Welcome > Rules and News

Major Site Update News

(1/5) > >>

Chaos:
As you may know, this site is running on really old software and the host is forcing updates to the operating system and the mySQL database. In addition to that, both this board and the fiction archive scripts are written with a version of php that is not only depreciated, but now is considered to be past "End of Life" and will not be supported by the new OS or DB (or PHP version). That's the bad news.

Now the good news: 

After some finagling, I have successfully copied the current fiction archive to a new server to try to get it to work with php 7 and a new database. It seems to be working as expected. So, I think I should be able to upgrade it on this site before the server upgrade and it should work. Worst case scenario, I have a working copy of it on a temporary site and can share a temporary URL until it can be fixed on this one.

Similarly, as of this evening after even more finagling I was able to copy this forum to a temporary location and successfully got it to upgrade to the latest version of SMF. The theme we're using right now is not available for that version, so the site's look will change. I found one that should work pretty well, but if anyone is interested in going on a theme search (or want to modify an existing theme) I'm happy to install/update that.

So...there's still a chance that this site will be in chaos for a short time, and don't be surprised if you stumble on the site in "Maintenance Mode" off-and-on over the next couple weeks. But I'm pretty confident that it'll get worked out (or at least should be recoverable up to today's fiction and today's forum messages...)

RokofAges75:
Thanks for taking the time and effort to save the site and forum!

nicksgal:
Thanks Ash for the time effort to keep the site and forum going! I appreciate you.

Chaos:
Thanks, guys! 

I think the forum has been successfully upgraded. So, this message also doubles as a test.  :broccoli:

Please let me know if you run into any weird issues...

RokofAges75:
Yay!!  So far so good!  The only weird thing I've noticed is the URL of the forum has a string of numbers in the front (looks like an IP address?), followed by ~ac/fictalk/index.php.  Is it supposed to be like that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version