Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146031 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #510 on: January 15, 2021, 09:39:04 PM »

I've been working on a update for If I Knew Then for a few days now and Nick has been bugging the hell out of me to change things and rewrite them.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #511 on: January 15, 2021, 09:40:57 PM »

Lol I should have read back but thank you for showing me lol. In this particular case Brian has a lot to say and Nick doesn't like how I originally wanted him to react so he had me change a bunch of stuff. He is a persistent little shit haha

Conversations are where the boys push back against me the most.  Sometimes conversations just don't go the way I thought they might go, but they usually turn out better for it.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #512 on: January 15, 2021, 09:42:29 PM »

So I started watching some of her other fanfic to pro videos while eating dinner and basically got sucked in. I think it's all pretty interesting! Anyone else watch any of these videos?

I don't think I have watched any of her other videos.  I'm not sure how I found the original one, but it apparently stuck with me.  I will have to venture down that rabbit hole someday soon.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #513 on: January 15, 2021, 09:50:07 PM »

Let's just say that I've considered it. I don't even think my husband would catch it, haha. There's also Julia in Poster Girl.

She was trashy though, with her smoking and shoplifting LOL.  Plus, there's never been total agreement on whether it's Julie or Jodie.  Most of the lyrics sites say Jodie.  This is something I would love for the Boys to clarify for us someday because it's hard to tell.  Poster Girl is my least favorite song on Never Gone, but I liked it a little better when I thought it had my pen name in it.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #514 on: January 15, 2021, 09:56:36 PM »

Once in a while, but not as often as it does to Dee LOL.  I've pretty much tortured the boys into submission by now, so they generally do what I want.  I did do Nick and Brian a small favor by revising the last two chapters of Bethlehem I posted (which was originally one giant chapter) to make them slightly less dramatic, which may be a first for me LOL.

Lucky duck. ;) I'm sure Nick and Brian thank you for being slightly less dramatic.

Conversations are where the boys push back against me the most.  Sometimes conversations just don't go the way I thought they might go, but they usually turn out better for it.

I love it when it happens in conversations. I'm pretty used to Nick being pushy about whatever, but when it's a conversation, it means the other Boys are pushing back, haha. There's a chapter coming up down the line where Nick's looking to pick a fight, basically. Brian tries being reassuring, Howie tries logic, Kevin tries to put him in his place gently, but then it ended up being AJ who got the conversation to end... with Nick storming out, but I don't think Nick or I were expecting AJ to shut him up, haha.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #515 on: January 15, 2021, 09:58:55 PM »

I don't think I have watched any of her other videos.  I'm not sure how I found the original one, but it apparently stuck with me.  I will have to venture down that rabbit hole someday soon.

It was interesting, though the other ones are a bit longer than the one you linked. I watched "Going from fanfic to pro" talking about strengths and weakness fanfic writers have on a whole and then I watched the one about filing serial numbers off fanfic. And at the end she was talking about that Harry Styles one and said something like, "If you're already writing RPF AU, then you should probably just be writing your own novel." And I was like, maybe? The evidence seems compelling enough, but also... fandom.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #516 on: January 15, 2021, 10:02:52 PM »

She was trashy though, with her smoking and shoplifting LOL.  Plus, there's never been total agreement on whether it's Julie or Jodie.  Most of the lyrics sites say Jodie.  This is something I would love for the Boys to clarify for us someday because it's hard to tell.  Poster Girl is my least favorite song on Never Gone, but I liked it a little better when I thought it had my pen name in it.

I know, which is why I didn't mention it originally. Can't name a kid after a named woman who commits petty theft. Madeleine's just off dreaming, having some hard times, and being supported.

I have never heard Jodie, but that doesn't mean my ears aren't deceiving me. However, I would be willing to wager that it is Juli-a. It's probably my least favorite song too. This is what needs to be asked instead of "boxers of briefs" or whatever other inane questions have been answered a million times.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #517 on: January 15, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »

They should have just printed the lyrics in their liner notes!  Why'd they stop doing that for all their songs?  It was so helpful.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #518 on: January 15, 2021, 10:10:17 PM »

I have no idea! I loved it. No questions or deep googling. One thing the internet brought the downfall of, now we have to rely on what people think they hear.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #519 on: January 15, 2021, 10:25:17 PM »

Anyone besides Julie and I have a long weekend that they're hoping to use for writing?

Here's another one, describe what you've got going on writing-wise in five words or less, but cryptically. Like I couldn't say "I'm editing PBox" and Julie can't say "Bethlehem."

Here's a writing quote for the weekend:

"Never write anything that does not give you great pleasure. Emotion is easily transferred from the writer to the reader." -- Joseph Joubert

Also, Nick insisted that this should be the quote that you read, so... here's another one?:

"First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him!" -- Ray Bradbury
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #520 on: January 15, 2021, 10:35:50 PM »

Anyone besides Julie and I have a long weekend that they're hoping to use for writing?

Here's another one, describe what you've got going on writing-wise in five words or less, but cryptically. Like I couldn't say "I'm editing PBox" and Julie can't say "Bethlehem."

Here's a writing quote for the weekend:

"Never write anything that does not give you great pleasure. Emotion is easily transferred from the writer to the reader." -- Joseph Joubert

Weekend goal: Finish Chapter 20.

I love this quote!  I just watched another one of Alexa's videos, "What Fanfic Can Teach You About Writing" (https://youtu.be/gG-LpRqIlYM), and one of the things she talks about is how fanfic helps you figure out what tropes readers like to read.  For the most part, I write what I like to read and hope there are others out there who will like reading it too.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #521 on: January 15, 2021, 10:47:38 PM »

Weekend goal: Finish Chapter 20.

I love this quote!  I just watched another one of Alexa's videos, "What Fanfic Can Teach You About Writing" (https://youtu.be/gG-LpRqIlYM), and one of the things she talks about is how fanfic helps you figure out what tropes readers like to read.  For the most part, I write what I like to read and hope there are others out there who will like reading it too.

Editing my favorite, oh noes!

I didn't watch that one yet, but I loved when she brought up tropes in the fanfic to pro one. I think it's true, fanfic writers have a real handle on tropes. Which is great, because I love them.

Same, I write things I would like to read (and things Nick wants me to write), so I have at least two fans for sure, haha.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #522 on: January 15, 2021, 10:48:12 PM »

I guess that's a writing related question that I think I posted in the wrong place originally... What are everyone's favorite tropes?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #523 on: January 15, 2021, 11:50:10 PM »

I guess that's a writing related question that I think I posted in the wrong place originally... What are everyone's favorite tropes?

I'm a sucker for hurt/comfort stories!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #524 on: January 16, 2021, 12:02:31 AM »

I'm a sucker for hurt/comfort stories!

Any reason in particular? Other than the squees of the hurt one being comforted?

I've mentioned my love of Band of Brothers/Family of Choice/True Companions many times.

I'm also a sucker for "The Power of Friendship" because I just love characters that know they're stronger together (see: Band of Brothers/Family of Choice/True Companions above).

You can also always get me with a Bright Lady/White Knight dynamic and I am also a sucker for Magical Girl stories no matter the intended age demographic, but that does not really apply to the Boys... Although PBox might be a Magical Boy story?
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50