Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Review Site  (Read 20532 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Review Site
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2007, 07:40:06 PM »

Anyhoo, I have not caught up on any of these message boards so you may have already come up with a solution, but I'd be more than happy to link up the review site. If you need a place to host it, I'd be happy to put it on one of my servers. (Or if you've already found solutions to this and I just haven't read it yet, that's cool too...;) )

Good to see you back, Ash!  I had offered to host the review site on my domain if we didn't hear back from you, which I still have no problem doing, but if you wanna put it on one of yours to associate it more with AC, that'd be great!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2007, 07:40:51 PM »

About the example rubric I posted... I think it's pretty good; it covers a lot of ground.  Some of the categories seem to overlap a bit, so that's sometihng we might want to talk about and clarify further.  Also, we might want to add other things, so let's hear some suggestions if you have them.

Yup, and the design thing would probably go away since we are talking about the AC forum and everyone as the same design I have an area for suggestions in the thread I just made lol

That rubric is a pretty good example
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2007, 07:41:26 PM »

^ ooh I thought it was just AC stories lol my bad.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2007, 07:55:40 PM »

^ I think that was the original idea.  I guess that's something we should decide - is it going to be just for AC stories, or can anyone submit?

And I was thinking about that too - if it is just AC, the design thing would need to be modified.  I think something like graphics could still be taken into account somewhere though... like, if you didn't have a graphic at all, it wouldn't hurt you, but if you do have one that is completely distracting and unappealing, that could lose points, whereas a really nice one that attracts your attention and fits the story could get you points.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2007, 08:27:52 PM »

^ true although by including graphics were also condoning banners lmao *kicks banners*

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »

^ true although by including graphics were also condoning banners lmao *kicks banners*

Only small banners.  You would automatically get a 0 if your banner was bigger than the requirements and just hadn't been caught yet... hahaha. ;)

I like banners as long as they're not obnoxiously ginormous.  It's like having a cover by which to judge the book. :D
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »

Well, I think if you were including banners it should follows these requirements:

~if it fits the requirements, banner can be on preview page (larger banners must be on subsequent chapter or points will not be given in full)
~banner serves as an addition to the story
~etc, etc. (some of the things Julie mentioned before)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2007, 09:26:16 PM »

^ Yeah, that makes sense.

And it really doesn't have to be a part of anything.  It works more as part of the presentation thing on a site the author put up themselves - but since everyone's story pretty much looks the same on AC, I'm not sure it's important enough.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2007, 09:26:57 PM »

Ooh, or maybe it could be involved with the summary.  If they have a bannner posted with the summary, it could either earn or lose them an extra point or something.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »

Or in the first chapter, supposing they'd wanted to keep their big graphic.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »

okay my two cents on banners. I really am of the belief that if you feel like you need a banner on your story it's lacking in some way. I know there are just plain artistic people who love to make them like you Dee, you are an art person, it makes sense to have a banner but I just think judging a banner is silly, unless it's a picture book type fanfic. I know i'm probably alone on that thinking lol and i'll go with whatever you guys choose but banners have always been the one thing I thought was silly to represent a fic. Sorry to all the banner lovers out there, I know I have just made some enemies lol
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:55:36 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2007, 11:19:49 PM »

LOL no, I agree with you, Mare.  I think a banner is more part of the overall presentation of the story, nothing more.  It serves a similar purpose to a summary - something to attract you to the story.  I equate it to the cover of a book.  When I'm browsing in a bookstore, an interesting cover is what makes me pick up a book... but then I automatically flip it over and read the back, cause the summary is what will really determine whether or not I think it sounds interesting.  The picture is just something to catch my eye in the first place.  I see the point of having them, but I definitely don't think the story as a whole should be judged on the basis of a banner.  Like I said, if we were doing something with overall presentation, that's where I could see a banner factoring in.

Personally, I make them because I enjoy making graphics, and I'm a visual person, so it inspires me to have a visual to go with my stories sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:21:37 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2007, 11:58:14 PM »

^ I use them too on my own site but more so people wil have something to click on to get into the story. lol I know it did work for Facelss for me. That graphic of the newspaper article is what drew me in and made me feature it on my site.

and we know how that went for me lol

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2007, 12:03:06 AM »

I dunno... I like banners actually. They kind of give me a little insight to the story and in the case of romances or fics that are not centered around the guys only it gives me an idea of what the other characters might look like. And they look pretty lol. I'm a visual person though...

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2007, 01:09:33 AM »

I know there are just plain artistic people who love to make them like you Dee, you are an art person, it makes sense to have a banner

To be fair, I've actually never made my banners... Since Photoshop and the like are my enenmies, but I am starting to understand GIMP... though it's more a graphics coloring program than a photo manipulation prgram... But I did envision my banners myself... So I guess the original idea is mine, but te finished product is always someone else's... *feels bad*
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8