Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146050 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #405 on: January 10, 2021, 07:45:22 PM »

Ooh, here's another music question for everyone because I'm jamming out to "Great Divide" right now. I forgot how many PBox vibes it used to give me. Do songs ever remind you of your stories?

Definitely.  I have to admit, when Nick started singing "Open Arms" on the Masked Singer finale, I cried and thought how much Claire would have loved that because that was "their" song in Broken and BMS.  That made my little fanfic-loving heart so happy.

"Not the Other Guy" and "I'm Taking Off" make me think of Curtain Call because I was writing that story when that album came out and included those songs in the story.  "Cherry Pie" and "Man on the Moon" also make me think of Curtain Call, even though I completed that story long before All American came out, just because they reminded me of my female lead, Cary, and how much she would have loved them.  I actually ended up writing a little companion one-shot about that.

"Halfway There" from the Nick & Knight album makes me think of Sick as My Secrets, which makes me laugh because in that story, I had Nick write it for Howie.

"Quit Playing Games" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" make me think of A Heart That Isn't Mine.  There's a conversation between the characters in that story about all the songs by the Boys that have "heart" in the title, cause there's a lot of them, so I had a little playlist going of all those songs while I was writing that story.

And of course any song about zombies, but especially "Thriller" makes me think of Song for the Undead, as does "Song for the Unloved."

Likewise, any song we used in 00Carter makes me think of that.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #406 on: January 10, 2021, 07:51:17 PM »

Definitely.  I have to admit, when Nick started singing "Open Arms" on the Masked Singer finale, I cried and thought how much Claire would have loved that because that was "their" song in Broken and BMS.  That made my little fanfic-loving heart so happy.

Aww! I loved all of them, but that one touched my heart.

"Quit Playing Games" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" make me think of A Heart That Isn't Mine.  There's a conversation between the characters in that story about all the songs by the Boys that have "heart" in the title, cause there's a lot of them, so I had a little playlist going of all those songs while I was writing that story.

They have so many. I'd venture at least a quarter of the catalogue.

You also seem to like including music as an integral part of your writing. Do you think that comes from it being BSB fanfic and our "shared cannon" or is it more about the feeling of music compared to writing?

Also, off topic, but I'd forgotten how much this album bops. I realized from the timing of its release that I'd only had it on itunes and never bought a physical copy, so I definitely paid a bajillion dollars for it last month to rectify that.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #407 on: January 10, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »

You also seem to like including music as an integral part of your writing. Do you think that comes from it being BSB fanfic and our "shared cannon" or is it more about the feeling of music compared to writing?

When it comes to listening to music while I'm writing, I think that is just something I do because it helps me focus and get into the right mood.  I don't usually listen to BSB music while I write.

When it comes to including music in my stories, I do think that is just the nature of writing fanfic about musicians.  I write a lot of scenes involving music - concerts, rehearsals, recording/songwriting sessions, etc.  My romances seem more likely to have special songs tied to them, but a lot of those came from the same type of music career-related scenes I just listed.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #408 on: January 10, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »

When it comes to including music in my stories, I do think that is just the nature of writing fanfic about musicians.  I write a lot of scenes involving music - concerts, rehearsals, recording/songwriting sessions, etc.  My romances seem more likely to have special songs tied to them, but a lot of those came from the same type of music career-related scenes I just listed.

I just like the emotive feeling of music. I often include songs arced throughout a story as characters grow and change. Sometimes they inspire different feelings in the story.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #409 on: January 10, 2021, 08:37:20 PM »

Here's some questions from the first question archive post that I thought were funny, relevant, or worth revisiting.  Answer any or all!

I wanted to get to a certain point in my editing so I could tackle this. You guys are a great distraction from NSYNC focused chapters, but I really am trying to stay motivated and focused for 00Carter.

18. Remember when people would write dialogue in Ebonics because that is how Nick was speaking most of the time?

OMG, Nick and Justin Timberlake wanted to be so Black in the early 2000's! Does everyone think it was an age thing or an early 00's thing? Do guys in their early twenties still do this? As a language buff, I can't hate on Ebonics too much, because it actually has really interesting linguistic patterns, but reading it over and over in stories was so grating, even if it was mimicking Nick well.

20. Do you think there is any subject matter that should be off limits when it comes to writing a story? Is there anything you would never write about?

No. The written word is a reflection of the world around us, so it's important to cover a range of topics and situations.

32. Is there a storyline that you want to see covered that no one has really touched on?

I'm out of the loop. Let me catch back up and I'll let you know. For now, I will say more storylines. Let's get a little more life back into this section of the fandom again. :)

86. How far do you take your hatred of someone when it comes to fan fiction? (ie: Leighanne or even a BSB fan).

Far enough to avoid including them in my writing. What is it Mare always says? BSB fanfic should focus on the Boys? haha

92. Now I'm curious about the most random thing ever. What font do you guys write in? LOL

Calibri. I think I started writing in it on accident, because it definitely used to be Time's New Roman. I like that it's kind of bubbly without taking away from the readability.

128. Have you ever considered writing a story or a sequel to one of your existing stories and then decided against it and were later glad you decided not to write it?  Share the most ridiculous idea you came up with, but never wrote!

No, the exact opposite. Okay, so I know I've come up with a lot of ridiculous stories over time... But I cannot remember any of them right now. Like the other day, I quoted myself saying that I'd had a story that was the same idea as PBox, but not as good and I cannot remember that other story at all. I think my years of party girl drinking have caught up to me and, like the Boys, I have a hard time remembering things in specifics. I'm actually surprised I remembered that "Nick made up the Backstreet Boys and is actually being treated for mental health issues" story last month, for instance.

130. Give us a random fact about something you've written that we might find surprising. How random? I've been dying to answer this question and no one's bitten. Would this count as a random fact:

I was serious when I said ask me anything and you'll get answers. Been waiting to talk about mundane things like why Nick doesn't wear shoes and everyone else does.

162. What is the biggest motivator for you to write?  And on the other end of things what is the thing that makes your motivation go bye bye?

I think it's always been the same thing, but I've learned over the years to let it be my focus on not agonizing or other things like I did in the past. I really think it's leaning into whatever the characters are doing. If I'm excited about the direction they seem to be taking a story, I will write and write and write until my fingers bleed. If we seem to have different ideas or I had a plan that doesn't seem to be going well, I shut down. Also life. If life is busy, I'm not writing.

185. What are some of the stories you've written because they were something you would want to read?

I think every story I've stuck with is a story I wanted to read. I actually reread my own stories a lot, especially when I'm wanting to get back into the groove of them. I find rereading really helpful to reconnect with a work. If I started writing something because I thought other people would enjoy it, I've never finished it. *eyes every 2-3 chapter Nick romance story ever on my account*

186. Have you ever actually gone back and read those stories, and if so, do you think you enjoyed them as much as you would have if you hadn't been the one who wrote them?

Yes, I often reread. I think the only thing that makes them slightly less enjoyable is that you know what's coming. Even if it's been a long time, I eventually start remembering details in them. There's not really twists for the author, so it's never surprising. But, I also think it's the same as rereading a favorite book. You know what's coming, but as you age and mature, you get different things out of a story. I reread Les Mis and Gatsby about every five years and still love both of them, even though I'm not surprised by anything.

187. Are there any stories you've written that you don't think you would read if someone else had written them?

The ones I never finished? I say that now, but if someone else had written them back when I was thinking of writing them, I probably would have read them then.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #410 on: January 10, 2021, 09:32:54 PM »

OMG, Nick and Justin Timberlake wanted to be so Black in the early 2000's! Does everyone think it was an age thing or an early 00's thing? Do guys in their early twenties still do this? As a language buff, I can't hate on Ebonics too much, because it actually has really interesting linguistic patterns, but reading it over and over in stories was so grating, even if it was mimicking Nick well.

LOL I don't know!  Justin Bieber talks this way or used to (don't pay much attention to him), but I don't think all guys that age do.  It was weird that both Nick and Justin did when none of the other guys in BSB or NSYNC really did either.  Whatever the reason, I'm glad Nick no longer talks that way.  In general, he has gotten much more eloquent over the years, in terms of both speaking and writing.  His tweets don't make me cringe because of grammatical errors as much anymore.  Autocorrect probably helps with that, but it also seems like he has made an effort to read more and educate himself.  I love how he values education when it comes to his kids.  His Instagram post this weekend with Odin reading was so adorable.  I love how he reads to them regularly.  Stuff like that really makes me appreciate how far he's come.  I wish I could go back to 2003-2004 and tell myself, "Don't worry... this too shall past.  Nick will turn out okay.  He will marry a lovely woman who is not Paris Hilton, start a family that is not at all dysfunctional, and become a great dad."

I've been dying to answer this question and no one's bitten. Would this count as a random fact:

So tell us, why DOES everyone wear shoes except Nick??
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #411 on: January 10, 2021, 09:45:40 PM »

LOL I don't know!  Justin Bieber talks this way or used to (don't pay much attention to him), but I don't think all guys that age do.  It was weird that both Nick and Justin did when none of the other guys in BSB or NSYNC really did either.  Whatever the reason, I'm glad Nick no longer talks that way.  In general, he has gotten much more eloquent over the years, in terms of both speaking and writing.  His tweets don't make me cringe because of grammatical errors as much anymore.  Autocorrect probably helps with that, but it also seems like he has made an effort to read more and educate himself.  I love how he values education when it comes to his kids.  His Instagram post this weekend with Odin reading was so adorable.  I love how he reads to them regularly.  Stuff like that really makes me appreciate how far he's come.  I wish I could go back to 2003-2004 and tell myself, "Don't worry... this too shall past.  Nick will turn out okay.  He will marry a lovely woman who is not Paris Hilton, start a family that is not at all dysfunctional, and become a great dad."

Justin Bieber did do it too (Does? I also don't keep up with him.), so maybe it's just male white celebrities in their early twenties who are experimenting with living the stereotypical thug life that is far removed from their reality.

Even though my dream was to marry him, I just always wanted him to be happy most of all. So I am pleased with all those things you would tell yourself in 2003-2004 and with all the efforts he's made to better himself over the years. I am also extremely pleased that he is reading with his kids regularly. Parents ask me constantly how to get their kids to appreciate books, speak in longer sentences, etcetera. And I'm always like, "Well do you read to them and talk about what you're reading? Because the more you read and talk with your kids, the better all those things will get, in addition to a plethora of social emotional and cognitive things."

So tell us, why DOES everyone wear shoes except Nick??

Finally! (haha) Any character in PBox et al. who does not wear shoes is meant as shorthand for barefoot poverty in their world. For Nick in particular, it's a mix of that, "they don't sell shoes in Hell," too old to change, and stubborn af. He's in the corner muttering "I see your weird foot coverings, but also I have feet that work just fine," basically.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #412 on: January 10, 2021, 10:11:02 PM »

Celebrate with me! I finished the NSYNC arc! Now back to Nick, Brian, and Minako. Hopefully pesky Brian stays in his corner while he's possessed.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #413 on: January 10, 2021, 10:16:58 PM »

20. Do you think there is any subject matter that should be off limits when it comes to writing a story? Is there anything you would never write about?

I had to look up my original answer on this one:

I don't think anything should be off limits; writing is all about creativity and freedom of expression.  That said, I guess there are things I choose not to write about.  I don't kill off Backstreet kids, for example - Baylee, Mason, James, and AJ's spawn are off limits.  I don't do slash.  I guess that's about it LOL.  And the things I said I don't do, I probably will do someday just because I vowed I wouldn't; that's how I roll LOL.

I still haven't crossed the killing real BSB kids line, but slash is now off my short list of things I "don't do."  Otherwise, my answer is the same now as it was then.  And the last two lines are very true LOL.

86. How far do you take your hatred of someone when it comes to fan fiction? (ie: Leighanne or even a BSB fan).

This one just made me laugh after Dee resurrected that post about Leighanne.  I don't hate anyone currently associated with the Boys, including Leighanne (hate is a strong word), but I have definitely based characters on people I don't like.  That's a writer's best form of revenge.  I also mocked Paris Hilton (and killed her off in that freak carnival accident) and wrote a Return of the Jedi parody with Melissa Schuman in the role of Jabba the Hutt.

92. Now I'm curious about the most random thing ever. What font do you guys write in? LOL

Georgia, size 12.  I've used Georgia for years and carried it over to Google Docs when I switched from Word.  I just like the way it looks - nothing fancy, easy to read, but prettier than Times New Roman, in my opinion.

128. Have you ever considered writing a story or a sequel to one of your existing stories and then decided against it and were later glad you decided not to write it?  Share the most ridiculous idea you came up with, but never wrote!

I went looking for my original answer to this one, but couldn't find it.  I posed this question, but I don't think I ever answered it.  The first thing that came to mind was my ill-fated BMS sequel I mentioned last week, which may have been what inspired this question.  I also had a fantasy idea a long time ago that was basically Nick and the boys getting trapped inside one of his video games and going on some kind of quest.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that was also the one that turned out to be a coma dream in the end LOL.  It never got to outline stage; it was just a one-line idea written down in a document.

130. Give us a random fact about something you've written that we might find surprising.

I like putting inside jokes into stories.  There are a ton in Broken, so many that when I reread it last year, I was like, "Okay, I know this is a joke, but I don't remember the details of it anymore."  Sad.  But one of my favorite  random ones that makes me laugh any time I come across it is the doctor character in Curtain Call called "Dr. Schnabeltier."  "Schnabeltier" means "platypus" in German... so his name is "Dr. Platypus" LMAO.  This was right after Platypussy Galore was planned for 00Carter, so I was in a platypus phase.  It really is the most random animal.

162. What is the biggest motivator for you to write?  And on the other end of things what is the thing that makes your motivation go bye bye?

Writing makes me happy.  I always feel better after I've had a productive writing day or written a scene I'm proud of.  So my biggest motivation is probably the mood boost I get from doing it.  The biggest obstacle to writing is a lack of time and/or energy - being too busy or too tired to do it.  

185. What are some of the stories you've written because they were something you would want to read?

All of my medical dramas and suspense stories

186. Have you ever actually gone back and read those stories, and if so, do you think you enjoyed them as much as you would have if you hadn't been the one who wrote them?

I have gone back and read them, and I've enjoyed everything from Broken on.  I think, as a reader, I would have gotten bored with Broken before the big cancer reveal, similar to how it took me two tries to get into the first Swollen Issues story when it seemed like more of a comedy than a medical drama.  Once I got to the cancer diagnosis, I would be in.

Like Dee said, the only downside to reading your own stories is that you already know what's coming, so there's no real surprises or genuine reaction to a twist.  Even the old ones that I don't remember all the details to, I do start to remember more the further I read, so nothing is truly surprising.

187. Are there any stories you've written that you don't think you would read if someone else had written them?

I wouldn't have even clicked on 00Carter because I don't like James Bond movies, and I'm not a huge fan of AU.  I may have read Song for the Undead, but I'm not totally sure because of the AU thing again.  Secrets of the Heart may have had better luck because of the giant human heart on the banner - that would have caught my attention.  Sick as My Secrets I wouldn't have read because it was slash, although I may have if I knew the actual premise of it.  I probably wouldn't have read my pandaskunk stories either because they look so stupid.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #414 on: January 10, 2021, 10:21:08 PM »

Finally! (haha) Any character in PBox et al. who does not wear shoes is meant as shorthand for barefoot poverty in their world. For Nick in particular, it's a mix of that, "they don't sell shoes in Hell," too old to change, and stubborn af. He's in the corner muttering "I see your weird foot coverings, but also I have feet that work just fine," basically.

Interesting!  I like those behind-the-scenes facts about characters that are never explained in the actual story, but left to interpretation .
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #415 on: January 10, 2021, 10:21:43 PM »

Celebrate with me! I finished the NSYNC arc! Now back to Nick, Brian, and Minako. Hopefully pesky Brian stays in his corner while he's possessed.

Yay!!  Congratulation s!  Stay in your corner, Brian!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #416 on: January 10, 2021, 10:30:08 PM »

I still haven't crossed the killing real BSB kids line, but slash is now off my short list of things I "don't do."  Otherwise, my answer is the same now as it was then.  And the last two lines are very true LOL.

I took that as a writing in general question, not a BSB fanfic question. I would also not have their children get killed, because I don't like to include their wives and families in my stories! So this is a non-issue.

This one just made me laugh after Dee resurrected that post about Leighanne.

I want some of the people in that thread to respond to it now, like Sarah.

The first thing that came to mind was my ill-fated BMS sequel I mentioned last week, which may have been what inspired this question.  I also had a fantasy idea a long time ago that was basically Nick and the boys getting trapped inside one of his video games and going on some kind of quest.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that was also the one that turned out to be a coma dream in the end LOL.  It never got to outline stage; it was just a one-line idea written down in a document.

You keep bringing up that ill-fated sequel in old questions. Do you perhaps still want to write it deep down?

I would read that video game story, probably. But oh no, the quest ends when you get unplugged! And they break the fourth wall!

130. Give us a random fact about something you've written that we might find surprising.

But one of my favorite  random ones that makes me laugh any time I come across it is the doctor character in Curtain Call called "Dr. Schnabeltier."  "Schnabeltier" means "platypus" in German... so his name is "Dr. Platypus" LMAO.  This was right after Platypussy Galore was planned for 00Carter, so I was in a platypus phase.  It really is the most random animal.

Did you know that they're phosphorescent like diamonds?! Platypus(es?) are the best!

I have gone back and read them, and I've enjoyed everything from Broken on.  I think, as a reader, I would have gotten bored with Broken before the big cancer reveal, similar to how it took me two tries to get into the first Swollen Issues story when it seemed like more of a comedy than a medical drama.  Once I got to the cancer diagnosis, I would be in.

Like Dee said, the only downside to reading your own stories is that you already know what's coming, so there's no real surprises or genuine reaction to a twist.  Even the old ones that I don't remember all the details to, I do start to remember more the further I read, so nothing is truly surprising.

That being said, I still laugh at things that were supposed to be funny and tear up a little at things that were supposed to be sad. It's just those twist moments that aren't surprising. And sometimes I'll skim if I want to get to a great part that I know is coming. (*cough* totally skim through all the NSYNC chapters *cough*)

similar to how it took me two tries to get into the first Swollen Issues story when it seemed like more of a comedy than a medical drama.

Related question, how long do you give a story before you go "nope"? Is the amount similar for fanfics and published works?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:31:48 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #417 on: January 10, 2021, 10:35:48 PM »

Interesting!  I like those behind-the-scenes facts about characters that are never explained in the actual story, but left to interpretation .

Ah, me too! If only fantasy interested you at all, because I just want to share, haha. I don't know if it's a writing thing or a world building thing, but I love extra little tidbits from authors as long as they don't totally contradict something written in the story. Maybe some of my author talk ideas would make good questions for this thread.

Yay!!  Congratulation s!  Stay in your corner, Brian!

9 chapters left to edit! Then I can pick up a second project! Hooray! Be ready, Rose! Are you about a week or two out from finishing Bethlehem, Julie?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2021, 10:42:49 PM »

You keep bringing up that ill-fated sequel in old questions. Do you perhaps still want to write it deep down?

I would read that video game story, probably. But oh no, the quest ends when you get unplugged! And they break the fourth wall!

No, not at all.  That ship has sailed.  It was just on my mind because I talked about it the other day.  I do have a series of Nick & Claire one-shots called Footprints that I could add to if I ever felt a strong urge to write about them again, but I haven't written anything for that in a long time.

LOL Unplugged as taken off life support?  Oh noes!

Did you know that they're phosphorescent like diamonds?! Platypus(es?) are the best! fanfics and published works?

No!  I just googled that, and you're right!  They really are the best.  It's on my bucket list to see a live platypus in person.  I once read that Australia refused to export them to zoos on other continents because they don't do as well in captivity, but then I just looked it up again now and found an article about a pair being on display at the San Diego Zoo in 2019!  I wonder if they'll still be there post-pandemic.  I wanna go!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:45:31 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #419 on: January 10, 2021, 10:44:17 PM »

Are you about a week or two out from finishing Bethlehem, Julie?

Depending on how fast I write, yes!  I'm like halfway through the second-to-last chapter.  Hopefully I'll finish that in the next week and just have one more to write, which I think will go quickly.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50