Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 160057 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 22, 2021, 09:27:37 PM »

While I keep writing emotional death scenes, here are some fun random questions for everyone:

How many words can you write in a minute?

What's the weirdest thing you've ever researched?

If you could ask one of the Boys one question to help with your writing, who would you ask and what would that question be?

Would you rather only write self-insert fanfics or have to write about only one of the Boys and his wife for every story? Why?

If you spent an hour "writing" how much of it would be dedicated solely to putting words on the page?

What's your go-to writing snack?

Imagine a world where pet peeves are no longer allowed: Which fanfic pet peeve would be the hardest for you to give up?

Of all the old fanfic cliches, which one is your guilty pleasure?

Share with us the last word you wrote down. If it's not a spoiler, tell us the last sentence.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #676 on: January 22, 2021, 09:40:48 PM »

It feels a little cheap, but it's probably fine as long as it's not a competition or something. If it's just you versus you, write as much or as little as you want.

Oh, it definitely felt like cheating, but it at least kept me opening the story every day for months, which made me more productive in the long run.

At least you don't write a lot of murder-based stories, because those shower scrawlings could get a little weird!

LOL They definitely get weird.  I technically killed Nick on the wall of the shower in my old apartment.  It's most fun when I write in red, and then it looks like blood as the water makes the letters run.  I may have had "Redrum" scrawled on the wall of said apartment shower for months just for fun and then had a hard time getting it off when it was time to move LOL.

No, of course no. It's getting paid to do something you love, so you get a lump sum when you start a story and then another lump sum when it's over. And views and reviews give you incentive bonuses or something.

Then if you decide to start putting out crud to get paid faster, that's on you. ;)

Yes!  That sounds like a perfect way to do it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #677 on: January 22, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »

Oh, it definitely felt like cheating, but it at least kept me opening the story every day for months, which made me more productive in the long run.

I've actually liked writing every day again. So I may keep trying, just to see what happens. Now if I could be better about other habits this way, haha. I complained about that to my husband and he said, "Sounds like an easy way to be an alcoholic." Clearly I meant going on a walk every day or something, Nick...  ::)

LOL They definitely get weird.  I technically killed Nick on the wall of the shower in my old apartment.  It's most fun when I write in red, and then it looks like blood as the water makes the letters run.  I may have had "Redrum" scrawled on the wall of said apartment shower for months just for fun and then had a hard time getting it off when it was time to move LOL.

I was hoping you had something like redrum or nivekllik on your wall with the letters running (and it's a joy knowing it's true), but I'm sure those are impossible to clean if you leave them up too long!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #678 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:32 PM »

So I got stuck trying to make Nick turn Minako when he's standing behind her and doodling did not help, so I made my husband act it out with me with only the information "We're standing like this and you want me to turn around, but you can't tell me that. What do you do?" I've forced him to get involved in my writing, oh no! Except I walked down and said: "I need your help, I have a question!" And his answer was "No, I don't like AJ." "What?" "I thought you were going to ask me who my least favorite Backstreet Boy was and I don't know the other three." "Kevin, Brian, and Howie..." "Howie? Oh yeah, **** him." "Aww, Howie!  :(" "Was that the wrong answer? Are you still killing people in your book, maybe you should kill Howie." "Aww, Howie! :( I'm not killing Backstreet Boys..."

Yes I am. He knows! He's been reading it while I'm sleeping or something.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #679 on: January 22, 2021, 10:14:16 PM »

I've actually liked writing every day again. So I may keep trying, just to see what happens. Now if I could be better about other habits this way, haha. I complained about that to my husband and he said, "Sounds like an easy way to be an alcoholic." Clearly I meant going on a walk every day or something, Nick...  ::)

I like it when I'm inspired.  I don't like it when it feels forced.  But forcing it is part of the process sometimes.  I did not set a resolution to write every day this year, but I've been writing every weekend for a while now, so it will feel weird not to tomorrow.  Or maybe I will?  I haven't decided if I'm going to try or just take a break for at least one weekend.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I, too, wish I could be better at sticking with other habits, like working out LOL.

I was hoping you had something like redrum or nivekllik on your wall with the letters running (and it's a joy knowing it's true), but I'm sure those are impossible to clean if you leave them up too long!

You know it!  But yeah, I have learned to quickly type up what I wrote or at least take a picture and then wipe it off because otherwise it will stain.  It runs so much, it gets hard to read pretty quickly anyway.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #680 on: January 22, 2021, 10:16:11 PM »

So I got stuck trying to make Nick turn Minako when he's standing behind her and doodling did not help, so I made my husband act it out with me with only the information "We're standing like this and you want me to turn around, but you can't tell me that. What do you do?" I've forced him to get involved in my writing, oh no! Except I walked down and said: "I need your help, I have a question!" And his answer was "No, I don't like AJ." "What?" "I thought you were going to ask me who my least favorite Backstreet Boy was and I don't know the other three." "Kevin, Brian, and Howie..." "Howie? Oh yeah, **** him." "Aww, Howie!  :(" "Was that the wrong answer? Are you still killing people in your book, maybe you should kill Howie." "Aww, Howie! :( I'm not killing Backstreet Boys..."

Yes I am. He knows! He's been reading it while I'm sleeping or something.

LMAO!!  Your husband cracks me up.  I love that you get him to act out parts of your fanfic for you without him knowing any details LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #681 on: January 22, 2021, 10:22:17 PM »

I like it when I'm inspired.  I don't like it when it feels forced.  But forcing it is part of the process sometimes.  I did not set a resolution to write every day this year, but I've been writing every weekend for a while now, so it will feel weird not to tomorrow.  Or maybe I will?  I haven't decided if I'm going to try or just take a break for at least one weekend.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I, too, wish I could be better at sticking with other habits, like working out LOL.

Let me know how it goes! But I think if you decide to take a break, you've definitely earned it. I feel like if I stop writing every day, it will feel a little weird now that it's just a thing I've been doing.

Same on the exercise. I need to be much more consistent about it than I am. The lock downs definitely derailed any consistency I had with that.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #682 on: January 22, 2021, 10:30:09 PM »

LMAO!!  Your husband cracks me up.  I love that you get him to act out parts of your fanfic for you without him knowing any details LOL.

He's one of those "man of few words" types unless he knows you really well, then he's pretty chatty. Everyone's always surprised when he audibly laughs, for instance. I tell him everything, but I know he would make so much fun of me if I said I was writing BSB fanfics again, let alone BSB fanfics in the fantasy genre and I'm not quite ready for that loving teasing yet. However, he'll always help me with whatever, so it's nice to know he's a willing participant when it requires minimal effort. Now we gotta go climb out a moonroof or something! haha!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #683 on: January 22, 2021, 11:14:08 PM »

Ooh, these are fun!

According to the typing test I just took, I can type 110 words per minute at 100% accuracy. (https://www.typingtest.com/result.html?acc=100&nwpm=110&gwpm=110&ncpm=554&gcpm=554&dur=60&time=60&chksum=55413&unit=wpm&kh=998&td=null&err=0&hits=554&textfile=mediumText.txt)  So I guess technically, that's how many words I can write in a minute.  How many words do I write in a minute when I'm actually writing fanfic?  Maybe 3-5 on average? LOL

Oh jeez.  I don't even know.  I took a look through my story research bookmarks because I have them all saved dating back to BMS, and here are a few of the weirder or more random ones:
- Stained glass cremation urns
- How much caffeine it would take to kill you (https://www.caffeineinformer.com/death-by-caffeine)
- Florida crops in season
- Slapped cheek syndrome
- How to do a peritoneal tap to drain ascites fluid
- Medical Student Curriculum: Bladder Drainage
- Smalleye hammerhead shark
- How to milk a cow using a milking machine
- Skunk Ape Research Headquarters
- Parts of a pirate vessel
- How ice rinks work
- Can platypuses kill people?
- Necrophilia
- 9 Dangerous Things in New Hampshire That Could Kill You
- Fog types
- How to Keep Bears Away
- Pee Perimeter

If you could ask one of the Boys one question to help with your writing, who would you ask and what would that question be?

That is a good one and a tough one.  I am not sure right now, but I can tell you my answer from five years ago.  I would ask Nick, "What the hell are you singing before 'dreams' in 'Cherry Pie'?"  "___ dreams... ice cream skin..."  For the life of me, I could not figure out what kind of dreams he was singing about before the physical copy of All American came out and we had the lyrics, and I needed to know for a short story I was writing.  It bugged the crap out of me, and I kept tweeting about it asking people, and no one could answer me.  Then, finally, the album came out, and I got my answer:  virgin.  It's "virgin dreams."  Which I can hear now, but I never would have guessed it then LOL.

Would you rather only write self-insert fanfics or have to write about only one of the Boys and his wife for every story? Why?

I'd rather write only self-insert fanfics as long as they could include all the Backstreet Boys.  I will just make myself a doctor or nurse, since most of my stories feature those characters anyway LOL.

If you spent an hour "writing" how much of it would be dedicated solely to putting words on the page?

LOL I should try to track this sometime, but my estimate would be 15 minutes refreshing Twitter and this forum, 25 minutes "researching" (a.k.a. looking up something legitimate and then going down a rabbit hole), 15 minutes staring at the page thinking about what words to put on it, and 5 minutes actually typing words on the page.

Don't laugh, but... Oreo-Os.  A.k.a. Oreos for breakfast LMAO.  It's my all-time favorite cereal, and I eat it without milk or a spoon at any time of day.  Just bought a new box this afternoon, so maybe I actually will write something this weekend LOL.

Imagine a world where pet peeves are no longer allowed: Which fanfic pet peeve would be the hardest for you to give up?

The grammatical errors... especially "loose" for "lose," as in "Don't Wanna 'Loose' You Now."  Ahh!!!

Probably my original favorite:  the Brian heart problem stories.  I read so many of those back in the day, and I've written a few of them too.  Even the first fanfic I read in its entirety on AO3 (just last year) was a Brian heart problem story.  I didn't even know people still wrote that storyline these days, but apparently I'm still a sucker for it.  Sorry, Brian.

Share with us the last word you wrote down. If it's not a spoiler, tell us the last sentence.

Last new word: Year (the last word of The Road to Bethlehem)
Last word I edited: Howie's
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #684 on: January 22, 2021, 11:20:27 PM »

Let me know how it goes! But I think if you decide to take a break, you've definitely earned it. I feel like if I stop writing every day, it will feel a little weird now that it's just a thing I've been doing.

Same on the exercise. I need to be much more consistent about it than I am. The lock downs definitely derailed any consistency I had with that.

I will not feel any guilt if I don't write anything this weekend.  I have an easier time keeping it going when I'm in the middle of a project, but it's different when I'm starting something new.  Part of me wants to start writing the Brian idea I have.  Another part is thinking about trying to write a short story I came up with for the DNA challenge here two years ago and never wrote.  And another part is like, "F that, I'm gonna binge watch TV all weekend and not even open Google Docs!"  But we'll see how I feel once I'm well-rested LOL.

He's one of those "man of few words" types unless he knows you really well, then he's pretty chatty. Everyone's always surprised when he audibly laughs, for instance. I tell him everything, but I know he would make so much fun of me if I said I was writing BSB fanfics again, let alone BSB fanfics in the fantasy genre and I'm not quite ready for that loving teasing yet. However, he'll always help me with whatever, so it's nice to know he's a willing participant when it requires minimal effort. Now we gotta go climb out a moonroof or something! haha!

He sounds like a great guy!  I always wondered how married women managed to keep writing fanfic.  You are lucky he's supportive without being too nosy.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #685 on: January 22, 2021, 11:34:44 PM »

71 wpm, but with only 90% accuracy! Basically, my brain works faster than my fingers, haha. I will get on testing how many words I type in a minute when writing later.

The weirdest... Probably when I was trying to poison Nick in PBox! I googled what happens when you drink poison, hated it, then ended up going for something more like what happens if you swallowed venom from animals instead.

I don't have an answer for this one yet either. Maybe getting to ask for an honest and detailed answer about how they feel about how their relationships with each of the others have changed over the years, good or bad. I lean toward Nick or Kevin, but I think hearing it from any of them would be really interesting.

Self-insert because I hate writing about the wives!

Uhhh.... I'll answer this when I get back to writing and not editing because it is much easier to distract me from editing.

Popcorn! I put it in a bowl and chomp away. If I get unfocused, I try to toss it in the air and catch it with my mouth. I am not great at that...

It's been so long, I can't remember any of mine! And I'm probably guilty of any one else's except for lose/loose. As a dedicated fan, I've got that one on lock down.

I already admitted it was Kevin carrying Nick up the stairs! I put something similar into PNecklace for a reason and that was my own personal enjoyment! For a bigger plot point, anything that started with a bus crash, especially once they all stopped sharing a bus.

He caught her, then pulled her up before holding her left shoulder and pressing his palm against her right shoulder, forcing her to turn and face him.

(Clearly I've been really unproductive since begging for my husband's help!)
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #686 on: January 22, 2021, 11:47:58 PM »

Ooh, these are fun!

According to the typing test I just took, I can type 110 words per minute at 100% accuracy.

You're a wizard!

Oh jeez.  I don't even know.  I took a look through my story research bookmarks because I have them all saved dating back to BMS, and here are a few of the weirder or more random ones:

- Can platypuses kill people?

I love how random these are and that you've saved all of them!  But also, can platypuses kill people?!

That is a good one and a tough one.  I am not sure right now, but I can tell you my answer from five years ago.  I would ask Nick, "What the hell are you singing before 'dreams' in 'Cherry Pie'?"  "___ dreams... ice cream skin..."  Then, finally, the album came out, and I got my answer:  virgin.  It's "virgin dreams."  Which I can hear now, but I never would have guessed it then LOL.

He's the king of words that often sound like they have extra letters, for sure.

I'd rather write only self-insert fanfics as long as they could include all the Backstreet Boys.  I will just make myself a doctor or nurse, since most of my stories feature those characters anyway LOL.

LOL I should try to track this sometime, but my estimate would be 15 minutes refreshing Twitter and this forum, 25 minutes "researching" (a.k.a. looking up something legitimate and then going down a rabbit hole), 15 minutes staring at the page thinking about what words to put on it, and 5 minutes actually typing words on the page.

That Florence Nightingale effect is dreamy, no? But thank goodness we don't live in this would you rather situation.

I asked because I was thinking about it. I don't think it's fair for editing because it's way easier to distract me. But I was like, man, I should put the stopwatch up and do a lap every time I get unfocused.

Don't laugh, but... Oreo-Os.  A.k.a. Oreos for breakfast LMAO.  It's my all-time favorite cereal, and I eat it without milk or a spoon at any time of day.  Just bought a new box this afternoon, so maybe I actually will write something this weekend LOL.

I did laugh really hard. If all it takes to inspire you is a box of oreo-os, I will send you pallets of them.

The grammatical errors... especially "loose" for "lose," as in "Don't Wanna 'Loose' You Now."  Ahh!!!

Probably my original favorite:  the Brian heart problem stories.  I read so many of those back in the day, and I've written a few of them too.  Even the first fanfic I read in its entirety on AO3 (just last year) was a Brian heart problem story.  I didn't even know people still wrote that storyline these days, but apparently I'm still a sucker for it.  Sorry, Brian.

Is a world without pet peeves a post apocalyptic world for you? I knew you would say the grammar.

I think there's still something "special" about writing a medical drama that is based in reality rather than the Nick wheel of torture. Especially if they're something you loved in nostalgic times!

Last new word: Year (the last word of The Road to Bethlehem)
Last word I edited: Howie's

I have a guess to the last sentence, but you clearly didn't include it for a reason, so I won't say! And yay for Howie getting an edit. I've been editing him a lot lately because he's the most prone to the word salad moments.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #687 on: January 22, 2021, 11:55:13 PM »

I will not feel any guilt if I don't write anything this weekend.  I have an easier time keeping it going when I'm in the middle of a project, but it's different when I'm starting something new.  Part of me wants to start writing the Brian idea I have.  Another part is thinking about trying to write a short story I came up with for the DNA challenge here two years ago and never wrote.  And another part is like, "F that, I'm gonna binge watch TV all weekend and not even open Google Docs!"  But we'll see how I feel once I'm well-rested LOL.

He sounds like a great guy!  I always wondered how married women managed to keep writing fanfic.  You are lucky he's supportive without being too nosy.

Starting is always the hardest part for sure. What would you binge watch? Something new or an old favorite?

He is! I think it's easier if you're writing a story and not trying to live out some self-insert fantasy through fanfic. If it's a story, it's just a story about characters who happen to be BSB, you know? Like I said, I think he's mostly just happy that I'm doing something instead of wrapping myself in our burrito blanket and staring at my phone as I binge watch tv. Though I do need to be better about not getting so sucked in while writing and go watch Trevor Noah with him or something without a computer attached. He's braver than I am about leaving the house, so it's just me here on the weekends usually.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #688 on: January 23, 2021, 12:13:54 AM »

I love how random these are and that you've saved all of them!  But also, can platypuses kill people?!

Male platypuses have venomous spurs on their hind legs that can paralyze smaller animals.  It's not strong enough to kill a human directly, but it does cause excruciating pain that can last for months.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom  Just another reason platypuses are awesome!

I did laugh really hard. If all it takes to inspire you is a box of oreo-os, I will send you pallets of them.

True story:  They stopped making Oreo O's everywhere except South Korea in 2007, and I was so devastated, I signed petitions and joined a Facebook group dedicated to bringing them back.  Nothing came of that, so I eventually moved on with my life.  Then, a decade later, I was walking down the cereal aisle at Walmart, and lo and behold, a gleaming blue box of Oreo O's caught my eye.  They were back!  I had no idea!  I was so excited, I literally let out a little squee and fought the urge to jump up and down in the middle of the aisle.  I've tried to keep at least a box or two on hand at all times since then, just in case they disappear again. LOL

I think there's still something "special" about writing a medical drama that is based in reality rather than the Nick wheel of torture. Especially if they're something you loved in nostalgic times!

OMG, I totally forgot to look for the Nick wheel of torture at school this week!  Sad panda.  I didn't find it in my garage, so I'm almost positive it's in the storage closet at school.  Must remember to do some digging next week.

I have a guess to the last sentence, but you clearly didn't include it for a reason, so I won't say! And yay for Howie getting an edit. I've been editing him a lot lately because he's the most prone to the word salad moments.

I just didn't wanna give away my whole last line, but you can share your guess!  And yeah, that was me changing a mention of Kevin's phone to Howie's phone, since Kevin's phone broke earlier in the story.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #689 on: January 23, 2021, 12:25:25 AM »

Starting is always the hardest part for sure. What would you binge watch? Something new or an old favorite?

He is! I think it's easier if you're writing a story and not trying to live out some self-insert fantasy through fanfic. If it's a story, it's just a story about characters who happen to be BSB, you know? Like I said, I think he's mostly just happy that I'm doing something instead of wrapping myself in our burrito blanket and staring at my phone as I binge watch tv. Though I do need to be better about not getting so sucked in while writing and go watch Trevor Noah with him or something without a computer attached. He's braver than I am about leaving the house, so it's just me here on the weekends usually.

I have four more episodes of Snowpiercer to watch so I'm ready for Season 2 to start on Monday, so definitely that.  I also want to watch Bridgerton.

I wondered more about you spending hours and hours working on fanfic instead of hanging out with him or being a productive adult, more than the romantic fantasy aspect of it.  If he has his own hobbies and/or likes to go out and do his own thing, that helps.  I'm just basing this on my own experience of living with no one but a couple of cats.  I love the freedom of being able to literally write all day if I want to without having to answer to anyone, but I always think, "I don't know how I could ever live with another human being again" LOL.  I would need someone with his own nerdy hobbies who didn't ask too many questions about mine.  Your Nick sounds perfect in that respect!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50