Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Featured Story For June 2007 - Not Your Average Cinderella Story by Honey  (Read 17444 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Hey guys!

I'm back with this month's pick. When I put up a poll about stories you'd like to see featured this one came up a few times so I thought i'd let it get the spotlight this month.

As always come in here to post your thoughts about the story as you read or if you have already read, come in and tell Kelly and the rest of us what you liked about it.

I will be coming in with questions occasionally as the Oprah of the board but if you have your own questions for Kelly, post them here, specifically about her story since I haven't read it mine will be more generic but if you want to be more story specific i'm sure Kelly would love to answer any questions you may have.

Congrats Kelly and I hope you enjoy your month!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction

Yay a story I've read! lol. This one I've at least started on. So yaaaaaaaay Kelly! (who is on vacay right now lol). Anywho, I personally love Cindy's character, that alone makes the story worth a read. It's a creative idea and when I get the time, I WANT to finish it hehe.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Aww well she'll have something to look forward to when she comes back then lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?

Yay! The first story of the month I can read while it's featured! *cheers*

Too bad it's not Whitmore Lake... Then I could have sat back and just commented. :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website

Awww!!!! Shocked, flattered and totally excited!!!!!! Yes, I'm on vacation right now and just logged in for the first time in over a week. I'll be away from home for pretty much the entire month, but I do have the internet and should be able to keep up, just not as regularly.

I did a little happy dance when I saw this post. Thank you so much! I am really proud of this one. And yes, it's a romance, but it's soooo much more than that so I hope you give it a chance. And like Mare said I am excited to answer anyone's questions and very curious to hear what you think, good and bad. I have tough skin, so please be completely honest! I can't get better if you don't tell me where I need improvement.  ;)

Thanks again you guys! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....

I LOVE this story!!!! Originally, when I first read the summary months ago I wasn't going to read it, because the summary didn't catch my interest. But then one day, after many months of ignoring it, it suddenly struck my interest [don't rmeember why - could've been 'cause I realzied Honey wrote it-lol] & I decided to finally read it. And boy, am I ever glad I did! It's definitely one of THE best stories ever!!!!!!!!!! It keeps your interest right up until the very end & you're hooked & constantly wanting to read more - I once stayed up waaaay later than expected to read it. Another time, I opened up numerous Net screens & had different chapters in each one, then logged off 'cause someone needed the phone - but I still got my fix for the day! Lol. But this story IS Awesome!!!!!!!!!! I love all the characters & hate all the bad characters who deserve to be kicked all the way to Tim-Buck-Two & fed to the sharks! But, yeah, over all - I INSIST people read this story!!!! Whooot!!!!!!!!!

~1 of your #1 fans~
~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

aww sorry about that! If I knew you wouldn't be around all month I would have given you a different one instead, but i'm glad you have internet access so this way you won't miss out on too much! :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary

Just read the first five chapters, and I like it so far!!  I've always wanted to read something by Kelly, but I have to admit, I've glossed over this one a few times cause the whole anti-Mary Sue (the female character who tries so hard to NOT be a Mary Sue that she becomes just as annoying) thing doesn't really appeal to me, and that's how I expected Cindy to be.  But now that I'm into it, I really like her character.  She seems very real - just like what you might expect a girl with her background to turn out like.

I like your portrayal of the guys, too, especially Brian (and maybe not so much Nick, with the ass-grabbing LOL).  And another thing I like is that I have no idea which one of them is going to be her "Prince Charming"!  That's rare with a romance, and I like it cause it makes it unpredictable!  First I was picturing Brian, cause I know you're a Brian girl, Kelly, but then it was Howie who was the sweet one she noticed at first, so then I was thinking him... but then Brian appears... but he's married... and then there's AJ, who she thinks is hot... but then she slept with Nick!  And then there's Howie again the morning after, who thinks she's amazing!  So now I totally don't know who she's going to fall for!  LOL

You've got me intrigued, so I will definitely keep reading! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster

You know Julie, it's interesting that you say that because I've always figured that people would assume Cindy is an anti mary sue and to be honest, in the begining, I believe she is. But the point of the story is that she struggles with being that way and the romance that falls into her life makes it impossible for her to keep being that way. That's why I love Cindy, because she's deep (I hope) This story is almost more of a "comming of age" story  than anything and it's the romance that makes her go through it. I was hoping that would be the spin on this romance that would keep the readers interested. And thanks for taking the time to give it a chance! It really means a lot you guys.  And Yay Dee! If you read this one I think you'll die cause it's soooooo different from Whitmore Lake. I think I worte WL in one of my manic moodes and NYACS in one of my depression swings! -lol

**squishy hugs for all of you!**

oh, and it's OK Mare. I'm just flattered that you're letting me have a month at all. And like I said, I'll still be around so all is good. ;D 
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment

YAYAYAYAYAY *HUGS* Congratulation s Kelly!!!!!!!!!
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Hey Kelly here's my first question for you :)

I read the prologue and I love how you named your character Cinderella, I wasn't expecting that. What made you do that? Did you know from the start you were going to do that or was it an idea that popped into your head as you were writing?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary

^ I love that too because normally, a character named "Cinderella" in a Bsb fic would scream Mary Sue to me, but I love her explanation for it - how she hates it and blames it on her drunken, white trash mother LOL.  Cause really... who would actually name their kid that??  (Uh, no offense to anyone who's considering the name Cinderalla for their daughter... :P)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster

uh, didn't you know? Cinderella is my daughter's name :P ok, not really. Yeah... that wouldn't be cool. I love the question Mare. Actually I guess I had her name picked out from the begining. I was reading Sarah's story, "Once Upon a Time" which is an AU remake of the Cinderella fairytale which happens to be my favorite story of all time. (yup, cheesy romance... are we seeing a pattern here? -lol) anyway, then I just felt like watching the movie and I decided I wanted to tell my own version of the tale. (you inspired me chica! ;)) At first I thought of making it a fantsay where she really was the real Cinderella and the boys were somehow dropped into her fairytale but ended up comming up with a much darker version. But I liked the idea of keeping all the similarities in the story, (I make more than one reference to the tale of Cinderella) so I kept the name.

I also got a big kick out of it because it is totally a BSB Mary Sue name and Cindy's practically an anti Mary Sue. I wondered if people would cringe but then I figured it was OK because of her attitude toward it and that she shortens the name to Cindy (which is a totally regular common name) so then I figured it wasn't Mary Sue-ish after all. 

I also kept the name because I like the fact that it haunted her all her life. It's  like the whole fairytale hanted her because she thinks her life was so drastically un fairytale-ish when in reality she's living the fairytale and just can't see it. (or se's just in complete denial.)

So yeah, lots of reasons behind the name... one of those things where I being the writer probably saw way too much into it and the readers were just kind of like "huh... cruel parents."

lol anyway, I"m glad that you liked the name and that you think it works with her because I really liked it but I'm always worried (especially when writing romance) that I'm being totally cliche and just don't realize it. I guess being self-conscious of your work is just the curse of every writer, but hearing you guys say that makes me feel a little better, so thanks!

oh, and  :-* :-* :-*  for all the congratulation s ladies,  :-[ 

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Congratulation s Kelly! Finally there is a story of the month (besides my own obviously lol) that I've actually completely read, so I can sit back and comment.

Not Your Average Cinderella Story was the second story by Kelly that I read (the first being Welcome to My Heart) and the level of growth between these two stories in her writing is just amazing! WTMH was a nice cute little romance which I enjoyed, but I don't think I ever felt REALLY sucked into it. When I started NYACS at first I didn't think it was the same author! lol The overall tone of it is SOOO different which is awesome if a writer can pull that off. I feel that its in this story where things just seemed to click for Kelly.

I think it was the darker twist on Cinderella that suckered me in. Of course EVERY girls favorite fairytale is Cinderella, but if she'd done a romantic rewrite of it, I think it might not have been as effective or memorable. It was also a GREAT way of suckering me into reading a Howie fan fic (which I don't normally read) because although you knew ONE of the guys was her Prince Charming you didn't necessarily know who it was until you were already so deep into the story you'd continue reading anyway. And Leighanne as a fairy godmother type character was just too perfect. Probably one of my favorite interpretation s of Leighanne in a fan fic ever.

The only thing missing that I would of liked to see (and I told Kelly this lol) is Cindy telling Nick that they actually slept together. Just his reaction would've been priceless in my opinion LOL

But yea if you haven't read it, I highly reccomend it!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Ah very good answer. and lol at everyone saying huh cruel parents while you put so much thought into it. That's always the way, isn't it?

Another question for you then, you mentioned that you were thinking of making this more Cinderella-ish as in the traditional sense. If that was the case what roles would you have cast for each of the guys?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5