Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146194 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2021, 11:27:03 PM »

In terms of music being inspiring, I absolutely have a playlist of songs that I have for every story I ever write. Basically I make soundtracks for my stories. Sometimes it's the melody, other times it's the lyrics. I noticed I have an Eminem tendency with my angst stories LOL.

THE story I've written? Probably Remember Me This Way. It was my most popular though I think Song For The Undead has gome to define me too but I'm okay with both. I've written and finished other stories but those showcase in many ways both sides of me and so it's not a bad thing.

Eminem is pretty angsty for sharing initials with a candy!

Okay, RMTW it's on my to read list, I swear.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2021, 11:27:45 PM »

New Orleans is definitely on my bucket list of places to go.

I love California. I'm originally from there, I have so much of my family there, it's my second home. I'm definitely glad I did so much last year. I went to I think 5 BSB shows just in April for the last month of the residency. Did AJ's bowling event, did Nick's mini show, the LA trip with Julie and later on went to Chicago for DNA. The last live show I saw was actually Zombie Burlesque with one of my coworkers back in February and I'm so glad I did.

When it's safe for things again, honestly I'm going balls to the wall. You only live once lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »

Why is a guest printing my old PBox update thread? There is little in there that is interesting outside of "Please read this" every three to six months.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2021, 11:28:42 PM »

Eminem is pretty angsty for sharing initials with a candy!

Okay, RMTW it's on my to read list, I swear.

Just keep in mind I wrote it in 2010-2012 so, Kevin wasn't back yet lol.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2021, 11:29:48 PM »

New Orleans is definitely on my bucket list of places to go.

I love California. I'm originally from there, I have so much of my family there, it's my second home. I'm definitely glad I did so much last year. I went to I think 5 BSB shows just in April for the last month of the residency. Did AJ's bowling event, did Nick's mini show, the LA trip with Julie and later on went to Chicago for DNA. The last live show I saw was actually Zombie Burlesque with one of my coworkers back in February and I'm so glad I did.

When it's safe for things again, honestly I'm going balls to the wall. You only live once lol.

Same and yes.

OMG, a Zombie Burlesque show? I feel like I need more details on this!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2021, 11:30:51 PM »

Just keep in mind I wrote it in 2010-2012 so, Kevin wasn't back yet lol.

I love me some Nick&Kevin, but it's cool, won't turn me off of it.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2021, 11:31:06 PM »

Unless the setting is like a weirdness anomaly magnet (like Gravity Falls if anyone else appreciates a well written children's show, haha), then all bets are off just based on location.

Also I see you saying that, but if Nick can be rule #34 of the Backstreet Boys, then collectively the Boys can be "if it could happen, it will happen." Is that a rule on the internet?

LOL I dunno, but it should be!  Maybe it can be Rule #35.

In one of my volunteer groups, our motto has been "Creativity and Flexibility" this year, and I think that's a perfect motto to stretch into the rest of my life, especially when you're looking at other people. Like everyone has lots of things going on that they might not even talk about, you know? If nothing else, I hope everyone comes out of all this a little kinder to each other.

That's a great motto!  For teaching as well as writing and just existing in general.  We've all had to be creative and flexible in the last year just to adjust to how much life changed in such a short time.  I hope people will be kinder to each other this year too.  Not to get political, but I've never seen our country so divided.  I hope having a different leader will eventually help make the United States more united.

Sometimes I find myself adding fluff, but only if it focuses on character development. Like I would write a million chapters of "they argue, but at the end of the day, they're a true family by choice" if it seemed like one of those scenes fit in there. I'm feeling a little bad about the beginning of PNecklace because they don't really physically go lots of places like they did in PBox, but the character(s) are growing and changing a lot! So, who knows?

I do think character-driven stories need more scenes that could be considered "fluff" in a plot-driven story.  That stuff does help with character and relationship development.  All of my super long stories included romance; I wrote more fluff in my romances because it helped develop the characters' relationship.

There's another question for everyone. What's THE story for you that you've written? Are you defined by it and how have you felt about that?

I think it's either Broken or Curtain Call, which are similar stories in some respects.  Broken was the first "popular" story I wrote, in terms of how much feedback I got compared to what I had gotten for previous stories, and a lot of my online friendships started with that story.  But Curtain Call has the best stats of all my stories on AC, in terms of reviews and favorites.  I'm perfectly okay with being defined by either because they both represent who I am as a writer and what I like to write.  Curtain Call is the better of the two, so if I had to pick which one I'd rather be known for, I'd go with that one, but I will always have a soft spot for Broken.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:32:44 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2021, 11:37:21 PM »

THE story I've written? Probably Remember Me This Way. It was my most popular though I think Song For The Undead has gome to define me too but I'm okay with both. I've written and finished other stories but those showcase in many ways both sides of me and so it's not a bad thing.

I would agree with both of those.  As far as solo stories go, definitely RMTW!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:21 PM »

Why is a guest printing my old PBox update thread? There is little in there that is interesting outside of "Please read this" every three to six months.

I have seen "guests" supposedly printing random threads too.  It's just spambots.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:59 PM »

LOL I dunno, but it should be!  Maybe it can be Rule #35.

Do we have a list of the BSB fanfic rules, because it feels like we need to start one.

Not to get political, but I've never seen our country so divided.  I hope having a different leader will eventually help make the United States more united.

Same. I want to go back to a time when I could go weeks without thinking about a President.

I do think character-driven stories need more scenes that could be considered "fluff" in a plot-driven story.  That stuff does help with character and relationship development.  All of my super long stories included romance; I wrote more fluff in my romances because it helped develop the characters' relationship.

It's probably only bad if you let the fluff, smut, side stuff, etcetera overrun the plot. Then at that point, why are you writing a story and not just "one shots from xyz universe."

I can't say for sure since I'm only sort of familiar with half of them, but I enjoy that you both can't decide on one. It shows you're deep and multi-faceted.
~*Dee*~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:15 PM »

Same and yes.

It's at Planet Hollywood and absolutely hilarious. I wanted to go with Julie but each time she was in town basically we already were going to see BSB or our free nights there wasn't a show. It's a goal to see it again with her eventually. Highly recommend going, it was like 45 I think on GroupOn.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:24 PM »

Same and yes.

If we ever do a Vegas meetup, we must see the zombie burlesque show!  I've been out there 4 times now and still haven't seen it.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:38 PM »

I have seen "guests" supposedly printing random threads too.  It's just spambots.

I honestly didn't know you could print any of the threads. Spambots are so silly.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2021, 11:40:55 PM »

Do we have a list of the BSB fanfic rules, because it feels like we need to start one.

We definitely do!  That should be its own thread.  (And I will have to save that for another night because I really do need to go to bed LOL.)
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2021, 11:41:11 PM »

It's at Planet Hollywood and absolutely hilarious. I wanted to go with Julie but each time she was in town basically we already were going to see BSB or our free nights there wasn't a show. It's a goal to see it again with her eventually. Highly recommend going, it was like 45 I think on GroupOn.

If we ever do a Vegas meetup, we must see the zombie burlesque show!  I've been out there 4 times now and still haven't seen it.

I saw Thunder From Down Under. It's not quite the same, I imagine. And $45? That's pretty good for a show in Vegas!
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50