Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146063 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #450 on: January 11, 2021, 10:41:30 PM »

I would love for the Felix Awards to happen again, but the site has died so much since the last one, I feel like it would just be a few of us doing the nominating and voting.  

LOL That would be nice for Nick, to be able to kick back and barely contribute to the storyline.  We need to find someone who hates him the way Julilly hates Kevin to write that story.

I nominate myself for the longest hiatus and most glorious comeback. ;) It's one of those honorary awards.

Poor Nick, I think even the people who hate him as much as Julilly hates Kevin still make him do important things in their stories.

Oh wait! I have the perfect solution. Nick and Howie Freaky Friday each other, but then Nick disappears for the whole story, so Howie can't switch back. haha.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #451 on: January 12, 2021, 12:06:50 PM »

Wow. Lol well it's been a real ride since I started writing like when I was 13/14. I started in high school before I knew what fanfiction was. My Nick and Amanda series was the first one I really wrote and it's evolved so much since I began it. I finally finished that like in 2019 I believe? I'm not sure. I wrote a lot of different things. I've pretty much tried just about every genre in one way or another except for fantasy. I've written a lot of AU stuff so I would say that's probably my favorite one to play with. I also like to write in third person a lot although I've done some first person POV as well. So it's a toss up what I'm going to work on because like I said, I've tried nearly everything lol.

Nick and Amanda is 5 stories long and my baby so it felt really good to finish, and I started to write slash in 2017/2018. I do Nick and Brian usually but I've also written some Nick and Kevin.

My first story I ever wrote is still on AC, it's called Incomplete and it's very cringe lol its one of those Nick being in a coma stories but with a twist. I still keep it up cause sometimes it's fun to go back and look at it and see how I've grown as a writer. I've definitely grown! I reread a lot of my own work as a comparison and to inspire myself to get even better.

I wanna say my favorite story I've ever written was Finding Carter. It was my first first person POV story, first story that I did a lot of research for, and the first one I had kind of an outline for. I usually do not outline anything. I know most of the time how I want to end something when I begin writing but then again, sometimes I also just wing it.

Sorry for the long response LOL

134. Is there any question you'd like to ask any of the authors who usually participate in this thread?

Since I already managed to get my burning question for Julie into a natural conversation, I think my question is for Tracy!

Tell me about your fanfic journey. I feel like I remember you writing a lot of Nick/female OC and now you do a lot of Nick/Brian. Tell me about your fanfic life, basically.

140. What has been your favorite memory of writing?

And this one's easy: all y'all. That's why I eventually made my way back. If I had to be specific... Late night 00Carter planning, probably? The best of both writing and being here.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #452 on: January 12, 2021, 05:07:17 PM »

I was 11, but I think you're a couple years older than I am if memory serves me right. It was probably all around that same 99/00 time frame though.

Yep!  I started in 99/00 too.

Oh wait! I have the perfect solution. Nick and Howie Freaky Friday each other, but then Nick disappears for the whole story, so Howie can't switch back. haha.

Haha, love this idea!  Add it to the list of joke ideas.

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #453 on: January 12, 2021, 05:27:21 PM »

I've pretty much tried just about every genre in one way or another except for fantasy. I've written a lot of AU stuff so I would say that's probably my favorite one to play with. I also like to write in third person a lot although I've done some first person POV as well. So it's a toss up what I'm going to work on because like I said, I've tried nearly everything lol.

This is one reason I respect you as a writer, Tracy.  You really have written just about everything!

My first story I ever wrote is still on AC, it's called Incomplete and it's very cringe lol its one of those Nick being in a coma stories but with a twist. I still keep it up cause sometimes it's fun to go back and look at it and see how I've grown as a writer. I've definitely grown! I reread a lot of my own work as a comparison and to inspire myself to get even better.

How did I miss this one back in the day?!  I just went to look it up because I have no memory of it, and I was definitely around when you posted it.  You know I'm a sucker for coma stories.  I just sped-read it and was quite entertained!  My favorite part was the description of Brian in the leopard print thong, humping the stage... LMAO!!

I loved how old-school it was.  It had all the great BSB fanfic cliches, from using nouns like "the rebel" and "the Latino" instead of the Boys' names, to crazy Jane Carter storming in to demand they pull the plug, to the Boys singing Nick out of his coma.  I literally clapped and burst out laughing when I got to that part.  Every coma story needs a heartfelt bedside serenade!

In all seriousness, it was cliched, but really not bad at all for your first story!  I liked the premise of it.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #454 on: January 12, 2021, 06:23:09 PM »

Lol thank you... I know a lot of people didn't start reading my stuff until I posted Figured You Out but yes Incomplete was riddled with cliches  :D

Thanks for the other comment about respecting me as a writer, that really means a lot cause for the longest time I looked up to you girls, especially you, Rose and Mare who is my favorite fanfiction author. I really have tried everything and I think that's what makes my stories so interesting. I don't feel pigeonholed when it comes to genres.

So that's a question that I have. Does anyone feel like they're "known" for writing a certain genre and have you stepped out of your comfort zone? How was that for you?

Writing slash is definitely out of my comfort zone but I have come to really enjoy it.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #455 on: January 12, 2021, 06:24:28 PM »

Also I'm glad you did enjoy Incomplete for the entertainment value, Brian being a male stripper made me laugh so hard when I wrote it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #456 on: January 12, 2021, 07:50:32 PM »

Lol thank you... I know a lot of people didn't start reading my stuff until I posted Figured You Out but yes Incomplete was riddled with cliches  :D

Thanks for the other comment about respecting me as a writer, that really means a lot cause for the longest time I looked up to you girls, especially you, Rose and Mare who is my favorite fanfiction author. I really have tried everything and I think that's what makes my stories so interesting. I don't feel pigeonholed when it comes to genres.

So that's a question that I have. Does anyone feel like they're "known" for writing a certain genre and have you stepped out of your comfort zone? How was that for you?

Writing slash is definitely out of my comfort zone but I have come to really enjoy it.

Yeah, Figured You Out is the first story I remember reading of yours.  I loved that one!

Thanks for the compliment!  That means a lot to me too. <3

I am definitely best known for writing medical drama.  I don't feel pigeonholed by it because it's my favorite genre to write, but I have tried to broaden my horizons over the years.  00Carter really helped with that, so thanks Rose, Dee, and everyone else who was part of that project.  That is not the kind of story I ever thought I would enjoy writing or be good at writing, but it was so fun and really brought out a creative side of me I didn't know I had.  Since then, I've written more comedy and other genres I'd never really tried before, like horror and slash.  Some of my favorite stories I've written have been ones that pushed me out of my comfort zone, whether because of genre or subject matter.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #457 on: January 12, 2021, 07:52:53 PM »

Also I'm glad you did enjoy Incomplete for the entertainment value, Brian being a male stripper made me laugh so hard when I wrote it.

I loved how everything was backwards.  It was like Opposite World!  Brian a stripper, AJ a preacher, Howie with no property, and Kevin with no eyebrows LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #458 on: January 12, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »

What's everyone's fanfic guilty pleasure?  In other words, what kind of story will you always click on, even if you've read a dozen other stories like it?

Like I told Tracy, I'm a sucker for coma stories, car/bus crash stories, and sick fics.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #459 on: January 12, 2021, 08:20:14 PM »

I love almost anything but I especially love Frick and Frack, anything with them. I love suspense and angst. Comedy.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #460 on: January 12, 2021, 08:32:35 PM »

Another question I thought of while watching The Resident:  Has the pandemic affected the plots of your current or future stories at all?  If it hasn't, do you see yourself writing something that takes place in this time period, or would you prefer to stick to the past or an unspecified time period for future projects?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2021, 08:34:18 PM »

I love almost anything but I especially love Frick and Frack, anything with them. I love suspense and angst. Comedy.

I'm here for angsty Frick & Frack suspense stories!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »

Wow. Lol well it's been a real ride since I started writing like when I was 13/14. I started in high school before I knew what fanfiction was. My Nick and Amanda series was the first one I really wrote and it's evolved so much since I began it. I finally finished that like in 2019 I believe? I'm not sure. I wrote a lot of different things. I've pretty much tried just about every genre in one way or another except for fantasy. I've written a lot of AU stuff so I would say that's probably my favorite one to play with. I also like to write in third person a lot although I've done some first person POV as well. So it's a toss up what I'm going to work on because like I said, I've tried nearly everything lol.

Nick and Amanda is 5 stories long and my baby so it felt really good to finish, and I started to write slash in 2017/2018. I do Nick and Brian usually but I've also written some Nick and Kevin.

I wanna say my favorite story I've ever written was Finding Carter. It was my first first person POV story, first story that I did a lot of research for, and the first one I had kind of an outline for. I usually do not outline anything. I know most of the time how I want to end something when I begin writing but then again, sometimes I also just wing it.

Sorry for the long response LOL

I was trying to split this response up in little quotes and couldn't find a good way to do so.

First, write as much as you want, I loved reading it all! I'm excited that you were able to finish your fanfic baby. It always feels really nice when you finish something, especially something that you've put so much work into over the years. I also love that you've tried so many different things. I think, if nothing else, it helps us realize where our strengths really do lie in writing and gives us a chance to say why we don't do certain things or possibly find a new love or appreciation for something we didn't think we would.

You guys being so proud of your old stories. Fine, I will go find something.

I think all my favorite stories have been the ones that have involved a lot of research as well. Because you can look back at all your man hours and think "Yeah I did something awesome."
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #463 on: January 12, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »

Haha, love this idea!  Add it to the list of joke ideas.

Done.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2021, 09:10:25 PM »

I loved how everything was backwards.  It was like Opposite World!  Brian a stripper, AJ a preacher, Howie with no property, and Kevin with no eyebrows LOL.

Nick dreams weird things in a coma. But I love it! Except I'm holding a vigil for Kevin's eyebrows.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 50