Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50

Author Topic: 2 Writing 2 Thread  (Read 153077 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: 2 Writing 2 Thread
« Reply #615 on: March 01, 2021, 08:14:26 PM »

Uh... All my better ideas seemed like group stories and then Nick has main character vibes on top of that? I don't have a good answer for this, haha. I think it's idea first, then characters, but it never ends up fully formed unless character roles are the immediate successor in the loose plan. I'd rather have fully fleshed out characters and a partially fleshed out idea than the opposite.

I agree with this.  I'm usually idea first, then characters too, but yeah... if you don't have characters in mind, it's hard for the idea to really take shape.  I have done the "I want to write an A-Rok story" thing, but that never works out for me as well as the other way around.  That's when I end up forcing out ideas for the sake of coming up with something for certain characters.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #616 on: March 01, 2021, 08:19:20 PM »

I bet the people watching was awesome! It's good that Donnie went into acting like Marky-Mark. ;)

Yes! They should just have a four hour concert and sing all of Millennium, plus the classics, and then some new stuff. That '98 choreography was money. I guess I'm thankful that they've kept the Backstreet's Back and LTL choreography all these years, if nothing else. And, truthfully, I didn't mind that they did medleys/"solos" for about half the DNA album and put in some older songs again. It was more what I expected the residency to be like (though I did really like the surprise GAB).

Donnie is a charismatic performer, but as a singer... well... now I understand why most of his solos were rapping parts LOL.

I would gladly go to a four-hour concert!  The problem is they just have too many songs.  I want to hear all the singles, plus the old gems that weren't singles, plus every track from the newest album, plus something from the Kevinless era and IAWLT... and it just doesn't all fit into two hours anymore.  I like what they did with the shortened solo versions of some of the DNA songs, except they didn't do Passionate justice.  They should have sung the whole thing!

I am also grateful they've kept a lot of the old choreo and even brought some of it back, like for WGIGO.  Seeing them do the chair dance again after all these years was amazing!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #617 on: March 01, 2021, 08:24:50 PM »

Yes, yes you have!  Take Care was a bonus track on the Target version of IAWLT, and it's one of the best songs on an already amazing album.  Here it is if you haven't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfKj27Pdq4Q&ab_channel=snakenp

My fault for getting it on Amazon instead of scoping out the best place to get it like I did for Black & Blue, haha.

I agree with this.  I'm usually idea first, then characters too, but yeah... if you don't have characters in mind, it's hard for the idea to really take shape.  I have done the "I want to write an A-Rok story" thing, but that never works out for me as well as the other way around.  That's when I end up forcing out ideas for the sake of coming up with something for certain characters.

Dee circa 2006: I should write a Nick romance! *has the vaguest of vague ideas* Perfect! *two chapters in* Eh!

Oh, 2006. That was either my sign to not pigeonhole Nick into things or that I wasn't a romance main genre writer, haha. I feel like the stories never end up as good if I'm just forcing ideas out for something whether it's characters, a tiny idea without characters, or a genre.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #618 on: March 01, 2021, 08:33:21 PM »

I would gladly go to a four-hour concert!  The problem is they just have too many songs.  I want to hear all the singles, plus the old gems that weren't singles, plus every track from the newest album, plus something from the Kevinless era and IAWLT... and it just doesn't all fit into two hours anymore.  I like what they did with the shortened solo versions of some of the DNA songs, except they didn't do Passionate justice.  They should have sung the whole thing!

I am also grateful they've kept a lot of the old choreo and even brought some of it back, like for WGIGO.  Seeing them do the chair dance again after all these years was amazing!

Same! But that would also tire them out and there would be less shows overall, probably. I don't want to deny the Boys to a city that wants to see them. I wouldn't mind if they did some mashups with some of the older songs that weren't singles. Anything to hear them again.

Yes! The chair dance! A friend who's a cursory fan went with me to both the Residency and the 1st leg of the DNA tour and she spent most of her time laughing at the things that made me excited, which were the things like that.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #619 on: March 02, 2021, 04:30:27 AM »

Yes, yes you have!  Take Care was a bonus track on the Target version of IAWLT, and it's one of the best songs on an already amazing album.  Here it is if you haven't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfKj27Pdq4Q&ab_channel=snakenp

I have it for a download here on my Media Archive too, Dee. Fair warning, this can be a black hole cause there's a LOT and I mean a LOT of media you can download here LOL.

https://darksideofbackstreet.wordpress.com/the-dark-side-of-backstreet-media-archive/
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #620 on: March 02, 2021, 04:36:28 AM »

I'm still mad about them not doing ALL of Passionate LOL.

Honestly the NKOTBSB tour was fun but not something I ever want back. That said, even though I love having Kevin back I do think Nick grew a lot as an artist during that time so, in a way it's good those albums happened without him. Not to mention some real gems came about then like Downpour, Undone, This Is Us (the song), Unmistakable, Everything But Mine...not to mention unreleased songs like On Without You and Trouble. I also wonder if the Boys would've broken down that wall between the fans without Kevin there. Like that's when VIPs started, that's when the cruises came. Who knows?

But NKOTBSB brought back 10,000 Promises and If You Stay and had Nick singing Raspberry Beret so, it had it's good moments too.

I agree though that rearranging the classics can really backfire. Sometimes it's good - like I enjoy when Nick does that sort of thing with his solo songs. But other times no. As for set lists, I'm over them ignoring Unmistakable and In A World Like This, and This Is Us with the exception of Undone. We like those songs too!

The DNA tour did a good job trying to include some deep cuts. I live for It's Gotta Be You coming back and I Wanna Be With You.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #621 on: March 02, 2021, 04:58:49 AM »

NKOTBSB was my favorite tour. It made me a NKOTB fan. It was my first time meeting BSB in person
So many good memories from that tour.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #622 on: March 02, 2021, 02:17:48 PM »

My ideal BSB concert, like I’ve said many times before, is just two or three hours of them sitting on stools and singing their songs. Preferably a cappella. No background dancers, no special effects, no opening acts or costume changes or choreography (maybe just the famous ones like Everybody) and no collaborations with other groups. Just them and a small band backing them up.

My favorite concerts are the kind where I don’t feel the need to murder people who hold up signs and stand on their chairs screaming at the top of their lungs when I’m just trying to enjoy the music. Lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #623 on: March 02, 2021, 02:27:39 PM »

Going along with the "What sparked this Kevin & Nick story trend?" topic from last night, how do you decide which boys your story's mainly going to be about?  Do you set out thinking "I want to write a story about Kevin and Nick"?  Or do you come up with an idea and then cast your characters based on which boys would work best with it?

In the case of my current story, I was inspired by the song "Take Care."  The minute I heard that song, I was like, "Oh, this is a hurt/comfort song waiting to happen."  I "cast" Kevin based on the lyric Nick sings:  "You... you've always stood so tall.  I never thought you'd fall.  But now it's you that's fading."  That description fit Kevin best, so from then on, it became a Kevin & Nick idea.

When I wrote, I tried to do my best to make almost every story a Group story. Giving them as much equal time as possible by alternating chapters for each boy. The reason I did that was because I wanted to make sure that no matter who you considered your favorite, they would be equally featured in the story, thereby having people want to read it regardless how the plot ended up going. In that aspect I was a very one trick pony and most of my stuff was Nick centered but by the time people realized that, they had already invested their time in it lol

I believe the only story I ever wrote which didn’t include everyone was Fly Fishing and I knew from the get-go it was going to be a Kevin and Nick story. I felt most comfortable writing in their voices so it was a no brainer for me. The biggest issue with that one was just trying to figure out why. I almost revisited the idea of having them compete on Amazing Race but I knew I’d have to do too much research on places and I was far too lazy to do that so I went with something I could totally see Kevin doing which was fishing.

I have written stories where each one of the boys took center stage. The hardest was Howie, which was also the worst (Sorry Howie) my most popular though was Brian ironically lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #624 on: March 02, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »

I have it for a download here on my Media Archive too, Dee. Fair warning, this can be a black hole cause there's a LOT and I mean a LOT of media you can download here LOL.

https://darksideofbackstreet.wordpress.com/the-dark-side-of-backstreet-media-archive/

Appreciate you! :-* But I will have to go down that black hole over a weekend. Gotta stay semi-productive today for a meeting later.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #625 on: March 02, 2021, 04:43:51 PM »

I'm still mad about them not doing ALL of Passionate LOL.

Honestly the NKOTBSB tour was fun but not something I ever want back. That said, even though I love having Kevin back I do think Nick grew a lot as an artist during that time so, in a way it's good those albums happened without him. Not to mention some real gems came about then like Downpour, Undone, This Is Us (the song), Unmistakable, Everything But Mine...not to mention unreleased songs like On Without You and Trouble. I also wonder if the Boys would've broken down that wall between the fans without Kevin there. Like that's when VIPs started, that's when the cruises came. Who knows?

Yeah, it's weird because although the group never felt quite whole without Kevin, that era was one of the best times to be a fan because they became so much more accessible than they had been before.  I'm not sure that had anything to do with Kevin leaving; I think it was more just the result of boybands being "out" and them not being as popular as before, which allowed them do play smaller venues and offer VIP packages and soundcheck parties and cruises and all that fun stuff that would have been difficult to do in 1998-2000 because of how crazy it would have become.  It was so much easier to get good seats and meet them for a fraction of what VIP costs now.  I think the IAWLT era was the best of both worlds in that respect - Kevin came back, and they were still accessible (even more so because there was no barrier for photos!).
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #626 on: March 02, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »

The DNA tour did a good job trying to include some deep cuts. I live for It's Gotta Be You coming back and I Wanna Be With You.

More deep cuts!

I think the IAWLT era was the best of both worlds in that respect - Kevin came back, and they were still accessible (even more so because there was no barrier for photos!).

I picked the wrong time to be student teaching and also slightly distanced, haha. Oh well, some day.

My favorite concerts are the kind where I don’t feel the need to murder people who hold up signs and stand on their chairs screaming at the top of their lungs when I’m just trying to enjoy the music. Lol

Do people still do this? I can't think of the last time I saw a sign or chair standing.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #627 on: March 02, 2021, 04:50:14 PM »

In that aspect I was a very one trick pony and most of my stuff was Nick centered but by the time people realized that, they had already invested their time in it lol

That's the best thing to do with your writing, trick people into getting far enough into it so that whatever weird thing you planned doesn't matter. ;)
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #628 on: March 02, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »

More deep cuts!

I picked the wrong time to be student teaching and also slightly distanced, haha. Oh well, some day.

Do people still do this? I can't think of the last time I saw a sign or chair standing.

Honestly, I have no idea. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a concert but the last one I went too yes, they did all those things. I think the last time I saw them Eva was just born so it’s been a minute lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #629 on: March 02, 2021, 07:52:27 PM »

My ideal BSB concert, like I’ve said many times before, is just two or three hours of them sitting on stools and singing their songs. Preferably a cappella. No background dancers, no special effects, no opening acts or costume changes or choreography (maybe just the famous ones like Everybody) and no collaborations with other groups. Just them and a small band backing them up.

I agree with all of this except the choreography.  I love when they dance!  But definitely no backup dancers, just the boys.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50