Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 131367 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #270 on: April 07, 2021, 03:10:31 PM »

Hey. I know it's been a while since I posted in here
Just saying hello. I took a break from writing for a little bit but I think I'm getting back into things.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #271 on: April 07, 2021, 09:06:50 PM »

They just flow together too nicely not to and emo Broken Nick seems predisposed to cry in the shower anyway.

Absolutely LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #272 on: April 07, 2021, 09:07:03 PM »

Just saying hello. I took a break from writing for a little bit but I think I'm getting back into things.

Welcome back!  Glad to see you writing again.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #273 on: April 07, 2021, 09:33:48 PM »

I was browsing Reddit, and someone on the Fanfiction subreddit posted the question, "Does anyone else have certain words that make you oddly uncomfortable when reading a fic?"  It's a good question, and feel free to answer it here, but I laughed at the second post in the thread, which is about the word "orbs" LOL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanFiction/comments/mm87vo/does_anyone_else_have_certain_words_that_make_you/
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #274 on: April 07, 2021, 11:38:35 PM »

Welcome back! I hope work has been going a bit better for you. Glad you're writing again. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2021, 11:42:57 PM »

It's a good question, and feel free to answer it here, but I laughed at the second post in the thread, which is about the word "orbs" LOL.

Okay, but I noticed that no one complained about "face balls," just "orbs" and "pools," so "face balls" it is! lmao

"Does anyone else have certain words that make you oddly uncomfortable when reading a fic?"

I can't think of any that necessarily bother me in anyone else's writing, just mine when I go "oh, I wrote x again," but I need some clarity on this chuckling discussion. Isn't it just a quiet laugh? And not the "goofy laugh" or "cackle" people picture it as? What else are you supposed to say when a character laughs quietly? It's a Brian thing to do in general, but any time I've pictured Nick doing it, nine times out of ten it's more "Heh." than a full-blown laugh. Is it better to just right "heh" at that point and save all the chuckles for Brian? These are the things I wonder?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #276 on: April 08, 2021, 01:48:18 AM »

I was browsing Reddit, and someone on the Fanfiction subreddit posted the question, "Does anyone else have certain words that make you oddly uncomfortable when reading a fic?"  It's a good question, and feel free to answer it here, but I laughed at the second post in the thread, which is about the word "orbs" LOL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanFiction/comments/mm87vo/does_anyone_else_have_certain_words_that_make_you/

Orbs will always continue to be annoying! For whatever reason, my brain cannot properly absorb the word sidled. I can’t ever hear that word when I am reading it. It’s like my brain refuses to comprehend it. Odd
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #277 on: April 08, 2021, 03:18:59 AM »

Sorry I’ve been gone. I know I said I’d answer those questions and then disappeared. lol now I have no idea where they even are.

I didn’t get my vaccine yet. Not happening until end of April. Yes, I did drop my cheesecake and burnt my right hand as a result. Luckily I’m left handed and the cheesecake tasted (tastes) pretty good. I made whipped cream to cover up the huge portion that ended up in the garbage.

I’m on both twitter and Facebook more than I’d like to admit. I’m far more vocal on Facebook as opposed to twitter. I just kind of use twitter as my lifeline to bsb. That’s how I find out what’s going on and any gossip. I have taken a vacation from many of my facebook friends who were Magats but for some reason I can’t bring myself to unfriend anyone on there. I do have an Instagram but I rarely use it. I tend to get lost for long periods of time scrolling through my good reads app.

I never listen to podcasts. They don’t seem to hold my attention. There’s no way I’d pay to listen to one or pay to read a fanfic. I would imagine once people are paid for fanfics, copyright infringement becomes a thing.

I’m sure there’s a lot more I missed but that’s what I got for now
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2021, 08:12:44 PM »

Okay, but I noticed that no one complained about "face balls," just "orbs" and "pools," so "face balls" it is! lmao

I can't think of any that necessarily bother me in anyone else's writing, just mine when I go "oh, I wrote x again," but I need some clarity on this chuckling discussion. Isn't it just a quiet laugh? And not the "goofy laugh" or "cackle" people picture it as? What else are you supposed to say when a character laughs quietly? It's a Brian thing to do in general, but any time I've pictured Nick doing it, nine times out of ten it's more "Heh." than a full-blown laugh. Is it better to just right "heh" at that point and save all the chuckles for Brian? These are the things I wonder?

As long as it's face balls and not "black balls of sight," like someone said on Reddit LOL.

I don't get the hate for "chuckle" either.  I think of it as a quiet laugh too, not a full-blown belly laugh, but more of a "heh heh" like you said.  It's more of a masculine word than "giggle," which sounds more feminine to me.  I like the word "snicker" better, but I think "snicker" has a slightly different connotation - I tend to use it more when characters are reacting to a dirty joke or making fun of each other.

There was also a lot of hate for "smirk" on that thread, but that may just be because it's overused in fanfic.  I remember that video we discussed a while back about things fanfic writers do that don't fly in published writing talking about characters who smirk too much.  I'm guilty as charged with that one because my Nick smirks all the time... but that's because real Nick does that smirky half-smile all the time too!

Besides "orbs," the only one I really agreed with on that thread was the various awkward synonyms for "penis."  I know we've already discussed that here.  I don't read a lot of smut, so it probably bothers me more in my own stories when I'm trying to come up with a word that doesn't sound too vulgar or too technical/medical.

Back in the Broken/BMS era, the word "stump" used to make me cringe.  Even when it was completely out of context, like on a sign for "tree stump removal, it would automatically make me think of poor Broken Nick, and I would feel this surge of guilt.  I have gotten over that the further removed I've become from those stories, but it lasted for a few years.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2021, 08:18:21 PM »

Orbs will always continue to be annoying! For whatever reason, my brain cannot properly absorb the word sidled. I can’t ever hear that word when I am reading it. It’s like my brain refuses to comprehend it. Odd

That is interesting.  I don't mind the word sidled.

I have maybe a similar thing with the word/color "mauve."  Since I was a kid, I have always pronounced it how it looks, like "mahv."  Then I found out as an adult that it's apparently pronounced with a long O sound, like "mohv"?  But in my head, I continue to pronounce it with a "ah" sound because it just sounds better to me that way. LOL
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2021, 08:22:51 PM »

Sorry I’ve been gone. I know I said I’d answer those questions and then disappeared. lol now I have no idea where they even are.

I didn’t get my vaccine yet. Not happening until end of April. Yes, I did drop my cheesecake and burnt my right hand as a result. Luckily I’m left handed and the cheesecake tasted (tastes) pretty good. I made whipped cream to cover up the huge portion that ended up in the garbage.

I’m on both twitter and Facebook more than I’d like to admit. I’m far more vocal on Facebook as opposed to twitter. I just kind of use twitter as my lifeline to bsb. That’s how I find out what’s going on and any gossip. I have taken a vacation from many of my facebook friends who were Magats but for some reason I can’t bring myself to unfriend anyone on there. I do have an Instagram but I rarely use it. I tend to get lost for long periods of time scrolling through my good reads app.

I never listen to podcasts. They don’t seem to hold my attention. There’s no way I’d pay to listen to one or pay to read a fanfic. I would imagine once people are paid for fanfics, copyright infringement becomes a thing.

~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »

Orbs will always continue to be annoying!

As long as it's face balls and not "black balls of sight," like someone said on Reddit LOL.

That one made me laugh! lol I notice that Mare didn't specifically mention an issue with "face balls" either, so... Here we are, face balls, lol.

For whatever reason, my brain cannot properly absorb the word sidled. I can’t ever hear that word when I am reading it. It’s like my brain refuses to comprehend it. Odd

That is interesting.  I don't mind the word sidled.

I have maybe a similar thing with the word/color "mauve."  Since I was a kid, I have always pronounced it how it looks, like "mahv."  Then I found out as an adult that it's apparently pronounced with a long O sound, like "mohv"?  But in my head, I continue to pronounce it with a "ah" sound because it just sounds better to me that way. LOL

I think that happens a lot when you only see a word in print and never hear it. There's one that always used to get me until recently, but I can't think of what it is now. Colonel got me a lot as a child because there isn't an "r" in it, but that's how we pronounce it in America, at least... I don't know about England, so I don't want to blanket this with "in English."
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2021, 09:12:33 PM »

I think that happens a lot when you only see a word in print and never hear it. There's one that always used to get me until recently, but I can't think of what it is now. Colonel got me a lot as a child because there isn't an "r" in it, but that's how we pronounce it in America, at least... I don't know about England, so I don't want to blanket this with "in English."

Absolutely!  "Colonel" is a good one too.  I have seen a quote shared many times that says, "Never make fun of someone if they mispronounce a word.  It means they learned it by reading."
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2021, 09:21:06 PM »

I don't get the hate for "chuckle" either.  I think of it as a quiet laugh too, not a full-blown belly laugh, but more of a "heh heh" like you said.  It's more of a masculine word than "giggle," which sounds more feminine to me.  I like the word "snicker" better, but I think "snicker" has a slightly different connotation - I tend to use it more when characters are reacting to a dirty joke or making fun of each other.

All I can guess is that people think that since the word looks weird, the laugh must sound weird? I don't know that I picture it as even just a "heh" or "heh heh," unless it's Nick, a quiet kind of throaty laugh is where it is in my head, like you want to conceal it, but not actively or it's a little funny, but not a lot funny. I don't tend to use giggle for males either, because it feels too high pitched.

I think "snicker" has some nasally aspects to it and mocking? "Half-suppressed, typically scornful" is the definition, so yeah, teasing each other is a good time to use that.

"Chortle," that's another weird synonym for laugh.

There was also a lot of hate for "smirk" on that thread, but that may just be because it's overused in fanfic.  I remember that video we discussed a while back about things fanfic writers do that don't fly in published writing talking about characters who smirk too much.  I'm guilty as charged with that one because my Nick smirks all the time... but that's because real Nick does that smirky half-smile all the time too!

I saw that too. I think there was one comment where someone was describing a character who smirks all the time, and I think that's where the line for these might come into play for me? Like if everybody's wandering around smirking at everything all the time, then that's just weird. If it's one character wandering around smirking at everything all the time, then that's just that character. Replace "smirk" with whatever in this case. But then there's always a worry that it starts to feel like "Is my character Bella Swan biting her lip?" and that's unpleasant too!

Aww, Nick's lopsided smile/grin! That's how I always describe it. :) In my most recently posted chapter, he had a nice flirty lopsided smile and later a lopsided gape. Good times were had by all. :) I figure y'all know what I mean, but that's another thing that I wrote this week and went, "ah, the first time I ever mention this, I have to explain exactly what it looks like in the OF version."

(Also, now "One Phone Call" is stuck in my head.)

Besides "orbs," the only one I really agreed with on that thread was the various awkward synonyms for "penis."  I know we've already discussed that here.  I don't read a lot of smut, so it probably bothers me more in my own stories when I'm trying to come up with a word that doesn't sound too vulgar or too technical/medical.

Agreed. Though no one mentioned "impaled," so... lol.

Back in the Broken/BMS era, the word "stump" used to make me cringe.  Even when it was completely out of context, like on a sign for "tree stump removal, it would automatically make me think of poor Broken Nick, and I would feel this surge of guilt.  I have gotten over that the further removed I've become from those stories, but it lasted for a few years.

LMAO! Sorry about your guilt, but I'm dying that tree stumps made you think of Broken Nick, lol!
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2021, 09:26:28 PM »

Just glad you're okay and making cheesecakes, lol.

Sorry you burned your hand, but glad you were able to salvage the burnt part of your cheesecake and can still use your dominant hand. Burnt hands are no joke. End of April is soon! Yay!

Y'all are my lifeline to BSB at this point. And sometimes Instagram. I figure they post most of the same stuff on instagram and I get to look at great photos.

~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50