Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Why is Nick so picky when we write?  (Read 51201 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Why is Nick so picky when we write?
« on: January 16, 2021, 05:06:31 PM »

Nick's being really picky about how I edit this chapter (I think because he knows we both love it). So I figured rather than complaining about this in the writing thread and seeing as many of us have had issues with him being loudly and persistently picky, it probably deserves its own thread.

So, I guess, here's everyone's chance to complain about when the Boys are being particularly vocal about something you're writing. And maybe get some commiseration or talk shop and bounce things off each other.

It can also be a discussion, why is Nick so picky about what he says and does? Who's the least picky? Who always surprises you when they're picky? Is Nick ever surprised about someone else being picky? haha

When in doubt, just remember: "First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him!" -- Ray Bradbury (Given the tiny, persistent demon Nick seal of approval!)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Why is Nick so picky when we write?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 05:52:17 PM »

Nick was very particular about this last chapter that I posted. I had it written a different way originally. There was a whole scene at AJs apartment that I cut, then the ending got edited a bunch of times before I was happy with it... Well, before Nick was happy with it LOL he was just really annoying with this update. He usually doesn't care what I do. AJ sometimes bugs me but he's usually the comic relief so it's more of "No I should say this. It's funnier."

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 06:36:01 PM »

Brian and AJ both tend to say funnier things intentionally for me, so if they decide they have something funnier to say, I just let them have at it.

Don't you hate when you end up rewriting a scene so many times when Nick's being picky? Like I changed what you want, why do you still hate it?!

At this point, we've been together many years, so I typically pause and stare when I feel him popping up because I know he has something to say and I'll want to mull it over in silence for a minute. I used to do the multiple rewrites, but he would often badger through three or four versions before the right one hit and I've gotten to the point where I can walk it through my brain instead of on paper most of the time. So if whatever I come up with after pausing and staring still doesn't feel right, I get up and start pacing my house or doing something mundane like dusting or washing dishes while I ponder. I'll usually figure it out after that.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 08:48:42 PM »

I got stuck, so I did what I mentioned before and now that my dinner is ready, Nick's ready to keep writing. You're a jerk, Nick.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 10:38:04 PM »

My Nick has been unconscious for like five chapters now, so he hasn't been giving me any grief.  I guess that's probably why I don't have this problem very often. LOL

Sorry he's being a picky jerk to the rest of you!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 10:39:41 PM »

My Nick has been unconscious for like five chapters now, so he hasn't been giving me any grief.  I guess that's probably why I don't have this problem very often. LOL

Well it's easy to not have a picky Nick if you knock him unconscious! But he only puts up with that so many times and then he fights back, haha.
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 11:03:12 PM »

Lmao Julie. Yeah I don't wanna spoil it for Dee but you read this last chapter and Nick kept telling me to change that fight scene so many times lol. He was just being super picky. Usually he doesn't have much to say but this time he did.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 11:25:45 PM »

Usually he doesn't have much to say but this time he did.

So if Nick's not usually picky at you, who is?
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 11:34:10 PM »

Oh it's definitely Nick lol. Sometimes Brian too depending on what km writing.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 11:44:25 PM »

Oh it's definitely Nick lol. Sometimes Brian too depending on what km writing.

Haha, if he's been quiet this time in general, then it must mean he's pretty happy with whatever you're writing.  ;)
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 11:51:57 PM »

Lmao Julie. Yeah I don't wanna spoil it for Dee but you read this last chapter and Nick kept telling me to change that fight scene so many times lol. He was just being super picky. Usually he doesn't have much to say but this time he did.

Those kinds of scenes are when I get the most crap from him too - fights and other dramatic conversations.  I'm more likely to just go with what he wants in those situations.  Otherwise I just knock him out LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »

Those kinds of scenes are when I get the most crap from him too - fights and other dramatic conversations.  I'm more likely to just go with what he wants in those situations.  Otherwise I just knock him out LOL.

I think he gets really particular about fights/arguments because he wants to win. So he figures if he plans out each part, it will go his way and he'll win. He's always really surprised when he does not win, haha.
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 10:03:18 PM »

Speaking of this thread, Nick is currently fighting me about the chapter of If I Knew Then right now because he’s not in it and he’s upset with me for not including him. LOL

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 10:10:58 PM »

He loves the limelight, doesn't he? Better give him a good chapter next to make up for it, haha.

Meanwhile, I should stop being nostalgic for Gobosei before self-absorbed PBox Nick comes storming in demanding that I get back to cursory editing his very emotional poisoning.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 10:42:03 PM »

Speaking of this thread, Nick is currently fighting me about the chapter of If I Knew Then right now because he’s not in it and he’s upset with me for not including him. LOL

You may need to throw in an anesthesia dream sequence in which Brian walks up a grand staircase and finds Nick waiting for him by the clock, and they kiss, and the room erupts in applause.  And then Celine Dion starts singing.
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6