Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: July Picture Challenge  (Read 16506 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: July Picture Challenge
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »

Zogg. :D

At least it's better than my naming method...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 11:56:51 AM »

haha thanks Mare. I wasn't sure because it had aliens but they also went to another world... video game world = si-fi  ... got it.   Oh and Kevin is plastered in the corner right before his brain gets exploded, but I went back after you said that and realized that I hardly even mentioned it. I was picturing it, but somehow it didn't make it across very well. Oh well, it was like 2 in the morning or something and I was practically delirious (hence they both look like Rambo and say stuff like "blow this bitch")   

Either way, si'fi/fantasy... Kevin/Howie... blood and guts and flesh eating monsters... it was a far stretch for me. Haha I should have added a romance subplot between Howie and Zogg or something.   
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 12:06:24 PM »

Either way, si'fi/fantasy... Kevin/Howie... blood and guts and flesh eating monsters... it was a far stretch for me. Haha I should have added a romance subplot between Howie and Zogg or something.   

lmao well, maybe next time  :P save it for the sci fi slash pic challenge!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 02:56:53 PM »

Is Sci-Fi like, Super Heroes? Yanno, Batman, Spiderman, etc.? I'm not 100% sure what Sci-Fi is - well, other than Star Trek......Hmm. ...I've a feeling I once started a BSB/Star Trek Cross-over, but I've no idea where it is or what happened to it. Lol.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »

Hey Lenni,

There is a pretty detailed definition between the two in this thread because Kelly was asking earlier.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »

Super heroes can be fantasy.... It depends...

Like Sailor Moon, you've probably seen that... The whol tranforming magic powers thing, that's fatasy.

Batman who just puts on a costume... Not so much.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 08:53:37 PM »

Hey Lenni,

There is a pretty detailed definition between the two in this thread because Kelly was asking earlier.

and strangely, I still am not quite sure what the difference is...  Though I don't think super heroes are necessarily either. Batman isn't either I don't think. He's just a regular guy with lots of money and some super cool toys.  He's like james bond but with an attitude problem and a bat suit...  Superman though, is an alien so he is si-fi... at least I think anyway.   I'm still so lost on what is fantasy though... I must be dumb... But I know like The Never Ending Story and Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings and stuff is fantasy, but I didn't realize Salior Moon was, so I don't get it.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 09:40:40 PM »

Well... if we're being tecnical, Bishoujou Senshi Sailor Moon is Mahou shoujou sentai, but...

Yes, magic powers and transformation is fantasy. Even Yuugiou is fantasy in a way... It's actually historical fantasy. :D Trandforming into a three thousand-year-old Pharaoh.... Sorry, if I spoiled it for anyone... *shrug* Doubt anyone here ever planned on reading/watching it, so....

According to Wiki:

"Fantasy is a genre of art that uses magic and other supernatural forms as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting. The genre is generally distinguished from science fiction and horror by overall look, feel, and theme of the individual work, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three (collectively known as speculative fiction). In its broadest sense, fantasy comprises works by many writers, artists, filmmakers, and musicians, from ancient myths and legends to many recent works embraced by a wide audience today.

The genre of fantasy is generally distinguished from other works that may use things believed to be impossible by its internal consistency (the marvels do not alter their behavior without reason in a work) and its presentation as true in its context.

Traits of Fantasy: The identifying traits of fantasy are the inclusion of fantastic elements in a self-coherent setting. Within such a structure, any location of the fantastical element is possible: it may be hidden in, or leak into the apparently real world setting, it may draw the characters into a world with such elements, or it may occur entirely in a fantasy world setting, where such elements are part of the world.

Within a given work, the elements must not only obey rules, but for plot reasons, must also contain limits to allow both the heroes and the villains means to fight; magical elements must come with prices, or the story would become unstructured.

The article continues here...

Here's a discussion of Fantasy in film.

Hope that helps. :)

And if you'll go here, just for kicks if you will, you'll notice that both comics/animes I mentioned at the top of this post are in fact listed. :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 09:51:45 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 09:48:42 PM »

Wow, now that's a challenge.  My writing is 99% Brian, with one story from Kev's POV (though... that's really one about Brian and him).  Strictly Kevin and Howie with the others as lesser characters... Let's see if I can do that in one month, unlike my attempt for last month's pic challenge.   :o

Maggie

Howdy all!

OKay well, because we are talking sci fi fantasy this month your challenge will go along with this genre. I know many of us aren't comfortable with sci fi and I know many of us aren't comfortable writing Kevin and or Howie so the challenge is this!

Write a short story with the two main players being Kevin and Howie  ;)

~ It has to be sci-fi or fantasy

~ You can have the other guys in it too but they shouldn't be the main focus

~ Add at least one original character. This character has to be from another world of some kind whether it be an alien life form or a demon or a talking grapefruit lol

~ You have to explain why Kevin is positioned the way he is in the picture.

Now is the time for all the sci fi  and fantasy writers to step up and try this, some of the romance people submitted last month I want to see some of you submit this month! *looks at the sci fi and fantasy people on the forum* and of course everyone else too. The purpose of a challenge is to challenge yourself to write something you wouldn't normally write, right? lol

Good luck and have fun!

"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 10:16:30 PM »

See it's bad when the definition of fantasy is confusing before you even try to write it! It sounded like you were sneezing up there Dee with all the suhismishi mahajama sailor moon talk lol

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 10:25:33 PM »

Well, its like I mentioned earlier with vampire stories... Fantasy, science fiction, and horror can all cross at indistinct points... It just depends on which elements it has the most of.

That sneezing comment made me sad in a way because all I did was romanize an actual language (Japanese)... But yeah, I guess it's difficult when it's an unknown thing... Probably should have mentioned "mahou shoujou sentai" is "magical girl team fighting." :)
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 10:31:58 PM »

Well, its like I mentioned earlier with vampire stories... Fantasy, science fiction, and horror can all cross at indistinct points... It just depends on which elements it has the most of.

That sneezing comment made me sad in a way because all I did was romanize an actual language (Japanese)... But yeah, I guess it's difficult when it's an unknown thing... Probably should have mentioned "mahou shoujou sentai" is "magical girl team fighting." :)

lol yes, that would have helped. especially the magical part.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 10:39:29 PM »

I think I said earlier she fights with magical powers... *shrug* I forget these things sometimes... Those genres are like second nature to me so... :-[
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 10:48:16 PM »

Yes, I can tell which is a good thing. :)

I have never understood fantasy in the anime sense which I think you are talking about now, it's just not something I could ever get into. A lot of my students love it though. I'll stop talking now lol I do think I have an idea for the challenge though so woot to that!

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 10:53:09 PM »

I think the thing about anime is, generally you have to find something to draw you into it. For me it was the Egyptian aspect of Yuugiou... Which is odd, considering more than half the series is dedicated not to that, but to playing a children's card game. :D It's kind of like fan fic, movies, and other literature... There's always something you will like especially and it willl pull you into other things. Or somethign like that...

I never make much sense... ^_^;

I might try this one at the end of the month, it would probably be fairly easy. :D But I'm attempting to finish PBox, so... At least I finally found a direction for my current chapter. Yay.

Kudos for having an idea. :) I'm excited.
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5