Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 145964 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #585 on: January 18, 2021, 05:36:30 PM »

I've been working on this chapter of If I Knew Then and it's been difficult because like I said before, it's a Brian centric chapter. It's a out his heart surgery. I am having a bit of trouble with how I want this one to go because I know a lot of my readers are excited to read it and I don't want to disappoint them. Not to mention I never really go into details when it comes to medical stuff cause I don't know anything about it. So that's a bit challenging for me as well.

Either way I feel like this chapter might take me a little longer to write. I did watch some videos with Brian talking about the surgery and those helped a little bit.

Ooh, first person accounts. Always good!

I don't want to volunteer her services when she has other things going on, but I know there's someone in this thread who loves writing about medical stuff and could be a good sounding board for you!

I'm sending you good vibes.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #586 on: January 18, 2021, 07:02:25 PM »

So, just for fun, I decided to look and see how often I wrote the Boys' names in PBox and it is... eye opening. This is only chapters 1-40, since I haven't finished editing the last five yet.

So AJ is only in chapters 27-40 (but doesn't physically appear in four of them), so his is a little less, but some variation of AJ/Alexander/Alex appears 221 times.

Kevin is in chapters 18-40 (but doesn't physically appear in eight of those) and his name appears 282 times.

Brian is in chapters 12-40 (but doesn't physically appear in ten of those) and his name appears 457 times.

Howie is in chapters 5-40 (but doesn't physically appear in fourteen of those, oops) and some variation of Howie/Howard/Your Majesty/His Majesty appears 379 times (still more than AJ or Kevin, I guess?)

I'm embarrassed to say how much Nick jumps... haha...  :(  :blushes:

Nick's in chapters 2-40 (but doesn't physically appear in eleven of them), but his name still appears 1,541 times! Is this a case of clear author favoritism? Probably! And none of those are "nick" as in "to steal" or "a small cut," I avoid using them in BSB fanfics because Nick exists in universe. His name is over 1% of all the words I've lovingly written in the first 40 chapters of PBox... Oy... In case you were wondering, dark/darkness is only 0.29% of the words I've written in those chapters (but it does appear more than the other Boys' names except for Brian).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 07:15:11 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #587 on: January 18, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »

I've been working on this chapter of If I Knew Then and it's been difficult because like I said before, it's a Brian centric chapter. It's a out his heart surgery. I am having a bit of trouble with how I want this one to go because I know a lot of my readers are excited to read it and I don't want to disappoint them. Not to mention I never really go into details when it comes to medical stuff cause I don't know anything about it. So that's a bit challenging for me as well.

Either way I feel like this chapter might take me a little longer to write. I did watch some videos with Brian talking about the surgery and those helped a little bit.

Have you ever read the chapter he wrote for the book "Taking on Heart Disease"?  You can read it on Google Books: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Taking_on_Heart_Disease/j-Pc9RfM2DoC?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=brian%20littrell  Hopefully this link will work.  It's a really good, detailed account of his surgery.  It also has a little bit about the aftermath and going back on tour.  Hopefully it will help!

Ooh, first person accounts. Always good!

I don't want to volunteer her services when she has other things going on, but I know there's someone in this thread who loves writing about medical stuff and could be a good sounding board for you!

I'm sending you good vibes.

Haha, here I am!  Happy to help if needed.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #588 on: January 18, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »

So, just for fun, I decided to look and see how often I wrote the Boys' names in PBox and it is... eye opening. This is only chapters 1-40, since I haven't finished editing the last five yet.

So AJ is only in chapters 27-40 (but doesn't physically appear in four of them), so his is a little less, but some variation of AJ/Alexander/Alex appears 221 times.

Kevin is in chapters 18-40 (but doesn't physically appear in eight of those) and his name appears 282 times.

Brian is in chapters 12-40 (but doesn't physically appear in ten of those) and his name appears 457 times.

Howie is in chapters 5-40 (but doesn't physically appear in fourteen of those, oops) and some variation of Howie/Howard/Your Majesty/His Majesty appears 379 times (still more than AJ or Kevin, I guess?)

I'm embarrassed to say how much Nick jumps... haha...  :(  :blushes:

Nick's in chapters 2-40 (but doesn't physically appear in eleven of them), but his name still appears 1,541 times! Is this a case of clear author favoritism? Probably! And none of those are "nick" as in "to steal" or "a small cut," I avoid using them in BSB fanfics because Nick exists in universe. His name is over 1% of all the words I've lovingly written in the first 40 chapters of PBox... Oy... In case you were wondering, dark/darkness is only 0.29% of the words I've written in those chapters (but it does appear more than the other Boys' names except for Brian).

LOL No shame.  Nick is your favorite, and from the way you talk about it, it seems like the story centers mostly on him.  If I counted names in my stories, I would probably have more Nicks too.  And he's not even my favorite.  He just tends to dominate my ideas, as he does for a lot of us here.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #589 on: January 18, 2021, 07:41:45 PM »

Btw, I just finished Bethlehem!  Now I'm going to make some dinner and watch some TV and do something other than stare at my computer for the last few hours of my Monday... but I may be back later! :)
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #590 on: January 18, 2021, 07:53:53 PM »

He just tends to dominate my ideas, as he does for a lot of us here.

Nick, stop being so dominating! >:(

I just feel bad that it's over three times as much as the others and Brian's in second place is a distant second at best.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #591 on: January 18, 2021, 07:54:43 PM »

Btw, I just finished Bethlehem!  Now I'm going to make some dinner and watch some TV and do something other than stare at my computer for the last few hours of my Monday... but I may be back later! :)

Yay!!! Confetti and party hats for you! Run far away from the computer! Avoid it!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #592 on: January 18, 2021, 09:43:02 PM »

Thanks!  I am already back and just finished reading over the last chapter and doing a bit of editing.  It's hard to walk away!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #593 on: January 18, 2021, 09:55:43 PM »

I applaud your diligence. You can still have confetti and a party hat.

I am 59.5 pages away from being all done editing. Probably. There's probably more I could edit, to be honest. I accidentally started re-editing Kevin's chapter when I was supposed to be editing AJ's last week, so that tells me work is never done. :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:57:25 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #594 on: January 18, 2021, 10:38:46 PM »

Eh, it's not so much diligence as wanting to bask in the glow of a newly finished story LOL.  That is one of the best feelings.

That's so true.  I can usually find something to change or fix every time I reread a chapter.  I stop doing major editing once I've posted a chapter and only edit to fix typos I find after the fact, but I can almost always find more I would write differently if I were writing it now.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #595 on: January 18, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »

I actually tried the link from my phone and even my IPad and laptop and couldnt get it to work for me. so I looked it up and kept saying that it doesnt have a E Book version that I could just skip to the part about Brian, but I appreciate you trying to help me. I've been working on this chapter all day. Rewrote things twice. I'm still plugging away, though.

Have you ever read the chapter he wrote for the book "Taking on Heart Disease"?  You can read it on Google Books: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Taking_on_Heart_Disease/j-Pc9RfM2DoC?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=brian%20littrell  Hopefully this link will work.  It's a really good, detailed account of his surgery.  It also has a little bit about the aftermath and going back on tour.  Hopefully it will help!

Haha, here I am!  Happy to help if needed.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #596 on: January 18, 2021, 10:52:41 PM »

Eh, it's not so much diligence as wanting to bask in the glow of a newly finished story LOL.  That is one of the best feelings.

Oh man, it's been a long time since I finished a story, I don't remember that feeling! I guess I enjoyed writing my holiday story, posting it, and then thinking "I never have to worry about this again!" Though Nick in the candle shop pops into my head sometimes and I laugh a lot every time it pops up. Someone got me a candle in my secret santa gift at work and I laughed so hard to myself. Not sure if you read it, but here:

I sniffed a candle. Blegh, pine barf. I glared at it. First snow? What a weird name for pine barf. I plopped it back on the shelf. Does Kevin even like candles? That seems more like a Howie or AJ thing. Ocean breeze? I picked it up and sniffed it. Blegh. What is that?! That doesn’t even smell like an ocean. It’s not salty enough… It smells... sweet? Like it’s trying to be candy instead of an ocean. Sandy beaches? I picked it up.

I don’t want a lot for Christmas...

Arg! I have to get out of here! Why is everyone playing this song?! Sandy beaches, I bet you smell terrible anyway! I put it back on the shelf, then power walked out of the store.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #597 on: January 18, 2021, 10:54:26 PM »

I actually tried the link from my phone and even my IPad and laptop and couldnt get it to work for me. so I looked it up and kept saying that it doesnt have a E Book version that I could just skip to the part about Brian, but I appreciate you trying to help me. I've been working on this chapter all day. Rewrote things twice. I'm still plugging away, though.

I just clicked on it on my laptop in incognito mode and it went right to it. Maybe try that?

I died that his doctor called them the "Backdoor Boys" when he mentioned the band to his daughter and it was published in the book that way, haha.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:56:17 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #598 on: January 18, 2021, 10:56:02 PM »

I rarely use my laptop because I get frustrated with it LOL. I got a chromebook like last year as a christmas present to myself, it came with the laptop and a scanner/printer. I hardly am ever home to actually use it but I'm using it tonight.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #599 on: January 18, 2021, 10:56:50 PM »

I have a chromebook too! Try incognito mode, it went straight to it.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50