Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 152947 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #555 on: February 27, 2021, 10:27:30 AM »

So I've been reposting one of my old stories from 2011 on wattpad and while I was rereading it a question occurred to me to ask.

What has been your most favorite scene that you've written in a story so far, or a moment that you've written where you've sat and just were proud of yourself for coming up with?

This is a really hard question!  When I think about specific scenes in my stories, I tend to remember the big, pivotal moments - when characters die or almost die, get devastating news, or declare their love for each other - but when I've actually gone back and read my stories, it's often the small moments I forgot about that I enjoy reading the most.  Cute scenes with the guys just joking around, good conversations, and so on.  For example, when we were talking about writing sex scenes recently, I went back and looked up some of mine to see what language I used.  I read Chapter 59 of Sick as My Secrets, which is when Nick and Howie finally hook up for the first time since the actual first time.  I forgot that I didn't actually write a sex scene there; I showed them fooling around in the shower and Nick agreeing to go further, and then I basically faded to black and cut to the next morning in the next chapter.  I also forgot how cute and funny the lead-up to the shower scene was, with Nick and Howie painting Howie's guest room.  I really like that chapter for the bromantic part that comes before the romantic part.

As far as moments I'm most proud of go, they're the ones where I pulled something off that was outside my comfort zone or required a kind of creativity I didn't know I had.  I love my dramas, but since those are my niche, I'm not as likely to go, "Wow, I can't believe I came up with this" with one of them.  It's more the comedies and horror stories that make me feel that way.  I've always thought some of my best writing has been in 00Carter because it brought out a whole different side of me as a writer.  I'm really proud of the parodies I've written for 00Carter, my pandaskunk stories, and the Beauty and the Beast challenge.  If I had to narrow it down to one favorite scene, Chapter 31 of Song for the Undead would be a strong contender.  It's the first zombie chapter and one of the first true horror scenes I wrote, and I love how it turned out - descriptive, emotional, and truly horrifying.  It's both a pivotal moment and a scene that makes me think, "Wow, I can't believe I wrote that."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:29:25 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #556 on: February 27, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »

So I've been reposting one of my old stories from 2011 on wattpad and while I was rereading it a question occurred to me to ask.

What has been your most favorite scene that you've written in a story so far, or a moment that you've written where you've sat and just were proud of yourself for coming up with?

This is a tough question! It's not a scene, I think I'm cheating, but that ch. 43 "Wishes"/ch. 44 "Disciple" chunk of PBox was always my favorite (back when they were one chapter -- ch. 42 at the time). It had some nice Nick & Brian & Minako moments and then Nick got to be a badass. All great. And then I edited PBox and they're even better, especially "Disciple." That's kind of how I've been looking at PNecklace, trying to make me feel toward most of the chapters the way I feel about "Disciple." Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't; there's a few that feel close though.

Going back to PBox again (because I have nothing else to talk about), I did feel very proud of editing out the confusion in Brian's "supposed POV" chapter (ch. 38 "Seer"). I say "supposed" because the head hopping was abysmal in it. Or it was until I edited it. And even though I added more words in the edit than I cut, I felt really proud because it was the one where I got told it was confusing and I feel like I conveyed everything I wanted to convey before for the other characters, but now it is not confusing. Actually making it Brian's POV helped, but he is stupidly chatty.

In general, I'm proud of the saga that is PBox every day. It's taken a lot of brainpower over the years and I'm both excited and nervous to eventually call it complete.

The snail feels like it might be another proud one. I've never actually written a psychological thriller before, and never dreamed that my first one would be about something mundane like a snail. I'm enjoying the framing a lot as I'm writing.

Can't wait to hear yours too, Tracy!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:00:03 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #557 on: February 27, 2021, 12:34:37 PM »

This is a really hard question!  When I think about specific scenes in my stories, I tend to remember the big, pivotal moments - when characters die or almost die, get devastating news, or declare their love for each other - but when I've actually gone back and read my stories, it's often the small moments I forgot about that I enjoy reading the most.

I always feel the same way. It makes sense that it's those big moments that stick out to us because they were the ones we built to and planned for however long the story was going (and probably the ones that got the biggest reaction from the audience). It's nice to remind myself of the little moments because they're what make the characters feel real in their little world. It's usually the heartwarming ones that get me. (See, there's always fluffy in the dark.)

I also forgot how cute and funny the lead-up to the shower scene was, with Nick and Howie painting Howie's guest room.  I really like that chapter for the bromantic part that comes before the romantic part.

I'm cracking up that house painting led to sex. No wonder HGTV is so popular! ;)

As far as moments I'm most proud of go, they're the ones where I pulled something off that was outside my comfort zone or required a kind of creativity I didn't know I had.

You should definitely feel proud of those! It's why it's good to get out of your niche and stretch your brain muscles! You have an infinite well of creativity within you! ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 12:58:11 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #558 on: February 27, 2021, 12:45:15 PM »

I don't want to derail this fun topic, but I also came here ready to roar about pet peeves. I think I've decided on the one I hate the most after all these years while doing some rereading to get ready to write today.

So I'm cruising along, combing over my chapter so far and stumble on a "Brain." Clearly I meant "Brian," and I probably wrote "Brian," but google docs likes to change my "Brian"s to "Brain"s -- sometimes right before my eyes! Why? Why is a "Brain" inevitable even now as technology gets better? Do my fingers type too fast for the computer? Does my own brain work quicker than my fingers? Is my brain a narcissist that wants to be featured in the narrative? What is it?

We've probably discussed pet peeves in general ad nauseam, but have we ever discussed pet peeves in the context of our own work? I know that grammar is one of Julie's hot buttons, for instance, but I can't imagine it's one in her own work except every now and then with an accidental typo.

Also, I was very excited to see that this thread was awesome enough to get a sticky. Will its subsequent thread "The Writing Thread: Orlando Drift (or something slightly more music related)" also get a sticky? I hope so!

Edited to add: "Passaggio" was the word I was looking for to convey the idea I had in mind. I'm glad I took ten minutes out of my day to figure that out! Stay tuned in 15ish pages for the third installment: "The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio"!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 12:57:41 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #559 on: February 27, 2021, 01:23:27 PM »

This is a tough question! It's not a scene, I think I'm cheating, but that ch. 43 "Wishes"/ch. 44 "Disciple" chunk of PBox was always my favorite (back when they were one chapter -- ch. 42 at the time). It had some nice Nick & Brian & Minako moments and then Nick got to be a badass. All great. And then I edited PBox and they're even better, especially "Disciple." That's kind of how I've been looking at PNecklace, trying to make me feel toward most of the chapters the way I feel about "Disciple." Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't; there's a few that feel close though.

That's a great goal to have, but probably not always attainable.  Of course we want to feel good about every chapter we post, but not every chapter is going to have the same level of action or pack the same emotional punch.  If they did, it would be even harder to pick a favorite.  I'm glad you've written a few that feel close to the same way you feel about Disciple.

Going back to PBox again (because I have nothing else to talk about), I did feel very proud of editing out the confusion in Brian's "supposed POV" chapter (ch. 38 "Seer"). I say "supposed" because the head hopping was abysmal in it. Or it was until I edited it. And even though I added more words in the edit than I cut, I felt really proud because it was the one where I got told it was confusing and I feel like I conveyed everything I wanted to convey before for the other characters, but now it is not confusing. Actually making it Brian's POV helped, but he is stupidly chatty.

I'm not a fan of head-hopping either, but I've noticed even JK Rowling did some of that in the first Harry Potter book.  After the first chapter, which serves as more of a prologue, the rest of the book is written in third person limited from Harry's perspective, but all of a sudden during the first Quidditch game, it cuts to the perspective of Ron and Hermione in the stands noticing that "Snape" is cursing Harry's broomstick and taking care of that.  I get why she did that because it was more fun to read that play out in real time than hear Hermione and Ron recount it for Harry later, but it does seem a bit out of place.  Apparently her editor was okay with it though.  Just goes to show even successful published authors do this sometimes and get away with it.

The snail feels like it might be another proud one. I've never actually written a psychological thriller before, and never dreamed that my first one would be about something mundane like a snail. I'm enjoying the framing a lot as I'm writing.

I never dreamed I would be excited to read a psychological thriller about a snail, but here we are LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #560 on: February 27, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »

I'm cracking up that house painting led to sex. No wonder HGTV is so popular! ;)

LOL I'm pretty sure there's even a reference to HGTV in that scene.

That reminds of me the commercial parody SNL did a few weeks ago for Zillow: https://youtu.be/yEfsaXDX0UQ  So funny and so true!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #561 on: February 27, 2021, 01:40:05 PM »

That's a great goal to have, but probably not always attainable.

Also, it would be exhausting as a reader, I think, haha. I wonder how it would feel to have a whole novel where every single part of it was action-packed or emotional gut punches. Would the beginning chapters feel less so than the later ones because they have to be so much more to keep momentum going? A whole new conundrum...

Just goes to show even successful published authors do this sometimes and get away with it.

I think it's the sometimes that makes a big difference. Like every now and then, it's okay to break the rules, but if you do it all the time, then it probably needs to be reined in a bit. Though, I guess that's also why writing "rules" exist so that we can all be cognizant of them when we're intentionally breaking them.

I never dreamed I would be excited to read a psychological thriller about a snail, but here we are LOL.

LMAO!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #562 on: February 27, 2021, 01:41:28 PM »

LOL I'm pretty sure there's even a reference to HGTV in that scene.

That reminds of me the commercial parody SNL did a few weeks ago for Zillow: https://youtu.be/yEfsaXDX0UQ  So funny and so true!

You've gotta at that point! OMG, I hadn't seen that. LMAO! The best part was calling the real estate agent and she sounded like Linda from Coffee Talk. That's gotta be a rude awakening after you browse houses that must have a pool.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #563 on: February 27, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »

I don't want to derail this fun topic, but I also came here ready to roar about pet peeves. I think I've decided on the one I hate the most after all these years while doing some rereading to get ready to write today.

So I'm cruising along, combing over my chapter so far and stumble on a "Brain." Clearly I meant "Brian," and I probably wrote "Brian," but google docs likes to change my "Brian"s to "Brain"s -- sometimes right before my eyes! Why? Why is a "Brain" inevitable even now as technology gets better? Do my fingers type too fast for the computer? Does my own brain work quicker than my fingers? Is my brain a narcissist that wants to be featured in the narrative? What is it?

Ugh, Brain!  I agree, that is an annoying one, yet an easy mistake to make and not catch, since it's also a word.  It's not like spell check will catch it.  I don't know that Google Docs has ever changed Brian to brain for me, but it used to tell me that Howie was spelled wrong all the time.  I think I finally had to add Howie's name to the custom dictionary so it would stop giving it the red squiggle.  It's weird what words it recognizes and what words it doesn't.

Edited to add:  Also, the Google thesaurus is freaking hilarious!  When I'm struggling with word choice, I'll often right click on a word and click on "Define" to get some synonyms.  Some of the ones they have for body parts and bodily fluids crack me up!

We've probably discussed pet peeves in general ad nauseam, but have we ever discussed pet peeves in the context of our own work? I know that grammar is one of Julie's hot buttons, for instance, but I can't imagine it's one in her own work except every now and then with an accidental typo.

I don't typically make many grammatical mistakes, unless they're typos I didn't catch, but one that I've noticed I used to write a lot was "So-and-so's heart sunk" instead of "sank."  Now that sounds about as bad to me as saying "I seen" instead of "I saw," but apparently it used to sound okay.  I've been trying to fix that one when I come across it in the stories I care about.

The biggest typos I make and don't always catch are leaving out words.  That is definitely a case of my brain going faster than my fingers, or sometimes it's the result of me accidentally deleting one too many words when I edit a sentence.  That's where the text-to-speech, if I can stop laughing at it, will come in handy.  I used it to listen to the last few chapters of Bethlehem before I posted them, and I do think it helped.

What about things you do that you know are considered "bad writing," but do anyway?  For example, I enjoy using occasional adverbs and dialogue tags other than said.  Necessary or not, sometimes I just like the way they sound.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:52:03 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #564 on: February 27, 2021, 02:48:50 PM »

Ugh, Brain!  I agree, that is an annoying one, yet an easy mistake to make and not catch, since it's also a word.  It's not like spell check will catch it.  I don't know that Google Docs has ever changed Brian to brain for me, but it used to tell me that Howie was spelled wrong all the time.  I think I finally had to add Howie's name to the custom dictionary so it would stop giving it the red squiggle.  It's weird what words it recognizes and what words it doesn't.

Edited to add:  Also, the Google thesaurus is freaking hilarious!  When I'm struggling with word choice, I'll often right click on a word and click on "Define" to get some synonyms.  Some of the ones they have for body parts and bodily fluids crack me up!

Which is annoying because why would brain be capitalized or say anything! Google, you should know better! It doesn't tell me in the documents that Howie is spelled wrong (it does here on the forum), but I know that I didn't add it to the dictionary. It tells me all the time that the country names are spelled wrong, but not consistently. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's "spelled wrong" and I have no idea why. It never tells me that Minako's name is spelled wrong either. I really don't get the logic. But it also probably hates me because Howie uses the "royal we" and it blue lines everything when I match the verb tenses to the "we" but the rest of the sentence seems off to it. Whatever I wrote always sounds correct if I say it out loud though.

I'm going to need an example for your edited to add so that I can laugh too. Also I can see why you would get tired of typing the same body part or bodily fluid over and over again. ;)

I don't typically make many grammatical mistakes, unless they're typos I didn't catch, but one that I've noticed I used to write a lot was "So-and-so's heart sunk" instead of "sank."  Now that sounds about as bad to me as saying "I seen" instead of "I saw," but apparently it used to sound okay.  I've been trying to fix that one when I come across it in the stories I care about.

"Rose" versus "raised" was one that got me all the time in the initial run of PBox; I changed so many of them in the edit. Which is so silly, because I know that the something or someone causing whatever is a big part of raise versus rise. I probably just thought "Oh, in this third person omniscient dark place, 'rose' sounds so much more poetic" or something.

The biggest typos I make and don't always catch are leaving out words.  That is definitely a case of my brain going faster than my fingers, or sometimes it's the result of me accidentally deleting one too many words when I edit a sentence.  That's where the text-to-speech, if I can stop laughing at it, will come in handy.  I used it to listen to the last few chapters of Bethlehem before I posted them, and I do think it helped.

That's the main reason I started using the text-to-speech. Catch the things my brain fills in, please! As long as it's helping, even if you laugh at it the whole time, then it is worthwhile to use! I'm glad it's done you some good service.

What about things you do that you know are considered "bad writing," but do anyway?  For example, I enjoy using occasional adverbs and dialogue tags other than said.  Necessary or not, sometimes I just like the way they sound.

For dialogue tags, "interjected" is the one I find myself still using sometimes. "Interjected adverbly" or "questioned adverbly" were all over PBox. I tried so hard to get rid of most of them, but then I worry I may now have the opposite problem. Suddenly, everyone is a busy body who is always doing something as they speak! I blame language arts at the time we were growing up when we got told that "said" was lazy. And it's not wrong, said is lazy when you could show the characters' tears or something, but "'insert dialogue here,' so-and-so sobbed sadly" is also lazy... and just kind of weird. I feel like there was detail missing in the "said is lazy" instruction. "Said is lazy because..." The other way I've been trying to get around it is making everyone's speech patterns so abundantly clear that there's never a question of who is speaking. It's harder when everyone is together than when it's just two  or three of them having a conversation.

Oh, I know one that I do so much, it's abysmal. "So-and-so clenched their fist." I don't know why I wrote "so-and-so," it's usually Nick. "Nick clenched his fist." "Nick's clenched fist shook violently." "Nick growled and clenched his fist." [An aside... Yo, they're demons; I figure they can actually growl like dogs. And I hope that when I've written it, anyone reading has read it as "*growling sound* I'll murder you!" because that's exactly what I meant rather than "A rough and gravely voice shouted, 'I'll murder you!'" (Though people growling dialogue would be another one in general, probably, but that's not what I'm focusing on.)] By definition, a fist is a clenched hand! It's so stupid. But "balled his hands" sounds so lame. And I could use hundreds of words that show he's angry (and often do as well), but in the movie in my head, he's ready to punch 90% of the time, so y'all should know that too. I don't have a good solution for this one. I 100% know that it's bad and I do it abundantly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:52:09 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #565 on: February 27, 2021, 04:14:42 PM »

There are so many scenes that I've written that I absolutely love.

First one that comes to mind. The scene where Nick's taking a bath and Brian runs in the bathroom to tell Nick that Amanda is in labor in You Give Love A Bad Name is hilarious. I crack up when I think of that one.

The one in Finding Carter when Nick and Kevin are drinking on New Year's and Kevin spills a huge secret (won't post it for spoilers)

The moment in When I Grow Up where there's a huge twist near the end of the story (again can't post what it is cause I'm sure neither of you have read it)

In Figured You Out when Howie figures out that Valerie and Lucy are the same person, and the boys do detective work to find where Nick is. I think that chapter was one of my favorites in that story.

There's really so many moments but these were the ones that stuck out.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #566 on: February 27, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »

I can actually answer Tracy’s question about favorite scenes and moments because even though I have a crap memory, many scenes and moments I’ve written I’ll never forget.

Some of my favorites are the scene in Whatever the Night May Bring, where the guys have to walk through a pile of dead birds on the road and cringed as their bones broke under their feet.  I don’t know what it is about that, but it was the most visual one for me in that story.

Same with Shadow Woods when there were a bunch of ghostly heads peering just above the water line in the lake.

The scene where Brian remembers writing the word MINE on Nick’s arm

And two from Why I’d Do It All Again - when Nick falls out of the window trying to answer his cell phone and when he sees the guys in the deli as he’s drinking a milkshake lol

None of those are earth shattering, well maybe except for the MINE one, but just little scenes and moments that I loved writing.

In closing, I’m very dark lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #567 on: February 27, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »

First one that comes to mind. The scene where Nick's taking a bath and Brian runs in the bathroom to tell Nick that Amanda is in labor in You Give Love A Bad Name is hilarious. I crack up when I think of that one.

I love little moments like that, the ones that still make you laugh months or years later. I always wonder if anyone else finds them as funny as I do, but I figure if it still makes me laugh however long later, then it's done its job.

I love that Nick was taking a bath; what an inopportune time for labor.

The one in Finding Carter when Nick and Kevin are drinking on New Year's and Kevin spills a huge secret (won't post it for spoilers)

The moment in When I Grow Up where there's a huge twist near the end of the story (again can't post what it is cause I'm sure neither of you have read it)

C'mon, spoilers! Spoilers! Spoilers! I'm kidding; stay true to your spoilers policy. There should be a place on this board where we can all tell each other spoilers in the context of our discussions, but you can only see it if you're registered.

In Figured You Out when Howie figures out that Valerie and Lucy are the same person, and the boys do detective work to find where Nick is. I think that chapter was one of my favorites in that story.

This sounds so Hardy Boys of them.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #568 on: February 27, 2021, 05:56:54 PM »

Maybe Julilly stickied this thread because I know I didn’t lol unless I did it accidentally
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #569 on: February 27, 2021, 05:57:12 PM »

I can actually answer Tracy’s question about favorite scenes and moments because even though I have a crap memory, many scenes and moments I’ve written I’ll never forget.

Yay! You've got some memorable ones.

Some of my favorites are the scene in Whatever the Night May Bring, where the guys have to walk through a pile of dead birds on the road and cringed as their bones broke under their feet.  I don’t know what it is about that, but it was the most visual one for me in that story.

I don't remember if I'd read this one (or you wrote it during my hiatus), but I said "eww" audibly as I pictured dead bird bones breaking underfoot. And the fact that I can picture it from a summary means we're both extremely dark, go us!

Same with Shadow Woods when there were a bunch of ghostly heads peering just above the water line in the lake.

The scene where Brian remembers writing the word MINE on Nick’s arm

And two from Why I’d Do It All Again - when Nick falls out of the window trying to answer his cell phone and when he sees the guys in the deli as he’s drinking a milkshake lol

None of those are earth shattering, well maybe except for the MINE one, but just little scenes and moments that I loved writing.

In closing, I’m very dark lol

Those are all great ones; I need to reread these. Oh Why I'd Do It All Again, lol.

It's fun on Team Dark.  ;D
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50