Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Quarantine check in  (Read 86949 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Quarantine check in
« on: March 22, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »

Hey everyone! I know we all don’t really post much anymore but since most of us are stuck indoors for the foreseeable future, I thought it would be nice to open a new thread to see how everyone is doing. How are you coping?

So check in and tell us how you all are doing!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Quarantine check in
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:07:36 AM »

Hey!  I'm so glad to see someone post here.  This whole situation is surreal.  School has been out for a week now, and it still feels so weird.

My district wasn't equipped for full-on online learning because we're not one-to-one with technology yet and, since I teach in a low-income area, not all our students have a computer or even internet at home. We sent home paper "remote learning packets" that the kids are to work on. For me, working from home so far basically equates to sending daily communication and just being available to answer questions from parents or students as needed. I've been spending a few hours each morning talking to the kids on Google Classroom and have started recording myself reading so we can continue our class read-aloud. I genuinely miss seeing my students, but it's also nice to be able to spend my time interacting with the ones who actually care about learning and not disciplining the ones who don't give a shit.  And of course I'm loving not having to get ready and put on real clothes in the morning.

Other than that, life doesn't feel much different for me yet.  I had to go to work last Monday and chose to go to work Thursday and Friday to help hand out packets, so I've basically only been quarantined for the weekend.  But being an introvert, I'm more than happy to practice social distancing and live like a hermit at home by myself.

My sister was sick last week and tested negative for the flu.  They refused to test her for Corona because she hadn't traveled or had any known exposure.  There are not many tests available in my area, so apparently they're only testing people sick enough to be hospitalized, which was not her.  She self-isolated for a week and is feeling a lot better now, so I'm not sure if she really had it or was just being paranoid.  I'm betting there have been a lot more cases than they're reporting, though, especially since they're not testing a lot of people with symptoms.  So far everyone else in my family has been fine, thank goodness.  I haven't actually seen my sister in weeks, so if she did have it, I wasn't exposed.

How's everyone else doing?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:10:44 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »

I'm doing okay. I still have to work because I work in a grocery store. Hours got severely cut at my evening job. I work for ShopRite and they're giving us a 2 dollar raise that started today and ends in May. We also get free breakfast and day crew gets free lunch. It's nice considering I usually work 48 hours a week and am now working 54 hours. I had to cancel my trip to Disneyland that I was doing in May. So far my town only has one case that I know of
When I'm not working I stay at home. Everything is closed here. There's a cerfew after 9pm so we have to show a special letter in case we get pulled over by the police proving where we work.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »

I'm glad they're treating you well at ShopRite, Tracy!  Thank you for helping keep people supplied with what they need during this.  I'm so sorry you had to cancel your trip. Hopefully you'll be able to reschedule for when this is over.

Oh wow... no curfew here yet, but I could see one being enacted if they think people aren't taking the lockdown order seriously enough.  I wish people would just follow directions and stay home.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »

I have to say I’m really grateful that I am not living alone anymore. I do t know what I would’ve done during this whole isolation thing. Not so much the being alone part, I enjoy my alone time, but the shopping part. I would’ve never been able to do that!

Tracy I give you so much credit for showing up to work and dealing with all the crap I’m sure you have to put up with. Anyone working in retail are the real heroes in this! I hope you get to go on your vacations! I’m hoping that things will settle down by September because I’d very much like to still go to my concert. We’ll see I guess.

Have they extended the amount of time you’ll be out of school, Julie? I’m thinking they are going to say this is it. Washington announced today that their school year is over. I can’t even imagine being a senior in high school or college and finding out the school year is over. How will that work? Do we just act like this year didn’t happen and just restart next year? And what about all the education majors who still have to student teach to get their degrees?

If I was still teaching, I would’ve had to use Zoom to do group lessons online but a lot of my former colleagues are saying there is a delay and sound problems. Plus so many kids do t have access to a computer and a ton of them left their instruments at school not realizing how long they’d be off.

As far as me dealing with things, honestly since I’ve moved up here I rarely leave my house. I used to go grocery shopping once every two weeks but since I have 2 auto immune diseases I haven’t left at all since this thing started. Ironically enough, I’ve not felt well for the last week. I have a cough and sore throat and headache. There’s really no way I could’ve caught this thing though. I’m worried about my mom. She lives alone and is also high risk plus she’s undergoing chemo for breast cancer. She seems to be doing well so far.

I wish people would just stay home and listen to all the medical experts out there. It doesn’t help that we have such a joke of a president who lacks empathy and only cares about himself and his money.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:22:29 PM »

I'm glad you've got your sister around to help with things like groceries, Mare!

I pray this is all over by summer so the tour isn't affected.  I'm sure that sounds selfish to others outside our fandom, but I know you guys understand.

Our school closure has gone from March 31 originally to April 8 now.  Our spring break is April 4-13, and they haven't changed that on us, so we will tentatively go back the 14th... but I could see them extending it.  Our district is sending out a survey to parents tomorrow about internet and available devices at home, so I know they're looking ahead and trying to assess needs for true e-learning.

My kids are in the same boat as far as leaving things at school.  We had no idea when we left that Friday that this would happen so quickly or at all.  I would have at least had them take home their library books, etc. if I'd had any indication.

I'm glad to hear you're staying put.  The last thing you need is to be exposed to this thing.  I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's breast cancer.  I hope she continues to do well!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »

Hi everyone, I've been working from home since last week but having to pop to the office twice a week to drop things off, it's weird seeing the place empty and I actually miss going. It's nice that I don't have to bother with work clothes or straightening my hair in the morning though, and my office is set up in the spare bedroom.  Work has been busier than ever though and really stressful,  I've been mentally drained and in bed early every night with a book.

We've been on lockdown since Monday and only allowed out for exercise once a day, essential food shopping and work.  All shops apart from supermarkets,  pharmacies and DIY shops have closed.  It's just like something out of a movie.

My daughter's college probably won't be back until September,  but don't know for sure.  She also works part time in a supermarket and says it's been hell, the customers have been so rude.  They are also getting a pay rise until May, and so they should!

We are having to be careful here as my husband has cardiomyopathy and so higher risk if he got the virus, but with Holly working in a supermarket it's quite hard to distance but he doesn't want to stay at my parents house (they are totally isolating for 12 weeks as told by the government due to my mum recovering from breast cancer and stepdad had health issues).  The government have said all people over 70 or with serious health conditions have to stay indoors for 12 weeks to help the NHS cope with the virus and to prevent them getting it.

Stay safe everyone, scary times!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »

It really does feel like a movie. Surreal. So weird. My state is on lockdown, too, but our rules aren't as strict as yours. All "non-essential businesses" are closed, and people are encouraged to stay home unless they need to get something or go to work, but they aren't policing when you can and can't leave your home.

Most of the colleges around here have gone to online classes for the rest of the semester and have cancelled graduation in May. I don't think they've made decisions about summer classes, but a lot of those are online anyway.

That is scary with Holly having to go to work. I hope you all can stay safe and avoid getting it!  I don't know anyone personally who has had it, but there have been more cases popping up in my area. They're still not testing people unless they have to be hospitalized, so I'm sure there are a lot more cases than are being reported.  My sister started feeling better this past weekend and went back to work yesterday (with a mask on), and no one else in the family has gotten sick, so we're hopeful that whatever she had, it wasn't the rona.

Hang in there, everyone!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 12:01:37 AM »

We are in lockdown too, but not as strict either although it really should be because NY is getting pummeled with this thing. My county has over 200 confirmed cases with a few deaths. Tests are scarce though. I went to the doctor today, just a physical wit a new primary care doctor and it was a very bizarre experience. I’ve never had to wear a mask before. Those things aren’t comfortable. Even how few cars were on the normally very busy streets where I live was kind of surreal.

I don’t know anyone whose had it, thankfully but im sure it’s just a matter of time. Schools are closed until April 20th here but I have a feeling that will be extended.

Today was supposed to be opening day for baseball and I’m all

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 09:33:13 AM »

It's so sad about baseball. :(  I did enjoy re-living the 2016 World Series on MLB Network the other day.  Looking forward to the living room concert on Sunday.  I'm so curious about how that's going to go.  Originally I wondered if they were just going to show old performances from IHeartRadio, but it sounds like they're really going to do it from their homes.  That'll be interesting trying to get five guys in five different places to sing in sync, but if anyone can pull that off, it's our Boys. I'm not sure if they're actually doing it live or if it'll be pre-recorded - anyone know?
~Julie

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »

Hi everyone!

We are in lockdown in here too! School are close for a month now and won’t open until may and maybe only next year.

I cannot leave my house because it is too dangerous because of my degenerative illness and it’s tough for my mental state.

I don’t know if the backstreet boys concert in september gonna be able to play because center Bell gonna be close for many months.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 07:09:51 PM »

Hi Stephanie!  Hang in there.  I know a lot of people are struggling with being stuck at home for so many days.  I see this as a good opportunity to catch up on reading, watching shows, and writing without the guilty feeling that I should be socializing or doing something "productive."  This is a time when it's socially acceptable to be a lazy shut-in, and I am so here for that!

I really hope this doesn't affect the tour.  It seems like if everyone would just stay home and away from each other like they're asking us to do for a few weeks, it should stop the spread.  But people are stupid, so who knows.  I'm sure the Boys would reschedule if they had to postpone.
~Julie

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »

Thanks! Yes I work on two different fanfics right now.

I think the boys need to postpone Quebec tour because it is very bad here right now.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 09:05:05 PM »

Good for you!

We still have almost 4 months until the North American dates start, so hopefully things will be better by then. I really hope they're better by May so the Australian tour can go on as planned, too.
~Julie

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 09:22:18 PM »

Yes I need to do something because I’m so bored.

Here in Quebec the 2 show are in five months.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23