Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (2/149) > >>

mare:
8. Have/would you ever rewrite a fanfic? If yes, would you take the original down?

I can’t see myself ever doing this but if I did it would mean I didn’t like the first one enough to keep it as is so yes, I’d take it down.

9. What aspect of your writing do you most enjoy to see praised?

My descriptions because I feel like that’s always been my weakest trait as a writer.

10. Who’s the one character you’ve just never managed to get perfectly right?

I don’t think there’s any way to get them all perfectly right but I’m pretty sure I screw up Kevin the most. I’m sure he’s really not as overly protective and responsible and fun lacking as how I tended to portray him.

11. Who’s the one character who shines without you even trying?

Probably Nick? Don’t really know.

12. Is there any particular character whose scenes always wind up being longer/more frequent than you expected? Does the quality hold up?

Nick lol he was just the easiest to channel.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: mare on March 11, 2021, 02:55:12 PM ---1. Without looking at any numbers, what’s your most popular fic? Why do you think that is and is it the same one you would say is your best one?

Without looking at numbers, I would say It Stays With You because it seems to be the one that most people associate with me and tend to remember. It is not the one I would say is my best though. After answering this I did go look at my numbers and was kind of shocked to see that this one wasn’t my most viewed or reviewed story. In fact it wasn’t even in the top five! My most viewed and reviewed one was Why I’d Do it All Again followed by my To Protect and Serve and it’s sequel which are actually my two favorite fics. So weird because at the time I really didn’t feel like people were reading those.  

--- End quote ---

Did you post It Stays With You on AC as you were writing it or after it was finished?  In my memory, that one was pre-AC, but I don't know if it was actually pre-AC or if I just think of it that way because I read it on your site before I frequented AC.  But if it wasn't posted on AC until after the fact, that is one reason why the numbers would be lower than you thought.  That is Broken for me; I didn't start posting Broken on AC until it had been finished for a couple years, so the number of reviews here don't reflect the actual amount of feedback it got while I was writing it.

It Stays is definitely one of your most memorable, probably because of the disturbing imagery - MINE especially and also the pastor with the lobster hand.  We've talked about it a lot on here, the same way we talk about bot flies LOL.  People remember disturbing stuff.  I loved that story, but my personal favorite of yours is Hope is the Last Thing Ever Lost.  That was a good one to go out on as your last finished fanfic novel.

--- Quote from: mare on March 11, 2021, 03:16:31 PM ---It’s hard to be a suspense writer without using the same plot as other people.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this, and the same is probably true of medical drama.  Every suspense writer needs at least one kidnapping story, just as every medical drama writer needs at least one cancer story.  No two are exactly the same though.  These are both tropes I could (and have) read over and over again, so the more the better!

--- Quote from: mare on March 11, 2021, 03:51:16 PM ---I don’t think there’s any way to get them all perfectly right but I’m pretty sure I screw up Kevin the most. I’m sure he’s really not as overly protective and responsible and fun lacking as how I tended to portray him.

--- End quote ---

I think we all tend to portray Kevin this way and have probably reinforced that depiction of him by reading each other's work over the years LOL.  I think some of that came from actually seeing him in action during appearances and interviews, and the rest came from our interpretation of his big brother role.  The famous stories like him breaking down AJ's door and giving Nick that self-help book definitely lend credence to that, but then we hear other stuff about him that is surprising, like that he is hard to wake up in the morning and is late a lot.  That doesn't go with my vision of Kevin as always being punctual because he's such a stickler.  But it does go to show that real people are complex and multifaceted and don't fit the tropes as easily as fictional characters.  I also think Kevin has mellowed over the years and was more this way in the early days, when he was an adult dealing with teenagers.  The age/maturity gap made more of a difference in the group dynamic back then.

--- Quote from: mare on March 11, 2021, 03:51:16 PM ---Probably Nick? Don’t really know.

--- End quote ---

Definitely Nick!  But also Kevin - the way you wrote those two together was always so sweet.

mare:
13. Was there any fanfic that you wrote that really surprised you in the fandom reaction? Was it just by the numbers or did they take it an entirely different way?

Like I said in the answer to the first question, It Stays With You. I was surprised at how popular that one got. As I was writing it and saw how dark it was getting, I wasn’t sure how people were going to feel about it. Apparently everyone enjoys reading about mental and physical torture. Lol

15. If someone you know who isn’t involved in BSB fanfic fandom asked to read your work, would you let them? If yes, what would you recommend they read first?

Not sure. I really try to keep Mare the fanfic writer and Marianne two completely different people.

16. Does anyone you know from outside of BSB fanfic know you write fanfic? Are they involved in the same BSB fandom too?

See above ^

17. Has anyone in your life ever read your fanfic just because you wrote it?

Do you mean people in this fandom? Probably. If you mean people who just know me then no.

18. What kind of impact has writing fanfic had on your life?

It made me realize that I love to write and used to be pretty decent at it.

mare:
I posted It Stays as I was writing it. I was one of the first posters on this site before it became open to everyone. Actually before I even had my own site. Although I’m not sure if the review button was a thing right away or not. It’s funny but I don’t really consider It Stays as one of my older fics but I guess maybe it is.

I’m glad you feel that way about Hope. I’m proud of that one too. The villain in that one was my favorite original character to write, even though I can’t remember his name right now lol

I was going to comment about Kevin always bring the late one as opposed to how most of us rote him always on time.

And yes indeed, one can’t have a medical drama without cancer or a bus crash. Bonus points for also using a bus crash for suspense as well!

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: mare on March 11, 2021, 05:27:48 PM ---Like I said in the answer to the first question, It Stays With You. I was surprised at how popular that one got. As I was writing it and saw how dark it was getting, I wasn’t sure how people were going to feel about it. Apparently everyone enjoys reading about mental and physical torture. Lol

--- End quote ---

LOL It's true; we all love torture.  The darker the better!  The stories I tend to remember are the ones that gave me a reaction and maybe even made me a little uncomfortable, but in a good way.  That shows that the author took risks and wrote in a descriptive enough way to put images and feelings in my head that I couldn't forget, which is definitely something you did with that story.  I will have to remember this next time I start second-guessing myself because I have been there before too.

--- Quote from: mare on March 11, 2021, 05:27:48 PM ---It made me realize that I love to write and used to be pretty decent at it.

--- End quote ---

Used to?  I'm sure you still are more than pretty decent at it!  While writing is definitely something you get better at with practice, I don't think it's something you get worse at even if you stop doing it.  Or maybe you do?  I don't really know.  Even if you felt a little rusty, I think it would be like riding a bike if you ever went back to writing fanfic.  I bet whatever you have been working on lately is great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version