfic sites don't seem to recognize it.  If I were to try copying and pasting my old stories that I originally typed in Word straight from AC to AO3, they would be full of those symbols.  I've had better luck copying from my Wordpress site.

Another option is to open the story in Word and do a Find and Replace for the following:
- quotation marks
- apostrophes
- hyphens/dashes
- ellipses (...)
You have to find an example of each punctuation mark within the Word doc, copy it, paste it into the Find box, and then just type the regular punctuation mark (don't paste) into the Replace box and click Replace All.  It will fix them that way.

A third option is to copy the story in Word and paste it into Notepad or any kind of bare bones editor that will remove all the formatting and convert it to plain text.  The only downside to this method is that it will remove your italics, bold text, and any text formatting like that, and you'll have to go back and code that by hand if you want it.

It's a huge pain in the ass.  I refuse to use Word anymore; I've gone to Google Docs and have no regrets.  When I update my site, I still paste chapters into Wordpress as plain text and do italics by hand, then copy/paste to AC and AO3 from there because I'm paranoid about these symbols showing up again.  I think I fixed most of my stories that had them on AC, but if try editing chapters of old stories to fix typos or whatever, they come back on AC.  So annoying!

~Julie

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #565 on: April 26, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »

How do you follow people on there? I havenít really searched much.

I only have my phone to use when posting so the ? Will have to stay there. Iím sure no one will really read them anywhere so as long as the stories are saved, thatís all I really care about. That is annoying though!

Mistral
Major Disruption

« Reply #566 on: April 26, 2020, 03:30:47 PM »

Under the name you have a button subscribe you click on it to follow the person

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #567 on: April 26, 2020, 04:00:03 PM »

Thank you! I think I followed all of you.

As Iím posting this I realized how anal I was about posting once a week like clockwork every Monday.

I started posting WHy Iíd... in 2005. That story is 15 years old! Lol weird!!

Mistral
Major Disruption

« Reply #568 on: April 26, 2020, 04:07:29 PM »

Youíre very welcome!

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #569 on: April 27, 2020, 12:37:27 AM »

Thank you! I think I followed all of you.

As Iím posting this I realized how anal I was about posting once a week like clockwork every Monday.

I started posting WHy Iíd... in 2005. That story is 15 years old! Lol weird!!

It's crazy how time flies!  My site's 20th anniversary is on Wednesday.  I can't believe I've been doing this for two decades LOL. That means we've known each other almost 20 years too, Mare... 18, I think, technically.  You always were good about updating regularly.  That's such a rare thing, considering how many writers are notorious for starting stories and then disappearing without finishing them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:39:01 AM by RokofAges75 » Logged

~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 49
Print
Jump to: