Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread  (Read 146234 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 24, 2021, 04:09:42 PM »

Hehe, I love the name of that story.  Beta Sigma Beta... perfect name for a fictional BSB frat!  You could always add an author's note just letting any future readers know not to expect an update on it.

Oh good idea! And but of course! What else would you name a fictional BSB fraternity? Thank goodness they have at least two letters in their name! Although, I vaguely remember that I gave all the other fraternities joke names that made me laugh, I realize that maybe I missed out by not including a Nu Kappa Beta, a Nu Sigma, a Nu Delta, or an Omicron Tau (even though it wasn't a crossover). This was pre One Direction I think, but I suppose I also could have done a Beta Tau Mu or something... Not that Boys II Men is necessarily a boyband.  :shrug:

Good for you!  You're getting so close!

Took a real life break to cook meal prep with the husband for the week (see, don't worry, I still do household things with him even if I'm in gremlin mode). Now back to editing!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #721 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:30 PM »

I finished reading Bethlehem, worked on my outline for Fallen Angel (the Brian idea) and made a banner, which is how you know I'm serious about it LOL.  Maybe next weekend I'll actually try to start writing something for it.  I got a couple comments from enthusiastic Brian girls after I mentioned it in my site update yesterday, so at least someone is interested in reading it.

You made a banner! :o You are serious! I was always a little jealous of everyone's banner skills. Always something I wish I'd been able to learn.

That's exciting that people are looking forward to it. I was right, people probably just need some nice Brian fanfics right now.

You've got your next weekend planned out! Now what should I do? haha Life will feel a lot less cluttered without PBox to edit.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #722 on: January 24, 2021, 04:15:47 PM »

You said originally you were going to kill them all.  What made you change your mind?

Has anyone else ever planned to kill a Boy and then given them a stay of execution at the last minute?  Or done the opposite and killed one off when you were originally planning to let him live?

I answered that:

I was originally going to kill them all!

But it seems like no one else kills the Boys seriously. Have you, Julie? I'm trying to think of one for you and I'm at a loss.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #723 on: January 24, 2021, 05:32:41 PM »

You made a banner! :o You are serious! I was always a little jealous of everyone's banner skills. Always something I wish I'd been able to learn.

That's exciting that people are looking forward to it. I was right, people probably just need some nice Brian fanfics right now.

You've got your next weekend planned out! Now what should I do? haha Life will feel a lot less cluttered without PBox to edit.

I have no artistic talent when it comes to drawing, painting, etc., but I taught myself how to make/manipulate graphics.  I've always used Paintshop Pro, but there's a free one called Paint.net that is not bad.  There's a bit of a learning curve to it while you're first figuring out the program, but it's not hard to use once you get the hang of it.  If I can do it, anyone can!

LOL We'll see if I follow through.  It was nice just relaxing this weekend, but I also missed writing.  You should take a little break, be proud of yourself for finishing this editing project, and then get back to work on your next project.

But it seems like no one else kills the Boys seriously. Have you, Julie? I'm trying to think of one for you and I'm at a loss.

Yep, I have.  I've killed every one of them at least once, some of them multiple times.  It's never a decision I take lightly; I like happy endings, but sometimes sad or bittersweet endings just work better.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #724 on: January 24, 2021, 05:50:40 PM »

I have no artistic talent when it comes to drawing, painting, etc., but I taught myself how to make/manipulate graphics.  I've always used Paintshop Pro, but there's a free one called Paint.net that is not bad.  There's a bit of a learning curve to it while you're first figuring out the program, but it's not hard to use once you get the hang of it.  If I can do it, anyone can!

LOL We'll see if I follow through.  It was nice just relaxing this weekend, but I also missed writing.  You should take a little break, be proud of yourself for finishing this editing project, and then get back to work on your next project.

Yep, I have.  I've killed every one of them at least once, some of them multiple times.  It's never a decision I take lightly; I like happy endings, but sometimes sad or bittersweet endings just work better.

I used to use GIMP to color my line art, but it's been forever since I've used any programs like that and I was absolutely terrible at the blending tool, which I feel like would be a lot of what's used for banners.

I feel like I would also miss writing now that I've done it almost every weekend. I think it depends on what I try to do post-PBox edit. If it's binge watching twelve hours of TV, I should probably just work on writing. If it's getting back on my organization products or deep cleaning my house, I should probably do that. But, I also know post-COVID, I'll be back to my volunteering and fall tailgating, so I should probably get into the habit of not writing both days in a weekend. Or write a lot now so that I can take those days off then. Not sure.  :shrug:

I figured you had, but couldn't think of any. Did you always plan to kill them from the beginning or were there any where you changed your mind?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #725 on: January 24, 2021, 06:56:22 PM »

But, I also know post-COVID, I'll be back to my volunteering and fall tailgating, so I should probably get into the habit of not writing both days in a weekend. Or write a lot now so that I can take those days off then. Not sure.  :shrug:

I figured you had, but couldn't think of any. Did you always plan to kill them from the beginning or were there any where you changed your mind?

I say write as much as you can while you can!

You missed some of the more memorable ones while you were on hiatus LOL.  I can't think of any instances where I've changed my mind.  There have been some stories where I wasn't sure in the beginning whether certain characters would live or die; it could have gone either way.  But once I make up my mind, I stick with it.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #726 on: January 24, 2021, 07:09:28 PM »

I say write as much as you can while you can!

You missed some of the more memorable ones while you were on hiatus LOL.  I can't think of any instances where I've changed my mind.  There have been some stories where I wasn't sure in the beginning whether certain characters would live or die; it could have gone either way.  But once I make up my mind, I stick with it.

You're probably right! It would be crazy if I kept this pace and actually finished a novel in six months or less, haha. Do you write more during the summer or would you say your pace is pretty consistent?

I figured I had. When about in the story do you decide if you're on the fence? Is it closer to the beginning or closer to the end? I've only ever tried to seriously kill off the Boys in PBox, so it's not super typical for me. I don't know that I could again. Right now I'm puzzling "Does Nick have to die to be Brian's guardian angel?"
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #727 on: January 24, 2021, 08:34:52 PM »

You're probably right! It would be crazy if I kept this pace and actually finished a novel in six months or less, haha. Do you write more during the summer or would you say your pace is pretty consistent?

I figured I had. When about in the story do you decide if you're on the fence? Is it closer to the beginning or closer to the end? I've only ever tried to seriously kill off the Boys in PBox, so it's not super typical for me. I don't know that I could again. Right now I'm puzzling "Does Nick have to die to be Brian's guardian angel?"

I definitely write more in the summer.  I usually only write on the weekends during the school year, unless I'm really inspired.

It's closer to the beginning.  I'd say by halfway through the story, I've got those life or death decisions figured out for the end.  I don't think I've ever changed my mind past that point.

Are you really thinking about writing the guardian angel story?  You totally should!  And unfortunately, yes, I think Nick needs to die to be an angel.  Although you're a fantasy person; you could probably work your magic and figure out some loophole to bring him back to life if you wanted to.  No one really knows for sure anyway when it comes to the afterlife, angels, ghosts, etc.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #728 on: January 24, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »

I definitely write more in the summer.  I usually only write on the weekends during the school year, unless I'm really inspired.

It's closer to the beginning.  I'd say by halfway through the story, I've got those life or death decisions figured out for the end.  I don't think I've ever changed my mind past that point.

It would be tough to wait for the weekend if you were really inspired, though I know late writing nights aren't fun the next morning.

Yeah, I'd had my PBox deaths all squared away by chapter twenty out of fifty as well. I think deciding later than halfway gets too rushed.

Are you really thinking about writing the guardian angel story?  You totally should!  And unfortunately, yes, I think Nick needs to die to be an angel.  Although you're a fantasy person; you could probably work your magic and figure out some loophole to bring him back to life if you wanted to.  No one really knows for sure anyway when it comes to the afterlife, angels, ghosts, etc.

I'm considering it, but it's in the questioning phase. Poor Gobosei, haha. Loopholes are my favorite! Like I said, that's how Nick got around dying like I planned.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #729 on: January 24, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »

Also, I apparently should have described this chapter as "I'm not crying, you're crying, Nick! (Just kidding we're both crying.)" Man, anyone who ever read this probably got to the end and thought "Well, that was a downer."

Because I did that story structure thing where you establish "Character x wants thing y," but you'll never give them thing y. However, you will give them what they need, thing z. And thing z ends up being really different from thing y. Except... Character x figures out that they didn't actually want thing y, they really wanted thing z all along. And so you say, "Oh no, now you get neither!"

Poor Nick...
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #730 on: January 24, 2021, 09:11:26 PM »

It would be tough to wait for the weekend if you were really inspired, though I know late writing nights aren't fun the next morning.

It's more that I'm usually exhausted by the end of the work day, and all I wanna do is veg out in front of the TV or play on my phone.  Writing takes too much mental effort.  But if I'm really inspired and don't have to think too much to get the words to flow, then I'll write on weeknights.  At my most inspired, I've even written before school.

Yeah, I'd had my PBox deaths all squared away by chapter twenty out of fifty as well. I think deciding later than halfway gets too rushed.

Agreed.  If I changed my mind just before the end, I would worry it was an impulsive decision I would regret later.  I once changed my mind about how I wanted to write a death (having it happen "on screen" and described in detail vs. having it happen "off screen") a few chapters before I wrote it, and I wish I had stuck to my original plan.

I'm considering it, but it's in the questioning phase. Poor Gobosei, haha. Loopholes are my favorite! Like I said, that's how Nick got around dying like I planned.

I'm happy to hear that!  Poor Gobosei indeed, but that's usually how it goes for me too.  Some shiny new idea comes along and distracts me away from going back to an old one.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #731 on: January 24, 2021, 09:12:37 PM »

Also, I apparently should have described this chapter as "I'm not crying, you're crying, Nick! (Just kidding we're both crying.)" Man, anyone who ever read this probably got to the end and thought "Well, that was a downer."

Because I did that story structure thing where you establish "Character x wants thing y," but you'll never give them thing y. However, you will give them what they need, thing z. And thing z ends up being really different from thing y. Except... Character x figures out that they didn't actually want thing y, they really wanted thing z all along. And so you say, "Oh no, now you get neither!"

Poor Nick...

LOL That is depressing!  But sometimes depressing works best.  Not everything can be wrapped up in a shiny bow at the end.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #732 on: January 24, 2021, 09:32:06 PM »

It's more that I'm usually exhausted by the end of the work day, and all I wanna do is veg out in front of the TV or play on my phone.  Writing takes too much mental effort.  But if I'm really inspired and don't have to think too much to get the words to flow, then I'll write on weeknights.  At my most inspired, I've even written before school.

I feel you on that! The kids really take it out of you sometimes. Maybe that's why I've gotten my writing mojo back. This school year hasn't been nearly as exhausting as they usually are. I don't think I could write before school. I like to continue sleeping until sleeping is no longer an option.

Agreed.  If I changed my mind just before the end, I would worry it was an impulsive decision I would regret later.  I once changed my mind about how I wanted to write a death (having it happen "on screen" and described in detail vs. having it happen "off screen") a few chapters before I wrote it, and I wish I had stuck to my original plan.

Did you change from on screen to off or off screen to on?

I think that's tricky with a lot of things, especially death scenes. But there's always that "Does this actually happening for the readers really do what I want it to in story" or would it be better to just summarize it later and get to whatever the fall out is? Sex scenes came to mind right away, but I'm sure there's something else I'm not thinking of right now.

I'm happy to hear that!  Poor Gobosei indeed, but that's usually how it goes for me too.  Some shiny new idea comes along and distracts me away from going back to an old one.

I wonder if it's possible to do them both at the same time. I feel like I used to try to do that and everything got jumbled in my head. That's part of why I stopped writing everything but PBox back in the day.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #733 on: January 24, 2021, 09:46:48 PM »

I feel you on that! The kids really take it out of you sometimes. Maybe that's why I've gotten my writing mojo back. This school year hasn't been nearly as exhausting as they usually are. I don't think I could write before school. I like to continue sleeping until sleeping is no longer an option.

Very true!  I feel the same way about this school year.  I'm the same way - not a morning person and will snooze till the last possible minute and leave my house at the last possible minute.  But there were days, especially when I was in the midst of my end-of-story streak for A Heart That Isn't Mine, when I would wake up early just so I could write for half an hour, or I would put my chromebook on the bathroom counter and write a little as I dried my hair and got ready in the morning.

I think that's tricky with a lot of things, especially death scenes. But there's always that "Does this actually happening for the readers really do what I want it to in story" or would it be better to just summarize it later and get to whatever the fall out is? Sex scenes came to mind right away, but I'm sure there's something else I'm not thinking of right now.

I went from off screen to on.  I had my reasons for doing it that went beyond "I'm gonna show, not tell," which involved the narrator being around to witness the death when originally he wasn't going to be, but actually seeing it play out on the page was almost too sad for me, and I've written a ton of sad stuff.  I don't think it was necessary to show it.

I agree about sex scenes too.

I wonder if it's possible to do them both at the same time. I feel like I used to try to do that and everything got jumbled in my head. That's part of why I stopped writing everything but PBox back in the day.

You could try writing both before posting anything and see how it goes.  I have a hard time balancing more than one story at a time anymore, but I usually go through a period of WADD (Writer's Attention Deficit Disorder) after finishing a story where I flit from project to project without being able to focus on any one of them.  But in the end, writing bits and pieces of different stories helps me figure out which one I want to keep working on.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #734 on: January 24, 2021, 09:50:57 PM »

LOL That is depressing!  But sometimes depressing works best.  Not everything can be wrapped up in a shiny bow at the end.

It was inevitable. It had to be depressing at the end, because there was more story to tell. I'd rather end depressing and get gradually happier as the story goes than end happy and make it depressing again only to get it back happy. Too much of a rollercoaster.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50