Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Quarantine check in  (Read 86884 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Quarantine check in
« Reply #300 on: July 06, 2020, 06:31:19 AM »

Things are continuing to reopen here in NY although cases as a whole are going up in the USA. If I was a guessing woman, I’d say in about a month we’ll all be back to square one because we have the worst and stupidest people here.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #301 on: July 06, 2020, 12:42:28 PM »

Steph, I'm glad to hear they're lifting a lot of the restrictions there!  I just looked at the UK's stats, and the numbers for your entire country look a lot like the numbers for just my state. *facepalm*  The UK is a smaller country than the US, but our cases as a country are out of control.  If Trump had a conscience or an ounce of common sense and wasn't worried about his reelection, I'm sure we would shut down again.  I feel the same way, Mare - things are still looking okay here in Illinois, but with so many other states going up, I'm worried we will have another wave hit before school starts in the fall.  We really do have the worst and stupidest people in the world.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #302 on: July 06, 2020, 02:44:30 PM »

Oh no, that's so awful to hear that parts of America are still really high.  I hope it can be brought under control soon, doesn't help with useless government I suppose though.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #303 on: July 06, 2020, 02:53:37 PM »

We have the most cases in the world, by far.  It's embarrassing.  We were trending downward at the beginning of June, but we went right back up when states started reopening, and now it's the worst it's been.  NgVuLVT9c3NMwy Sk6OL8zJecTYxM gt8PLHPWGpyklr Tl5jLOYS901NyU zOzEt1ySxOTSxO 9clPTizJzM8T0u Nic80rySypFFLh EpRCNUeDQYqfC1 VISIOLA65XhotX ilM_V9_AMtm83A CompsLweXZxcTt kZqYU5IRXJJYUr yIVcw5vyg_L7Es s6i0WKEYKJZZXJ KZXAwAMgsWrL4A AAA" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://www.google.com/search?q=us+covid-19&oq=us+covid-19&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.4023j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#wptab=s:H4sIAAAAAAAAAO NgVuLVT9c3NMwy Sk6OL8zJecTYxM gt8PLHPWGpyklr Tl5jLOYS901NyU zOzEt1ySxOTSxO 9clPTizJzM8T0u Nic80rySypFFLh EpRCNUeDQYqfC1 VISIOLA65XhotX ilM_V9_AMtm83A CompsLweXZxcTt kZqYU5IRXJJYUr yIVcw5vyg_L7Es s6i0WKEYKJZZXJ KZXAwAMgsWrL4A AAA

Not every state looks that way; most of the ones that shut down early and delayed reopening did manage to flatten the curve, but the states that reopened early (mostly the South) are causing a resurgence that I worry will spread into the states that seem to have it under control.  I think Mare said this a couple weeks ago, but I wish the states would all close their borders to keep it contained.  I can only imagine the complaining that would happen if they did, but it would be better than all states having to shut down again because of others' stupidity.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #304 on: July 06, 2020, 03:01:15 PM »

Yes, it would be better if all states closed their borders and the ones worst off go into lockdown.

We are the worst in Europe, well England is, the rest of the UK have much lower death rates.  But now that the whole of the UK are able to travel between countries again, we will have to see what happens here. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »

Well, the school districts have started releasing their plans for fall.  My district is doing a blended learning model.  Half the students will come to school on Monday, Wednesday, and every other Friday.  The other half will come Tuesday, Thursday, and opposite Fridays.  The days they're not at school, they'll learn at home.  The school day will also be shortened by half an hour to allow extra time for cleaning and planning.  The district is going to reassess the situation every 9 weeks, and families also have the option to have their child do full online learning from home if they choose to.

I feel okay about this plan as of right now.  Only having half the class at a time will make it a lot easier to social distance, and I'm actually looking forward to having such a small class size for once!  I'm used to having 26-27 kids in a class, and now it will only be 13 or so at a time.  I'm happy to be able to start the year off with some face-to-face interaction and be able to see my kids in person at least a couple times a week.  It will also make it easier to transition to either all remote learning if things get worse or full, five-day in person learning when things get better.

On the flip side, my head is spinning thinking about all the new procedures there will be to teach, enforce, and build in time for, like frequent handwashing breaks, sanitizing hands every time we come into the classroom, disinfecting everything in the room, and so on.  The kids won't be able to share supplies at all, so I'll have to put away the extras I usually keep out for them to borrow as needed.  I'll probably have to get rid of the comfy pillows I keep in my reading corner so they're not spreading germs that way.  I'll have to come up with a plan to quarantine books from the classroom library between uses.  Bathroom breaks will need to be coordinated with the other classrooms in my hallway so we're not all trying to go at the same time.  I still have to figure out how I'm going to arrange the desks so the kids are sitting 6 feet apart.  Actual teaching and learning will come second to all these safety considerations .

I also feel for parents who work full time and are now trying to figure out what they'll do with their kids who are going to be home 2-3 days a week.  Hopefully most employers will be flexible with schedules, considering the circumstances, because not every job can be done from home.  Of course, I already saw lots of complaints from parents who would prefer the kids come back five days a week for their convenience, but their health and safety should come first.  I feel safer knowing they'll be able to spread out more and cut the number of other kids they come into contact with in half.

I'm just glad I live in an area where the virus is somewhat contained.  We do have cases, but not many cases compared to a lot of other areas.  If I lived in a state like Florida or Texas, I would be freaking out at the thought of going back to work.  But I feel like my district really does have the staff and students' best interests at heart and has come up with the best plan possible under these circumstances.

Anyone else know what their local school districts are doing?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #306 on: March 09, 2021, 06:58:03 PM »

Wow, no one has posted in this thread since summer.  As it's now the one-year anniversary of our "last normal week," I just had to come in and say something.  My school district went back to full, in-person instruction five days a week yesterday.  I have mixed feelings about it, but the first two days went well.  It has been nice to see both halves of the class that I've been teaching on different days all year finally together as one.  We still have every safety guideline in place except six feet of social distance, which just isn't physically possible with twenty-five kids in a classroom.  But at least it's another sign that things are starting to go back to normal.  Also, I finally get my first dose of the vaccine on Thursday!

I hope everyone else is doing okay!  Hang in there!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #307 on: March 09, 2021, 08:01:41 PM »

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of me getting a "weird unexplainable fever," then going to the doctor the next day, then going to a drive through testing site, then waiting a million years for results, and entering the ghost town of a world a week and a half later. I'm looking forward to celebrating it. ;) Thursday is my second dose.

I'm glad all your kids are back, but I'd be a little wary of sending them all back before all the teachers are vaccinated. That being said, in-person is so much better for them! I'm glad the first two days have gone well. I hope you're in good spirits through the transition and glad that you get your first dose on Thursday!

I wasn't here for the initial check-in, but I hope everyone is doing okay and hanging in there too.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2021, 08:30:53 PM »

I’m glad things are starting to get back to normal somewhat although, it must be weird for the kids to finally be back together all day everyday for two months and then summer. I feel like they should’ve just left it as is until the end of the year. It’s too soon to have that many kids at one place from isolation. Almost a sensory overload!

I’m glad you guys are getting vaccinated. There are no appointments open by me. The closest is Syracuse and that’s a no lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2021, 08:59:44 PM »

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of me getting a "weird unexplainable fever," then going to the doctor the next day, then going to a drive through testing site, then waiting a million years for results, and entering the ghost town of a world a week and a half later. I'm looking forward to celebrating it. ;) Thursday is my second dose.

I'm glad all your kids are back, but I'd be a little wary of sending them all back before all the teachers are vaccinated. That being said, in-person is so much better for them! I'm glad the first two days have gone well. I hope you're in good spirits through the transition and glad that you get your first dose on Thursday!

I wasn't here for the initial check-in, but I hope everyone is doing okay and hanging in there too.

Wow, so you had it early!  I never got it, as far as I know.  If I did, I didn't have any symptoms.  Hopefully I can keep the streak going for the next month until I'm fully vaccinated. *knocks on wood*  Congrats on getting your second dose soon!

Yeah, that was my thought too.  I would have rather just waited until the start of next school year instead of changing the routine the kids have gotten into, but of course most parents wanted them to go back to five days a week, and apparently a majority of the teachers in our union were in favor of it too.  The cases in my area have been trending downward for awhile, and many of the other school districts have been in person five days a week without any major outbreaks, so hopefully it'll be okay.

I have a student teacher this year, and I'm happy for her that she will get a couple months of a more normal teaching experience.  There were so few behavior problems with only a dozen kids at a time that I was worried she wouldn't get enough practice with that aspect of classroom management.  I think she'll have more opportunities now that we have a normal class size LOL.

Hang in there, Mare.  I was frustrated by the lack of appointments and general lack of organization in my area, but I think it will get better as more people get vaccinated and the demand goes down.  It seems like the problem is not enough people to give the vaccine, rather than a shortage of doses.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2021, 09:17:56 PM »

I’m glad things are starting to get back to normal somewhat although, it must be weird for the kids to finally be back together all day everyday for two months and then summer. I feel like they should’ve just left it as is until the end of the year. It’s too soon to have that many kids at one place from isolation. Almost a sensory overload!

I’m glad you guys are getting vaccinated. There are no appointments open by me. The closest is Syracuse and that’s a no lol

There's so many districts talking about going later or starting early, so what is summer at this point? It's probably so weird going back from learning at home to surrounded by other kids, but I think so many of them have been craving normal peer interaction, they might not care about the sensory overload. The teachers on the the other hand...

Oh yeah, the drive from Syracuse to Buffalo is not particularly fun! I've now spent a ridiculous amount of my time in Syracuse that I never thought I would, haha. Hopefully you can get one soon, Mare!

Wow, so you had it early!  I never got it, as far as I know.  If I did, I didn't have any symptoms.  Hopefully I can keep the streak going for the next month until I'm fully vaccinated. *knocks on wood*  Congrats on getting your second dose soon!

You know, after all that, my results actually came back negative! haha Sending you good vibes for keeping the streak alive!

Yeah, that was my thought too.  I would have rather just waited until the start of next school year instead of changing the routine the kids have gotten into, but of course most parents wanted them to go back to five days a week, and apparently a majority of the teachers in our union were in favor of it too.  The cases in my area have been trending downward for awhile, and many of the other school districts have been in person five days a week without any major outbreaks, so hopefully it'll be okay.

I have a student teacher this year, and I'm happy for her that she will get a couple months of a more normal teaching experience.  There were so few behavior problems with only a dozen kids at a time that I was worried she wouldn't get enough practice with that aspect of classroom management.  I think she'll have more opportunities now that we have a normal class size LOL.

That's good that your area is trending downward! I think it will feel safer and safer as time goes, especially once you have your two doses in. :)

One of my friends is student teaching this year too. What a strange year to student teach in! I'm glad she'll get a more normal experience and a chance to practice all her classroom management skills, since behavior incidents are a big one!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #311 on: March 09, 2021, 09:26:53 PM »

There's so many districts talking about going later or starting early, so what is summer at this point? It's probably so weird going back from learning at home to surrounded by other kids, but I think so many of them have been craving normal peer interaction, they might not care about the sensory overload. The teachers on the the other hand...

Yeah, yesterday felt like the first day of school all over again!  Same kids I've had all year, but we did so much icebreaker stuff to help the two groups get to know each other and organizational/procedural stuff because they are finally allowed to put stuff in their desks and lockers now.  (Before they had to share a desk with a student who came on the opposite days, so they couldn't store their stuff in it.)  I was exhausted by the end of the day!  But the kids are definitely excited to see their friends from the other group that they haven't really seen all year.

Thankfully, we are not adjusting our summer schedule at all.  We are offering summer school, but I will not be teaching that.  Summer vacation is sacred. LOL

You know, after all that, my results actually came back negative! haha Sending you good vibes for keeping the streak alive!

Oh, well that's good!

One of my friends is student teaching this year too. What a strange year to student teach in! I'm glad she'll get a more normal experience and a chance to practice all her classroom management skills, since behavior incidents are a big one!

If nothing else, these new teachers will be flexible and able to adapt to anything!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #312 on: March 09, 2021, 09:47:32 PM »

Yeah, yesterday felt like the first day of school all over again!  Same kids I've had all year, but we did so much icebreaker stuff to help the two groups get to know each other and organizational/procedural stuff because they are finally allowed to put stuff in their desks and lockers now.  (Before they had to share a desk with a student who came on the opposite days, so they couldn't store their stuff in it.)  I was exhausted by the end of the day!  But the kids are definitely excited to see their friends from the other group that they haven't really seen all year.

Thankfully, we are not adjusting our summer schedule at all.  We are offering summer school, but I will not be teaching that.  Summer vacation is sacred. LOL

If nothing else, these new teachers will be flexible and able to adapt to anything!

What a strange turn of events! "First day of school" in March! I'm happy they can have their own permanent space again even if it took some procedural time. I'm surprised you were so chatty here after a day like that!

I'm glad you still get your sacred writing (and hopefully concert) summer. :D

Yes! Having the practice with the flexibility and creativity will be a great repertoire addition!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2021, 10:03:57 PM »

Also, I finally get my first dose of the vaccine on Thursday!

How are you feeling after your first dose?!

Dose two is going okay so far, just a sore arm. I'm trying to preemptively edit next week's update just in case, even though I wouldn't normally edit two weeks' worth of updates back to back.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #314 on: March 12, 2021, 10:17:04 PM »

I'm good!  I didn't feel any different yesterday, but woke up with the sore arm this morning.  It's still a little tender, but not too bad.  I haven't had any other side effects.  I'm glad it hasn't been bad for you either.  Yay second dose!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23