Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146150 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2021, 03:23:11 PM »

LMAO so I mean as much as we torture Nick, it was inevitable I ended up thinking we should create a story where he dies in every chapter.

God I love rereading these 00Carter memories. That story isn't perfect but I'm still proud of how we made a LOT of random off the wall ideas come together and make sense LOL.

Inevitable indeed. I'm surprised it took so long to be honest!

Same. That's why I said, I may be inclined to do it again if we all live read/reacted together (because what better way to get going again while I catch up/remember details) and with the right contribution parameters because:

I miss collaborating, honestly. It kept me in check and made it easier to not lose inspiration.

is not something I can claim in good conscience. But, I did enjoy it when I had the inspiration for contributing. And I have missed the teamwork aspect. So I could see myself being able to commit to an episode a month? Maybe two in certain months? And I would feel better if we hoarded for a second and then posted. That way if life happens, there's still things to post.

But again, this is all details that could be discussed at a later date.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:44:04 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »

Sounds like you were the early bird this time around!  Weird!  I went to bed at 3 a.m, didn't fall asleep until after 4, and slept till 11:30 LOL.  It's gonna be rough going back to work on Wednesday, but whatever.

I caught the 00Carter mention and loved it.

That was me at the same exact times as you, but MTN timezone version (so an hour ahead). Except I had to be up at 6am no matter what. Did we have the same weekend, Julie? Haha It was rough going back today.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2021, 03:45:23 PM »

While I'm thinking about this... Camp NaNo Writing group... Should it be named "The Backstreet Project" or something related to AC?
~*Dee*~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2021, 07:44:06 PM »

I'm here for it!  I know we've kinda talked about it but didn't jump right back on board, but I'm in.  It's never died for me either.

Yes please! I love my Secret Agent Nick. He was fun.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2021, 08:01:21 PM »

Now that we're at eleven pages, I thought it might be nice to have a post with a summary of the questions so far so that anyone else can jump in without having to read through Julie and I back and forthing at each other to find the questions, though I enjoyed every second of this thread and it's worth the read if you want to see other thoughts on them.

1. How has your writing changed over the years?

2. Is there something you wrote that you wish you hadn't? Is there something you never finished, but wished you had? Is there a genre you've always wanted to try?

3. What's most motivating for you? How do you keep the motivation going? What do you do when the motivation wanes (any particular rituals)? What does your inspiration station look like? (e.g., desk, location in your home, not your home at all, etcetera)

4. What are everyone else's rabbit holes? Either in general or a particularly memorable one from the past?

5. Does anyone have any writing-related resolutions this year?

6. So what do you do if you're feeling motivated to write and/or edit, but your brain is just spent on staring at your computer or red/green walls of edits. Do you keep going because you're feeling inspired? Do you take a short recess then come back? In general when you're inspired to write, do you keep going as long as inspiration strikes or do you set yourself time limits? Has that changed at all since quarantining and stay at home orders have happened (increased or decreased)?

7. On the reverse, if you're in an "open/stare/close" mood, how long do you stare before you close? Do you leave it on in the background while you do something else or is a permanent close for the day? How many times a day would you open a document?

8. Where do you fall on the planning scale? Do you have everything planned before you write a single word? (planning) Do you just start writing and let the muses takes you? (pantsing) Are you some combination of the two? (plantsing)

9. If you're writing away perfectly contentedly and a great idea pops up for far down the line, what do you do to keep it at bay? Would you drop everything to write it? If you have an outline, do you ever go back and change it or are you very rigid about it? Same with characters?

10. What do you finalize first? Characters or plot?

Questions asked in the context of a conversation that can be answered by all:

1. Do you find it hard to keep perspectives balanced? And do they tend to lean toward anyone in particular in any of your writing?

2. It seems like you've run the gambit on challenging yourself with your writing. What was your favorite challenge to yourself? What was your least favorite? Is there something you haven't tried yet that you wanted to try?

3. Can leg choppage be in a YA novel? What pushes it out of YA rating?

4. How do you un-BSB [a fanfic] enough [to publish without getting sued] but not too much that it's an entirely different story?

5. I wonder how many other things [The Boys have] done that are more fanfic of them? eg. renting the house in London while working on IAWLT.

Off-topic Questions:

1. Y'all and Twitter, am I missing out?

2. Camp NaNo Writing group... Should it be named "The Backstreet Project" or something related to AC?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2021, 08:01:26 PM »

So I could see myself being able to commit to an episode a month? Maybe two in certain months? And I would feel better if we hoarded for a second and then posted. That way if life happens, there's still things to post.

But again, this is all details that could be discussed at a later date.

LOL Considering we were averaging an episode a year for the last few years we updated it, an episode a month seems ambitious.  I'm okay starting slow and seeing what we can accomplish.  I definitely agree with hoarding at first too.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2021, 08:03:03 PM »

3. Can leg choppage be in a YA novel? What pushes it out of YA rating?

I love that you included this one in your list! LMAO
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2021, 08:03:44 PM »

While I'm thinking about this... Camp NaNo Writing group... Should it be named "The Backstreet Project" or something related to AC?

Sure, either!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »

LOL Considering we were averaging an episode a year for the last few years we updated it, an episode a month seems ambitious.  I'm okay starting slow and seeing what we can accomplish.  I definitely agree with hoarding at first too.

I can't remember how long they were, maybe that was ambitious of me! I take it back, let's commit to at least one episode and see how it goes?
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2021, 08:08:31 PM »

I love that you included this one in your list! LMAO

It's open-ended enough to be debated and gives everyone jumping to the end a reason to go back and read the rest. How did they end up discussing where leg choppage falls in age bracket writing?

Sure, either!

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Perhaps "The Absolutely Chaotic Backstreet Project" is the happy medium. I just love a good reference joke, as I've mentioned.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »

A question for today!

Yesterday, I got inspired on a lot of different things while writing an AJ focused chapter. I don't want to say it's because AJ is boring so I was thinking about other things, because back in the before times when I was initially writing PBox, he helped put demons powers into perspective for me (which you can read about on Wednesday).

All that being said, are any of the Boys your muse? Do any of them in particular lead you to new and great ideas? What kinds of ideas? (generalizing is fine!)
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2021, 08:26:04 PM »

I can't remember how long they were, maybe that was ambitious of me! I take it back, let's commit to at least one episode and see how it goes?

They got a lot longer over time as our ideas got more elaborate.  My writing speed has also gotten a lot slower LOL.  But the biggest reason for the long delays between episodes was just waiting for people to finish their parts.  With three committed, hopefully inspired writers, that should go faster.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2021, 08:29:57 PM »

They got a lot longer over time as our ideas got more elaborate.  My writing speed has also gotten a lot slower LOL.  But the biggest reason for the long delays between episodes was just waiting for people to finish their parts.  With three committed, hopefully inspired writers, that should go faster.

I also write slower, especially with you all distracting me, haha. I feel like there used to be a lot of parts per episode, so I guess my concern would be parts per person out of total scenes in an episode. But, like I said, without rereading it first, I think I'm getting ahead of myself.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2021, 08:36:47 PM »

All that being said, are any of the Boys your muse? Do any of them in particular lead you to new and great ideas? What kinds of ideas? (generalizing is fine!)

I would not call any of the Boys my muse, per se, but I seem to come up with the most ideas (or maybe just the best ideas) about Nick.  So I guess there is something about him that inspires me.  There's a lot to explore with Nick, when you look at how he grew up and how he's turned out.  Even though he's straightened himself out in real life, he still seems to attract more trouble and drama than the other guys, so it's easy to imagine him in fictional situations that would be less believable for most of the other boys to be involved in.  For example, I have a couple of ideas that were inspired by the sexual abuse allegations Melissa Schuman made against him.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2021, 08:44:16 PM »

I also write slower, especially with you all distracting me, haha. I feel like there used to be a lot of parts per episode, so I guess my concern would be parts per person out of total scenes in an episode. But, like I said, without rereading it first, I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Yeah, I think we just need to go into it without any big expectations and the understanding that we're all adults with real life responsibiliti es and other projects that we also want to make time for.  I think what allowed Rose and me to finally finish Song for the Undead, even though it took us like 7 years, was that we were more patient with each other than we were with 00Carter.  We started off strong with Undead, but then real life got in the way for both of us, and we slowed down.  We both wrote other stories in the meantime, but we kept coming back to Undead with the understanding that we were going to finish it eventually.  If we have the same mindset for 00Carter, I think it will help.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50