Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146192 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #345 on: January 09, 2021, 01:32:34 PM »

I agree with your take on Howie.  He's always been on the quieter side in interviews and doesn't reveal as much personal info as some of the other guys do.  I think it's harder to get to know the real Howie - not that we really know any of them, but hopefully you know what I mean.  Compare him to Nick and AJ, who have always been a lot more open.  Howie is more guarded, which may be smart on his part because look what has happened to people's perceptions of Brian.

I love the friendship Nick and Howie have developed.  They're so different from each other in many ways, but they complement each other well.  I've always felt the same way about AJ and Brian.

Related question for everyone:  What are your favorite pairings of Boys to write about and why?  This could be either slash or platonic or both, depending on what you write.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #346 on: January 09, 2021, 01:47:31 PM »

Now that we're over twenty pages, I thought I'd pop back in with the summary of the questions post. Please find them below.

The questions:

1. Are any of the Boys your muse? Do any of them in particular lead you to new and great ideas? What kinds of ideas? (generalizing is fine!)

2. What has been the weirdest or most random/obscure/unexpected source of inspiration for one of your story ideas?

3. What kind of music do you listen to on Spotify?

4. Anyone else interested in reflecting on "7 Writing Lessons Learned in 2020" by K.M. Weiland?

5. What's THE story for you that you've written? Are you defined by it and how have you felt about that?

6. What do you usually have the hardest time writing - the beginning, the middle, or the end?  How about the easiest?

7. Anyone else have any writing-related mementos they hang on to?

8. Has anyone else had luck resurrecting really old ideas or unfinished stories?

9. What's the most random note you ever wrote about and/or for a story?

10. Challenge for everyone: Go find some old physical writing thing you saved that's worth sharing!

11. Anyone else have a writing-related silver lining from Covid?

12. What you feel you are good at (writing strengths) and where you think you could improve (writing weaknesses)? If you responded to the original post, have your answers changed?

13. What are your favorite pairings of Boys to write about and why?

The planning process questions post:

1. When an idea strikes, what's the first thing you do?

2. Are there any things you consider integral to your planning process? For example, Julie mentioned earlier in the thread that she often makes a banner when she's in the planning stages.

3. If you use outlines, how faithful are you to outlines? How detailed are your outlines? If you write first and plan later, how do you keep track of your ideas? Anyone go between the two?

4. What's the easiest part of planning? The hardest?

5. How far into the planning process do you know that an idea is definitely something you'll finish writing? Or the opposite, when can you tell if it should be scrapped?

6. Are there any clear signs to you that you're fully invested in an idea, either early or late?

7. Do you have a specific point where you decide you'll post something or do you just post everything you write?

And if you didn't see Julie and I answer them, just click our names: Julie and Dee

Questions asked in the context of a conversation that can be answered by all:

1. Do you have a project lined up for after [Bethlehem] already or not yet? Where in the story would you say you are in the writing process (beginning, middle, or end)? Everyone else can substitute out [Bethlehem] and replace it with your current project to answer.

2. Summer 2010, the summer of sadness... Maybe it was vibe going around?

3. Like [getting rid of the wives] always goes to killing, but divorce?

4. How unbelievable is too unbelievable for 2020 and/or a story set in 2020? Murder hornets? Alien abduction?

5. Is "if it could happen, it will happen" a rule on the internet?

6. Does every idea you have get to the outline stage?

7. Do you have any sort of planning notes that help keep track of characters and their motivations throughout a story?

8. [Medical] research, how daunting is that? Do you look for accredited sources? Everyone else, feel free to replace [medical] with whatever you find yourself researching a lot!

9. How often do those bursts of inspiration happen?

10. Do you ever have a hard time going back and writing the beginning, which may not be as interesting as the heart of the story?

11. How often do [ideas] "just go away?"

12. How many docs are in the [outlines and ideas] folder right now?

13. Did you ever write [HP fanfic] outside of that crossover? Anyone write fanfic for other fandoms besides BSB?

14. Do any of your current options feel like "What's next after [Bethlehem]"? Or do you feel like a new idea will strike? Again, replace [Bethlehem] with whatever you're currently working on.

15. Do you use a different notebook for each story?

16. What do you think it is about the Boys that stuck with you so much [to write about them] over other fandoms?

17. How do you like jumping around stories? Is it doing multiple things at once that's frustrating or not having the clear idea for the next project?

18. Did you find it nice or frustrating to have a "between projects" story?

19. On purple prose: What was wrong with just calling them "eyes"? How did calling them "orbs" make it any more descriptive?

Off-topic Questions:

1. So did you like the Cats movie?

2. Do you think the Boys would ever sign off on a biopic musical with their songs? If they did, would you see it? Or, do you think they would ever sign off on a musical with their songs as the plot? If they did, would you see it? Also what would be the plot of that musical?

3. It's definitely a weird world... don't you know it?  ;)

4. What will the first restaurant I go to feel like? Will I be able to see the Boys in [August]?

5. Why is a guest printing [my old PBox update thread]?

6. OMG, a Zombie Burlesque show?

7. Do we have a list of the BSB fanfic rules? See here.

8. Are all these toys weird? Do I just think they're weird because they're updates of toys I liked as a kid? Did my mom think modern barbies were weird compared to the two that existed when she was a kid (blonde or brunette harsh face barbie)?

9. I've been there! It's pretty base-ic? (I'll see myself out...)

10. Can you just tell me what [HP] houses the Boys were in?

11. But then if they're all in Slytherin, do they care [about being betrayed by their friends]?

12. Have you ever seen "Cannibal: The Musical"?

13. Are you experiencing revertigo these days?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:19:33 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #347 on: January 09, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »

I agree with your take on Howie.  He's always been on the quieter side in interviews and doesn't reveal as much personal info as some of the other guys do.  I think it's harder to get to know the real Howie - not that we really know any of them, but hopefully you know what I mean.  Compare him to Nick and AJ, who have always been a lot more open.  Howie is more guarded, which may be smart on his part because look what has happened to people's perceptions of Brian.

I love the friendship Nick and Howie have developed.  They're so different from each other in many ways, but they complement each other well.  I've always felt the same way about AJ and Brian.

Related question for everyone:  What are your favorite pairings of Boys to write about and why?  This could be either slash or platonic or both, depending on what you write.

Apparently Howie and I are kindred spirits in my old age, haha. I think part of that too is that AJ and Nick were just kids when they started, so we watched them grow up. And a kid doesn't really know how to balance a private life with a public one, so you get more "I am all of this" from them. Similarly, I always thought it was pretty smart that you made your persona a pen name. I was young and dumb when I started writing fanfic and was like "I am Dee!" (at least I went with a nickname, haha) If I could go back, I think I would probably make up a pen name instead.

I think Nick has a little of all of them in him, and that's why it's most fun to write Nick & whoever. Because the similarities are uncanny, but the clashes are explosive.

I actually wrote about this in one of my author talks. Let me pull it up!

(I'm so sorry AJ and Howie!), I'm forever team Frick & Frack and Big Bro & Little Bro (does this have a name I'm unaware of?). I've consciously tried to have different dynamics in PBox & PNecklace as much as possible, but you'll definitely still catch leanings in there, especially when the groups split up. Frick & Frack is really nostalgic for me and their banter is just great. Plus I love that Brian can still make the dumbest jokes and Nick will die every time. It just gets me! And I melt every time for the dynamics of Nick and Kevin foiling, supporting, and loving each other. "The little one is the oldest and usually has to take care of people and the big one's the youngest and gets taken care of by people, but now in their chosen family, they're the opposite. Aww..." And then their serious vs silly dynamic, but the older I get, the more I think in the 90's that had a heavy basis in age dichotomy in addition to personality. In general, I'm a sucker for "band of brothers/chosen family/true companions," probably because of the Boys. It will get me every time, so I try to use it as much as possible in my own writing (even outside of BSB fanfic, but especially in BSB fanfic).

Although, like I said, I think I'm on a Nick & Howie kick here recently. So I guess looking at this, I gotta get on an AJ & someone kick, because poor AJ! I really do love you, buddy!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:28:00 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #348 on: January 09, 2021, 02:26:59 PM »

I figured everyone would like an update on my coffee mug. It fits all the coffee I would like to drink without overflowing and because the inside is black, it keeps the coffee warm longer. 10/10 will enjoy over and over again. I was a little annoyed at staring at Brian this morning because I am right handed, though.

There's another question for everybody. How does whatever the Boys are up to affect your writing? Do you let it affect your writing?

Right now, I'm at the chunk of PBox where there's three separate storylines: Nick, Brian, and Minako; AJ, Kevin, and Howie; and Renee and NSYNC. I edited the AJ, Kevin, and Howie portions first because they come first and then I decided to edit the Nick, Brian, and Minako portions last because they're interwoven through the others. I also thought that knowing that once I finished the Renee and NYSNC portions, I would get to edit the Nick, Brian, and Minako portions would motivate me to finish the Renee and NSYNC portions without dilly dallying. They're some of my favorite chapters in the story. But now I'm afraid I'll be unmotivated because of all this Brian nonsense. Hopefully what I said when we talked romance was true, "It's been in my head so long that they're just characters at this point and kind of removed from what the Boys are up to in real life." If that's the case, I can focus on PBox Brian, probably...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:28:54 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #349 on: January 09, 2021, 02:51:21 PM »

Apparently Howie and I are kindred spirits in my old age, haha. I think part of that too is that AJ and Nick were just kids when they started, so we watched them grow up. And a kid doesn't really know how to balance a private life with a public one, so you get more "I am all of this" from them. Similarly, I always thought it was pretty smart that you made your persona a pen name. I was young and dumb when I started writing fanfic and was like "I am Dee!" (at least I went with a nickname, haha) If I could go back, I think I would probably make up a pen name instead.

Very true.  It's clear that Nick and AJ in particular didn't really even know who they were yet back then because they were so young, so we saw them both go through the awkward phases of trying to figure that out as they grew up.  AJ's "bad boy" phase, Nick's ghetto fab phase, etc.  Howie and Kevin were already adults with some actual education and life experience to draw on, and Brian was somewhere in the middle.

You know, I first made up a pen name to start posting my fanfics because I didn't want my friends, who were also still BSB fans back then, to find out about them.  I have never been comfortable sharing my writing with people in my real life.  The anonymity of the internet and writing under a pen name makes it easier.  But now, being a teacher, I'm extra glad I made that choice as a fifteen-year-old because now I would be worried about students, parents, and coworkers finding them.  Dee is probably vague enough that you're good though.

I think Nick has a little of all of them in him, and that's why it's most fun to write Nick & whoever. Because the similarities are uncanny, but the clashes are explosive.

I actually wrote about this in one of my author talks. Let me pull it up!

Although, like I said, I think I'm on a Nick & Howie kick here recently. So I guess looking at this, I gotta get on an AJ & someone kick, because poor AJ! I really do love you, buddy!

I agree about Nick too.  There is something special about his relationship with each one of them.  Frick & Frack has always been my favorite, but I also love Nowie.  Kevin and Nick have a big brother/little brother dynamic I love, and Nick and AJ, as the two youngest, are fun to write together, especially in old-school stories.

Thanks for compiling all those questions!  That's quite a long list we've wracked up just in the last couple days! LOL
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »

I figured everyone would like an update on my coffee mug. It fits all the coffee I would like to drink without overflowing and because the inside is black, it keeps the coffee warm longer. 10/10 will enjoy over and over again. I was a little annoyed at staring at Brian this morning because I am right handed, though.

I'm glad you're enjoying your mug!  Sorry your handedness forces you to look at Brian's face.  I am a lefty, so I also struggle with the pictures on most mugs being on the wrong side if I use the handle with my left hand.  I do have a few that are lefty mugs or have something on both sides.  My favorite writing mug is one a good friend who knows me well got me:  it's purple (my favorite color), left-handed, and says "I'm silently correcting your grammar."

There's another question for everybody. How does whatever the Boys are up to affect your writing? Do you let it affect your writing?

I try not to let it affect my writing.  If anything, it sometimes drives me deeper into writing because I've always considered fanfic my escape from real world problems.  It's tough when those real world problems are also fandom problems, but at least with fanfic, I can write the Boys however I want to and read stories that portray them in a positive light.

Back in 2003-2004, I much preferred my emo but sweet Broken Nick to real life ghetto fab, Paris-dating, pierced-nipple Nick.  I remember watching his Punk'd episode and being so turned off by him, but I just retreated back into Broken land and kept writing about my version of him.  I did the same in 2006 after his DUI, in 2016 after his arrest in Key West, and in 2017 after Melissa Schuman's allegations against him.  The 2000s have certainly been a rollercoaster for Nick fans.

I guess it's time for me to use the same approach with Brian.  I wasn't sure last night if I was even going to try writing anything this weekend, but I woke up this morning, made my coffee, opened my story, and spent a couple hours trying anyway.  And I did get a few paragraphs written.  I also have some more clarity on what story idea I'm going to try tackling next (besides 00Carter), which I think may help me work through this.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2021, 03:07:44 PM »

Very true.  It's clear that Nick and AJ in particular didn't really even know who they were yet back then because they were so young, so we saw them both go through the awkward phases of trying to figure that out as they grew up.  AJ's "bad boy" phase, Nick's ghetto fab phase, etc.  Howie and Kevin were already adults with some actual education and life experience to draw on, and Brian was somewhere in the middle.

You know, I first made up a pen name to start posting my fanfics because I didn't want my friends, who were also still BSB fans back then, to find out about them.  I have never been comfortable sharing my writing with people in my real life.  The anonymity of the internet and writing under a pen name makes it easier.  But now, being a teacher, I'm extra glad I made that choice as a fifteen-year-old because now I would be worried about students, parents, and coworkers finding them.  Dee is probably vague enough that you're good though.

I agree about Nick too.  There is something special about his relationship with each one of them.  Frick & Frack has always been my favorite, but I also love Nowie.  Kevin and Nick have a big brother/little brother dynamic I love, and Nick and AJ, as the two youngest, are fun to write together, especially in old-school stories.

Thanks for compiling all those questions!  That's quite a long list we've wracked up just in the last couple days! LOL

I loved Nick's ghetto fab phase. Nick, once you became a Backstreet Boy, you were no longer a thug in any way, shape, or form. I figure Kevin and Howie got all of their "I am a college kid, this is awesome" out in Europe in the early days, then they were ready to focus on business.

I did with a couple friends, but it was very specific people and I doubt they would remember much now that I wrote fanfic back then. You know, I actually doodled some of my costume designs at school during a "fun day" before a break while the kids were also doodling something different. So they're aware I wrote a novel with these characters, but that's as far as it went, I kept it vague on purpose when they asked. I don't think they could find me unless they did some deep diving (as you said, Dee is vague enough), which I don't think I'm as important to them as things like Among Us anyway or the thought that maybe this novel is online somewhere hasn't likely crossed their minds. Although one of them asked, "Why is that one so handsome?" (Nick). And I was like, "You know, he's just a handsome kind of guy!" haha

I enjoy going back and compiling them (and laughing about the more random ones) and figured it was a must do, especially after Rose responded to the first compilation. I guess we're all just itching to talk about some writing!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #352 on: January 09, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »

I'm glad you're enjoying your mug!  Sorry your handedness forces you to look at Brian's face.  I am a lefty, so I also struggle with the pictures on most mugs being on the wrong side if I use the handle with my left hand.  I do have a few that are lefty mugs or have something on both sides.  My favorite writing mug is one a good friend who knows me well got me:  it's purple (my favorite color), left-handed, and says "I'm silently correcting your grammar."

It's okay, once I was done drinking my coffee, I switched it back to blonde AJ and Dolphins doorag Nick, haha. That's perfect for you! I got my bff one with a stethoscope on it that says "I limit myself to one cup of coffee a day," but it's one of those novelty gigantic mugs. I enjoy when I get to drink coffee out of an actual mug, because you get to smell it more. However, I think I prefer my to-go mugs because they don't have handles, so handedness and picture isn't an issue. My favorites are my crocodile mug (more recently since I used it every Wednesday this fall) and one I have that says "Cold Hands Warm Heart."

I try not to let it affect my writing.  If anything, it sometimes drives me deeper into writing because I've always considered fanfic my escape from real world problems.  It's tough when those real world problems are also fandom problems, but at least with fanfic, I can write the Boys however I want to and read stories that portray them in a positive light.

Back in 2003-2004, I much preferred my emo but sweet Broken Nick to real life ghetto fab, Paris-dating, pierced-nipple Nick.  I remember watching his Punk'd episode and being so turned off by him, but I just retreated back into Broken land and kept writing about my version of him.  I did the same in 2006 after his DUI, in 2016 after his arrest in Key West, and in 2017 after Melissa Schuman's allegations against him.  The 2000s have certainly been a rollercoaster for Nick fans.

I guess it's time for me to use the same approach with Brian.  I wasn't sure last night if I was even going to try writing anything this weekend, but I woke up this morning, made my coffee, opened my story, and spent a couple hours trying anyway.  And I did get a few paragraphs written.  I also have some more clarity on what story idea I'm going to try tackling next (besides 00Carter), which I think may help me work through this.

I always used writing as an escape/processing tool as well, so I'm hoping I'm just overthinking it while I mire around in Renee & NSYNC land. I got half a page of edits done so far today, so I'd say it's going pretty well (with a few "forum refresh" breaks when I stare at a portion too long). Although I woke up kind of late, so I'm more behind than I'd like to be.

I think the 2000s were just a rollercoaster for Nick too. I kind of wished I had someone to talk with during those times that understood my side of it and didn't just jump to "Nick's a terrible person."

I'm just hoping I don't let actual Brian affect PBox Brian in a terrible way. I'd feel so bad. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess I'm just more worried about how the other Boys are feeling today, but that's a conversation for the "Everything Backstreet Boys" thread and not this one necessarily.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2021, 03:37:21 PM »

I don't think they could find me unless they did some deep diving (as you said, Dee is vague enough), which I don't think I'm as important to them as things like Among Us anyway or the thought that maybe this novel is online somewhere hasn't likely crossed their minds. Although one of them asked, "Why is that one so handsome?" (Nick). And I was like, "You know, he's just a handsome kind of guy!" haha

That's so cute that they thought Nick the most handsome!  They have good taste LOL.

I have a Backstreet Boys poster in my classroom.  It's this picture: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f8/99/ed/f899edfc922c5fc6f14a78f1654fdb41.jpg  "Stay in school with the Backstreet Boys!"  I shared it on Facebook once years ago and jokingly said I would love a poster of it to put in my classroom, and my teaching partner (who also gave me the lefty grammar mug) found it on Ebay for me!  So it's been hanging behind my desk for the last few years.  Usually I have at least one kid a year notice it and say, "My mom likes the Backstreet Boys!"  Which means I'm getting old LOL, but hey, I'll take it.

I kind of wished I had someone to talk with during those times that understood my side of it and didn't just jump to "Nick's a terrible person."

I'm just hoping I don't let actual Brian affect PBox Brian in a terrible way. I'd feel so bad. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess I'm just more worried about how the other Boys are feeling today, but that's a conversation for the "Everything Backstreet Boys" thread and not this one necessarily.

Aww, you should have come back here years ago.  We've had many conversations about Nick's problems.  The "Nick's a terrible person" people stopping posting here once they realized the rest of us weren't going to participate in dragging him through the mud.

I'm also not going to waste my time ranting about what a terrible person Brian is and judging everyone having a hard time with this.  I'm right there with you.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2021, 04:35:37 PM »

That's so cute that they thought Nick the most handsome!  They have good taste LOL.

I have a Backstreet Boys poster in my classroom.  It's this picture: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f8/99/ed/f899edfc922c5fc6f14a78f1654fdb41.jpg  "Stay in school with the Backstreet Boys!"  I shared it on Facebook once years ago and jokingly said I would love a poster of it to put in my classroom, and my teaching partner (who also gave me the lefty grammar mug) found it on Ebay for me!  So it's been hanging behind my desk for the last few years.  Usually I have at least one kid a year notice it and say, "My mom likes the Backstreet Boys!"  Which means I'm getting old LOL, but hey, I'll take it.

Indeed!

OMG, I love it! I have the old scholastic one still "Everybody... Read a Book!" and I have been dying to put it in my classrooms, but my students always liked to pull down our decorations and my school is bigger on "student centered displays," so it's stayed at home. If you have something in common with their families, you're gold. I relish the times I get called "mom," it makes me feel so important to their lives.

Aww, you should have come back here years ago.  We've had many conversations about Nick's problems.  The "Nick's a terrible person" people stopping posting here once they realized the rest of us weren't going to participate in dragging him through the mud.

I'm also not going to waste my time ranting about what a terrible person Brian is and judging everyone having a hard time with this.  I'm right there with you.

I really should have. I tried once or twice, but wasn't really ready for it then, still being in the "I have nothing to contribute" phase. I don't know that I can drag them through the mud and I've already done a decent job of separating the music from the people for the most part.

I guess it's been a little off for me since I don't really keep up their personal socials as much, just the @backstreetboys ones, and I hate when my inklings are proven right if they're not good things (as opposed to a "Kevin has forced them all to go on several hikes and AJ is always woefully unprepared" type thing). I'm pretty much over it already though, since we all discussed it and I slept on it, unless something worse happens because of it.

I told myself I had to finish my last chapter edit and was starving to death, so it got quiet here for a minute, haha.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2021, 06:01:39 PM »

I told myself I had to finish my last chapter edit and was starving to death, so it got quiet here for a minute, haha.

Well darn, I thought I would try my old method of listening to NSYNC during Renee and NSYNC chapters and now I'm already half way through editing the next chapter. Guess I gotta buckle down and listen to the least amount of NSYNC possible while writing this story, haha.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2021, 06:22:50 PM »

OMG, I love it! I have the old scholastic one still "Everybody... Read a Book!" and I have been dying to put it in my classrooms, but my students always liked to pull down our decorations and my school is bigger on "student centered displays," so it's stayed at home. If you have something in common with their families, you're gold. I relish the times I get called "mom," it makes me feel so important to their lives.

Aww, I need to find that one!  And yes, I love getting called mom too.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #357 on: January 09, 2021, 07:20:08 PM »

Aww, I need to find that one!  And yes, I love getting called mom too.

I begged our librarian for it at the end of the year back when I was a young one myself. I have treasured it since.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #358 on: January 09, 2021, 07:39:35 PM »

I was going through Question Thread #11 and had to smile when I saw this post I wrote: http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,3214.msg113733.html#msg113733

"I am all about that mind-blowing moment when the reader finds out the story she thought was going in a certain direction has just taken a huge turn in a totally different direction.  Granted, in my stories, that twist usually comes in the form of some deadly disease or another, so that's probably starting to become predictable.  Maybe someday I'll do the opposite and write a cancer story that turns into some crazy suspense thriller. :)"

I did do that!  It wasn't a cancer story, but medical drama that turns into some crazy suspense thriller?  Check.  I didn't get the specific idea for that story until 2017, but I forgot I had this thought three years earlier.

Has anyone else either followed through with a story idea many years later, or had the same basic idea twice and didn't realize it until way after the fact?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #359 on: January 09, 2021, 07:55:06 PM »

I was going through Question Thread #11 and had to smile when I saw this post I wrote: http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,3214.msg113733.html#msg113733

"Maybe someday I'll do the opposite and write a cancer story that turns into some crazy suspense thriller. :)"

Now you have to write a suspense thriller that turns out to be a fever dreamed caused by cancer.

Has anyone else either followed through with a story idea many years later, or had the same basic idea twice and didn't realize it until way after the fact?

I didn't think I had, but then I stumbled on this thread ("Rewriting Old Stories?") today where I said:

There's a few I've thought about rewriting, but never got around to it yet. When I originally made that list (of all my stories and where they were in progress), I kind of came to the conclusion that a story I had started writing years ago had a similar basic plot idea to PBox... Only PBox is way more interesting. lol

And now I'm rewriting PBox... Man, I've apparently really only had one good idea ever, haha.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:05:35 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50