Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Fanfic cliches  (Read 19927 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Fanfic cliches
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 04:56:30 PM »

In sci fiction stories...now this a cliche thats older and not used as often, but I don't see many sci-fis anymore either. It's almost died in the BSB fanfic fandom. But having the ten destined heroes (BSB and Nsync) plus one girl who's been pulled along for the ride. Only one I saw pull it off right was Whitney, and her story The Legend was classic. But then everyone tried to do it too.

I started something like that. :D But it's five, not ten... And it's more fantasy, less sci-fi... And the woman is pulling the strings... *evil grin* Okay, not really, but... I actually plan on making it an original comic someday... it's only BSB now because I started it as a present for Nick and never finished... *shrug*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »

Friends who happen to fall in love stories make me want to vomit. I kid you not, I actually feel sick to my stomach when I open them in my browser lol

I also hate, hate, HATE..."girl goes to concert, meets *insert bsb name here*, that night they invite her on tour and they are forever in love" -- pipe dreams!

I'm tired of the stalker/kidnapping storyline but I feel that it definitely has room for innovation, and improvement. Just as long as there isn't a firey bus crash involved.

I try really hard to write outside the box, and not completely surround my fics with cliche. Obviously you're going to get a few because they wouldn't be cliche if people didn't use them, but the job is just to make it so people read it as your own, not as "same ole, same ole." It's okay to use cliches, as long as you make it your own. You can't always have a new plot -- in most cases it's impossible to have a brand new, never used before in the history of life fanfic plot.

But seriously, if there's a bus crash that leads ultimately to Nick falling in love with a forest ranger then being diagnosed with cancer caused by tanning bed exposure and too much sex then a week later he finds out some chick he slept with had his child... write something else.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »

But seriously, if there's a bus crash that leads ultimately to Nick falling in love with a forest ranger then being diagnosed with cancer caused by tanning bed exposure and too much sex then a week later he finds out some chick he slept with had his child... write something else.

Well that just killed my next story idea, thanks a lot! *deletes Swollen, Faceless chance encounter with Mare the gorgeous, pregnant best friend of Nick the kidnapped forest ranger* :(  <-- the title was too long anyways. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 06:26:46 PM »

Well that just killed my next story idea, thanks a lot! *deletes Swollen, Faceless chance encounter with Mare the gorgeous, pregnant best friend of Nick the kidnapped forest ranger* :(  <-- the title was too long anyways. lol

lmao -- I think I just hurt myself from all the laughter. :P

Now that you mention it though, I dislike it when writers use their own name as the main female character!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 06:28:58 PM »

LMFAO okay I almost choked on my soda between you and Mare just now.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 06:30:55 PM »

lmao -- I think I just hurt myself from all the laughter. :P

Now that you mention it though, I dislike it when writers use their own name as the main female character!

My GOD me too! lmao but see I think that's more of a pet peeve than a cliche. Although it could fall into both.

lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »

My GOD me too! lmao but see I think that's more of a pet peeve than a cliche. Although it could fall into both.

lol

I agree that it could be both because too many people do it, therefore it's done far too often AND it's a pet peeve.
~Maple Jellybean~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »

lol

It also falls into Mary Sue territory too lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 06:40:24 PM »

LMFAO okay I almost choked on my soda between you and Mare just now.

hehehe yay! We made Rose laugh!

And yes I didn't even think about Mary Sue...godness I hate her lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »

hehehe yay! We made Rose laugh!

And yes I didn't even think about Mary Sue...godness I hate her lol

We are just that good *sizzle*
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 06:47:11 PM »

Yes we are! lmao

bananaaddict

• Captain of Commotion
    • The Original Nick Chicks
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 09:02:17 PM »

This thread has drawn me in.  I guess its because I hate cliches too.  I find myself looking for unique stories, but they get harder and harder to come by.  Another thing I hate, which is more a pet peeve, is people who use a TON of flashbacks.  I know I'm guilty of using them, but I try to limit it.  I do have a dilema though.  How do you tell the back story without using flashbacks? 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 09:10:55 PM »

This thread has drawn me in.  I guess its because I hate cliches too.  I find myself looking for unique stories, but they get harder and harder to come by.  Another thing I hate, which is more a pet peeve, is people who use a TON of flashbacks.  I know I'm guilty of using them, but I try to limit it.  I do have a dilema though.  How do you tell the back story without using flashbacks? 

Oh yes, the flashback lol that's another one. The thing I don't enjoy about those are when people actually write

---------flashback--------- if we can't tell it's a flashback you're doing somethng wrong.

But let's see how to go back to the past without flashing back...*rubs chin to reminisce*

---------flashes back to when I wrote flashbacks-------

I think using italics helps sometimes instead of flashing back just going inside someone's head to find out what happened? Or sometimes using dialogue to tell  a story about what happened in the past but keeping it real time? Those are two things I use, or also the use of a journal or diary, having the character reading it out loud, although that can be a bit cliched as well.

----------ends flashing back to flashingback-----------

^ as long as you don't use those lol

:)

bananaaddict

• Captain of Commotion
    • The Original Nick Chicks
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 09:20:14 PM »

I think using italics helps sometimes instead of flashing back just going inside someone's head to find out what happened? Or sometimes using dialogue to tell  a story about what happened in the past but keeping it real time? Those are two things I use, or also the use of a journal or diary, having the character reading it out loud, although that can be a bit cliched as well.

Yeah, I use italics for flashbacks now, but I didn't want it to be too much.  I thought about a dialogue with another person, but right now the main character is alone and this event needs to be told while she's alone.  I may try the journal thing.  Hopefully I can pull it off without seeming too cliched.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 09:33:32 PM »

^ aww good luck! :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8