Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146098 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #660 on: January 21, 2021, 09:19:28 PM »

I've written entire chapters on my phone.

Figured You Out and Finding Carter, were novels I wrote entirely on my blackberry phone. Plus most of my Nick and Amanda series was written completely mobile too.

Oh man! How is that? Does your phone have a little keyboard attachment? Do your eyes hurt from staring at the tiny screen for so long?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #661 on: January 21, 2021, 09:52:51 PM »

It was so hard. Cause I didn't have Google docs then. So what I had to do was write it out in my yahoo email drafts then copy and paste it to AC. It's why a lot of those chapters are only 1,000 to 1,100 ish words long and are very short. My hands would hurt if I typed for top long. It's a lot easier with Google docs and the touch screen phone.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #662 on: January 21, 2021, 09:54:55 PM »

Are you still writing most of your work via mobile? Color me impressed, essentially! That's a labor of love for sure.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #663 on: January 21, 2021, 10:06:45 PM »

Describe what you've got going on writing-wise in five words or less, but cryptically.

This is my new favorite game. Couldn't decide again, but have to go with either:

"Taking a six month hiatus!" or "You shouldn't have [spoiler]died, Brian[/spoiler]!"
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #664 on: January 21, 2021, 10:33:49 PM »

I write maybe 50/50 now. Sometimes I'll still write on my phone if I don't feel like getting my iPad out.

Are you still writing most of your work via mobile? Color me impressed, essentially! That's a labor of love for sure.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #665 on: January 21, 2021, 10:59:05 PM »

I tried writing on my tablet and I hated it for anything long term. It's just too small. I'm very pleased to have a laptop again.

Would you say you use the phone or laptop for different types of writing or just a "mood" thing?
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #666 on: January 21, 2021, 11:07:25 PM »

If I'm home I prefer using the iPad because I have a Bluetooth keyboard for it so it's like a laptop. I also have a laptop that I use mostly for gaming, but I like writing on the iPad more. Not sure why that is, I think i just like the keyboard that I use.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #667 on: January 21, 2021, 11:17:54 PM »

I think keyboard has a lot to do with it. Getting a keyboard for my tablet was a game changer! But, now I barely use it at all. Now if I could have a huge screen for my laptop, that would be awesome! Maybe someday, I'll be one of those people with multiple monitors, except it won't be for games, it will be for writing, research, and maybe rabbit holes.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #668 on: January 22, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »

Speaking of, when you're reading fanfics, do you just read them in your inner voice or do you hear an approximation of the Boys' voices in your head if they're speaking?

I hear an approximation of the Boys' voices, at least for the dialogue.  That's how I decide if it sounds like something they would say or not.  I think that's why dialogue is so important and why we've all said we enjoy banter.  The dialogue is what makes the characters believable and, in our case, recognizable as the Boys.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #669 on: January 22, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »

OMG, I just told my husband that I was writing a really emotional death scene and had to get back to work. The look on his face was sheer pricelessness. He will definitely never ask me about my writing ever again.

Hahaha!!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #670 on: January 22, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »

Tracy, I still don't know how you wrote whole novels on your phone.  That is dedication!  I do most of my writing on my Chromebook, occasionally on my desktop, and only very rarely on my phone - like Dee said, if I have an idea while I'm not near a computer or am trying to keep a writing streak going but too lazy to actually sit down at a computer and write for real LOL.

I thought of a new answer to the "Weirdest place you've written" question.  I don't know if it's really weird or not, but I love writing in the shower.  I do my best thinking in the shower, so I often write in my head, but I keep a set of bathtub crayons on hand for when I get on a roll or come up with a line so good I need to write it down before I forget it.  I have scribbled whole paragraphs across my shower walls, which end up looking like the ramblings of a raving lunatic LOL - good thing I live alone.  I also once used voice-to-text to dictate Brian's speech in the last chapter of AHTIM to my Chromebook while I was showering because I was on such a roll, but needed to get ready for work LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #671 on: January 22, 2021, 07:07:11 PM »

I hear an approximation of the Boys' voices, at least for the dialogue.  That's how I decide if it sounds like something they would say or not.  I think that's why dialogue is so important and why we've all said we enjoy banter.  The dialogue is what makes the characters believable and, in our case, recognizable as the Boys.

Sometimes Kevin and Howie get a little off in my head, then I watch an interview or something to get back on track. Maybe that's why they scream in my head less.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #672 on: January 22, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »

but too lazy to actually sit down at a computer and write for real LOL.

It's why I wrote two words on my husband's birthday. I've actually written something down, either new or via editing every day since November 1st. Not sure how long I can keep this pace up, but for now, go me!

I thought of a new answer to the "Weirdest place you've written" question.  I don't know if it's really weird or not, but I love writing in the shower.  I do my best thinking in the shower, so I often write in my head, but I keep a set of bathtub crayons on hand for when I get on a roll or come up with a line so good I need to write it down before I forget it.  I have scribbled whole paragraphs across my shower walls, which end up looking like the ramblings of a raving lunatic LOL - good thing I live alone.  I also once used voice-to-text to dictate Brian's speech in the last chapter of AHTIM to my Chromebook while I was showering because I was on such a roll, but needed to get ready for work LOL.

I love that you have bathtub crayons! I don't write in the shower because I think my hand would cramp up. However, I definitely brainstorm in the shower! Any time I'm puzzling over something or if Nick's being a dick about something, if I need to shower and pacing hasn't worked, I'll usually shower. I have repeated a few things to myself so I can remember them as soon as I get out and write them down then.

Work is the worst. We should get paid to write fanfics. Did I ever say that I wished I was majoring in fanfics in college? Because that would have been awesome. I would have gotten so much more done!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #673 on: January 22, 2021, 08:34:13 PM »

It's why I wrote two words on my husband's birthday. I've actually written something down, either new or via editing every day since November 1st. Not sure how long I can keep this pace up, but for now, go me!

I love that you have bathtub crayons! I don't write in the shower because I think my hand would cramp up. However, I definitely brainstorm in the shower! Any time I'm puzzling over something or if Nick's being a dick about something, if I need to shower and pacing hasn't worked, I'll usually shower. I have repeated a few things to myself so I can remember them as soon as I get out and write them down then.

Work is the worst. We should get paid to write fanfics. Did I ever say that I wished I was majoring in fanfics in college? Because that would have been awesome. I would have gotten so much more done!

Good for you!  I've definitely done the thing where I open the story and write exactly one word just so I can stay I kept the writing streak alive LOL.  But every word moves the story forward, and eventually one of those words will spark a sentence that ignites a paragraph that turns into a scene.

Someone gave me the idea to get the bathtub crayons probably 10+ years ago after I was talking about getting ideas in the shower.  I don't use them a lot (I still have the same set I got like 10 years ago LOL), but they're nice for those moments when I really do need to write it down.

Yes!  I would love to get paid for writing fanfics.  Only I wouldn't want it to feel like work.  I'm fine with giving myself deadlines, but I don't want anyone else to set them for me.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #674 on: January 22, 2021, 09:12:41 PM »

Good for you!  I've definitely done the thing where I open the story and write exactly one word just so I can stay I kept the writing streak alive LOL.  But every word moves the story forward, and eventually one of those words will spark a sentence that ignites a paragraph that turns into a scene.

It feels a little cheap, but it's probably fine as long as it's not a competition or something. If it's just you versus you, write as much or as little as you want.

Someone gave me the idea to get the bathtub crayons probably 10+ years ago after I was talking about getting ideas in the shower.  I don't use them a lot (I still have the same set I got like 10 years ago LOL), but they're nice for those moments when I really do need to write it down.

Yes!  I would love to get paid for writing fanfics.  Only I wouldn't want it to feel like work.  I'm fine with giving myself deadlines, but I don't want anyone else to set them for me.

At least you don't write a lot of murder-based stories, because those shower scrawlings could get a little weird!

No, of course no. It's getting paid to do something you love, so you get a lump sum when you start a story and then another lump sum when it's over. And views and reviews give you incentive bonuses or something.

Then if you decide to start putting out crud to get paid faster, that's on you. ;)
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50