Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25

Author Topic: Writing & Thread (aka The Writing Thread 4)  (Read 94715 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Writing & Thread (aka The Writing Thread 4)
« Reply #300 on: September 06, 2021, 11:03:30 PM »

That makes sense. Sounds interesting! I'm glad to hear you were able to come up with some that sounded like human names. I know as a reader, I'm okay with made-up names, but it helps if they're something I can pronounce and don't stumble over each time I come to them.  Good luck coming up with them for Kevin and AJ!

I think the only issue that could come up is that I'd call this language a Geco-Asiatic sound structure mashup. It is all pronounceable and all the sounds come from the IPA/are used in real languages. But, it definitely has a lot of the "nyV" thing going on, which isn't impossible to read, but would probably be easier on a Western audience as "ñ," I just like the way the y looks better.

Out of context, I don't think anyone would see the phrase "more than that" and automatically think "Backstreet Boys."  We BSB fans might, but that's the fun of it.  It's like a little Easter egg.  I say keep it!

Here's a fun game, spot the accidental Backstreets that don't scream Backstreet Boys, lol. Should probably not type "I want it that way" ever. The goal is not to get sued from accidental lyric phrases.

The rest of my outline is a timeline that includes real events in BSB history that I can tie into the story and a bulleted list of ideas I'm planning to include at some point, but don't know what chapter they'll be in yet.  I've planned through Chapter 32 now, but I'm guessing it will be closer to 50 chapters.

You're at the halfway point! How exciting! Do you already know how the story will end? I assume you do. I do like this more loosey goosey outline you have going though, it's always fun with a little wiggle room.

I do hate having too many tabs open at the time.  I usually have one for music, one for my story, one or two for research, and sometimes one for a chat/forum/social media, depending on how focused I'm being.  I can't stand much more than that.

That's probably a good idea to save the different versions until you're sure you're happy with one.  Even then, it might be fun to have old versions to look back at to see how much it's changed.  There's a part of me that does regret deleting the original versions of AHTIM, for example.  I should have just thrown them in a different folder and kept them.

I've closed some since I wrote that and now it's only 12, lol. Three are AC/AO3, one is my drive, the rest all have something to do with PBox because I needed them today while writing (up to almost 8,000 words for the weekend, but must sleep like a normal human). I guess technically our 00Carter chat is available, but it's just a pinned app down in my sys tray. It would only pop up if you or Rose wrote something.

I think I'll probably just keep them to have them, even if I end up liking whatever version I ended up with most recently. I actually have a whole document where I'm keeping the new words that are different from the fanfic and I think it's close to thirty or forty pages already. Admittedly, I haven't updated it in a while since I've either been writing completely new things or keeping the spirit of what was there but writing totally different words for the scene, but it was twenty pages with the first five chapters.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #301 on: September 07, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »

Sorry I've been quiet. Been trying to work on the new story. It's called Breathe. I have 2 chapters written and part of a 3rd but I'm still on the fence about it because it's in 1st person. Brian's always been a little tricky for me to write in 1st person. Not to mention I keep getting stuck on what I want the plot to be. The story takes place in London during the 3 weeks of recording they do there for IAWLT and it's kind of a sequel to History. So there was a little set up of something going on between Nick and Brian there. I hope an idea comes to me.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #302 on: September 07, 2021, 05:22:06 PM »

I think the only issue that could come up is that I'd call this language a Geco-Asiatic sound structure mashup. It is all pronounceable and all the sounds come from the IPA/are used in real languages. But, it definitely has a lot of the "nyV" thing going on, which isn't impossible to read, but would probably be easier on a Western audience as "ñ," I just like the way the y looks better.

LOL I will take your word for it.

Here's a fun game, spot the accidental Backstreets that don't scream Backstreet Boys, lol. Should probably not type "I want it that way" ever. The goal is not to get sued from accidental lyric phrases.

LOL Yes, some lyrics would work better than others.  Stick with phrases people would actually say, rather than "Quit playing games with my heart!" or "If you want it to be good, girl, get yourself a bad boy."

You're at the halfway point! How exciting! Do you already know how the story will end? I assume you do. I do like this more loosey goosey outline you have going though, it's always fun with a little wiggle room.

I think I am!  That is exciting.  I probably won't finish it this year, but I bet it'll be done by next summer if I keep going at the rate I'm going.  I do know how it will end, more or less.  I don't have an ending line or even an ending scene planned out for sure, but I know the major events that will happen near the end.

Most of my outlines are like this - they grow and evolve as I write the story.  The only stories I've planned out chapter by chapter from the beginning were Heroic Measures and Secrets of the Heart because they had more of a unique or complex storytelling structure with multiple perspectives and storylines.  I had to put it all down on paper to keep it straight.  The reason I even have a chapter by chapter outline for MBK is that I'm alternating between Kevin and Nick's POVs each chapter, which takes some planning.  Otherwise it would just be my usual timeline or list of events.  Maybe that makes me more of a plantser than a planner?

I've closed some since I wrote that and now it's only 12, lol. Three are AC/AO3, one is my drive, the rest all have something to do with PBox because I needed them today while writing (up to almost 8,000 words for the weekend, but must sleep like a normal human). I guess technically our 00Carter chat is available, but it's just a pinned app down in my sys tray. It would only pop up if you or Rose wrote something.

Damn sleep getting in the way of our fanfic productivity!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #303 on: September 07, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »

Sorry I've been quiet. Been trying to work on the new story. It's called Breathe. I have 2 chapters written and part of a 3rd but I'm still on the fence about it because it's in 1st person. Brian's always been a little tricky for me to write in 1st person. Not to mention I keep getting stuck on what I want the plot to be. The story takes place in London during the 3 weeks of recording they do there for IAWLT and it's kind of a sequel to History. So there was a little set up of something going on between Nick and Brian there. I hope an idea comes to me.

Yay for starting your new story!  That is one of my favorite BSB time periods.  And of course I love the idea of another Frick & Frack story.  Why did you decide to write this one in first person POV?  You could always switch it to third if you don't feel like the first person is right.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #304 on: September 07, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »

You can blame Nick lol I'm great at writing him but I dunno. I think I want to start over but part of me doesn't want to. I think I decided to write this one in this time period cause it's right after History ended. But I kinda am just messing around right now.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #305 on: September 08, 2021, 10:52:07 PM »

LOL Yes, some lyrics would work better than others.  Stick with phrases people would actually say, rather than "Quit playing games with my heart!" or "If you want it to be good, girl, get yourself a bad boy."

People don't tell the girls to get it like it could be, would be, or should be? Am I hanging out with the right people or the wrong people?

I think I am!  That is exciting.  I probably won't finish it this year, but I bet it'll be done by next summer if I keep going at the rate I'm going.  I do know how it will end, more or less.  I don't have an ending line or even an ending scene planned out for sure, but I know the major events that will happen near the end.

A little over a year! That's pretty exciting! I'll keep sending you good writing vibes!

Maybe this one is more about the journey than the end. Which I think it good.

Most of my outlines are like this - they grow and evolve as I write the story.  The only stories I've planned out chapter by chapter from the beginning were Heroic Measures and Secrets of the Heart because they had more of a unique or complex storytelling structure with multiple perspectives and storylines.  I had to put it all down on paper to keep it straight.  The reason I even have a chapter by chapter outline for MBK is that I'm alternating between Kevin and Nick's POVs each chapter, which takes some planning.  Otherwise it would just be my usual timeline or list of events.  Maybe that makes me more of a plantser than a planner?

Yes! Team plantser is way more fun! I think you're probably on the planning side of plantsing (I'm firmly in the pantser side of plantsing). When you plan the outline, do you know for sure which events will be in Nick's POV or Kevin's POV? Or do you just choose when the time comes?

Damn sleep getting in the way of our fanfic productivity!

Sleep and work. So rude.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2021, 10:54:43 PM »

That's awesome! I'm fully in support of it being quiet if everyone is productive.

And Julie is right. We do always need more Frick & Frack.

You can blame Nick lol I'm great at writing him but I dunno. I think I want to start over but part of me doesn't want to. I think I decided to write this one in this time period cause it's right after History ended. But I kinda am just messing around right now.

I think there's something to be said for some sandbox time. Some of the best things happen from playing around. Sending you good writing vibes as well!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2021, 05:13:25 PM »

People don't tell the girls to get it like it could be, would be, or should be? Am I hanging out with the right people or the wrong people?

I mean, if you're not hanging out with actual Backstreet Boys or one of us, it's all wrong.  But when you de-Backstreetize a fanfic, I guess you have to cater to the wrong crowd.

A little over a year! That's pretty exciting! I'll keep sending you good writing vibes!

Maybe this one is more about the journey than the end. Which I think it good.

Thanks!  I was just thinking yesterday about how productive the last three years have been for me in terms of writing and how the last time I was in a major slump was in 2018 when I was struggling with WADD, trying to get either A Heart That Isn't Mine or My Brother's Keeper off the ground.  And now AHTIM is done, MBK is on track to be done within the next year, and hey, 00Carter is making a comeback, too!  That's a good feeling.  Maybe one of these days I'll be able to add Guilty Roads to that list, too.

This one is definitely more about the journey than the end (especially since I'm still thinking about a sequel).  The most dramatic event happened in the first chapter, and I don't have anything crazy planned for the ending.  Sorry to disappoint anyone who's reading, but there probably won't be any bears or shootings in this one.  But hey, there's always the sequel!

Yes! Team plantser is way more fun! I think you're probably on the planning side of plantsing (I'm firmly in the pantser side of plantsing). When you plan the outline, do you know for sure which events will be in Nick's POV or Kevin's POV? Or do you just choose when the time comes?

Yes, I would agree with that.  I'm a planner-plantser.  I like to have a plan, but I also like to let the plan grow and change as the story goes on.  As far as POV goes, it depends - with some scenes, I know from the beginning which POV they should be in, and with others I wait until I'm closer to that point in the story and then decide which would make the most sense and fit best with where I am in the story. 

Sleep and work. So rude.

I know.  This is exactly why we should just get paid a living wage to write fanfic so we can make our own schedules and sleep when it's convenient.  If only...
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2021, 05:16:48 PM »

And Julie is right. We do always need more Frick & Frack.

Especially Frick & Frack and not just Frick/Frack with the slash.  I miss good old-fashioned bromance stories that just focus on their friendship, nothing more!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2021, 08:23:04 PM »

I mean, if you're not hanging out with actual Backstreet Boys or one of us, it's all wrong.  But when you de-Backstreetize a fanfic, I guess you have to cater to the wrong crowd.

Hey, don't say it's the wrong thing. 'Cause it don't feel like the wrong thing.

;) These jokes are just everywhere, lol.

Thanks!  I was just thinking yesterday about how productive the last three years have been for me in terms of writing and how the last time I was in a major slump was in 2018 when I was struggling with WADD, trying to get either A Heart That Isn't Mine or My Brother's Keeper off the ground.  And now AHTIM is done, MBK is on track to be done within the next year, and hey, 00Carter is making a comeback, too!  That's a good feeling.  Maybe one of these days I'll be able to add Guilty Roads to that list, too.

This one is definitely more about the journey than the end (especially since I'm still thinking about a sequel).  The most dramatic event happened in the first chapter, and I don't have anything crazy planned for the ending.  Sorry to disappoint anyone who's reading, but there probably won't be any bears or shootings in this one.  But hey, there's always the sequel!

It's great that you feel like you've come back from your major slump and been productive with everything you were trying to work on! Reviving and finishing lots of things is a good feeling. And it's nice to see other hopeful stories of slump return.

Aww. Now my bingo card with "bears" and "gun shots" on it is useless. :(

(Maybe that's how we revive binog. We all read a story and try to get Backstreet Trope Binog!)

Yes, I would agree with that.  I'm a planner-plantser.  I like to have a plan, but I also like to let the plan grow and change as the story goes on.  As far as POV goes, it depends - with some scenes, I know from the beginning which POV they should be in, and with others I wait until I'm closer to that point in the story and then decide which would make the most sense and fit best with where I am in the story.

I think trying to stick rigidly to a plan has its own headaches. I always feel like if the characters are telling you the story should change, then the story should change.

Did you feel like more of your set POV events were in the beginning, in the middle, or in the end?

I know.  This is exactly why we should just get paid a living wage to write fanfic so we can make our own schedules and sleep when it's convenient.  If only...

Some day.

Especially Frick & Frack and not just Frick/Frack with the slash.  I miss good old-fashioned bromance stories that just focus on their friendship, nothing more!

Same!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2021, 08:12:54 PM »

Hey, don't say it's the wrong thing. 'Cause it don't feel like the wrong thing.

;) These jokes are just everywhere, lol.

Fine... I'll stay on my own thing.

;)

It's great that you feel like you've come back from your major slump and been productive with everything you were trying to work on! Reviving and finishing lots of things is a good feeling. And it's nice to see other hopeful stories of slump return.

Aww. Now my bingo card with "bears" and "gun shots" on it is useless. :(

(Maybe that's how we revive binog. We all read a story and try to get Backstreet Trope Binog!)

It is a good feeling!  And yes, hopefully it will give others who are in a slump some hope of making a comeback and finishing some long-term projects.

LOL I love the idea of Backstreet Trope Binog!

I think trying to stick rigidly to a plan has its own headaches. I always feel like if the characters are telling you the story should change, then the story should change.

Did you feel like more of your set POV events were in the beginning, in the middle, or in the end?

Very true.

Scene POVs were more set in stone in the beginning because Kevin and Nick were not in the same place at the start of the story, so their scenes were separate, and Kevin was also unconscious for some of it, which is why I needed Nick to narrate what was happening.  Now they're physically in the same space, so I have more flexibility with that.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2021, 08:20:28 PM »

I am very disappointed about the Boys cancelling their Christmas shows and postponing the album release, but trying to look on the bright side.  Here are a couple of small writing celebrations I had this week:

1. I thought of a title for my MBK sequel idea, which means it's that much closer to becoming a reality.  We all know I can't start writing a story without a title I like, so I'm at least over that hurdle. 

2. I got a random comment on Return of the Pandaskunk on AO3 today - my first for that story!

Anyone else have anything positive to share?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2021, 04:11:34 PM »

I’m sorry about the cancellations, but the AO3 thing is awesome. Getting random feedback on something old is awesome. Especially when it’s the first!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #313 on: September 13, 2021, 07:16:54 PM »

Thanks!  It is a good feeling!

Today's bit of positivity is that I checked my spam folder and found another piece of feedback in there that was an actual comment from a real reader for My Brother's Keeper and not spam!  I love when that happens; it's like finding a $20 in your pocket!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2021, 10:08:01 PM »

Fine... I'll stay on my own thing.

;)

:D I never knew that song worked in so many contexts, lol.

It is a good feeling!  And yes, hopefully it will give others who are in a slump some hope of making a comeback and finishing some long-term projects.

LOL I love the idea of Backstreet Trope Binog!

I'm sending good vibes out into the universe!

I'm pondering possible tropes now. I bet there's a bingo card generator online somewhere.

Very true.

Scene POVs were more set in stone in the beginning because Kevin and Nick were not in the same place at the start of the story, so their scenes were separate, and Kevin was also unconscious for some of it, which is why I needed Nick to narrate what was happening.  Now they're physically in the same space, so I have more flexibility with that.

Darn Kevin for being unconscious and unable to narrate! lol Do you think it's more fun or less fun to have more flexibility?
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25