Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Featured Story For June 2007 - Not Your Average Cinderella Story by Honey  (Read 17415 times)

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..

And as always, I haven't read it yet lol.. But I'll give it a shot. Congrats honey!!
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mers

• Captain of Commotion
  • the other M
    • Unveiled Thoughts

Congrats on being picked for the month of June Kelly :D i havent read this story yet, thought i'd read through what some readers of yours would say about this fic and see if any of them can push me into reading it but then i only found a lot of spoilers (like she sleeping with Nick...what! i dont want to know that now, lol) and now im curious why you named her Cinderella (i almost read your explanation to it but stopped myself, lol).

so yeah, i'm going to read it and then leave you proper reviews and come back here again :D for now, congrats again for being picked, you deserved it :D
What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? What you need are the plump comforts of a story. Th soothing, rocking safety of a lie - Vida Winter

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website

And as always, I haven't read it yet lol.. But I'll give it a shot. Congrats honey!!

Thanks, (to you and Mers and all the others) who have said they will give this story a shot. I love that you're willing to try. But I also understand that this story is not for everyone so I won't be offended by those who can't get very far into it. (still curious to hear why not though) Hell I'm impressed that Mare got through the prologue, not a single mention of the boys in it. :D

I just wanted to say that for those people who are scared to read it because you don't really read romance then this might be a good one to start with because there is so much other than the romance going on, and because of it's darker tone the "sappyness" is really kept to a minimal. Well at least minimal for me -lol

but really there is a lot of drama/angst in this one too and you know I couldn't write a story without throwing a little humor in there as well so you might be surprised. (Sorry Mare, I doubt even this romance would be one you can sit through-lol I think it breaks all your rules about what Mare will read.  :D )

To answer the question though, origionally I was going to keep the Boys as themselves and then through some magical event or something have them thrown into Cinderella's magical kingdom where they would then have to find a way to get back home and in the mean time meet Cinderella and one of them would fall for her and essentially steal her from prince charming or something. So all the roles in Cinderella would have been the same except the BSB would have been there causig all sorts of trouble and mixing up the fairytale. I never got the idea fully developed though, and I'm not sure how that turned into the trailerpark version of the tale I ended up with. lol.

I'm glad I went the way I did though because I stepped waaayyy outside my comfort zone with this one and I can't even tell you how much I learned from doing it. And I had so much fun writing something that I wouldn't normally write that I wanted to keep trying that and now I'm working on my first action story, and it's my first delve into another fandom as well. So wish me luck with that, I'm gonna need it.

Thanks again guys!

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem

So, I gave it a shot, and I'm happy I did  ;D
I spent all afternoon reading NYACS and I was so intrigued by the whole thing, that I forgot to do the dishes and such..  :-[ (Can I blame you when my mom blames me, honey?  ;D)

Firstoff, I really really really really like the general idea of the story!

I love Cindy! She's not the typical fan fic girl one of the guys falls in love with. She's kinda edgy, has had a rough life and forgot how to feel like a lady (or in fact never has felt that way). It was refreshing to see a girl curse, unaware of her beauty, and throw punches at everyone that deserves one.

*SPOILER ALERT FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE WHOLE STORY!!
DO NOT CONTINUE TO READ MY REPLY!!*

What I also loved, was the fact she punched Nick  ;D (why do we like to see him get hurt so much?!  :-\ ). He really deserved it, in fact I probably would have made sure he couldn't get child support anymore  ;D (nah, just kidding).

I have to applaud you for the fact that you didn't make everyone be great friends with her. In most stories (including my own) everyone likes the girl that one of them falls in love with. I'm not sure why that is. Probably because it's easier to write, or because we want to maintain that 'everyone is one big happy family'-feeling. So I think it's very brave of you to keep the relationship between Cindy and Nick 'rocky'.

Another thing I liked was the fact that you portrayed Leighanne in a different way. Sure, she was sweet, nice, caring and very friendly, but with a bit of a naughty touch without getting 'nasty'. (Does that make sense?) While in other stories, she seems only shallow or just friendly and nothing else. I loved the way she yelled at Nick too, by the way.

Also, I loved 'your' Howie. I'm not sure why really, but with some fanfics (no offense to anyone!!!!!!!) I'm not finding his personality realistic. I totally didn't think that this time around. Again, not sure why. But I really really really liked 'your' Howie.

At first I thought.. "Oh no, she's gonna fall in love with Brian and that's that.. Boooooring.."
Since we didn't know Leighanne was in the picture then. But then I continued reading and found out that she was in the story. Then I thought "I sure hope she isn't gonna break up their marriage!"
And then I found out that she became great friends with both of them and I was like "Yaaaaaaaaay for friendship!"  ;D So that was a great thing! And as you can see, not what I expected. And that was a GOOD thing!

There were a lot more things I liked, but I'll try to be short ;D:
- AJ cutting in when Nick and Cindy were about to kill each other
- Cindy's mom shooting Cindy's father
- The locket
- The time they went to the lake
- The fight Cindy and Danny had. Not the fact that they fought ofcourse, but it had to happen, that much was obvious.
- The fact that Cindy is kind of a tomboy
- etcetera, etcetera, etcetera  ;D

So, for a question:

"Why did you choose "I'll never break your heart" to be their song?"

I'll try to come up with more questions later!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:21:31 AM by Nijntje »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Aww you're too cute Honey lol at least everyone knows and understands my what Mare will read rules :) And I did make it through the prologue and half of the first chapter even without the boys because Cindy was an interesting character.  I haven't been able to do that with a whole lot of romances. Can I do that for an entire story? Probably not lol but you made a very strong female character in Cindy and just FYI I LOVE that original idea you had! lol very clever. You should write a companion piece to this one, one day and use that.

I'm sorry i'm not able to get into these kinds of fics at all, but i'm so glad that all the repsonses you've had have been so positive. Yay Kelly!

:D

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Howdy and i'm back with another question for you Kelly. And you have no idea but while I was typing that out, I actually sang what I wrote. lmao i'm amusing myself. Don't mind me.

Okay this is one of those questions for the people who haven't read it, or read a tiny bit of it and might be confused. Is this an alternate reality fic? I hope that doesn't seem like an idiotic question but I noticed it wasn't one of the things marked off for genres. So, are the boys THE boys or are they random boys? lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster

awww, Nijntje, I would be honored to take the blame for your dishes not being done! In fact, I would do them for you if I could. You earned major points for reading the entire story in one sitting -lol. I've only done that like twice in my life so I am totally flattered that you did that with this story. More importantly though, I'm glad you liked it. I'm always happy to have entertained.

As for the reason I chose "I'll Never Break Your Heart" to be their song? Well mostly it's just one of my favorite old school BSB songs and it's one of their better ones for a slow dance. BSB have a ton of those mid-tempo songs that are really kind of awkward to dance to because they aren't really fast, but they aren't really solw either, you know what I mean? Plus I just imagine Howie being the type that would express his feelings through song and this one seemed fitting because Cindy's had so much pain and hurt in her life that the last thing he would ever want to do is cause more of it, so the promise of "I'll never break your heart, I'll never make you cry"  seemed very appropriate.  But mostly I just really really like that one. ;)

And no Mare, this is not an AU. The Boys really are the boys but you don't know that for sure until really far into the story. I actully hadn't decided if it was going to be AU or not for a long time, and it could still very easily be converted into an origional fiction.  I did that on purpose, so don't feel silly about asking that question because it's hard to tell.

The story of Cinderella is so common and has been done so many times that I tried really hard to tell it in a completely fresh way. I didn't want my readers to get bored from reading something they've heard told over and over again so I kept certain aspects of it very vague on purpose. I wanted to make a very predictable story somewhat unpredictable. That's also why you can't quite guess who her "prince charming" is for a long time.(Well that and because I knewI would lose a lot of readers if they knew who it was.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SUCKERS!!! Made ya read a Howie story!!! hehe just kidding (a little) Damnit, Howie deserves as much love as Nicky!!!  I actually had someone tell me that this was the first Howie story she'd ever read and that was only because she didn't realize it was a Howie story until she was so far in that she just HAD to finish.

**sits in a corner with Lore practicing my evil laugh. Muahahahaha!**

But on the bright side now she's read a Howie story that she liked  ;D ok I'm rambling again. (we all know how I like to do that) sorry, I'll stop now. 
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster

ok sorry, justone more thing before I shut up, I have a question for all the people who have read the story. 

The one major criticism I've had for this story is that Nick seems really out of character. What do you all think? I know he is everyone's favorite so I'm sure I'm about to be booed offstage right now, but he's probably my least fave of the bunch. I honestly do see him as a bit of a cocky player type. Even when I've seen him in real life he's sort of come across that way to me. So I wrote him that way. I didn't necessarily mean to write him as a total ass hole (though it may have come out that way.) The way I see it, Cindy totally crushed his ego the first time they met and then held obvious resentment toward him. They are both stubborn and I can see Nick being defensive and one to hold a grudge so I thought it was OK that he had so much problems with Cindy. Even now I can't really see him geting along with Cindy if they were to meet in real life.

Anyway, very curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SUCKERS!!! Made ya read a Howie story!!! hehe just kidding (a little) Damnit, Howie deserves as much love as Nicky!!!  I actually had someone tell me that this was the first Howie story she'd ever read and that was only because she didn't realize it was a Howie story until she was so far in that she just HAD to finish.

But on the bright side now she's read a Howie story that she liked  ;D ok I'm rambling again. (we all know how I like to do that) sorry, I'll stop now. 

lmao aww poor Howie! One day the poor guy is going to develop a fanfic complex.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Thanks Kelly for something to distract me from writing cuz yea I was supposed to be doing a sex scene and its turning into a tickle war instead LOL... But yea enough about my problems lol. To answer you question about Nick's character... In this story I didn't really have much of a problem with it because it just sort of worked in this case. Probably because he was such a good foil to Cindy's character because they're actually a lot more alike than they'd like to admit. Although I am a Nick fan I'm pretty accepting of him acting like a jerk in fan fics. (Hello I write Sexcapades which is the epitome of Nick being a cocky bastard lol) I see it more though as like a stereotype that is used to add humor to stories. If EVERY story portrayed Nick that same way then I'd take offense but as long as its in good fun I'm okay with it. And I know that in your other stories Nick isn't written the same way.

I feel bad though that you think Nick is really like that. Honestly though I won't lie... Anytime I've had a semi close encounter to him in real life he hasn't been overly friendly, but then again the circumstances weren't exactly the best ones. Plus I'm convinced Nick isn't fond of New York City due to a certain group of fans who pretty much stalk him when he's here and I can't exactly blame him because yea they're pretty messed up... Anyway I've heard from other people he's really nice when you catch him in a good mood. He's just moody... Which is why he's such a great character to write! lol

honey

• Supreme Time Waster

aww, Mel, don'tfeel bad. -lol  It's not that I think he's a jerk. I said "cocky" and "player". To me that doesnt necessarily mean a jerk (rude and grouchy and mean and all). And honestly, the man has every right to have an ego. I know I probably would if I could cause a riot in the streets-lol. I'm sure if I ever met him in a personal setting he is probably very nice, but I can totally picture him not taking too kindly to someone crushing his ego. It's that whole defensive thing. I can totally see him as a defensive person. And rightly so, people pick on him something awful. So don't get me wrong, I'm not a Nick hater. I love NICKY! I just love the others more. And yeah, he probably is one of the most interesting characters to write. I actually portray him a little differently in each of my stories because he has so many sides. I just think that maybe people don't always want to see the side of him that I chose to show in this story because they like him so much.  But then... I may have gone a little darstic in this one.

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem

Good, I blamed you, but my mom wasn't impressed  :D

And yeah, I'm one of those readers who hardly ever read a fic in which Howie is the one that falls in love and such. You tricked me  >:( But I kept reading cause the story is that good!  ;D

The one major criticism I've had for this story is that Nick seems really out of character. What do you all think? I know he is everyone's favorite so I'm sure I'm about to be booed offstage right now, but he's probably my least fave of the bunch. I honestly do see him as a bit of a cocky player type. Even when I've seen him in real life he's sort of come across that way to me. So I wrote him that way. I didn't necessarily mean to write him as a total ass hole (though it may have come out that way.) The way I see it, Cindy totally crushed his ego the first time they met and then held obvious resentment toward him. They are both stubborn and I can see Nick being defensive and one to hold a grudge so I thought it was OK that he had so much problems with Cindy. Even now I can't really see him geting along with Cindy if they were to meet in real life.

Anyway, very curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Well, I have to agree with your opinion on Nick. *ducks to avoid rocks from other AC-members*
I've never met him, but I can totally envision him acting the way you wrote. Even though I think it's mostly a facade and there's a good guy underneath it all, I still think he could lose the attitude at times. I mean, during "The House of Carters" I saw a sweet kid that tried to protect his siblings, but also with one hell of an attitude. And I think that in public, he tends to be the cocky player mostly to protect himself from being hurt. But hey, that's just my opinion.  ;)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Back with three more questions, recycled ones but good ones lol

1) Was there anytime while you were writing this that you had a total plot shift or went into another direction you never planned?

2) If you could change one thing about your story, what if anything would it be?

3) Can you tell us what your favorite scene to write in this story is and maybe put up a small excerpt of it for us all to read and explain what you like most about it.

All of you who have read this and have a favorite scene should do the same.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster

Yay! more questions! Aren't y'all getting tired of me yet? Well I suppose if you are then you're probably just skipping this thread so I guess it's ok to run my mouth...  or... fingers I guess.

1) Was there anytime while you were writing this that you had a total plot shift or went into another direction you never planned?

surprisingly the answer to that is no. I think that's a first. Forsoe reason this one just fell into place so perfectly in the planning stage that I just whipped right through it. I never strayed and every chapter has it's specific purpose that pushes the plot along. The story is actually pretty tight which is why I think it is probably my best writing to date. Honestly, thatdoesn't usually happen. (hence "Welcome To My Heart" is like 90 something chapters. lol)

2) If you could change one thing about your story, what if anything would it be?

well there are two things. first I would try to tone down Cindy's swearing justa little.I mean she's based off of a girl I know in real life and that's actually pretty much what she sounds like, but when I read back overit I think it wouldn't hurt to have a little less (as long as it didn't change her character)  and the second is that I would have liked to find a way to make Nick just a little more likeable. I still would have kept things between him and Cindy the same. I always meant for them to sort of hate each other, but since Cindy is the one telling the story and she hates him, he comes across as a bit of an ass hole. but Ciny kind of took over when I wrote this one and she simply wouldn't let me. I guess I just hoped that the readers would see that she is a bit biased and maybe a little harsh on the poor guy. I dunno.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:33:26 PM by honey »

honey

• Supreme Time Waster

3) Can you tell us what your favorite scene to write in this story is and maybe put up a small excerpt of it for us all to read and explain what you like most about it.

******SPOILER ALERT******

oh man I have so many favorite scenes from this story. I think my overall favorite chapter to write was "Meet the Littrells"  but I'm not really sure why. I loved the scene in the mall where she meets the guys after Leighanne's makeover. I lovedthe scene of Cindy and Howie at the lake and I loved Ciny's fight with Danny in the bar. (Actually I thought of it just today as I read Cally's fight with Sebastian in Rose's "Just Another Day. I don't hate Sebastion Rose!! I understand where he's comming from-lol) 

BUT!!! My absolute favorite part of the story is the ending, the epilogue. There is a reason that Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale, best ending ever!!! so the excerpt I'm going to post is the epilogue and yes, it prettymuch gives away everything so if you are planning to read this story at all and you're not one of those totlly annoying people who goes to the book store and flips to the last page of the book to decide if you're going to read it or not,  I suggest you stop reading here....   ;D

My memory of those two weeks didn’t come back all at once. It was bits and pieces here and there, most in my dreams like the doctor had said. It was never pleasant having to relive what happened to me in my nightmares, but at least I was recovering the good memories along with the bad. Eventually though, as the swelling in my brain went down and my overall physical condition returned to normal I got back every memory I’d lost. I spent quite a bit of time in the hospital, but I never spent a day of it alone. Howie stayed by my side the entire time. And as it turns out, I had a lot more visitors than I’d ever expected.

Danny and John of course came every chance they could and Danny and I were able to patch things up. He is my fucking best friend after all, and once he saw how much Howie meant to me he got over himself. He and Howie actually became quite good friends and Howie helped him and John land one of those pimp-my-car shows on TV. Now we get drunk and watch that instead of millionaire. We place bets on how many times they have to bleep their language every episode.

Then there was my mom. Imagine my fucking surprise when she showed up in my hospital room acting like a decent human being. She really opened up to me about my father though and admitted that killing him sobered her up permanently. She checked herself into rehab and has been rebuilding her life ever since. Hal visited her every day and fucking proposed when she came home. They got married in the damn bar. It was the only time in my life I was ever a fucking bridesmaid and I had to serve the drinks at the fucking reception. It was worth it though to see my mom truly happy for once in her life, and Hal was now legitimately the father he’d always been to me.

As for me? I didn’t move to Florida with Howie like you might have expected. When it came down to it I just couldn’t leave my home and all the people I’ve ever loved. So instead Howie surprised me with keys to our new fucking house when I got out of the hospital. The place is a fucking palace and yes I said it’s OUR house. The fucking city boy moved to Hanley fucking Kentucky to be with me and practically forced me to move in with him. I felt bad for uprooting him like that but he’s rich enough that we can visit his family whenever we feel like it.

I asked him about it once though and he said it was fine because Brian and Leigh were here and it was probably best to keep at least five states between me and Nick Carter. True we get along better than we did before “midnight” as we’ve all come to call the incident with my father and the perverted tow truck driver, who after his conviction will be spending the rest of his life as some guy named Bubba’s bitch, but between you and me? That cocky ass baby of the Backstreet Boys will always bug the shit out of me. Besides, Howie says the less time we spend together, the less chance there is of a repeat double dog daring match.

It’s been exactly two years now since the day this crazy story began making today my 30th birthday. And as I stand here floating in the middle of the fucking lake wearing a wedding dress so gorgeous that it could only have been picked out by my best friend and matron of honor, I find myself lost in the enchanting eyes of my very own prince charming. It’s a fucking fairy tale wedding fit for the one and only true Cinderella. I’m even wearing the glass fucking slippers to prove it. They were a gift from Brian who still refers to himself as my fairy godmother and probably always will.

So as I listen to the preacher pronounce us man and wife and Howie throws his lips on mine I find myself asking the question do fairy tales really exist? You bet your fucking ass they do!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5