Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146233 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #615 on: January 19, 2021, 07:23:28 PM »

Which of your unfinished projects (if you have more than one) would you most like to finish?

I have to go with Guilty Roads because it has the most potential and the most readers wanting to see it finished.  Maybe someday.

Loved all your answers to the first one. Just know there's always someday. I'd say never write off anything unless you're 100% positive it's a dead end for you. If you have even a little interest, don't worry about it too much.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #616 on: January 19, 2021, 07:25:05 PM »

I mean, there is that "Nick is Brian's guardian angel" story that might be calling me, haha.

I actually have the next two and a half chapters of Gobosei written from way back when, but never posted. Plus some random ramblings from different points in the story. I peeked over it a moment ago since I remembered that I'd written at least something that I never posted and found this gem of a joke:

Nick put both hands on the floor excitedly.  “She said she wanted to be a pop star, we could make her our opening act!”

Brian mimicked dialing a phone, “Hey, EYC, listen, you guys have been great so far, but we’ve decided to replace you with someone without a record label or any songs or references.  We hope you understand.”  Brian stared right at Nick and pretended to hang up the fake phone.

Nick rolled his eyes, “Okay…  Well if she can sing, she can probably dance.  We can make her one of our background dancers!”

Brian cleared his throat.  “Hey Backstreet dancers, we’ve called this meeting to let you know that you’re disappointing us.  We can’t say who in particular really, you just are.  So we’re replacing one of you with this girl halfway through the tour!  Of course she doesn’t have to audition.  Dance off!!”

Nick rolled his eyes again, “Brian, Brian, Brian, I get it…  The joke is old.  Stop…”

Howie blinked, “Nick’s annoyed at Brian’s jokes?  We really have seen everything tonight.”

LMAO!  Love the mocking of many a teenybopper fanfic from back in the day.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #617 on: January 19, 2021, 07:27:05 PM »

Loved all your answers to the first one. Just know there's always someday. I'd say never write off anything unless you're 100% positive it's a dead end for you. If you have even a little interest, don't worry about it too much.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel.  It's still listed on my "Projects in Progress" menu on my site, and I haven't given it the "discontinued" label because I'm not ready to give up on it yet.  I just keep hoping maybe someday I'll feel inspired again, but I've stopped trying to force it.  If it's meant to be, it'll happen.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #618 on: January 19, 2021, 07:41:22 PM »

LMAO!  Love the mocking of many a teenybopper fanfic from back in the day.

Thanks, that was the intent and it still holds up. It actually kept going through several other BSB adjacent careers like publicist and roadie (all with comments about necessary qualifications) until someone finally said "personal assistant" and Nick has to pay for it because "he's the only one invested in these new super powers." haha. But those first two were definitely the funnier of the bunch.

Edited to add: I started skimming through some of it in more detail and the Boys' banter is cracking me up. There's a point where AJ says "Can we go back and talk about why we're all so calm that Nick broke the window?" And then Nick, completely straight faced, just pats his arm and says, "The skeleton broke the window." And then another part where Kevin shoves Nick into a couch and yells "Of course you were minding your own business and a skeleton started stalking you!" And Nick starts long-windedly trying to explain that he was minding his own business and AJ responds "Yes Nick... Just ramble it to more death. I'm sure it will just get bored and leave!" Gobosei, I'm so sorry you got pushed to the side for PBox. You had many more funny moments.

Edited to add again: Brian's summarizing their day and "Nick started a fire in a nightclub" is one of the things in the list followed shortly by "I can't believe this is all the same day as our concert." I don't think I originally meant this to be so comedic, but maybe that's the way I should be leaning it if I go back to it.

Edited to add... again: "Like Kevin said, we don't have to be wearing the armor and stuff." "Yes, I clearly said 'and stuff,' Nick." I'm dying.

Edited to add, last time, I swear: Nick blinked. "There is nothing I understand about this."  :D

Yep, that's exactly how I feel.  It's still listed on my "Projects in Progress" menu on my site, and I haven't given it the "discontinued" label because I'm not ready to give up on it yet.  I just keep hoping maybe someday I'll feel inspired again, but I've stopped trying to force it.  If it's meant to be, it'll happen.

In the meantime, write things that seem exciting and fun. No sense in forcing inspiration, that's how you kill it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:28:55 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #619 on: January 19, 2021, 07:44:50 PM »

Oh, here's a fun one:

What's something you would absolutely go back and tell your younger self about writing (fanfics or otherwise) if you could?

And, what's something you would be hesitant to tell your younger self?

Alternatively, is there anything you wish your younger self could tell you from way back when?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #620 on: January 19, 2021, 09:10:41 PM »

Gobosei, I'm so sorry you got pushed to the side for PBox. You had many more funny moments.

This is exactly what happened to Guilty Roads too.  Darn pushy ideas!  I hope you'll go back to Gobosei one day and keep writing funny moments.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #621 on: January 19, 2021, 09:42:28 PM »

This is exactly what happened to Guilty Roads too.  Darn pushy ideas!  I hope you'll go back to Gobosei one day and keep writing funny moments.

PBox Nick is more demanding than Gobosei Nick. If Gobosei Nick were equally as demanding, then I probably would finish it.

I think the problem was that PBox was so pushy, but then I also had the added issue of having to change Gobosei from script format to a novelization for the first two chapters and it was... time consuming.

Like it was one thing to have a little script where I wrote "Nick looked down at himself, he has transformed." And then draw this picture of him looking at his outfit. But then on top of that decide to write: Nick looked down, following the eyes of the other four. *Proceed to describe clothing in 180 words* Nick’s surprise matched everyone else’s. He jumped from his kneeling position and began waving his arms frantically and screaming.

And that chunk is probably still not as interesting as his face in the picture (edited: figured you all deserved to see him screaming too). Though I'm sure I could make it more interesting now that I've had more practice and time writing epics and comedies.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:53:05 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #622 on: January 19, 2021, 09:45:22 PM »

What story felt most satisfying to finish and why? 

Probably my Nick and Amanda series, which took me 10 years to write. It felt so satisfying to finish that. I did kind of start a spin off that was centered on Brian finding his girlfriend on the internet in a Star Wars chat room.

Which of your unfinished projects (if you have more than one) would you most like to finish?

I have so many. That’s one reason I’m excited that I picked up writing If I Knew Then again, because I was worried it would be unfinished forever. Back to the question though, I’d love to finish Take Me Home, my science fiction story.

[/quote]

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #623 on: January 19, 2021, 09:54:47 PM »

What story felt most satisfying to finish and why? 

Probably my Nick and Amanda series, which took me 10 years to write. It felt so satisfying to finish that. I did kind of start a spin off that was centered on Brian finding his girlfriend on the internet in a Star Wars chat room.

I have so many. That’s one reason I’m excited that I picked up writing If I Knew Then again, because I was worried it would be unfinished forever. Back to the question though, I’d love to finish Take Me Home, my science fiction story.

I think the longer you spend working on something, the more satisfying it feels when it's finished. I'm glad you did finish it! I'm also intrigued by Brian finding a girlfriend via chatroom.

I believe in you! Keep finishing old things!
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #624 on: January 19, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »

I think the longer you spend working on something, the more satisfying it feels when it's finished. I'm glad you did finish it! I'm also intrigued by Brian finding a girlfriend via chatroom.

I believe in you! Keep finishing old things!

Yes my readers thought that was an interesting idea too. In the story he’s a cop...well got promoted to detective, so he’s a detective. He meets this girl from Texas online in Star Wars role play and they hit it off. She’s a college student studying child development. It’s a AU, a spin off of Nick and Amanda, where Nick is a singer but a solo artist. So in that story he has two kids and ends up hiring the girl Brian is dating as his nanny. This new story is basically telling how they met, cause at the end of the Nick and Amanda series they actually are engaged.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #625 on: January 19, 2021, 10:07:35 PM »

Yes my readers thought that was an interesting idea too. In the story he’s a cop...well got promoted to detective, so he’s a detective. He meets this girl from Texas online in Star Wars role play and they hit it off. She’s a college student studying child development. It’s a AU, a spin off of Nick and Amanda, where Nick is a singer but a solo artist. So in that story he has two kids and ends up hiring the girl Brian is dating as his nanny. This new story is basically telling how they met, cause at the end of the Nick and Amanda series they actually are engaged.

I'm laughing at Brian doing Star Wars role play online. What a "they're just like us" moment.
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #626 on: January 19, 2021, 10:19:43 PM »

Lol i thought it was something different.

I likely won’t be posting that one any time soon, I’m looking at maybe posting the group story I had started which is titled “History” after the song by One Direction. It takes place in 2011/2012 right when Kevin was about to come back to the group. While its a group story it centers around Nick and Kevin. So it’s a brotherly type group story. I’m more inclined to post that than a Brian centered romance that I don’t know if anyone would even be interested in considering everything going on with Brian in real life.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #627 on: January 19, 2021, 10:28:51 PM »

More Nick and Kevin! They melt my heart every time.

I figure it could either be the worst time or the best time to write and post Brian-centered stories. Maybe people want to escape into fanfic Brian?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #628 on: January 19, 2021, 10:29:44 PM »

What's something you would absolutely go back and tell your younger self about writing (fanfics or otherwise) if you could?

Hey there, younger self!  I know you're excited, but you don't have to post everything you write immediately after writing it.  Also, you should really look stuff up on the internet instead of relying on Lurlene McDaniel books from the '80s for your medical research.  There's this new search engine called Google.  It's going to be a game-changer!

And, what's something you would be hesitant to tell your younger self?

I know you're, like, totally in love with Brian Littrell and think he's perfect, but he's actually not.  And Nick is not so bad.  Believe it or not, someday you'll run out of Brian ideas and start writing Nick stories instead.

Alternatively, is there anything you wish your younger self could tell you from way back when?

OMG, I can't believe you're 35 and still writing BSB fanfic.  I'm, like, so embarrassed for you, future self.  But if you're seriously gonna keep doing this, you should really stop overthinking every word and just WRITE!  You may be better than me, but I'm much faster!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #629 on: January 19, 2021, 10:32:58 PM »

I’m excited that I picked up writing If I Knew Then again, because I was worried it would be unfinished forever.

I'm glad you came back to it too!  I'm really enjoying this story.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50