Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

(1/149) > >>

nicksgal:
I just wanted to make sure I could keep making "The Fast and The Furious" jokes as these threads go on, lol!

Here are the last set of questions, but we are currently discussing Julie's answers in 2 Writing 2 Thread:

1. Without looking at any numbers, what’s your most popular fic? Why do you think that is and is it the same one you would say is your best one?

2. Have you ever written a fanfic for a concept you know someone else has done before? How did it impact your writing process or feelings after posting?

3. Have you ever written a fanfic and decided never to publish it? Why?

4. What’s the biggest change between your style when you started in fandom and today? Could you stand to reread your first fanfic?

5. What’s the biggest change in your taste between when you started in fandom and today?

6. Have you ever purposefully written one fandom/fic idea over another because you knew it’d be more popular?

7. If you had to pick one scene to describe your entire portfolio to a stranger, which would you pick? Would you be willing to share it with us?

8. Have/would you ever rewrite a fanfic? If yes, would you take the original down?

9. What aspect of your writing do you most enjoy to see praised?

10. Who’s the one character you’ve just never managed to get perfectly right?

11. Who’s the one character who shines without you even trying?

12. Is there any particular character whose scenes always wind up being longer/more frequent than you expected? Does the quality hold up?

13. Was there any fanfic that you wrote that really surprised you in the fandom reaction? Was it just by the numbers or did they take it an entirely different way?

14. If you cross-post your fanfics on multiple sites, do you have a favorite? Are there certain fics you would only post on certain site?

15. If someone you know who isn’t involved in BSB fanfic fandom asked to read your work, would you let them? If yes, what would you recommend they read first?

16. Does anyone you know from outside of BSB fanfic know you write fanfic? Are they involved in the same BSB fandom too?

17. Has anyone in your life ever read your fanfic just because you wrote it?

18. What kind of impact has writing fanfic had on your life?

RokofAges75:
Continuing the conversation from the last thread.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 10, 2021, 08:25:10 PM ---I feel you. I think it really takes the right rewrite project to really keep momentum going on it. Rewriting and reworking anything is a laborious effort for sure!

--- End quote ---

I commend you for doing it with PBox!  Do you think it helped knowing the original version of PBox was already finished, so even if you didn't finish rewriting it, you at least had the old version to fall back on?

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 10, 2021, 08:25:10 PM ---The bombshell if they found out about your dark side and then found out how much time you spend torturing fictional Backstreet Boys! lmao I don't think being Howie is the worst, you could get away with murder.

This is only slightly related, but there's this silly online game you can play on your phone called "Role Models" where you give people roles based on categories and one of them is "Boy Bands" and I got the "cute tiny one," and I was so excited. "Apparently I'm 90's Nick!" haha.

--- End quote ---

I don't think being Howie is bad at all.  Howie definitely flies under the radar, which can be a good thing.  Stealth D!

LOL You're either 90s Nick or Brian in any decade.  "Cute tiny one" describes him too.  After all, he does resemble a small gnome.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 10, 2021, 08:25:10 PM ---Nick's just wordy. I think the pattern is fun, especially if it's in first person POV. Just playing devil's advocate. :)

--- End quote ---

It is a fun pattern!  This is the third novel I've written this way, alternating chapters in two different first person POVs.  It's a nice way to tell a story that has two main characters and keep it balanced between both perspectives, but it can be limiting in situations like this, when one character has a lot more to say than the other.

mare:
1. Without looking at any numbers, what’s your most popular fic? Why do you think that is and is it the same one you would say is your best one?

Without looking at numbers, I would say It Stays With You because it seems to be the one that most people associate with me and tend to remember. It is not the one I would say is my best though. After answering this I did go look at my numbers and was kind of shocked to see that this one wasn’t my most viewed or reviewed story. In fact it wasn’t even in the top five! My most viewed and reviewed one was Why I’d Do it All Again followed by my To Protect and Serve and it’s sequel which are actually my two favorite fics. So weird because at the time I really didn’t feel like people were reading those. 

mare:
2. Have you ever written a fanfic for a concept you know someone else has done before? How did it impact your writing process or feelings after posting?

Several. It’s hard to be a suspense writer without using the same plot as other people. The very first fanfic I’d ever written was Nick gets kidnapped after reading Ground Zero by Chaos. It didn’t really effect my writing process at all because I was just starting my writing process. I’m pretty sure the only thing the two had in common was Nick gets kidnapped. We totally told different versions of that same idea. His was much better than mine. After that I’ve used several of the same plot ideas and never felt like I was copying from anyone.

mare:
3. Have you ever written a fanfic and decided never to publish it? Why?

Nope

4. What’s the biggest change between your style when you started in fandom and today? Could you stand to reread your first fanfic?

I don’t think I’d ever go back and reread my first or my second or my third etc... lol unless I wanted to redo it or refer to something specific, but from start to finish, no!

5. What’s the biggest change in your taste between when you started in fandom and today?

I’m not really into reading or writing fanfic anymore. That’s obviously the biggest change lol

6. Have you ever purposefully written one fandom/fic idea over another because you knew it’d be more popular?

Nope

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version