Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 153086 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #570 on: February 27, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »

Maybe Julilly stickied this thread because I know I didn’t lol unless I did it accidentally
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #571 on: February 27, 2021, 05:59:14 PM »

I think you were on hiatus when I posted that one.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #572 on: February 27, 2021, 06:05:02 PM »

I think you were on hiatus when I posted that one.

Now I feel better about not remembering it! I was feeling a little bad.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #573 on: February 27, 2021, 06:09:57 PM »

I love little moments like that, the ones that still make you laugh months or years later. I always wonder if anyone else finds them as funny as I do, but I figure if it still makes me laugh however long later, then it's done its job.

I love that Nick was taking a bath; what an inopportune time for labor.

This was especially hilarious because in real life Nick's posted about taking baths. I always went "Ha, I knew he liked baths" xD

C'mon, spoilers! Spoilers! Spoilers! I'm kidding; stay true to your spoilers policy. There should be a place on this board where we can all tell each other spoilers in the context of our discussions, but you can only see it if you're registered.

This sounds so Hardy Boys of them.

All the Detective work was just a fun element of the story to write. AJ, Howie and Brian looking for clues and figuring out the mystery together.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #574 on: February 27, 2021, 06:11:40 PM »

Lmao Mare I love that part when Nick falls out of the window and into the rose bushes, landing on a sandwich. That whole story was so good.

The Mine part gave me chills when I read it, I've had conversations with friends about that story, it's one of my favorite stories by you.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #575 on: February 27, 2021, 06:25:11 PM »

This was especially hilarious because in real life Nick's posted about taking baths. I always went "Ha, I knew he liked baths" xD

Hahaha, I love when little things like that end up being true too. I had a similar moment watching the documentary when they were hiking up the hill, since I always figured Kevin would force them to go on hikes and AJ would always be really underprepared in his skinny jeans.

All the Detective work was just a fun element of the story to write. AJ, Howie and Brian looking for clues and figuring out the mystery together.

I'm picturing them in those little Sherlock Holmes hats with magnifying glasses!  :D
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #576 on: February 27, 2021, 06:36:33 PM »

This is slightly off-topic, but I finally figured out why I spent the past two days writing ahead instead of focusing on the current chapter I should be writing: I was starting it in the wrong place, apparently. AJ's too quiet. He needs to say "I'm bored and have things I need to do and say" much louder so I can hear him over Nick constantly screaming in my head. And it doesn't help when Nick's only screaming "Awesome! Keep going!" because then everything seems fine. Maybe all the Boys are constantly screaming, but they all scream internally, while Nick screams extremely externally.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #577 on: February 27, 2021, 07:52:03 PM »

I'm going to need an example for your edited to add so that I can laugh too. Also I can see why you would get tired of typing the same body part or bodily fluid over and over again. ;)

Presenting a list of Google's synonyms for body parts and fluids:

penis: phallus, (male) member, (male) organ, sex, erection, pee-pee, mickey, lunch box, intromittent organ, membrum virile, virile member, nerve, person, propagator, tarse, verge, pizzle, loom, needle, pillicock, pintle, runnion

breast: mammary gland, mamma, bosom(s), bust, chest, boobs, knockers, boobies, bazookas, melons, jubblies, bubbies, orbs, globes, bristols, charlies, baps, bazooms, casabas, chi-chis, norks, dugs, paps, embonpoint

butt: buttocks, bottom, cheeks, hindquarters, haunches, rear, rump, rear end, backside, seat, derrière, Sitzfleisch, nates, behind, sit-upon, stern, BTM, tochus, rusty dusty, bum, botty, prat, jacksie, bahookie, fanny, tush, tushie, tail, duff, buns, booty, caboose, heinie, patootie, keister, tuchis, bazoo, bippy, batty, rass, fundament, posterior, breech

vomit: sick, vomitus, ejecta, puke, spew, technicolor yawn, liquid laugh, pavement pizza, barf, upchuck, chunder, purge, parbreak

feces: excrement, bodily waste, waste matter, ordure, dung, manure, scat, excreta, stools, droppings, dirt, filth, muck, mess, poo, doo-doo, doings, turds, caca, cack, whoopsies, jobbies, poop, night soil, egesta, feculence

Those are the best ones I found. :D  (And yes, my sense of humor is about as mature as my 9-year-old students.)

Oh, I know one that I do so much, it's abysmal. "So-and-so clenched their fist." I don't know why I wrote "so-and-so," it's usually Nick. "Nick clenched his fist." "Nick's clenched fist shook violently." "Nick growled and clenched his fist." [An aside... Yo, they're demons; I figure they can actually growl like dogs. And I hope that when I've written it, anyone reading has read it as "*growling sound* I'll murder you!" because that's exactly what I meant rather than "A rough and gravely voice shouted, 'I'll murder you!'" (Though people growling dialogue would be another one in general, probably, but that's not what I'm focusing on.)] By definition, a fist is a clenched hand! It's so stupid. But "balled his hands" sounds so lame. And I could use hundreds of words that show he's angry (and often do as well), but in the movie in my head, he's ready to punch 90% of the time, so y'all should know that too. I don't have a good solution for this one. I 100% know that it's bad and I do it abundantly.

I get what you're saying, but "clenched" sounds so much better than "made a fist" or "balled his hands."  Clenched is more powerful and descriptive; it shows anger and frustration.  To me, that makes up for it being a bit redundant.  You could always say he "clenched his hands into fists" instead.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #578 on: February 27, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »

In Figured You Out when Howie figures out that Valerie and Lucy are the same person, and the boys do detective work to find where Nick is. I think that chapter was one of my favorites in that story.

Yes!  That was such a fun story.  I still think of it whenever the song Figured You Out pops up on my playlist.

The scene where Brian remembers writing the word MINE on Nick’s arm

In closing, I’m very dark lol

Iconic!!  You've written so many great stories, but you will always be known for MINE around here LOL.  Team Dark forever!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #579 on: February 27, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »

Presenting a list of Google's synonyms for body parts and fluids:

penis: mickey, lunch box, pizzle

breast: norks

butt: jacksie, bahookie

vomit: pavement pizza

feces: whoopsies, jobbies, night soil

Those are the best ones I found. :D  (And yes, my sense of humor is about as mature as my 9-year-old students.)

WTF?!? LMFAO! Several more of them were funny, but those are the ones that stood out as hilariously confusing.

I get what you're saying, but "clenched" sounds so much better than "made a fist" or "balled his hands."  Clenched is more powerful and descriptive; it shows anger and frustration.  To me, that makes up for it being a bit redundant.  You could always say he "clenched his hands into fists" instead.

Yup! That's why I keep using it, honestly; clenched sounds better. At this point, even though I know it's a redundant department of redundancy, I've just committed to it... abundantly. That's a fun game I should have played. How many times does Nick do that in PBox? I'm sure it's plentiful.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #580 on: February 27, 2021, 08:23:26 PM »

Iconic!!  You've written so many great stories, but you will always be known for MINE around here LOL.  Team Dark forever!

It's true! MINE is unforgettable.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #581 on: February 27, 2021, 08:48:52 PM »

WTF?!? LMFAO! Several more of them were funny, but those are the ones that stood out as hilariously confusing.

Right?!  I think I discovered it several years ago with vomit.  I seem to write a lot of scenes with vomit - much less since I stopped writing cancer stories, but it still comes up from time to time, and I find myself looking for new ways to describe the act without being repetitive.  "Pavement pizza," "technicolor yawn," and "liquid laugh" are not quite the colorful metaphors I was looking for though LOL.  I have literally never heard of some of those terms.  Night soil???  No!  And lunch box???  WTF?

Also I laughed at "orbs" being used for boobs.  Mare's favorite!

That's a fun game I should have played. How many times does Nick do that in PBox? I'm sure it's plentiful.

I'm pretty sure I did play the "How many times does Nick do that?" game with vomiting in Broken LOL.  That is definitely where most of said puke scenes appeared.

Edited to add:
In my late night boredom, I really did go through Broken once and tally up how many times I used each reference to vomit, and because I am a file hoarder, I still have the list saved.  I just found it LOL.

Vomit: 24
Puke: 11
Throw up/threw up: 34
Barf: 8
Ralph: 1
Regurgitate: 1
Got sick: 2
Retch: 14
Heave: 22
Gag: 11
Nausea (and variations): 68
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:56:24 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #582 on: February 27, 2021, 09:15:32 PM »

Right?!  I think I discovered it several years ago with vomit.  I seem to write a lot of scenes with vomit - much less since I stopped writing cancer stories, but it still comes up from time to time, and I find myself looking for new ways to describe the act without being repetitive.  "Pavement pizza," "technicolor yawn," and "liquid laugh" are not quite the colorful metaphors I was looking for though LOL.  I have literally never heard of some of those terms.  Night soil???  No!  And lunch box???  WTF?

You're right, vomit is a pretty common occurrence when cancer is involved and I feel like we all get bored writing the same type of phrasing over and over again when things come up frequently.

I probably use gag, heave, and nausea whenever it comes up. I agree, these are not the right colorful metaphors! Never have I ever considered vomiting comparable to laughing in any way!

I feel like with "lunch box," the author just wants to call the dude a snack. I get it. Just all the guy a snack and be done with it.

Also I laughed at "orbs" being used for boobs.  Mare's favorite!

Orbs! The perfect descriptor for anything round and large on a body! Eyes, boobs, balls, butts, nostrils, tumors!

I'm pretty sure I did play the "How many times does Nick do that?" game with vomiting in Broken LOL.  That is definitely where most of said puke scenes appeared.

Edited to add: I just found it LOL.

Poor Nick, getting sick 196 times! That's like once per chapter. The "how many times" game is loads and loads of fun -- an entertaining time waster for sure!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #583 on: February 27, 2021, 09:19:17 PM »

Orbs! The perfect descriptor for anything round and large on a body! Eyes, boobs, balls, butts, nostrils, tumors!

Tumors! LMAO!  Now I want to write that brain tumor story after all just so I can use the word orbs when describing the CT scan.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #584 on: February 27, 2021, 09:27:00 PM »

Tumors! LMAO!  Now I want to write that brain tumor story after all just so I can use the word orbs when describing the CT scan.

Excellent, my plan to inspire you through a joke and make you laugh worked! Muahahaha!

I'm joking, I just added it because I knew you would think it was funny and we were talking about Broken.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50