Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Reading Thread  (Read 21701 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Reading Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2021, 11:23:03 PM »

Fascinating! Have you always been on wordpress or did you make the switch? I seem to recall wordpress not really being a thing before 2009?

I switched to Wordpress in 2012.  Before that, I was using Microsoft Word to do my site LOL.  Quite an upgrade!  It was a learning curve, but it's so much nicer and easier to maintain now.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »

I liked wordpress when I was blogging. I thought it was really user friendly. I'm impressed that you did all of the things on your site that you did from Word for such a long time though!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2021, 06:30:46 AM »

I prefer books, I'm so old fashioned though I have a tablet for when I soak in the tub or my phone when I'm out and about. But man, there's just something to books.

I liked wordpress when I was blogging. I thought it was really user friendly. I'm impressed that you did all of the things on your site that you did from Word for such a long time though!

I love wordpress. Lord knows I only know the basics but it makes me look like I know what I'm doing LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2021, 07:09:49 PM »

I prefer books, I'm so old fashioned though I have a tablet for when I soak in the tub or my phone when I'm out and about. But man, there's just something to books.

I love wordpress. Lord knows I only know the basics but it makes me look like I know what I'm doing LOL.

It's the smell and the inky feel of the pages.

Yeah, it's so user-friendly! I only used the free version, but it made everything so easy and cute.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2021, 11:10:22 AM »

New question:  Do you prefer reading fanfics one chapter at a time as they're being updated, or would you rather binge-read a story that's already finished or at least pretty far along?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »

New question:  Do you prefer reading fanfics one chapter at a time as they're being updated, or would you rather binge-read a story that's already finished or at least pretty far along?

I think they're both good for different reasons. If you read stories as they're being updated, you get to enjoy the anticipation between chapters and also serve as a motivating force for those authors who say they update as they write or those authors who are still writing as they're beginning to post.

If it's almost complete, or already complete, and it's so engrossing that you just want to keep clicking next, you can keep clicking next until however many hours have passed to your heart's content. I think it's easier to commit to binge reading a novella size story (10-20 chapters) than a novel (20-50 chapters) or an epic (50+ chapters). Because with the shorter ones, you can say: This will probably take me a few hours, but an epic is probably days unless you get sucked in and do nothing else for however many hours.

I feel for anyone who saw PNecklace appear and thought: A new story being updated! I'm going to try it! Wait... I have to read this whole other novel for it to make sense? Wait, you're updating weekly and I'm still reading the first one! Wait!

To all two of those people (Possibly ten? It's hard to tell.): sorry.

As a writer, I also think maybe it's preferable for people to read as they go? Because if they were going to leave feedback, they'd be more likely to leave it on each chapter. Whereas if they have a lot to catch up on, they'd likely only leave one large feedback, so you would miss hearing about the subtle things from each chapter. But then all feedback is good feedback? So...  :shrug:
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2021, 01:41:58 PM »

I agree with all of the above!  It's the same as with TV shows - it's fun to binge-watch a show that's already complete or has several seasons to catch up on, but I also enjoy the experience of watching an episode a week as it airs.  I enjoy following fanfics as as they're being written, but it's also nice to read one that's already finished and be able to go at my own pace and not have to worry about being left hanging.

From a writing standpoint, it's absolutely more fun to have readers read the story as it's being written and leave feedback on every chapter.  I do enjoy getting random reviews on old stories that someone has just discovered and read in their entirety, but like you said, most of them just leave feedback at the end and don't review every chapter.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2021, 04:01:25 PM »

I agree with all of the above!  It's the same as with TV shows - it's fun to binge-watch a show that's already complete or has several seasons to catch up on, but I also enjoy the experience of watching an episode a week as it airs.  I enjoy following fanfics as as they're being written, but it's also nice to read one that's already finished and be able to go at my own pace and not have to worry about being left hanging.

I do like binging TV shows, but I think it's easier with a half hour comedy than the hour long dramedies or dramas. It's that novella versus novel thing again.

It must be pretty heartbreaking as a reader to invest time in a story and then wait however long for an update. I feel for them when that happens. Not as much as for myself if I'm the one writing it because of course I want to update, but also here we are.

From a writing standpoint, it's absolutely more fun to have readers read the story as it's being written and leave feedback on every chapter.  I do enjoy getting random reviews on old stories that someone has just discovered and read in their entirety, but like you said, most of them just leave feedback at the end and don't review every chapter.

Mare was talking about that with Protect and Serve. I think that must be really fun to have someone pop into something older and let you know that it still holds up however many years later.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2021, 05:45:20 PM »

New question:  Do you prefer reading fanfics one chapter at a time as they're being updated, or would you rather binge-read a story that's already finished or at least pretty far along?

When I used to read, I always preferred to read it after it was done as opposed to waiting on chapters because of lack of updates. You all know my memory sucks, so if too long went by between chapters, I would end up forgetting what happened and have to reread the previous chapter and eventually that really started to annoy me, and my thinking became, well if I have to reread the previous chapter it probably means it wasn't worth remembering so I'll just wait until it's done. LOL

As a writer, obviously it's the opposite. We all want that instant praise and don't want to wait. That's another reason why I used to make sure I stuck to my update schedule because I absolutely HATED waiting forever for updates.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:53:15 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2021, 07:51:08 PM »

As a writer, obviously it's the opposite. We all want that instant praise and don't want to wait. That's another reason why I used to make sure I stuck to my update schedule because I absolutely HATED waiting forever for updates.

Once again, Mare is so wise. Everyone (readers and writers) likes predictability .
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2021, 09:32:41 PM »

Agree, the predictability of having a weekly updating schedule is so nice!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2021, 07:24:30 PM »

So I've been doing some reading, and I thought I'd ask this question lol

What is your favorite chapter/scene of any fanfiction you've ever read?

Mine is what I read this morning, I am rereading Why I'd Do It All Again by Mare and I was just in tears reading the part where Nick falls out of his bedroom window and lands on a old sandwich in the rose bush below. I don't know why that part is so funny but it just sticks out in my mind, it's probably the funniest thing I've ever read. Just because I can picture him lying in the bush and realizing a sandwich broke his fall. XD

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2021, 07:39:08 PM »

That is such a randomly funny Mare moment LOL.

Great question, but I'm realizing as I think about it, I don't remember a lot of specific chapters or scenes.  The first two that came to mind were the infamous bot fly scene in Steph's "Save a Prayer" because it's so horrifying and gross and the Christmas gift wrapping scene in "Cover Me With Dreams" by Heidi because it's cute and sexy.  I went scrolling through my list of favorites to look for other ideas, and while I can tell you the general plot of each one and why I liked it, I can't think of a lot of specific parts.  And the ones I do remember are usually just memorable in some way, often because they're shocking or gross, but I don't know that that makes them my favorite scene.  I guess it's been a long time since I've reread most of my old favorites!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2021, 07:45:14 PM »

Oh the sandwich! I also enjoy that one.

I can't think of any right now that stand out as a favorite. I really suck. I think I listed all the memorable ones when we discussed "The Scenes"/"Signature Scenes." I've just been away too long and if my brain is anything like my house, my favorite BSB fanfics are buried under a pile of something somewhere, lol.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]