Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 160193 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #690 on: January 23, 2021, 12:30:21 AM »

Male platypuses have venomous spurs on their hind legs that can paralyze smaller animals.  It's not strong enough to kill a human directly, but it does cause excruciating pain that can last for months.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom  Just another reason platypuses are awesome!

So fascinating! Every new thing I've learned about platypuses has been an experience!

True story:  They stopped making Oreo O's everywhere except South Korea in 2007, and I was so devastated, I signed petitions and joined a Facebook group dedicated to bringing them back.  Nothing came of that, so I eventually moved on with my life.  Then, a decade later, I was walking down the cereal aisle at Walmart, and lo and behold, a gleaming blue box of Oreo O's caught my eye.  They were back!  I had no idea!  I was so excited, I literally let out a little squee and fought the urge to jump up and down in the middle of the aisle.  I've tried to keep at least a box or two on hand at all times since then, just in case they disappear again. LOL

I'm cracking up! I wish you had jumped up and down in the middle of the aisle. I do get that excited about things like that and have scared the husband many times with my shrill teeny squeak about something mundane that excited me.

But how would you ration your last box? Would you still like them if they got really stale?

OMG, I totally forgot to look for the Nick wheel of torture at school this week!  Sad panda.  I didn't find it in my garage, so I'm almost positive it's in the storage closet at school.  Must remember to do some digging next week.

I just didn't wanna give away my whole last line, but you can share your guess!  And yeah, that was me changing a mention of Kevin's phone to Howie's phone, since Kevin's phone broke earlier in the story.

Somewhere Nick's sneezing and thinks "Hmm, feels like it's going to be a good weekend for some reason..." And then next week you find it and he just feels doom encroaching on his person and shudders.

I actually have three guesses, so I'll just keep them to myself and tell you if I was right!  ;)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #691 on: January 23, 2021, 12:41:21 AM »

I have four more episodes of Snowpiercer to watch so I'm ready for Season 2 to start on Monday, so definitely that.  I also want to watch Bridgerton.

This is probably for the tv thread, but I've heard good things about Bridgerton, let me know how it is.

I wondered more about you spending hours and hours working on fanfic instead of hanging out with him or being a productive adult, more than the romantic fantasy aspect of it.  If he has his own hobbies and/or likes to go out and do his own thing, that helps.  I'm just basing this on my own experience of living with no one but a couple of cats.  I love the freedom of being able to literally write all day if I want to without having to answer to anyone, but I always think, "I don't know how I could ever live with another human being again" LOL.  I would need someone with his own nerdy hobbies who didn't ask too many questions about mine.  Your Nick sounds perfect in that respect!

Haha, I went the story aspect and forgot about real life, maybe that's the fantasy I'm living out right now. Lately he's been catching up on Shameless and likes playing the MLB game on his playstation, so he's been happy to have more control of the tv. When we first started dating, I was very busy volunteering for my college's alumni association (basically helping to run a tiny non-profit since that chapter was registered as such), so we've always had our own things that we did in addition to the things we enjoyed doing together. I've stepped back on my volunteering this past year, so this is just like another thing I'm doing to fill my time in the same way as before, just more of a personal hobby than something I'm doing with other people. I've been slightly more reclusive this month now that college football is over, but he's also been going out more for the NFL and traveling for work more frequently. I think maybe after I finish this edit, I might cut back on my days that I do write since I have updates ready through Aprilish at the moment. He's a pretty happy camper if he just gets to sit and do what he likes, he's just not as into creative hobbies as much as he was when he was a kid.

And you say the cats aren't judging how you use your time, but they are always judging.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:52:19 AM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #692 on: January 23, 2021, 01:50:49 AM »

How many words can you write in a minute?

Not a clue. Lol.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever researched?

Probably the probability of getting a snake bite while you are peeing. It was for a one shot where Nick got bit by a snake while he was peeing, and had to be rushed to the hospital where he died, not from the snake bite but an earthquake during surgery killed him. Lol

If you could ask one of the Boys one question to help with your writing, who would you ask and what would that question be?

I'd ask Nick how he REALLY feels about Leighanne and to give a detailed description.

Would you rather only write self-insert fanfics or have to write about only one of the Boys and his wife for every story? Why?

Self insert because I can make myself a background character.

If you spent an hour "writing" how much of it would be dedicated solely to putting words on the page?

Probably 30 mins because I flip between Google docs and Twitter lol

What's your go-to writing snack?

I don't really eat when I'm writing but i do drink my orange Gatorade zero.

Imagine a world where pet peeves are no longer allowed: Which fanfic pet peeve would be the hardest for you to give up?

Uhh I don't think I have one? Lol I don't know.

Of all the old fanfic cliches, which one is your guilty pleasure?
 Nick torture. That's it lol. Gimme a story where something happens to him and I'm sold.

Share with us the last word you wrote down. If it's not a spoiler, tell us the last sentence.

Kevin.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #693 on: January 23, 2021, 12:14:09 PM »

But how would you ration your last box? Would you still like them if they got really stale?

Somewhere Nick's sneezing and thinks "Hmm, feels like it's going to be a good weekend for some reason..." And then next week you find it and he just feels doom encroaching on his person and shudders.

I wouldn't be able to ration it for too long because I definitely can't eat stale Oreo O's.  I would just be really sad if they went away again.  I didn't see any last time I looked for them at Walmart, which made me worried, but I got some at Kroger yesterday.  Yay!

LOL Poor Nick.  Sounds about right!  I remembered I actually have given him flesh-eating bacteria before, in the AC fairy tale challenge we did a while back.  Someone randomly left a comment on it on my site, so I was rereading it and came across that.  No herpes, though... yet.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #694 on: January 23, 2021, 12:16:46 PM »

This is probably for the tv thread, but I've heard good things about Bridgerton, let me know how it is.

Haha, I went the story aspect and forgot about real life, maybe that's the fantasy I'm living out right now. Lately he's been catching up on Shameless and likes playing the MLB game on his playstation, so he's been happy to have more control of the tv. When we first started dating, I was very busy volunteering for my college's alumni association (basically helping to run a tiny non-profit since that chapter was registered as such), so we've always had our own things that we did in addition to the things we enjoyed doing together. I've stepped back on my volunteering this past year, so this is just like another thing I'm doing to fill my time in the same way as before, just more of a personal hobby than something I'm doing with other people. I've been slightly more reclusive this month now that college football is over, but he's also been going out more for the NFL and traveling for work more frequently. I think maybe after I finish this edit, I might cut back on my days that I do write since I have updates ready through Aprilish at the moment. He's a pretty happy camper if he just gets to sit and do what he likes, he's just not as into creative hobbies as much as he was when he was a kid.

And you say the cats aren't judging how you use your time, but they are always judging.

Sounds like you both have a great balance!  And yeah, my cats totally judge me.  One of them is rubbing her head on me right now as she watches me type this, like "Mama, pay attention to me!"
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #695 on: January 23, 2021, 12:20:09 PM »

Probably the probability of getting a snake bite while you are peeing. It was for a one shot where Nick got bit by a snake while he was peeing, and had to be rushed to the hospital where he died, not from the snake bite but an earthquake during surgery killed him. Lol

LMAO!  I miss 1000 Ways.  It was fun when we first started and had so many different people writing deaths every day.

I'd ask Nick how he REALLY feels about Leighanne and to give a detailed description.

OMG, yes!!  I would pay to see that interview.

Nick torture. That's it lol. Gimme a story where something happens to him and I'm sold.

Yes!!!  This one's still going strong LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #696 on: January 23, 2021, 01:00:57 PM »

I promised myself that I was going to buckle down and focus on editing while the husband was watching college basketball. So I set myself a stopwatch and I pause it every time I do something that's not writing. And I committed to not popping in here at all until 2pm, but I came to part of my edits, started laughing, and had to share. Even in 2008, I had Brian preaching about politics in PBox... F-in' Brian... I think I always knew...  ::)

2008:

Brian turned his head, examining their surroundings. “It would be nice if that were so. But… Everyone’s ideals face different routes. What I call justice may be thievery or blasphemy to someone else.” He turned back to Lance, “And yet, fighting to reach a world of light... Don’t you think both the living and the dead would appreciate that?”

And now:
Brian glanced around their surroundings. “What I call justice, others may shun as tyranny. Justice is shaped by the world we live in.” He turned back to Lance. “And yet, fighting to reach a world of light for all... Don’t you think both the living and the dead would appreciate that?”

See y'all after 2pm unless I'm four pages from being completely finished or something. I'll catch up on your posts then!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #697 on: January 23, 2021, 02:18:11 PM »

LOL Oh Brian.  We always knew he was conservative, but until this past administration, I didn't think of "conservative" as necessarily being a bad thing.

I will have to try the stopwatch trick next time I'm actually writing.  I doubt I'm going to do any of that this weekend.  I'm going to update my site and try to finish reading Bethlehem and editing the last few chapters, but I don't think I'll try to start anything new.  (Of course, as I'm typing this, the song "Fallen Angel" pops up on my BSB playlist.  That's also the working title of the Brian idea that might be my next project.  Is that the universe telling me to write? LOL) 

Good luck being productive!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:20:04 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #698 on: January 23, 2021, 02:58:54 PM »

I am trying to be productive on Chapter 41. I'm a little stuck at the moment but I am not sure why, I guess I need to go read about where Brian talked about his recovery again because that's what's tripping me up a little bit.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #699 on: January 23, 2021, 03:45:41 PM »

What's the weirdest thing you've ever researched?

I love the twist that he probably would have been fine if it wasn't for a random earthquake, haha.

If you could ask one of the Boys one question to help with your writing, who would you ask and what would that question be?

Would you rather only write self-insert fanfics or have to write about only one of the Boys and his wife for every story? Why?

Self insert because I can make myself a background character.

That's a good one! Also you both and your background character self inserts. I guess that's my fault for not specifying that I meant as a love interest. The devil is in the details.

If you spent an hour "writing" how much of it would be dedicated solely to putting words on the page?

Probably 30 mins because I flip between Google docs and Twitter lol

I wonder if this is why we were all faster when we were younger. The internet was slower, so it took a lot longer to use it as a distraction.

Of all the old fanfic cliches, which one is your guilty pleasure?

Share with us the last word you wrote down. If it's not a spoiler, tell us the last sentence.

Kevin.

I think you and a bunch of other people really enjoy Nick torture. Although, is there a lot Nick torture around these days? Have people started being nicer to him? Are we the only sadists left?

I love that you both wrote one of their names most recently.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #700 on: January 23, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »

I wouldn't be able to ration it for too long because I definitely can't eat stale Oreo O's.  I would just be really sad if they went away again.  I didn't see any last time I looked for them at Walmart, which made me worried, but I got some at Kroger yesterday.  Yay!

LOL Poor Nick.  Sounds about right!  I remembered I actually have given him flesh-eating bacteria before, in the AC fairy tale challenge we did a while back.  Someone randomly left a comment on it on my site, so I was rereading it and came across that.  No herpes, though... yet.

I feel like every week, something different is out at the usual grocery store, but is perfectly fine at a different grocery store. I'm sure they're just restocking. :)

Haha! I picked it because I thought it was too random. Rule 34/BSB fanfic Rule #1, I guess. I wonder if anyone's actually given him herpes because of the mundane and commonality of it... Also the spreadability. .. You can't catch a terminal illness. Although, now I'm wondering, could you catch flesh-eating bacteria from someone else? I guess I'm not really sure how you would get it other than being in contaminated water or something.

Sounds like you both have a great balance!  And yeah, my cats totally judge me.  One of them is rubbing her head on me right now as she watches me type this, like "Mama, pay attention to me!"

We do! Also, pay attention to the cat already if it's judging you and asking for attention!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #701 on: January 23, 2021, 03:57:32 PM »

LOL Oh Brian.  We always knew he was conservative, but until this past administration, I didn't think of "conservative" as necessarily being a bad thing.

I will have to try the stopwatch trick next time I'm actually writing.  I doubt I'm going to do any of that this weekend.  I'm going to update my site and try to finish reading Bethlehem and editing the last few chapters, but I don't think I'll try to start anything new.  (Of course, as I'm typing this, the song "Fallen Angel" pops up on my BSB playlist.  That's also the working title of the Brian idea that might be my next project.  Is that the universe telling me to write? LOL) 

Good luck being productive!

That must be the universe trying to tell you to write. Up to you whether you heed or ignore the sign!

It was motivating, but I don't know if it was motivating in the right way? It kept me off here, but I was bummed every time I paused it because I needed to think for a minute or get a snack or something. All said though, out of the three hours I committed to, I actively wrote for two of them, plus fifteen minutes because I was half a page out from finishing a chapter. If I can do that three more times this weekend, I'll be golden!

I am trying to be productive on Chapter 41. I'm a little stuck at the moment but I am not sure why, I guess I need to go read about where Brian talked about his recovery again because that's what's tripping me up a little bit.

I hate that "I am stuck" feeling when you can't put your finger on why. I think going to the source for inspiration is a good plan.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #702 on: January 23, 2021, 04:06:52 PM »

Describe what you've got going on writing-wise in five words or less, but cryptically.

So, editing this past chapter wasn't nearly as bad as writing it the first time (it did not take six months for instance, probably three hours tops if you count the first couple pages where I wasn't focusing at all). I teared up a little while editing the end, so I think my suspicions on why it took so long the first time were correct: I just really didn't want to kill off Brian, but ignored that feeling. Can you imagine if I had ignored Nick's wishes and stuck to my original plan to kill them all? I probably would have never finished PBox! Thank goodness he was really annoying thirty chapters prior, it saved us both a lot of heartache.

Onward!

This chapter's cryptic quip is: "Hashtag Team Howie Forever! Sniff!"

Edited to add: Oh hey, I hit 10,000 posts today. Supreme time waster indeed!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 04:08:52 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #703 on: January 23, 2021, 04:18:09 PM »

I wonder if this is why we were all faster when we were younger. The internet was slower, so it took a lot longer to use it as a distraction.

I definitely think that's why.  When I first started writing fanfic, I didn't even have internet in my bedroom (at my parents' house).  I had an old computer I could play games and do homework on, but it wasn't connected to the internet.  The only computer with internet (dial-up) was my mom's computer in the den, where I guess she thought she could better monitor our use of it. Ha!  So I had to do any research I needed ahead of time on her computer, save everything I needed to a floppy disk, delete my history, take it back to my own computer and write offline, then save my updates to the floppy and get back on her computer to post them.  It took a lot of dedication and a bit of stealth, but it definitely made me more productive with the writing part because there weren't any distractions.  Social media is somehow even more distracting than IM was back in the day, and faster internet definitely makes it easier to fall down a rabbit hole.

I think you and a bunch of other people really enjoy Nick torture. Although, is there a lot Nick torture around these days? Have people started being nicer to him? Are we the only sadists left?

That's a good question.  My inclination is to say of course there's still a lot of Nick torture around, but I really haven't read much outside of the AC regulars' stuff in years, so I actually have no idea.  It seems like angst is popular on AO3 (usually slashy angst), but that may be more emotional than physical torture.  I hope we're not the only sadists left.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #704 on: January 23, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »

I feel like every week, something different is out at the usual grocery store, but is perfectly fine at a different grocery store. I'm sure they're just restocking. :)

Yeah, it has been weird since the great toilet paper shortage of 2020.  At least I've been able to find TP and soap.

Haha! I picked it because I thought it was too random. Rule 34/BSB fanfic Rule #1, I guess. I wonder if anyone's actually given him herpes because of the mundane and commonality of it... Also the spreadability. .. You can't catch a terminal illness. Although, now I'm wondering, could you catch flesh-eating bacteria from someone else? I guess I'm not really sure how you would get it other than being in contaminated water or something.

We do! Also, pay attention to the cat already if it's judging you and asking for attention!

LOL The relatively obscure but terrifying ones are my favorite!  I've given him Ebola and bubonic plague in 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter, but of course the goal there is to be as ridiculous as possible.  I don't think I've ever read a "Nick has herpes" story, nor am I sure I would want to LOL.  Technically I have given him an STD, but it wasn't that one.

I looked up your question about flesh-eating bacteria being contagious because I wasn't completely sure either.  Apparently it could be passed from person to person through close contact, like someone with an open wound touching someone else's infected wound.  Ew...

Don't worry, kitty got plenty of pets.  :cheshire:
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 50