Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Quarantine check in  (Read 86934 times)

Mistral

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Quarantine check in
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2020, 09:36:16 PM »

Here all the restaurants are close, but many choose to do boxes or take out for their clients. We didn’t when the restaurants gonna open again, because things change everyday here.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2020, 10:18:40 PM »

Wow, that's crazy!  Most restaurants here with drive-thru or takeout never closed down (just can't dine in), but our governor announced restaurants can open up outdoor seating starting next Friday, so I imagine those places will be crazy.  I'm going to stay away until it calms down.  I did hear Starbucks drive-thru lines have been crazy since they opened back up, as most of them around here were closed initially.

Restaurants here opened up their patios a couple weeks ago - I have yet to see anyone actually sitting on one and I drive by quite a number of them daily. They also opened up golf courses a couple weeks ago so my in-laws are happy LOL. My brother in law is a doctor and he has basically been in the hospital, sleeping or golfing these days.

Our Premier announced today that schools will be going back a few weeks early to make up for lost time and it's not clear if teachers will be paid extra, or how they're even going to manage that. There was something mentioned about them losing their PD days which is ridiculous. I have a lot of friends who are in education here and they are pretty upset by this decision. Very bad judgement by the government for a lot of reasons. I hope they reconsider after all the pushback they're going to get.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2020, 03:06:24 AM »

Some restaurants here have started a limited delivery service, but I think they are being overwhelmed with demand as I hear there are long waits for the food.  I'd rather wait until they re-open and things have calmed down.

Steph, they should pay them extra if they are having to go back early.  It's not clear what's happening with schools here either though.  England are going back next month but not sure about Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2020, 06:59:32 AM »

Pretty much all the states here are in the process of opening while some of the dumber states (pro Trump ones) are seeing their number of cases rise again. I give it about two more weeks before we are right back where am we started only this time orange Hitler won’t close anything down.

NY was talking about doing the same thing. Starting the school year early, especially if it has to start online. This is all insane!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »

Orange Hitler lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »

Orange Hitler lol

If the show fits lol

On another note. I still haven’t received an email concerning my BSB tickets and whether or kit they concert has been postponed or cancelled
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2020, 08:02:41 PM »

Some restaurants here have started a limited delivery service, but I think they are being overwhelmed with demand as I hear there are long waits for the food.  I'd rather wait until they re-open and things have calmed down.

Steph, they should pay them extra if they are having to go back early.  It's not clear what's happening with schools here either though.  England are going back next month but not sure about Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Absolutely they should pay them extra for having to go back early! We have a very conservative government in power right now in Manitoba so there have sadly been cuts to education, health care and public services. It's really sad - and they are intent on continuing the cuts even through this pandemic and moving forward with the budget and plan they had for the province before this all started. It was a bad plan before and its even worse now. Frustrating.

Mare, I feel like Ticketmaster emails might be coming in order of when the shows were? I just got the email for one of my concerts a couple days ago, and that show was supposed to be on June 9. Not sure when your BSB show was but maybe they're prioritizing sending out the emails for shows that were to happen a bit sooner? I worked for Ticketmaster years and years ago and unless something has drastically changed there, that place is definitely a shitshow with all this mess lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2020, 12:11:14 AM »

Our Premier announced today that schools will be going back a few weeks early to make up for lost time and it's not clear if teachers will be paid extra, or how they're even going to manage that. There was something mentioned about them losing their PD days which is ridiculous. I have a lot of friends who are in education here and they are pretty upset by this decision. Very bad judgement by the government for a lot of reasons. I hope they reconsider after all the pushback they're going to get.

That is ridiculous!  How disrespectful toward teachers.  Just because we haven't been physically going to school for the past two months doesn't mean we weren't still working and at least attempting to help our students learn.  In some ways, we had to work harder to figure out all this new technology on the fly and then help our students and their parents navigate it, too.  In other ways, it was easier, sure, but I don't think anyone on either end would say remote learning was easy or ideal.  Teachers and students deserve to have their summer vacation as originally planned and should start fresh in the fall.  Starting early is not going to make much of a difference in what the kids learn, but it could make a huge difference for teachers' morale and rate of burnout.  I know everyone's worried about the kids falling behind, but they're all in the same boat.  Teachers are aware of this and will adjust their instruction accordingly to catch them up next school year.  We are used to working with kids of all ability levels and backgrounds anyway, so it's not a big deal.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2020, 12:11:59 AM »

That could be true about Ticketmaster emails coming out in the order of shows.  My shows were back to back, and I got the emails on back to back days.  They were July 31-August 1, so toward the beginning of the tour.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2020, 12:28:45 AM »

Has anyone else found themselves doing more online shopping right now? I'm so burnt out on stores cause of work, I've been ordering practically all my non-essentials online LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2020, 12:57:44 AM »

I go through phases.  I did spend $130 on the Backstreet Boys store about a month ago, which I would normally never do.  Happy birthday to me!  I also bought a couple of quarantine-themed sweatshirts on Amazon to commemorate the occasion.  Otherwise, I've probably shopped a lot less, online or otherwise, than I normally would.  I didn't buy any spring clothes because I have basically been living in loungewear, so that saved me some money.  I haven't been to Target in over two months, which is huge.  I tend to be the "go to Target for one thing and end up spending $100 after wandering through every aisle and buying a bunch of stuff I don't need just because it's cute" type of shopper, so my debit card is happy to get a break.  I still buy stuff on Amazon, but not any more than usual.

Then there's the fact that stuff I really could use is out of stock.  I saw an Office Depot ad on Twitter a few weeks ago for office chairs under $100, and my office chair at home is literally falling apart - the fake leather is peeling off, and I'm always having to re-adjust the height because it randomly sinks down - so I actually clicked on the ad, found a chair I liked for a good price, and ordered it.  Then I got an email saying the chair was actually on backorder and would be delayed... okay, fine... and then they randomly cancelled my order without telling me and blamed it on my credit card being declined, which is bullshit because I didn't even pay with a credit card.  I paid with PayPal, and I had plenty of money in my account to cover the balance, but thankfully they didn't charge me.  I tried to just place a new order, but now all the chairs they're advertising, including the one I wanted, are conveniently out of stock.  I contacted Customer Service like two weeks ago and never got a reply, so Office Depot's on my shit list now.  I thought I'd buy a chair from their competitor, Staples, but most of their chairs are out of stock too.  I guess everyone decided they needed a new chair now that they're working from home, and chair manufacturers must be considered non-essential.  Oh well.

I'm just really glad my desktop computer survived online learning.  It's like 9 years old, super slow, and makes odd noises... I just know it's going to die on me one of these days, but I can't quite bring myself to buy a new one yet.  I mostly write on my Chromebook and only use the desktop for making graphics and stuff like that.  If we don't go back to in-person learning in the fall, I will probably bite the bullet and get a new one.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2020, 03:47:50 AM »

Oh, that could be it. My show isn’t until September 11th, so if they are going in order, that would make sense. Thanks Steph!

I haven’t spent money on anything since this pandemic. The only thing I have bought were a few books with gift cards. That seems to be the only thing I ever really buy for myself these days without feeling guilty.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2020, 08:04:01 AM »

I go through phases.  I did spend $130 on the Backstreet Boys store about a month ago, which I would normally never do.  Happy birthday to me!  I also bought a couple of quarantine-themed sweatshirts on Amazon to commemorate the occasion.  Otherwise, I've probably shopped a lot less, online or otherwise, than I normally would.  I didn't buy any spring clothes because I have basically been living in loungewear, so that saved me some money.  I haven't been to Target in over two months, which is huge.  I tend to be the "go to Target for one thing and end up spending $100 after wandering through every aisle and buying a bunch of stuff I don't need just because it's cute" type of shopper, so my debit card is happy to get a break.  I still buy stuff on Amazon, but not any more than usual.

Then there's the fact that stuff I really could use is out of stock.  I saw an Office Depot ad on Twitter a few weeks ago for office chairs under $100, and my office chair at home is literally falling apart - the fake leather is peeling off, and I'm always having to re-adjust the height because it randomly sinks down - so I actually clicked on the ad, found a chair I liked for a good price, and ordered it.  Then I got an email saying the chair was actually on backorder and would be delayed... okay, fine... and then they randomly cancelled my order without telling me and blamed it on my credit card being declined, which is bullshit because I didn't even pay with a credit card.  I paid with PayPal, and I had plenty of money in my account to cover the balance, but thankfully they didn't charge me.  I tried to just place a new order, but now all the chairs they're advertising, including the one I wanted, are conveniently out of stock.  I contacted Customer Service like two weeks ago and never got a reply, so Office Depot's on my shit list now.  I thought I'd buy a chair from their competitor, Staples, but most of their chairs are out of stock too.  I guess everyone decided they needed a new chair now that they're working from home, and chair manufacturers must be considered non-essential.  Oh well.

I'm just really glad my desktop computer survived online learning.  It's like 9 years old, super slow, and makes odd noises... I just know it's going to die on me one of these days, but I can't quite bring myself to buy a new one yet.  I mostly write on my Chromebook and only use the desktop for making graphics and stuff like that.  If we don't go back to in-person learning in the fall, I will probably bite the bullet and get a new one.

While I've always been a homebody I've been getting things for my desk that I've put off forever. Because on my downtime that's more or less where I am, on my computer writing, or simming, or watching random YouTube videos. These days I do write primarily on my chromebook but if I need to make graphics or upload videos for something I'd switch over to my desktop. I got a new desk chair cause mine finally wore out and after that came in I find I'm using my desktop more too just because it's comfortable. Target still has some nice ones if you need a new chair. Mine's a serta brand one. Bought a new desk lamp and a cushioned mouse pad too LOL. I could use a new desk as I got the one I have currently when I moved into my apartment 5 years ago, I was broke at the time so I got a cheap one LOL. But I'm being picky and haven't found one I liked yet.

I noticed at work anything tech related has basically sold out. Everyone realized they weren't prepared to work from home and ran out to buy things. Amazon has been a god send too. The day after Nevada shut down, one of my pantry shelves broke. Maintenance at my complex is really awesome normally but due to the shutdown they were only doing essential repairs like A/C or plumbing, so that was out. I ended up buying this rolling shelf that's made to fit that weird space between your fridge and counter and it created a lot of new space and helped me reorganize the kitchen LOL.

I'm doing crazy hours right now, plenty of OT but nowhere to go so I'm buying nonessential luxuries I brushed off before this cause I wanted to go on trips instead basically LOL. I mean I did just buy two things from the BSB store though cause of the sale and cause I decided what the hell haha. My stimulus check is basically sitting in my savings, probably till next year when the DNA tour comes back.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:05:40 AM by Rose »
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2020, 06:01:12 AM »

I've not bought much since lockdown, apart from essentials and a couple of new tops online.  My husband however has decided to learn to play the guitar! So he's bought all the equipment and is constantly on YouTube learning.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »

That's awesome!  Good for him.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23