Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50
Author Topic: Conversations about all things BSB related...  (Read 33828 times)
Rose
Supreme Time Waster

Uh oh! We lost Nick again...

« Reply #720 on: June 20, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »

I have my music on shuffle and Weird World came on. Honestly this song feels as timely as it did then. Plus Nick sounds wonderful. I kind of wish he'd sing it now since his voice is so much stronger than it was then.

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #721 on: June 20, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »

I haven’t listened to Nevergone in a really long time. In fact I haven’t really listened to much of anything since I no longer commute anywhere. For a musician I really should listen to music more often lol I’m all about reading and watching TV. I wish I could motivate myself to write something as well.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #722 on: June 20, 2020, 02:42:29 PM »

LOL Weird World is a perfect anthem for this weird-ass year.

I listen to music mainly when I'm in my car too, or when I'm cleaning or on the computer.  This week I've been listening to my random playlist of regular music while I write, which I usually find distracting, but it's been working for me this week.  I wish you could motivate yourself to write something too!  It's been a good distraction.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #723 on: June 21, 2020, 01:35:35 AM »

I haven’t listened to Nevergone in a really long time. In fact I haven’t really listened to much of anything since I no longer commute anywhere. For a musician I really should listen to music more often lol I’m all about reading and watching TV. I wish I could motivate myself to write something as well.

I'm going through spurts where if I'm not tired I'm writing to give myself mental breaks. Some nights lately are so rough that I just try and unwind by binge watching LOL. I always listen to music when I'm cleaning or in the shower.

Lately I'm also getting distracted by YouTube, I was looking up something for Nick and ended up watching videos lmao. Like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beJlOmKZ-PA

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #724 on: June 21, 2020, 10:10:36 AM »

I still love that song so much!  Glad to hear you've been writing.  I need an update on your new story!  I totally get being so brain dead you just want to binge watch TV instead though.  That is usually me after work too.

~Julie

Carter-Orange
Chief of Disorder

« Reply #725 on: June 23, 2020, 04:39:41 AM »

I love that Nick posted pictures of his kids, he looks so happy and has really turned his life around.  I love seeing all of them posting family pictures, and I don't understand why people post such hateful comments to them.  I'd hate to be famous, I think if I was I'd just have to have private accounts for friends and family.

I agree with Julie, need an update on your new story Rose Smiley

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #726 on: June 23, 2020, 11:53:06 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the Boys did have private accounts that we don't know about.  I probably would if I were famous too.

~Julie

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #727 on: June 23, 2020, 10:01:12 PM »

I learned a new piece of BSB trivia tonight that I never knew before!  As all American fans probably know, the U.S. "Backstreet Boys" debut album is different from the international debut album (the red album).  The U.S. debut features songs from both the red album and the Backstreet's Back album, but has the same cover as Backstreet's Back.  I knew all of that.  But what I did not know was that there are two different versions of the U.S. debut.  

From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstreet_Boys_(1997_album):
"There were two editions of this album available. The original pressing contained 11 songs and did not include "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)". Presumably, this may have been due to the title of the song, which correlates with the title of the international album, Backstreet's Back. The title would not necessarily make sense in the context of this album being their American debut. The decision to make it a single in the US contributed to a re-release of the album in 1998, which contained 12 tracks, this time including an extended version of the song.[8] There are also several differences between the songs from the international debut album: the second verse of "Quit Playing Games" was re-recorded to feature Nick Carter, replacing Brian Littrell's verse from the original version; "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" was only featured in an extended mix, and a demo version of "As Long as You Love Me", using different instrumentatio n, arrangement and mixing, was included in place of the final version. The demo version was released as a single in the US and the final version was released in the 1998 pressing of the album and on The Hits – Chapter One.

The original pressing of the album had a maroon spine and blue background on the back inlay. The second pressing of the album had a teal spine and a straw-colored background on the back inlay. Both versions of the album contained the same Enhanced Section, containing videos and other multimedia files."

I didn't buy the album until 1998, so I've only ever had the one with Everybody and the Nick version of QPG.  I knew there was an older version of QPG because I later bought the red album, but I never knew there was a different version of the entire album.  Mind blown!

Do any of my fellow American fans have the original version?

~Julie

Rose
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #728 on: June 24, 2020, 03:15:53 AM »

I had no idea about the 11 track version till a couple years ago. I forget how I found out but yeah their debut here has a weird history LOL.

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #729 on: June 24, 2020, 09:19:47 AM »

It makes sense why they didn't put Everybody on it originally, even though it's an amazing song, because I remember my friends and I questioning why they were singing "Backstreet's back" before we knew they had actually had another album out already.  We were like, "Back from where??" LOL

I wish they would have just made the U.S. debut a double album with all the songs from the red album and Backstreet's Back.  Some of the choices they made on which songs to include and which to leave out are questionable.

~Julie

Rose
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #730 on: June 24, 2020, 05:43:17 PM »

It makes sense why they didn't put Everybody on it originally, even though it's an amazing song, because I remember my friends and I questioning why they were singing "Backstreet's back" before we knew they had actually had another album out already.  We were like, "Back from where??" LOL

I wish they would have just made the U.S. debut a double album with all the songs from the red album and Backstreet's Back.  Some of the choices they made on which songs to include and which to leave out are questionable.

Agreed. Some if their best early songs never got released here and it's a damn travesty. Though it's funny cause you can tell at shows who the die hards are based on if they know I Wanna Be With You lol

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #731 on: June 24, 2020, 07:42:19 PM »

I Wanna Be With You is definitely one that should have been on the U.S. album!  Also That's the Way I Like It and Like a Child.  I would trade Darlin', Hey Mr. DJ, and Anywhere for You for those three.

~Julie

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #732 on: July 20, 2020, 04:23:37 PM »

This thread hasn't been updated in almost a month, and that is sad.

I just noticed something interesting about AO3 that I wanted to bring up.  I've been posting my stories on there throughout the pandemic; I started with all the short ones and then moved on to some of my novels, posting a chapter a day.  I just finished Curtain Call last week and am getting toward the end of Song for the Undead.  Undead is the longest story I will probably put on AO3, and I was curious to see how it compared to other stories there, length-wise, so I did a sort by word count within the BSB section.  I found that not only is Undead already the longest BSB fic there, Curtain Call is number two, and there are quite a few older stories I recognize by AC authors (Mare and Rose) just on the first page.  Here is the sort if you're interested in seeing for yourself: https://archiveofourown.org/tags/Backstreet%20Boys/works?commit=Sort+and+Filter&page=1&utf8=%E2%9C%93&work_search%5Bcomplete%5D=&work_search%5Bcrossover%5D=&work_search%5Bdate_from%5D=&work_search%5Bdate_to%5D=&work_search%5Bexcluded_tag_names%5D=&work_search%5Blanguage_id%5D=&work_search%5Bother_tag_names%5D=&work_search%5Bquery%5D=&work_search%5Bsort_column%5D=word_count&work_search%5Bwords_from%5D=&work_search%5Bwords_to%5D=

I thought it was interesting that all these old stories are some of the longest on the site, which got me thinking about how trends may have changed outside of my little BSB bubble of my own site and AC.  Are novels not as popular anymore compared to short stories, or is AO3 just full of authors who start stories and don't finish them?  I've always preferred novels to short stories as both a reader and writer because they allow for more complex plots and character development, but maybe that's not what the average reader on that site is looking for.  It's interesting how the culture and norms are different across fanfic communities within the same fandom.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:25:10 PM by RokofAges75 » Logged

~Julie

mare
Banner hater
Queen of Fanfiction
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #733 on: July 21, 2020, 04:53:00 AM »

That’s interesting. I haven’t really looked around on there very much, but I can say based on things I have posted, it seems like I got more hits for my one shots than my novels. And those hits are few and far between. I think if I were writing fiction now, no one would be reading my stuff. I think it’s mostly slash and het stuff now.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75
Supreme Time Waster

« Reply #734 on: July 21, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »

It seems to be very slash dominated over there, especially Brian/Nick slash.  There's not even a lot of het romance that I've seen.  It makes me wonder how many more hits I would get if I just started throwing the Brian/Nick tag on all my stories, haha.  I wouldn't really do that, but it would be an interesting experiment.

~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50
Print
Jump to: