Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Review Site  (Read 20586 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Review Site
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »

Weekend would be good... I know the time zone difference is an issue, but it's probably gonna be impossible to get EVERYONE in a chat at the same time anyway, so someone just needs to pick a time and we'll go with it.  The rubric can always be modified after the fact if other people have suggestions - we just need to get a draft of it put together. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2007, 03:29:19 PM »

Alrighty! ;D
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »

Well, let's see... I'm Mountain, Julie's Central, Mare and Mel are Eastern...

I don't know either. I'm usually around on the weekends, so... Just kind of pick a time and I'll try my very best to be there, which really shouldn't be too hard.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2007, 09:50:51 PM »

Which would be better... afternoon, evening, or night, and Saturday or Sunday?  Throw some answers out there.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2007, 10:01:32 PM »

Saturday. Since I have school on Monday and a dentist appointment, anytime Saturday is better, I think.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2007, 10:23:07 PM »

Hrmm Saturday night might work best for me, but if you do it without me it's okay lol because i'm still not sure it's something I can completely commit too just yet. I would love to help with the rubric but I can always suggest things after the fact. But yes, this weekend Saturday night would be the best time for me. Saturday afternoon i'll be busy and not sure what's going on Sunday.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2007, 10:49:16 PM »

Sunday would actually be better for me because I have work on Sat from 1:30-10. Sunday I'm pretty much open all day

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »

Sorry I haven't answered in a gazillion years. I'm only slowly getting back into things again. (I've been having a lot of trouble with my short term memory since getting hit in the head a few months back). I'm finally getting back on my feet, though, and learning to think in new ways. Yay me.

Anyhoo, I have not caught up on any of these message boards so you may have already come up with a solution, but I'd be more than happy to link up the review site. If you need a place to host it, I'd be happy to put it on one of my servers. (Or if you've already found solutions to this and I just haven't read it yet, that's cool too...;) )

--Ash

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »

Chaos lives, hooray!
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »

Okay, just because it's already Saturday night and I haven't heard from too many people, let's hold off on the chat by now.  By the time we find out what messenger programs people have, it'll already be Sunday night LOL.

But, in scouring through my site, I did find an archived version of the review I got for Broken.  I'll post the areas and point values it covered, cause I think it did a good job at covering most areas.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2007, 07:19:02 PM »

Aww hello i'm here, just got here a few minutesd ago.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »

okay the anal organizational queen in me is going t make a suggestion because at this point a lot of people say they want to help but I think we need to know who is for real and who is wishy washy about it because I would hate to have to wait for people who really aren't all that into it so why don't we do this. I'm going to make another thread and sticky it for the weekend and in it you should post ONLY if you want to make a commitment to this review site.

I'll ask you to be specific lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2007, 07:35:40 PM »

Example rubric, borrowed from "Changes Reviews"...
(The blurbs below each category, I'm just making up myself, based on things the reviewer wrote about my story.)

Title:
Author:
Reviewer:

Design
__ / 5 points
Overall presentation of story on a website - is it easy to read?  Are the font/background styles and colors tasteful or distracting and hard to read?  If there are graphics, do they add to the story, or are they too big or unappealing for whatever reason?  Is the story easy to navigate?  

Intro
__ / 5 points
Does the summary make the story sound appealing?  Does it pique your curiosity?  How about the first sentence?  Do you want to keep reading after the initial sentence or paragraph?  Is the intro bogged down by character lists, unnecessary descriptions of characters, or the like?

Title
__ / 5 points
Is the title interesting?  Is it original?  Does it fit with the story (after reading it)?

First impression
__ / 10 points
After checking out the story and reading the first chapter, what is your first impression?  Is it something you want to keep reading, or one you're already groaning about having to review?  What elements of the story gave you this impression?

Characters
__ / 15 points
The main characters... are they believable?  Do they express emotion realistically?  Are they multi-dimensional and not just full of cliches and stereotypes?  Do they have flaws and quirks?  How about the supporting characters?  They may not be the main focus, but they're still important.  Are they believable too?  How about villains?  Do they have motives?  Emotions?

Plot
__ / 15
Is the storyline original?  Or does it take an unoriginal idea in a new direction?  Does it have enough action/drive to keep moving, or does it fall flat in the middle?  IS there an actual storyline, with building action, conflict, and resolution, or does it just seem like a random sequence of events?

Development
__ / 15
Goes along with the development of the plot.  Is the story too short to properly develop the plot, or is it too wordy and drawn out?  Are all conflicts developed and then resolved in a way that is appropriate to the story?  Does the story "flow"?

Emotion
__ / 5
Does the story invoke the right kind of emotion in the reader?  Do you laugh when it's supposed to be funny, cry (or at least feel sad) when it's supposed to be sad, gasp when it's supposed to be shocking, etc?  Is it written in a way that can get an emotional reaction out of a reader?

Grammar/Spelling
__ / 10
Self-explanatory.

Originality
__ / 5
How original is the story?  Even if the basic idea is not original, does it add originality by taking the idea in a new direction, adding twists?  Do the characters lend originality to the story, or are they just as cliched as the plot?

The After Effect
__ / 5
Is this a story that stays in your head after reading, beyond just thinking about it for the sake of reviewing?  Is it thought-provoking?  Does it have moments you think about days later?  Or is it just simply forgettable?

Code
__ /5
There was a code for the site you had to put on the story's page to get the points here.

Overall
__ / 100 (the points add up to this)
Overall comments here.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2007, 07:37:07 PM »

okay the anal organizational queen in me is going t make a suggestion because at this point a lot of people say they want to help but I think we need to know who is for real and who is wishy washy about it because I would hate to have to wait for people who really aren't all that into it so why don't we do this. I'm going to make another thread and sticky it for the weekend and in it you should post ONLY if you want to make a commitment to this review site.

I'll ask you to be specific lol

Sounds good!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2007, 07:38:21 PM »

About the example rubric I posted... I think it's pretty good; it covers a lot of ground.  Some of the categories seem to overlap a bit, so that's sometihng we might want to talk about and clarify further.  Also, we might want to add other things, so let's hear some suggestions if you have them.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8