Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50

Author Topic: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)  (Read 131482 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)
« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2021, 11:48:55 PM »

They have a new stemless one on their site now: https://store.backstreetboys.com/collections/accessories/products/pink-i-wine-it-that-way-wine-glass  The one I have is from last year; it has a stem and white writing, but is the same design otherwise.

I'm usually team stemless wine glass anyway, so this is perfect! In a few weeks, a bunch of BSB kitchen stuff will appear on our doorstep and hubs will be concerned, lol.

I'm not a tea drinker either.  Only once in awhile when I'm sick will I drink tea.

I have a mug warmer, but I don't use it very often - just one more thing I have to find a place to plug in.  I should get a USB or battery-powered one.  But on the weekend, I just make a bigger cup of coffee and put it in an insulated tumbler so it stays warm for hours.  I like the ones with straws for iced coffee.

Same. Tea is for sick.

That's what I was thinking, the plug would be a deterrent if you wanted to move around the house. I wish I could be a coffee sipper if it stayed warm the whole time, but I usually end up gulping it down because my brain says, "Ooh, this is delicious! Must drink as much of this as possible at one time!" lol I'm not a big iced coffee drinker, the warmth is one of coffee's key characteristic s for me.

Absolutely!  Days like this where I'm too tired to write much, I can still think about it as I'm lying in bed, and sometimes that helps me wake up with new ideas and inspiration.

That's about where I'm at. Ready to sit in bed and ponder tomorrow's last scene for this chapter or start channeling AJ and Howie for the start of the next chapter.

Wow, the Kevin & Nick story trend is going strong!  Three out of the four stories on the Most Recent page have Kevin and Nick on the banner.  (One of the banners is also ginormous - not sure if that's something you still care to moderate or not, Mare.)

I wonder what that fourth story is that decided not to be trendy... lol. I'm kidding, I know it's me. PNecklace probably needs its own banner at some point instead of just keeping PBox's banner...

lmao. I told Mare that when it first got posted, plus the very long summary. I think of all the rules to go slightly lax on in slow times, the banner/summaries length one is it.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #391 on: April 17, 2021, 10:50:08 PM »

Good news y'all, I've actually caught up on my daily word count a bit and have almost written an entire chapter today. I'm just finishing it up! It's not the one I thought I would write, but at least it's something.

How'd everyone else's writing day go?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2021, 11:21:21 PM »

Yay, good for you!!

I have not had a good writing day.  I only wrote about a paragraph this morning, and then I went to my parents' house this evening, so I'm just now trying to get back at it.  I've written a couple more paragraphs, but I don't see it being a productive evening.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  I just started a new chapter, so I think once I get into the scene I'm writing, it will go faster.  I'm just not quite to that point where the words are flowing yet.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2021, 11:32:45 PM »

Thanks! I'm probably a scene from being done with the chapter and I've hit a sleepy wall. So, something to start up tomorrow I guess.

I'm glad you've gotten a few paragraphs in though, the streak is alive! Starting a new chapter is always hard, it either comes really easily to me or I stall on the same chapter many times before finally finishing it.

I say, take a break and look at it with fresh eyes. Catch up on sleep instead. ;D That's what I'm telling myself, lol.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2021, 05:47:39 PM »

Hope everyone had a productive Sunday! Mine was not quite as productive as I was hoping, but I finished the chapter I had been working on and went back to finish the little bridge part of two chapters ago, plus started the last little scene of the previous chapter (then hit a wall) and started my editing for this week's update. I still got about 2,300 words in, but it wasn't the monster weekend I was hoping for to catch up on my daily word count.

All in all, I have almost 27,000 words for the month so far though. I don't think I'll finish PNecklace this month like I was hoping, but I do have three chapters mostly finished so far and still two weeks/one weekend left. Maybe I'll get halfway done. :) Or maybe I will be majorly inspired and finish it all up. :) There's a myriad of possibilities.

I did have a question for Julie or anyone else who has written something similar, I just know she had it for Bethlehem off the top of my head. Anyone who has had a portion of the story where certain characters are doing one thing and other characters are doing some other thing for an extended amount of time, how did you write that? Did you plan ahead of time the order the chapters would switch up POV? Did you write one whole arc, then the next arc, and so on and splice them together after the fact? Something different? Just looking for opinions and methods here.

I'd use my previous PBox method from when I wrote in order, but that was really "I want y'all to think Nick/Brian/Minako died when they fell in the hole, so I'm ignoring them for several chapters. This flows nicely into still focusing on AJ/Kevin/Howie, so I will give them each a POV chapter. Look, they fell in another hole. We haven't checked in on Renee/NSYNC in a while. I guess it's time to let you know that Nick/Brian/Minako didn't die, but I want them to disappear for a little while after that still... And I guess Renee/NSYNC have to physically get through some of the castle so we'll focus on them for a bit. And now we can worry about Nick again. And then everybody's together until the end." lol "Fell into a hole" seems to be a recurring inciting incident for me for some reason...

I'm not really sure yet what the more interesting cliff hangers will be. Do I just treat this like post-story WADD and write a little of part A and a little of part B, then decide which one is flowing better and finish up that bit before moving on? Or see if I miss the other one a little while writing and start splicing them that way?

Tell me your methods, basically, lol.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2021, 10:34:12 PM »

Hey, 2,300 words in a day and 27,000 words for the month so far sounds good to me!  Congrats!
Even if you don't finish PNecklace this month, it sounds like you've made a lot of progress.  No pressure!

My Sunday was more productive than Saturday, but not as productive as last weekend.  I'm about to the point in my story that I wanted to skip through with a nice montage, though, so I guess I knew that would probably happen. LOL

To answer your question, I wrote the scenes in order for Bethlehem, so I jumped around between characters.  I didn't have a set order for alternating perspectives; I just tried to keep it somewhat balanced between the five boys, but also focused on whichever character made the most sense to focus on in each scene.  I planned that out a few chapters at a time, and that helped me decide the best order and perspective for each scene.

Since you are used to writing scenes out of order, I'm sure it would also work to write one arc at a time and then splice them together.  Or write part of one arc and then switch to the other when you get bored.  I know you'll figure it out!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2021, 11:33:56 PM »

If only they were all actually for PNecklace, lol. But you're right. I've got three chapters written (almost), some solid plans (but no actual words) for two more, four other scenes in various places, and the start of a sixth chapter. If I could finish those two with solid plans and maybe catch my stride in one of the two little arcs, I'd be pretty happy. I think I'm just a little too excited to slap "the end" on it before I actually get there, lol.

It's now up to 28,000 words and I don't have to worry about editing anymore this week. I do have to worry about what I'm going to talk about on Wednesday though, lol.

You're on a 19-day streak too though and almost to your goal! That's awesome! Congrats to you! I feel you on the slow bits, but don't let your montage make you drag your feet. Maybe next weekend, we'll both have words flying on the paper. :)

It sounds like this may be one of those times where planning is better than plantsing, lol. I thought it was really well balanced, that's why I asked. I have the vaguest timeline... let's call it major objectives, events, and outcomes for each arc, but no definite order for the whole thing. You're right though, it's probably best to WADD this and see what happens. It's not like writing out of order when I feel like it has steered me wrong yet, lol.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #397 on: April 21, 2021, 07:46:07 PM »

This was the camp care package either yesterday or Monday, can't remember. Thought it was something good to remind ourselves.

"In addition to your main goal, try to set a goal during each writing session (i.e. a word count or scene goal). That way, you'll stay motivated and you'll know what you're working toward each time you sit down to write."

Today's Writing Challenge:

Follow Kristina's advice and set a specific goal for your writing session today. Do you want to finish a particular scene, or get to a certain word count or page number? You can do it! Breaking big goals into bite-sized chunks can help them seem more manageable.

I haven't written anything yet today and I need to keep the streak alive! Wish me luck! I think my goal is to finish the scene I've been working on off and on since last week. For some reason, the conversation isn't coming to me as well as I'd hoped.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #398 on: April 21, 2021, 09:10:58 PM »

That's a good idea, to set a small goal for each writing session.  This week, my goal is just to write something every day.  I've been averaging about a sentence per day LOL.  I've actually written a few sentences today, so hopefully that's a good sign.  Just trying to keep my streak alive until the weekend.

I hope you can keep your streak alive too!  Good luck!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #399 on: April 21, 2021, 09:31:56 PM »

Woo! You beat your average with a few sentences! Hope you write more!

I've written thirty words, so the streak lives! This two-hour Masked Singer is great, but not for my writing, lol.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2021, 11:37:37 PM »

The streak lives and I finished the scene I was working on! And boy does it tug at the heart strings (in an "aww" way, not a sad way). I'm calling this a win for me and Brian even though it was only about 600 more words, lol.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #401 on: April 22, 2021, 09:25:54 PM »

Woo! You beat your average with a few sentences! Hope you write more!

I've written thirty words, so the streak lives! This two-hour Masked Singer is great, but not for my writing, lol.

LOL When I realized Masked Singer was two hours long, I brought my Chromebook out to the living room and wrote in between performances instead of fast forwarding.

I'm glad the streak stayed alive!  Mine has too.  I've been writing at least one sentence every morning while I dry my hair in case I don't get anything done in the evening.  While last week I was just in a state of chronic sleep deprivation fueled by caffeine, this week I have been getting more sleep by taking a 2-3 hour nap at 5 or 6 p.m. every evening, which has really cut into my writing productivity.  Tonight is the only night I didn't nap because I wanted to stay up and watch the ER reunion LOL.  I guess I need to go back to drinking soda in the afternoon next week so I can stay awake and write.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #402 on: April 22, 2021, 09:31:25 PM »

Today's Camp Nano Care Package:

"Read what's being published in the genre you're writing. Read old books and new. Get a good feel for what your genre is. This will help with your writing and it also might help you when pitching your book to agents/publishers."

If you're feeling stuck, jot down a list of a few of the tropes, characters, or situations that usually show up in the genre you're currently writing. Which ones do you love, and which ones do you find annoying? Use these as a jumping off point to write a scene featuring one of those things!

What genre is your current work in progress? Is it the genre you usually write in?
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #403 on: April 22, 2021, 09:37:37 PM »

LOL When I realized Masked Singer was two hours long, I brought my Chromebook out to the living room and wrote in between performances instead of fast forwarding.

Same. I did get sidetracked listening to a friend tell a dramatic story about someone we both know being a dick and giving her advice, but after that, I went back to the grind.

I'm glad the streak stayed alive!  Mine has too.  I've been writing at least one sentence every morning while I dry my hair in case I don't get anything done in the evening.  While last week I was just in a state of chronic sleep deprivation fueled by caffeine, this week I have been getting more sleep by taking a 2-3 hour nap at 5 or 6 p.m. every evening, which has really cut into my writing productivity.  Tonight is the only night I didn't nap because I wanted to stay up and watch the ER reunion LOL.  I guess I need to go back to drinking soda in the afternoon next week so I can stay awake and write.

I'm glad yours has too! Today I wrote two different little bits so far, the start of my next chapter this afternoon and the start of the next book this morning. As usual, I continue to be all over the place, lol. I think you passed your tiredness on to me because I have been exhausted this whole week. I don't know if it's the off and on snow or what, but so tired.

I thought about taking a nap today! But I had that Thursday training again, so I decided to write a little before it started. I'm hoping I can jump back in where I left off. :)

I hope the ER reunion was worth skipping the nap for.  ;D Just make sure that you don't sleep deprive yourself next week.
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #404 on: April 22, 2021, 09:47:39 PM »

Today's Camp Nano Care Package:

"Read what's being published in the genre you're writing. Read old books and new. Get a good feel for what your genre is. This will help with your writing and it also might help you when pitching your book to agents/publishers."

If you're feeling stuck, jot down a list of a few of the tropes, characters, or situations that usually show up in the genre you're currently writing. Which ones do you love, and which ones do you find annoying? Use these as a jumping off point to write a scene featuring one of those things!

I was looking through to see if I had something like this yet and I do have a couple of them planned, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess I did have a little of one in yesterday's scene, but I'm not here for spoilers, lol.

What genre is your current work in progress? Is it the genre you usually write in?

Fantasy, my old reliable. I was thinking the other day about how much I wanted nothing to do with fantasy after finishing PBox and I have no idea why that was... Like I couldn't even bring myself to write Gobosei back then. I think the time away was probably a good thing for PBox&Co (like whatever PNecklace or PDemons were going to be back then are not nearly as awesome as what they are now... I think only two or three things stuck all these years?), but it's still weird.

Anyone else ever feel that way? You write and write in one genre and then think "if I even look at x genre, I'm going to hurl"? Anyone know why? Psychology school me, basically, lol!
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50