Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146268 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2021, 01:59:08 PM »

I never liked the network TV adapted ones, though I for sure watched the Grease live one for Aaron Tviet. Not Julianne Hough though, she's the worst.

MTV broadcasted Legally Blonde once up on a time and I believe it was up on you tube at one point, so the quality is fairly good.

As far as movies of the musicals go, the 2007 Hairspray holds up to the Ricki Lake version, I think.

I've watched just about all the live TV musicals they've done in the last few years, and the only one I thought was really good was Jesus Christ Superstar with John Legend.  I ended up buying the music from that, and I like it better than the original Broadway cast recording because it sounds more modern.

As far as movie versions of musicals go, my favorite is probably Grease.  But I've actually never seen Grease live on stage, unless you count the TV one they did with Vanessa Hudgens a few years ago.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2021, 02:46:13 PM »

He was awesome! Even though someone threw up on my jacket lol

You have the worst luck!  I'm glad you got to see Kevin in Chicago though.  I wish I could have seen that!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2021, 02:47:51 PM »

Chances is always a distraction, but I walked down the aisle to it, so it's for multiple reasons (good song, wedding memories, feelings about my husband, feelings about the Boys, etcetera).

That is so cute!!  I love that.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2021, 03:19:27 PM »

I agree about Jesus Christ Superstar. I have skipped pretty much all the other NBC live musicals. I watched Peter Pan but wasn’t really impressed. I think I’m the only person on the planet that’s not a huge fan of Grease. Maybe it’s ptsd from not even getting into the chorus of it in my high school production because my drama teacher thought I was too fat to be a lead or any of the dancing. lol what a jerk he was.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »

Aww, that's terrible! :(
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2021, 05:15:02 PM »

I've watched just about all the live TV musicals they've done in the last few years, and the only one I thought was really good was Jesus Christ Superstar with John Legend.  I ended up buying the music from that, and I like it better than the original Broadway cast recording because it sounds more modern.

As far as movie versions of musicals go, my favorite is probably Grease.  But I've actually never seen Grease live on stage, unless you count the TV one they did with Vanessa Hudgens a few years ago.

Yo, that's because Jesus Christ Superstar slaps. My family was very into musicals when I was a child, like I have distinct memories of listening to "Red and Black" on our record player. The first live musical I ever went to was the touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar and it was mesmerizing. The second was Fiddler on the Roof... and I hated it so much. Now I know that it's great, heartfelt, and clever, but Andrew Lloyd Webber definitely has all other musical geniuses beat in the spectacle department. That's probably why his are consistently popular years and years after their release.

I love Grease too. And the sequel, but for different reasons than the original. Mainly, the songs are great in a cheesy way.

OMG, speaking of Andrew Lloyd Webber, the Cats Movie. I went to one of the "chat along" showings at Alamo Drafthouse with some friends, all clad in cat ears because we loved the musical (and one friend loved the movie for the hilarity of it all). The people in front of us were so mad at us because we were just singing along, clapping for our favorite cats and they said "Don't clap at this movie." (because it's terrible was the implication more than noise, because they were also chatting during it.) And we basically told them, "Hate if you want, we're going to enjoy. We all came to the audible react-along version for a reason. If you wanted to only have your opinion heard out loud, then you should I have been that guy in a regular screening."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:45:07 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2021, 05:21:11 PM »

That is so cute!!  I love that.

It was very serendipitous that it came out during our engagement because I fell in love the minute I heard it, since we'd always said some similar things about our being able to meet. That and it just slaps. Had we gotten married before it came out, I would have still chosen a BSB song, and likely ALAYLM, AIHTG, or maybe SPTH... but the timing was perfect! What are the chances BSB knew I needed a song like that in my life right then? haha. They've been there for me through most of my life, so I don't think I could imagine picking anything else, to be honest.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2021, 05:25:47 PM »

I agree about Jesus Christ Superstar. I have skipped pretty much all the other NBC live musicals. I watched Peter Pan but wasn’t really impressed. I think I’m the only person on the planet that’s not a huge fan of Grease. Maybe it’s ptsd from not even getting into the chorus of it in my high school production because my drama teacher thought I was too fat to be a lead or any of the dancing. lol what a jerk he was.

Ugh, I hate people like that, but especially people who have jobs in helping professions (e.g., teachers, counselors, etcetera). Like in no way should you let your biases affect your students!

You're my shining star, Mare. (but not in the same exact way as the BSB song, just want you to know... I'll see myself out.)
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2021, 05:41:36 PM »

OMG, now my inspiration station is complete with my cup of morning coffee. My inlaws were asking my husband what I wanted for Christmas and he said "a private Backstreet Boys performance" as this was deep in the Masked Singer season at the time. I just received this today (https://ibb.co/KjrGFQh and https://ibb.co/7Vg0250)! Their hair and the jackets! This pleases me very nostalgically. I for sure had this picture on my wall and loved it even though their style game was not on point.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:44:05 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2021, 07:31:15 PM »

Love the mug!  So cute!

The timing of Chances worked out perfectly!  It was the same for me; it came out a days before my grandpa passed away, so it was the only bright spot in an otherwise really bad week.  Thank you, Boys.

So did you like the Cats movie?  I have never seen Cats (movie or stage production), but the trailer was creepy LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2021, 08:11:53 PM »

Love the mug!  So cute!

The timing of Chances worked out perfectly!  It was the same for me; it came out a days before my grandpa passed away, so it was the only bright spot in an otherwise really bad week.  Thank you, Boys.

So did you like the Cats movie?  I have never seen Cats (movie or stage production), but the trailer was creepy LOL.

I laughed when I opened it, which was probably not the intention. But still all smiles.

Sorry for your loss. :( The Boys know how to time those bright spots for sure.

It was bad in a good way? Definitely worse than the musical, but I think that's because it tried to take itself so seriously. Half the joy of the musical is its narm charm. The only numbers where it felt like everyone in it was enjoying themselves were "Skimbleshanks: the Railway Cat" and "Mr. Mistoffelees" (which come right after each other and not until the end of the second act). If the rest of the movie had been like that, then it would have been fine. And the CGI was just creepy (CGI cockroaches with CGI people heads being eaten by Rebel Wilson with a CGI cat body), but I've already mentioned how much I hate weird CGI, so I'll leave it at that. Seriously though, the costumes and makeup from the stage show would have been fine! I also hated that the character Taylor Swift played is in the musical more, but is just this one weird showstopper number for her in the movie that paints her as a baddie when the cat in the musical is just a regular member of the jellicle cat company who happens to narrate that song (unlike "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer" who are in cahoots with Macavity and just get turned into fanboy/fangirl side characters in the movie). And they cut the most narm charm song from the first act ("The Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles") and I think keeping it in would have kept the feel of the musical consistent. The Oscar bait song was only okay, which is not what you want in the movie version of a musical. (Though I felt the same way about "Suddenly" in Les Mis, but for different reasons. The music for that is unreal, because all the characters have these "theme" music pieces that are very simple, but then you realize they have to be simple to all come together into the layered perfection of "One Day More," and then on top of that, they all get dark reprise versions in the Second Act. So "Suddenly" just feels out of place in this interwoven web of music.)

All that said, it is still funny, though not in the way it's supposed to be. So if you're into Sharknado type things, it's worth watching while wearing cat ears. But maybe only after you've (re)watched the PBS concert version or something unless the original sticks out in your mind.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2021, 08:50:05 PM »

Oh, I was reading an article earlier this evening during the Heisman Ceremony "7 Writing Lessons Learned in 2020" by K.M. Weiland. It really resonated with me. Anyone learn any lessons this year that stick out? I found myself nodding along with most of it. Inspiration was probably the big one for me. Like once I gave into the smallest inspiration, I suddenly went from writing 0 words a year (ho hum emails do not count, obviously) to writing thousands in a few months. I also think that keeping my writing as my little project for a few months really helped rebolster my confidence that I actually had a story to tell and not just some things to get out of my head.

I also really appreciated that she said "The fact that [being willing not to write] scares the spit out of me tells me it's probably exactly the right step forward." I think not writing and coming back has given me an appreciation for it that I didn't used to have when it was just "something I always did."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:37:26 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2021, 09:25:03 PM »

I love musicals. A year ago next month, I got to see Beetlejuice on Broadway literally right before Covid shut everything down. I was five rows from the stage, center orchestra. Amazing seats. That show is so good. I loved it.. Only other Broadway show I got to see was Anastasia during its previews on Broadway. I'm very fortunate that I can just jump on a train and go. I miss it. Unfortunately it's still shut down.

As for Julie's question about Spotify. I have a 900 song playlist that I just listen to nightly. It's got everything from punk music to Broadway show tunes on it.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2021, 09:42:59 PM »

Only other Broadway show I got to see was Anastasia during its previews on Broadway.

I loved Anastasia! Like, don't get me wrong, I love me some half dead Raputin and the singing bugs ("Doom her!"), but I adored the added creepiness of the second suitor and the Bolsheviks. The history nerd in me was obsessed.

A year ago next month, I got to see Beetlejuice on Broadway literally right before Covid shut everything down.

The last thing I did was go to Miami and it was unreal coming back and then, poof. Covid. What a weird world.  ;D (I'll keep making song puns as long as y'all don't notice, ha)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:55:51 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2021, 10:24:52 PM »

I was so sad they cut out Rasputin and Bartok from the play. It was really good even with the changes but In The Dark Of The Night is like one of my favorite scenes from that whole movie
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50