Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 122589 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #495 on: February 22, 2021, 06:04:25 PM »

I mentioned this briefly yesterday and thought it would be fun to collect everyone else's thoughts:

How do you brainstorm when you're writing or planning?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #496 on: February 22, 2021, 07:29:02 PM »

Hm... I'm not exactly sure how to answer that.  I guess when I'm consciously trying to come up with an idea or solve a story-related problem, I will put myself in a place where I can think without distractions.  I'll take a long shower or a walk, or sometimes I'll just turn off the lights and lie on my bed in the dark and think.  If I think doing research will help, I'll Google.  Or sometimes I'll watch or read something that's similar to what I'm writing in hopes it helps spark an idea.  With this current story I've been working on, I've found a few YouTube channels and podcasts that I think will be very helpful in getting into my main character's head and better understanding the circumstances I've put him in.  I've already gotten some ideas for future scenes from that.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #497 on: February 22, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »

Interesting! Did the youtube channels and podcasts come up in your googling or did you stumble on them on accident during a rabbit hole?

My answer is less exciting. I make lists, haha.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #498 on: February 22, 2021, 08:08:56 PM »

The YouTube channels came up during my research.  The podcasts I went looking for, figuring that would be another way to get more of a personal take on what I've been researching.  They have both been helpful so far!

What kind of stuff do you make lists for?  Is it like the spoilerish thing you messed me about?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #499 on: February 22, 2021, 08:10:28 PM »

Someone give me motivation to stop trying to procrastinate! I've been working on the same scene and have bits and pieces of it written, but filling it in is... a process for some unknown reason. Dreams are weird.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #500 on: February 22, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »

The YouTube channels came up during my research.  The podcasts I went looking for, figuring that would be another way to get more of a personal take on what I've been researching.  They have both been helpful so far!

What kind of stuff do you make lists for?  Is it like the spoilerish thing you messed me about?

I'm glad they've been helpful! I haven't found a good podcast I've liked in a while, but I do love a good TED talk any time. I'm sure there's podcasts I'd enjoy, I just haven't stumbled on them yet.

I love lists. I'll make a list for anything. Things like the list you helped me with, I got a good list going naming the last book before I settled on my second idea. Lists of questions. I'm basically an inquiry study away from writing any story, really. Reference lists, trope lists...

I don't actually have that many lists going right now, surprisingly, but I have been trying to get some old things out of my head and on virtual paper instead!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2021, 10:17:05 PM »

Someone give me motivation to stop trying to procrastinate! I've been working on the same scene and have bits and pieces of it written, but filling it in is... a process for some unknown reason. Dreams are weird.

Okay, made it! Phew.a

Anyone have any tricks they use when they find themselves procrastinatin g for no discernibly good reason?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #502 on: February 23, 2021, 08:17:21 PM »

I'm glad they've been helpful! I haven't found a good podcast I've liked in a while, but I do love a good TED talk any time. I'm sure there's podcasts I'd enjoy, I just haven't stumbled on them yet.

I love lists. I'll make a list for anything. Things like the list you helped me with, I got a good list going naming the last book before I settled on my second idea. Lists of questions. I'm basically an inquiry study away from writing any story, really. Reference lists, trope lists...

I don't actually have that many lists going right now, surprisingly, but I have been trying to get some old things out of my head and on virtual paper instead!

I mostly listen to true crime podcasts.  That's how I fall asleep, listening to stories about disappearances, murders, and serial killers. LOL

I make lists when I'm trying to make decisions on things like titles and character names.  It is definitely helpful.

Okay, made it! Phew.a

Anyone have any tricks they use when they find themselves procrastinatin g for no discernibly good reason?

Good for you!

Hm... it's hard when you don't know the reason you're procrastinatin g.  When I know what I want to write, but am having trouble putting it into words, it's usually for one of these reasons:

1. I'm distracted.

Solutions:  Turn off the TV.  Put my phone in another room.  Switch to instrumental music.  Close all other tabs.  Hide the bookmarks bar.  Disconnect from the internet (if I'm really desperate).

or

2. I'm tired.

Solutions:  Drink caffeine.  Take a nap or go to bed, and try again when I wake up.

It's harder when you want to write, know what to write, but can't seem to get going and don't have a good reason why.  Sometimes I push through it and force myself to write something anyway, and other times I give up and try again another time.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #503 on: February 23, 2021, 08:30:56 PM »

I mostly listen to true crime podcasts.  That's how I fall asleep, listening to stories about disappearances, murders, and serial killers. LOL

I make lists when I'm trying to make decisions on things like titles and character names.  It is definitely helpful.

Ah yes, the lulling and peaceful sounds of gruesome murder. Sweet dreams.

Lists and weird written thought vomits/conversations with myself are how I get through writing. They're basically my version of an outline, haha!

Good for you!

Hm... it's hard when you don't know the reason you're procrastinatin g.  When I know what I want to write, but am having trouble putting it into words, it's usually for one of these reasons:

2. I'm tired.

Solutions:  Drink caffeine.  Take a nap or go to bed, and try again when I wake up.

It's harder when you want to write, know what to write, but can't seem to get going and don't have a good reason why.  Sometimes I push through it and force myself to write something anyway, and other times I give up and try again another time.

I think I was tired because I fell asleep almost immediately after I pushed through. Why was I tired at 7:30pm? :shrug: Maybe I need a vacation from the 2020-2021 school year.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #504 on: February 23, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »

Girl, I want to take a nap every night between 5 and 6 p.m.  Sometimes I power through until I get my second wind around 7 or 8, and sometimes I just go sleep for an hour or two.  Tonight I went and lay down, listened to one of my podcasts for a bit, and then got back up without actually falling asleep.  Teaching is exhausting LOL.  This is why I'm usually not productive on school nights.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #505 on: February 23, 2021, 08:46:17 PM »

Teaching is exhausting! I've been doing some internal coaching in other classrooms recently and I am losing my voice from the 20,000 other things I say to their students plus my students. It's been a week. I've also started slipping back into my high-pitched Pre-K Teacher voice, which I have not missed.

I've been trying to make myself be semi-productive during the week because I still worry that this is a lightning in a bottle thing and I don't want to lose it if I can help it. Having written consistently since October and gotten to almost chapter 30 plus being able to pop back in after taking an editing break should convince me otherwise, but I still worry. Meanwhile, we're catching up on Colbert and Bill Gates apparently wrote and published a book in the past year. Crazy, haha.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #506 on: February 23, 2021, 08:50:13 PM »

I get that.  It's good to stay in a routine and at least try writing every day, even if you don't get much done.  I would like to thank you and this forum for at least motivating me to get on the computer on weeknights.  Sometimes that's half the battle.  I actually wrote a few sentences last night, which is better than nothing.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #507 on: February 23, 2021, 08:58:53 PM »

Are you sure I haven't just helped motivate you to continue cementing your supreme time waster status? haha At least it's writing adjacent supreme time wasting? Ooh, a few sentences on a weeknight? That is productive if you don't normally write on weeknights!

What things haven't we discussed related to writing routines? I think we covered most of it?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #508 on: February 23, 2021, 09:06:20 PM »

LOL I would be a supreme time waster either way - if I weren't spending several hours a night chatting on here, I would just be watching TV or playing on my phone.  At least talking about fanfic helps keep me inspired, even if I don't have the mental energy to write until the weekend.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #509 on: February 23, 2021, 09:10:32 PM »

The amount of time I spend on useless apps has decreased a lot since I started writing again. My poor virtual cats, haha.

It has kept me inspired too, I think. Maybe that's why I've been able to stick with the writing is chatting with you and everyone else here. :) So a thanks to you too!
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50