Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: Quarantine check in  (Read 86903 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Quarantine check in
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2020, 10:38:17 PM »

Oh haaaai

Hey!!  Welcome back!  How have you been doing through all this?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2020, 10:50:10 PM »

Hey!!  Welcome back!  How have you been doing through all this?

Someone sent me a meme earlier that summed up very well how I'm feeling:

"I'm a homebody but DAMN... I did like going to one or two places."

Today marked a month of working from home, which isn't terrible but I could go a couple days without actually speaking to anyone if not for Zoom meetings. We just hit 1,500 cases in Alberta today and 61% of those are in my city, so it's been a bit crazy.

How are you guys holding up?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2020, 01:56:39 AM »

That quote is so me too LOL.  I'm a total homebody, so quarantine life suits me, but I do miss my family, my friends, and my students.  As well as simple things like going to the grocery store without feeling like I'm risking my life.  I went yesterday morning for the first time in almost a month, and it wasn't too bad.  The store was well-stocked with everything except paper products (and baking powder - the only item on my list I couldn't get LOL), there were no lines, and people kept their distance.

Thankfully, there are only 45 confirmed cases in my area.  Most of the cases in Illinois are coming from the Chicago area, and I'm a couple hours south of there.  In reality, I bet there's been a lot more cases than what's being reported because of the lack of tests.

Stay safe!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2020, 06:35:31 AM »

We are almost on our last roll of toilet paper. There is none anywhere!! We managed to find a 4 pack online at Walmart. It won’t get here until April 23rd.

Because of my immune system, I haven’t left my house since early February with the exception of going to the doctor once. Basically quarantine is my usual way of life so I’m okay with it, but my sister has been home for a month. The two of us share a one bedroom. We get along really well but I miss my own space. Is it weird to miss being all alone? Lol

We have I think over 1,600 cases here in Buffalo specifically the county where I live including someone in my apartment building so even opening our front door is a little scary. This whole thing seems surreal.

Happy Easter/Passover everyone!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2020, 02:46:49 PM »

I still do not understand the toilet paper thing!  Not sure it's so much a hoarding situation at this point as just the suppliers falling behind in production/distribution because of the demand due to hoarding at the beginning.  That's the only aisle that was still pretty picked over when I went grocery shopping on Thursday.  I've looked on Amazon, and it's the same situation there - you can find off-brand toilet paper for expensive prices and expect to get it in May.  Not helpful.

Has your sister tried going to the stores first thing in the morning (or after senior hours if they're doing that)?  Or tried dollar stores, hardware stores, less obvious places than grocery stores or big box stores?  I've heard of people having better luck at Dollar General and places like that.

~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2020, 03:21:11 PM »

Grocery stores here are slowly but surely getting their stock back. Still low on cleaning supplies but the hardest thing to find is flour and yeast because everyone is making bread! I did see an article this morning quoting the CEO of Walmart saying the new focus of hoarding seems to be hair dye and clippers lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2020, 03:32:27 PM »

Here in Quebec we have 12 thousand of cases and all the dry food is gone on the store

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2020, 03:54:21 PM »

Grocery stores here are slowly but surely getting their stock back. Still low on cleaning supplies but the hardest thing to find is flour and yeast because everyone is making bread! I did see an article this morning quoting the CEO of Walmart saying the new focus of hoarding seems to be hair dye and clippers lol

:D at the hair products!  I'm afraid to try trimming mine, so looks like I'll be growing it out.

The only thing on my list I couldn't find at all the other day was baking powder.  The yeast was all but gone too.  I just make beer bread instead - super easy, no yeast required, and really good!  I always seem to have a few random bottles of old beer shoved in the back of my fridge.  I did get a bag of flour!

One non-essential thing I have not yet been able to find is Kraft Mac & Cheese LOL.  I like to keep a few boxes on hand for easy emergency meals, but the stores have been out of basically all boxed mac and cheese every time I've been.  The first time I tried grocery shopping right after the schools were closed, there was no cheese of any kind in any store, period.  We like our cheese in the Midwest LOL.

The nice part of living alone is I don't feel the need to obsessively disinfect things around my house, as there's no one else I can infect, so I haven't run out of cleaning supplies yet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:58:00 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »

Hi!

We have about 2,700 cases. 2,000 cases are in Clark County but when you think about Vegas' population of 2.7 million it could be way worse.  That said the numbers are probably off because of testing. So far we haven't turned into NYC so I'm thankful. I've also heard there's a theory the virus doesn't do well in heat. IF that's true then Vegas will in that aspect do okay.

We still can't keep toilet paper lol. Vegas as a whole is on lockdown and so to run my front end I have to have someone doing a headcount cause we have a limit of how many can be inside, someone outside for Order Pickup and one of our entrances is closed off so everyone goes in and out the same way. Some have a really hard time with that despite the barrier, the giant sign and the person saying NO lmao. Drive Up orders where you pull up in your car exploded too, it's nuts. I'm constantly jumping in to help my team with it.

I need sugar and for some reason I'm having a hard time finding that lately LOL. I'm not out yet but with times being what they are I start looking early so I have the luxury of not store hopping for what I need all day. We are slowly getting supplies back in and still have a list of limits to try and keep it that way. I just wish people would stay HOME if they don't need to go out.

Alcohol is the new hoarding item for Vegas LOL. Now that the liquor stores are closed it's flying out the door. Which...okay I can understand it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2020, 05:25:07 PM »

Has your sister tried going to the stores first thing in the morning (or after senior hours if they're doing that)?  Or tried dollar stores, hardware stores, less obvious places than grocery stores or big box stores?  I've heard of people having better luck at Dollar General and places like that.

With everything going on, my sister is afraid to leave the apartment. She’s always been kind of a hypochondriac so this thing has really not helped with that phobia. It’s actually kind of funny sometimes. Just to see the look on her face if she happens to cough or her stomach starts to hurt. She’s convinced she has it about ninety  times a day lol

I would go out, but as a diabetic with MS, I’d probably drop dead the second I left the apartment with my sister yelling at my corpse “See! I told you so!!” Lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2020, 07:38:04 PM »

With everything going on, my sister is afraid to leave the apartment. She’s always been kind of a hypochondriac so this thing has really not helped with that phobia. It’s actually kind of funny sometimes. Just to see the look on her face if she happens to cough or her stomach starts to hurt. She’s convinced she has it about ninety  times a day lol

I would go out, but as a diabetic with MS, I’d probably drop dead the second I left the apartment with my sister yelling at my corpse “See! I told you so!!” Lol

LMAO this mental image is lovely.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2020, 02:41:11 AM »

With everything going on, my sister is afraid to leave the apartment. She’s always been kind of a hypochondriac so this thing has really not helped with that phobia. It’s actually kind of funny sometimes. Just to see the look on her face if she happens to cough or her stomach starts to hurt. She’s convinced she has it about ninety  times a day lol

Aww... I get the hypochondria thing; I have always been kind of a closet hypochondriac too, and teaching has turned me into a germophobe.  I haven't been freaking out about the rona though.  It's definitely scary to hear the stories about it, but maybe because it's not as widespread around me and because I've been staying home, I don't worry much about getting it myself.  I'm sure if I was an essential worker and had other people living with me, I would be a lot more concerned.  You have every reason to stay put.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2020, 04:23:48 AM »

Aww... I get the hypochondria thing; I have always been kind of a closet hypochondriac too, and teaching has turned me into a germophobe.  I haven't been freaking out about the rona though.  It's definitely scary to hear the stories about it, but maybe because it's not as widespread around me and because I've been staying home, I don't worry much about getting it myself.  I'm sure if I was an essential worker and had other people living with me, I would be a lot more concerned.  You have every reason to stay put.

And see I've never been a hypochondriac or a germophobe but this whole thing is turning me into one. I think that's why I've been writing more, because I need a way to turn my brain off. When everything escalated and got crazy, I won't lie I had a hard time sleeping the first couple nights. Because my mind just wouldn't stop. I'm doing good and I'm being very careful, to the point where I can't do much more. But I'd be lying if the thoughts didn't sneak in still sometimes.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »

Totally understandable!  Writing is a good distraction.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »

Totally understandable!  Writing is a good distraction.

Sims has been my distraction this week lol
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23