Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Character Name Suggestions  (Read 10050 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Character Name Suggestions
« on: February 10, 2021, 09:21:48 PM »

I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who, like me, spends way too much time deciding on character names.  If you have a character name in mind, you can post with a brief description of the character, and people who like coming up with names can suggest some!

I literally spent like 4 hours on Sunday thinking about a name for a third-tier character in my Kevin story.  Based on what I knew about her, I wanted her to have a feminine name that has a male-sounding nickname, such as "Sam" for Samantha.  I brainstormed on my own, then did some Googling for lists of such names and made my own list of options.  And in the end, what did I decide on?  Sam/Samantha... which was my example all along LOL.  Keep it simple, stupid.

Anyway, the next minor character I need to name is a douchey, frat boy-type college kid.  Any suggestions?  The first name that comes to my mind for this type is "Chad," but I'm looking to branch out LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Character Name Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:30:27 PM »

I am bad at character names myself. Funny story, Chad is the name of one of my characters in the Brian romance I was talking about posting. It's the name of a stereotypical college jock.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 10:56:17 PM »

I love this thread!

Anyway, the next minor character I need to name is a douchey, frat boy-type college kid.  Any suggestions?  The first name that comes to my mind for this type is "Chad," but I'm looking to branch out LOL.

Douchey frat boys are my wheelhouse! May I suggest any of the following:

Adam, Allen, Andrew or Andy, Anthony, Baker, Ben, Blake, Brett, Casey, Chad (I know you said you wanted something different), Chris, Cody, Colin, Corbin, Dan, Darren, Dave or David, Drew, Dylan, Elliott, Eric, Ethan, Gabe, Garrett, Grant, Greg, Harry, Ian, Isaac, Jake, Jason, Jeff or Jeffrey, Jesse, Joe, John, Jordan, Josh, Justin, Kenny, Kirk, Kurt, Kyle, Lance, Lee, Luke, Marc or Mark, Matt, Mike or Michael, Nate, Neil, Patrick, Paul, Peter, Phil, Reed, Richard, Rod, Ross, Ryan, Sam, Scott, Sean or Shawn, Seth, Shane, Steve or Steven or Stephen, Tanner, Taylor, Tim, TJ (or whatever initials would work equally well), Tommy (but never Tom), Tony, Travis, Tyler, Will, Zach or Zack

To be fair, not all of these people were/are douches, but was what I gathered from a quick scan of "frat guys in my contacts list." If you want more options, I can go through facebook for more choices. I'm also happy to bold douchey ex-boyfriends if you want them especially douchey. I left off the AJs, Brians, and Kevins in my contacts (for obvious reasons). I have never met a terrible Nick. I know zero Howies.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:58:29 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:18:48 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!  In alphabetical order, too!

I can't think of any other Howies I know either.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 09:21:28 PM »

In Finding Carter I used Howie and AJ as frat boys. A couple others I used were Brock and Gary. Although Gary sounds nerdy haha.

Brody is a good one. Brady, Brandon, Jake, Jordan. I knew a kid named Jordan in gym class and he was a dick.

Greg is a good own. Brent. Max, Jay.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »

LOL Gary sounds like a middle-aged man.  I always laugh at the name Gary because it's one of the names Trey Parker and Matt Stone use repeatedly in their stuff (along with "Kevin" LOL).  Gary was the main character in Team America: World Police.

Brock is a great douchey frat boy name though!

I see some of these names and think of students I've had and if they were nice or assholes LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!  In alphabetical order, too!

I can't think of any other Howies I know either.

Gotta go alphabetical.

I dated two Bretts that were both douchey, so that would have been my number one suggestion for you. However, variety is the spice of life.

Wasn't Nick's character in The Hollow named Brody? haha
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 09:35:37 PM »

LOL Yes, it was Brody.  I have only had nice Brodys in class, although it does sound like a douchey name.  I went to school with two Bretts; one was douchey, but the other one was cool.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 09:39:23 PM »

You should totally use Brody as a homage to Nick lol

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »

Zach/Zack tends to be pretty douchey also.

From that list, I would say the top ten (docuhiest first):

1. Brett
2. Zach or Zack
3.  Gabe
4. Anthony
5. Marc or Mark
6. Mike or Michael
7. Elliott
8. Drew
9. Steve or Steven or Stephen
10. Ryan
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 09:47:59 PM »

My first thought for douchiest was Cody, but I think I may go with Erik.  I saw Eric on your original list, and it just sounds like a good name for this guy, but I will spell it with a k to make it seem a little douchier.  Drew, Brett, and Zach were all on the short list as well.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 09:55:21 PM »

Erik is a great choice! I'm glad I could provide everyone with a comprehensive list of great names for any douchey frat guy needs.

Cody was on my list as well, so you were right on the money with your short list.

Next time anyone has a burning question in my wheelhouse, I am always happy to help!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 10:11:39 PM »

Erik is a great choice! I'm glad I could provide everyone with a comprehensive list of great names for any douchey frat guy needs.

Cody was on my list as well, so you were right on the money with your short list.

Next time anyone has a burning question in my wheelhouse, I am always happy to help!

I got Cody from your list! :)
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 10:15:33 PM »

I got Cody from your list! :)

Shhh. It's your list now.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 01:43:53 PM »

My turn to utilize this thread! I have two name-related things to pick everyone's brain on.

First, help me name an elderly male character who is wise, stoic, a leader in his group, and a conservative conventionalis t.

Second, start listing any male names you can think of where calling the guy the nickname would be more common than calling them by their full name (like "Nick" instead of "Nickolas" or "Howie" instead of "Howard"). I'm trying to create a robust list without spending hours looking up baby names... yet...
~*Dee*~

Pages: [1] 2 3